• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 09)

Buttchin

13924995.JPG

Very interesting stuff....

Undeux

SoulPlaya said:
Do you only read sci-fi/fantasy books? Maybe you need a change of genre to rekindle your interest in literature?
I actually almost never read it, mostly classics and nonfiction. Kind of felt like something a little more fun though.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Undeux said:
I actually almost never read it, mostly classics and nonfiction. Kind of felt like something a little more fun though.
Oh, if that's the case, then get to readin' "A Song of Ice and Fire". It's exactly what you need.

Undeux

SoulPlaya said:
Oh, if that's the case, then get to readin' "A Song of Ice and Fire". It's exactly what you need.
Definitely a good suggestion, but I already read it a few years ago. :-/

Don't really want to reread it until the next book comes out, but I might anyway.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Undeux said:
Already did a few years ago. Don't really want to reread it until the next book comes out, but I might anyway.
Lol, well then, I'm out of options. I know very little about the sci-fi genre besides "A Song of Ice and Fire".

Concept17

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Just started the series a couple weeks ago...read and watched the first 3... going to do the same with the next 3. I used to think HP looked dumb as hell years back, but after finally trying to read them, I now fully understand why so many people love it.

Flangus

Neo Member
Woodward's Bush at War series. I'm on the last book now. It's been really interesting to follow the shift in the way Woodward perceived Bush. He was practically calling him a visionary in the first book, and the third book's title was State of Denial. I think I'm going to follow them up with Strategery, a book about the 2004 election with a definite pro-Bush bias that I've wanted to read for a while regardless because the author seems to have had significant access to Bush. Woodward's books barely ever mentioned the political side of the equation, but I love that stuff.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Mike Works said:
okay, i figured this would be as good a thread as any to ask this:

after having read and enjoyed the gaf-recommended Heroes Die, i've been looking forward to reading the sequel, but my main two sources of buying books here in Canada (Amazon and Chapters) both don't have it in print. this is actually the first time i've ever experienced this.

does anyone have a good recommendation on how i can get this book? it's named Blades of Tyshalle
Woohoo! I finally got someone to read the Caine books :D I've been trying to promote this series for nearly a decade now.

Apparently Stover was told that Blade of Tyshalle's length (~800 pages) made a reprint unfeasible. It's a damned shame because Heroes Die managed to stay in circulation thanks to his Star Wars novels and obviously a good portion of the readers of that one would check out its followup.

It's available as an eBook now if that's of any use. My online searching didn't find any better deals than what Aidan found at Abe Books. Maybe try the used bookstores in your area.

Salazar

Mortimer J. Adler's 'Philosopher at Large'. He taught Trilling and Barzun. Excellent account of the 'Great Books / Western Civ' program at Columbia.

Also, Austin Grossman's 'Soon I Will Be Invincible'. I was looking for the Magician book written by his brother, Lev, but this (a satiric superhero novel) is good in the meantime. Chip Kidd cover, which is generally a promising sign.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Dan said:
Woohoo! I finally got someone to read the Caine books :D I've been trying to promote this series for nearly a decade now.

Apparently Stover was told that Blade of Tyshalle's length (~800 pages) made a reprint unfeasible. It's a damned shame because Heroes Die managed to stay in circulation thanks to his Star Wars novels and obviously a good portion of the readers of that one would check out its followup.

It's available as an eBook now if that's of any use. My online searching didn't find any better deals than what Aidan found at Abe Books. Maybe try the used bookstores in your area.

I've been trying to find Blade of Tyshalle for a number of years as well without success. Want to read that before I read Caine Black Knife (or whatever the new Caine-book is called).

Currently reading (in addition to Feast of Souls)

IMAG0023.jpg

Fritz

just started Steinbeck's the Pastures of Heaven

pastures1.jpg

Wikipedia said:
The Pastures of Heaven is a book by John Steinbeck, first published in 1932, consisting of twelve interconnected stories about a valley in Monterey, California, which was discovered by a Spanish corporal while chasing runaway Indian slaves. Enchanted by the valley's natural beauty, the corporal names it Las Pasturas del Cielo or "The Pastures of Heaven." The stories are written in classic Steinbeck style; the lives of the families that relocate to the valley are portrayed with a mixture of humor and poignance. A recurring theme in the book is the pain caused when people try ineptly to help or to please others.

bodes very well. I love Steinbeck, I really do.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Keen said:
I've been trying to find Blade of Tyshalle for a number of years as well without success. Want to read that before I read Caine Black Knife (or whatever the new Caine-book is called).

Currently reading (in addition to Feast of Souls)

IMAG0023.jpg

How many pages and how smalls the font?

I read Midnight Tides recently and enjoyed it quite a bit, found out that theres going to be 10 books in the Malazan series but if they are as long as Midnight tides i dont think i will ever get to them.

X26

Banned
snuff-chuck-p.jpg

Started and finished Snuff yesterday, my first Chuck Palahniuk book and it was fucking terrible, might be the worst book I've ever read. Luckily I didn't buy it, somehow he commands ridiculous prices despite the length (and apparently, quality) of his books. I also have choke and rant on hold at the library, hopefully they're better.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
How many pages and how smalls the font?

I read Midnight Tides recently and enjoyed it quite a bit, found out that theres going to be 10 books in the Malazan series but if they are as long as Midnight tides i dont think i will ever get to them.

Ton of pages and small font. Don't have it in front of me, so can't be more precise.
Wait, you read Midnight Tides first? Why? It's the fifth book of the series, Dust of Dreams is book 9.
They're all pretty much the lenght of Midnight Tides, but I do recommend them very much. One of the better fantasy series around, but they are door stoppers the bunch of them.

Try one of his novellas, Blood Follows, The Healthy Dead or The Lee's of Laughter's End. They are much much shorter and you can get a feel for his writing, without diving into another mammoth book. IMO though Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice (books 2 and 3) are among the best fantasy novels out there, so I really think you should give them a shot.

ultron87

Went to the book store yesterday.

Was going to get Infinite Jest, but they were sold out.

Decided to get Game of Thrones instead and give that a shot. Hopefully all the hype isn't lying/hasn't raised my expectations too high.

Still have 100 pages left in Olympos, but I'll probably finish that tonight or tomorrow since I have the rest of the week off from work.

Lorr

Just finished the Hitchhikers series and it was great. I actually liked how it ended.

Alivor said:
Reading Catch-22 for summer reading...I'm not too far into it. It's pretty decent so far.

Starting this today, looking forward to it.

YagizY

X26 said:
Started and finished Snuff yesterday, my first Chuck Palahniuk book and it was fucking terrible, might be the worst book I've ever read. Luckily I didn't buy it, somehow he commands ridiculous prices despite the length (and apparently, quality) of his books. I also have choke and rant on hold at the library, hopefully they're better.

Choke and Survivor are your best bet. Snuff is garbage.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Salazar said:
Mortimer J. Adler's 'Philosopher at Large'. He taught Trilling and Barzun. Excellent account of the 'Great Books / Western Civ' program at Columbia.

How is that? I actually like Trilling and Barzun a lot more than him (bookwise) but that whole era was so influential on so many American thinkers.

Salazar

Musashi Wins! said:
How is that? I actually like Trilling and Barzun a lot more than him (bookwise) but that whole era was so influential on so many American thinkers.

Well, the influence was more direct than that. Mort was teaching the Great Books seminar—with Mark van Doren—when Barzun and Trilling took it. He says, unsurprisingly, that Barzun ended up teaching him, and carried on doing so all through life. Clifton Fadiman was there, too.

Barzun's 'On Writing, Editing, and Publishing: Essays Hortatory and Explicative' is damned fine.

thomaser

Finished Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, which was an excellent intrigue... and much more enjoyable than Sense and Sensibility. Now, about to start The Crossing, the second book in Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Reading Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain

Maybe a bit over a quarter of the way in and so far it's really, really cheesy. One irritating bit is that they'll mention something like rigor mortis and then go on to give you a paragraph or two of in depth explanation about it.

There's also a character named Eldritch. Come on now.

Edit: Finished. 2/5 at best. It manages to find itself about half way in, but it doesn't really do anything worth noting and the "vampires", other than the main antagonist, are more like the creatures in Christopher Rowley's Vang novels than anything.

So, I don't recommend it unless you're a Del Toro super-freak or something. The writing is average-ville.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
On Book 7 of the Dresden Files -

2lxfjsx.jpg

Over halfway done; at the part where
Harry is drafted into the Wardens.

All I have to say is fuck YES. Not just at what I spoilered, but all the stuff leading up to it over the last couple dozen pages;
the Vampire War is kicking into gear, Chicago has gone to hell, there are massively powerful necromancers running around everywhere, and Harry's about to summon the fucking Erlking, not to mention Harry being possessed and at risk of being judged and killed by the White Council any second.
This series got noticeably better around book 4 or so I think, and if this current pace keeps up Dead Beat has marked another noticeable shift to the positive.

50 pages left with Ubik, I'm really enjoying it. My favourite from Philip K. Dick so far (between it, Electric Sheep and A Scanner Darkly).

Salazar

Mr. Bunnies said:
How can someone recommend Terry Goodkind and only give GRRM a passing mention.

Fuck that guy.

Yes, it's a ghastly list. The fact that you cannot comfortably mention Goodkind without expressing reservations about his style, his politics, and his personality should exclude him from all lists of preference and recommendation - let alone a shortish list, and let alone one in the New Yorker.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I've just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - very good book and a fitting end to the Harry Potter saga.

Started reading Seeing Indians - A Study of Race, Nation and Power in El Salvador by Virginia Tilley. It's about why in the Salvadoran national consciousness there exists a perception that distinct indigenous populations no longer exist and that El Salvador is an ethnically/racially unified society (as opposed to neighbouring Guatemala) despite demographic evidence to the contrary.

It all hinges on an ethnic cleansing / terror campaign by the army that took place in 1932 against Indian populations (it was basically a response to rumours of or the beginnings of a communist uprising among the peasantry and Indian populations) and how from that moment on, Nahuat/Lenca Indians shed their ethnic identities in order to escape further discrimination. Since then, Indian populations aren't ever mentioned in the national dialogue and when they are, they're spoken about purely in terms of class and lumped in with the rest of the peasantry.

It's very dry so far and speaks using a bunch of political science theories I'm not familiar with. I'll stick with it, but it seems like a long slog.

EDIT: Reading a bit further, I admire her insistence on sticking to her guns, but a lot of her hypotheses have really quite tenuous connections to reality. Her comments on the history and politics leading up to the situation are interesting, but watching her trying to whip something interesting or illuminating out of the contemporary scene is a little boring, mostly because whatever indianist groups there are in El Salvador tend to draw different parts of their identity from neighbouring countries (especially Guatemala), rather than internally.
Just finished reading this (yes, I know I'm replying to myself).

I realise that her argument was that El Salvador's Indian (i.e. indigenous) population still exists despite widespread notions that this is not the case, but I still get the impression that she's trying to make something out of (almost) nothing. The way her argument goes is that while the Matanza was the last Indian uprising and lots of people were killed, the Nahuat and Lenca populations didn't commit auto-ethnicide (racial boundaries at that stage were really quite blurry) as a result.

Apparently, just prior to this uprising, political thought in Latin America started to really tack onto the idea of La Raza - that is to say, the Latin American race, the glorious pan-continental mestizo racial-cultural fusion that would form a unified bloc to stand united against the rapacious Anglo-Saxon yanquis up north. As a result, older ideas on race/class/cultural identity were left by the wayside and most births from then on began to be classed as mestizo rather than indio, ladino or (very rarely) blanco, negro or mulato.

Essentially, after a certain point, anyone with even a trace of mixed heritage was classified as mestizo, where formerly, they'd have been designated as ladino or indio. After a few decades, racial categories were dropped from government rhetoric altogether - they were now functionally useless. They switched to speaking in terms of class.

A few decades of this sort of regime later and you end up with areas that still have vestigial use of Nahuat and distinctive accents but who to the outsider are indistinguishable from your run-of-the-mill country peasants.

Stealth

Monroeski said:
On Book 7 of the Dresden Files -

Over halfway done; at the part where
Harry is drafted into the Wardens.

All I have to say is fuck YES. Not just at what I spoilered, but all the stuff leading up to it over the last couple dozen pages;
the Vampire War is kicking into gear, Chicago has gone to hell, there are massively powerful necromancers running around everywhere, and Harry's about to summon the fucking Erlking, not to mention Harry being possessed and at risk of being judged and killed by the White Council any second.
This series got noticeably better around book 4 or so I think, and if this current pace keeps up Dead Beat has marked another noticeable shift to the positive.

The end of that book is probably the my favorite segment of any in the Dresden books that I've read. Things get really fucking crazy in White Night, too, but you're in for a real treat with the resolution of Dead Beat.

Salazar said:
Yes, it's a ghastly list. The fact that you cannot comfortably mention Goodkind without expressing reservations about his style, his politics, and his personality should exclude him from all lists of preference and recommendation - let alone a shortish list, and let alone one in the New Yorker.

Eh, I'm not really put off my an authors views if he/she can tell a good story. I don't think he(Goodkind) can.

Back on topic, just ordered...

far_gen.jpg

Jarlaxle

alternade said:
House of leaves of probably the scariest and hardest to read book ive ever owned. Footnotes that go on for pages, and the way its writen is vivid

I'm in the middle of this right now as well. I had also heard that it was pretty scary, but it hasn't scared me at all until tonight. I'm about 350 pages in and finally it's starting to give me chills. That's not to say that I don't think it's fantastic otherwise. One of the most interesting and in my opinion well thought out novels I've read. The way he plays with the narrative structure is truly unique.

The way he does the footnotes remind me of Susannah Clark's novel, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell but only on crack.

I'm loving this book so much right now.

Jarlaxle

Mr. Bunnies said:
Eh, I'm not really put off my an authors views if he/she can tell a good story. I don't think he(Goodkind) can.

The first couple of Sword of Truth novels were actually very good imo. It all started to fall apart (as documented by nearly everyone) around book 5. (Although I also liked Faith of the Fallen). Goodkind is just such a pompous ass that it's almost hard to like the beginning novels now.

I mean, this guy actually thinks he is Richard. You've seen his picture in the back of the books right?

Dan said:

Pretty sure that was me. :p Anyway, there's no worry about length impeding sustained publication with Caine Black Knife. It's probably the reason why he released it as he did - the first in a two-part story.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:

:lol It really is a self-fulfilling prophecy: read only the mass-market hits within any genre and you'll constantly miss the critical successes. An atrocious article, from the condescending assumptions to the actual recommendations themselves.

tekumseh said:
Every summer for at least 20 years, I've worked my way through these:

250px-FooteVols1-3.jpg
The Civil War, A Narrative by Shelby Foote

In my estimation, Foote is easily the best observer of history I've ever read, with apologies to Doris Kearns Goodwin, Stephen Ambrose, and James McPherson among others. Spanning almost 3000 pages, I've never once not been able to complete the series once I've started it. If you have any interest in US history, these books are requisite reading....

I listened to these on Audiobooks last year, ignited a love in me for Civil War history, excellent books, Foote does such a good job of storytelling that even at 3000 pages, (or divided into ~30 audiobooks) it's a riveting tale.

I'm currently working my way through this:
039587744X.gif

Chancellorsville is my favorite battle of the civil war. So far Sears does a great job of telling the story.

just started Red Seas Under Red Skies, the sequel to The Lies of Locke Lamora

this is the first time i've ever read 3 books at the same time :lol

mujun

I finished Way of the Shadows a couple of days ago. Enjoyed it but felt it was part brilliance and part silly overdone cliched fantasy which left me a bit conflicted as to how I felt about it overall.

Started Perdido Street Station and I'm still trying to get through Singularity Sky, it drags a bit.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Stealth said:
The end of that book is probably the my favorite segment of any in the Dresden books that I've read. Things get really fucking crazy in White Night, too, but you're in for a real treat with the resolution of Dead Beat.
Just finished chapter 38.
I knew as soon as he went back to the museum that somebody was going to animate the T-Rex, but I assumed it would be lying in wait as a trap for Harry. Never in my wildest dreams did I think HE would animate it, and with Butters keeping it up in his polka suit. :lol

This ending is going to be fucking bad ASS.

Alucard

Banned
I can't believe how long it's taking me to get through Assassin's Quest. I'm enjoying it, but just haven't had much time to devote to it.

tim1138

This month I've read the entire City of Ember series (which isn't saying much since they're YA books), One Second After and am not about halfway through It Feels So Good When I Stop.
I've also read a bunch of Green Lantern graphic novels as well.

Alucard said:
I can't believe how long it's taking me to get through Assassin's Quest. I'm enjoying it, but just haven't had much time to devote to it.

Wow, I'm reading the same book and thinking the same thing. After reading The Royal Assassin, I went right into Assassin's Quest against my better judgment.

I don't mind long books but these books are looooong. Deceptively long. This book is only 750 pages which isn't longer than most other books I read. I think the difference is that there's comparatively little dialogue in these books. So it's page after page of long paragraphs with no breaks. Every page is packed full.

They're good books but I'm ready for a break. Halfway through the third book in a trilogy is not where the reader should be tempted to give up, but I am. I'm on page 450 and I haven't touched it in several days now.

I do want to know what happens to
Regal. I hope he gets killed real good.

At the same time, I'm let down by the personality change in
The Fool
. He was one of my favorite characters and I feel like he's changed a lot and he's not nearly as interesting.

I've got all these other books I want to read but I feel like I shouldn't start anything until I finish this one. So instead I've just been reading nothing.

Alucard

Banned
Fleet of Foot said:
Wow, I'm reading the same book and thinking the same thing. After reading The Royal Assassin, I went right into Assassin's Quest against my better judgment.

I don't mind long books but these books are looooong. Deceptively long. This book is only 750 pages which isn't longer than most other books I read. I think the difference is that there's comparatively little dialogue in these books. So it's page after page of long paragraphs with no breaks. Every page is packed full.

They're good books but I'm ready for a break. Halfway through the third book in a trilogy is not where the reader should be tempted to give up, but I am. I'm on page 450 and I haven't touched it in several days now.

I do want to know what happens to
Regal. I hope he gets killed real good.

At the same time, I'm let down by the personality change in
The Fool
. He was one of my favorite characters and I feel like he's changed a lot and he's not nearly as interesting.

I've got all these other books I want to read but I feel like I shouldn't start anything until I finish this one. So instead I've just been reading nothing.

Yeah, I'm really curious to see what happens to
Regal
as well. He's just such a despicable and easy to hate character,
that I really want him to get killed in the worst way possible. He makes want to swear at my book, I hate the motherfucker so much. Also curious to see what happens with Verity, and what this Skill River deal is all about.

I still like the Fool.
After the death of Shrewd, he basically lost his reason for living. Now that he's met up with Fitz again, he seems to be regaining some of his old charm.

Top Bottom