• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2010)

nn1qn5.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Online Book Stores

http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Blogs

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books

http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads

What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

If you have some good links post them and i will put them in.

!!BOOK CLUB!!

??? <-- anyone know what the book is this month?

Reading Lucifer's Hammer

51A1b0iz%2BjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

------

Anyone know what the book club book is this month? Also, who decides what it is and where do I find this information?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
No book club this month :D im still getting through last months, this months been crazy hectic for me so havnt had chance to do anything. Recommendations if any one has any........... different genre maybe ;)

As for where the book club and stuff. Its in the OP if you join goodreads and the GAF group there some stuff there, no discussion though lol. Need to try harder. Anyone can decide and choose as long as there is a majority i guess.

Just finished Deathbird Stories by Harlan Ellison

he_deathbir.jpg

Really enjoyed it for the most part, although I felt it was a bit unnecesary to include stories featured in other volumes.

Now i'm reading The Long Ships by Frans Bengtsson.

thelongships2.png

Xater

Didn't have tha tmuch time for reading lately so I am still going trough The Fall of Hyperion. About 200 Pages left.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
No book club this month. I'm still getting through last months, this months been crazy hectic for me so havnt had chance to do anything. Recommendations if any one has any........... different genre maybe ;)

As for where the book club and stuff. Its in the OP if you join goodreads and the GAF group there some stuff there, no discussion though lol. Need to try harder. Anyone can decide and choose as long as there is a majority i guess.
Cool, thanks for the info. I just joined the group. :D

Bootaaay said:
Now i'm reading The Long Ships by Frans Bengtsson.

<3

I wish I could erase it from my memory so I could read it again.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Still reading this, still blowing my mind with every page:

0811208478.jpg

Dresden

Kraken+USA.jpg

Kraken is being dropped. I keep trying to read it now and then, but something is so wrong with his prose this time around. Mieville has never been the easiest--or the smoothest--writer around, but damn, everything is so goddamn obtuse and trying to get through some of the conversations is maddeningly dull. I love his books, but I'm dropping this one for now. It's a pity because as always you have some really cool shit he likes to drop on you, but for whatever reason it's just a pain to read.

ilikeme

n24777.jpg

Only 100 pages left. Great book.

Then I'll be reading Ursula K. Le Guin's The Dispossessed.

Looking forward to it as I loved loved loved The Left Hand of Darkness.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Richard Wright-Black Boy
Sean B Carrol-Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Will start "Paradise Lost" soon, as well.

Kuraudo

Banned
Dresden said:
Kraken is being dropped. I keep trying to read it now and then, but something is so wrong with his prose this time around. Mieville has never been the easiest--or the smoothest--writer around, but damn, everything is so goddamn obtuse and trying to get through some of the conversations is maddeningly dull. I love his books, but I'm dropping this one for now. It's a pity because as always you have some really cool shit he likes to drop on you, but for whatever reason it's just a pain to read.

I love Miéville, but he's a really uneven writer. His imagination is incredible, but his pacing and wordflow are off in pretty much all his work.

Cdammen

books20100801.jpg

I'm halfway through the Stephen King short story collection. They're good, but not that scary. Does anyone know if the Murakami book Kafka on the Shore is as otherworldly/wierd as The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle? I really liked the dreamy feel of that book.

(EDIT) Tried Goodreads, what a badly designed website. Really confusing to use.

Also want to add that I love pocketbooks and trade paperbacks (the regular-sized books with soft covers).

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
ilikeme said:
n24777.jpg

Only 100 pages left. Great book.

Then I'll be reading Ursula K. Le Guin's 'The Dispossessed'.

Looking forward to it as I loved loved loved 'The Left Hand of Darkness'.

The Dispossessed is much much better.

I'm reading Steve Martin's "Born Standing Up" right now. Great book, and a fairly quick read, but I can't help but notice that the book is good because of the interesting events that happened in his life, but not because of the writing. To be honest, the writing is not nearly as good or compelling as in some other autobiographies (ie. Craig Ferguson's) and comes off as a bit highfalutin at times.

Mifune

Mehmber
After the completely glorious Cloud Atlas, I have returned to an old friend.

386197.jpg

Only about 100 pages in, very little has actually happened, and it's still totally gripping.

Le Carre has a way of easing you into his story, painting the outer frame, doling out plot nuggets in the most leisurely way possible, and then sticking the knife between your shoulder blades when you get comfortable. He's meticulous, patient, and very very good.

If this were my first Le Carre I'd be wanting him to get on with it, but as a veteran I know this is how he works. He ratchets the tension little by little, so subtly that you don't even notice it, and builds to a climax of shocking power. Every damned time.

I haven't read anything of his post-Tailor of Panama but to me he is and forever will be the master.

S. L.

Cdammen said:
Does anyone know if the Murakami book Kafka on the Shore is as otherworldly/wierd as The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle? I really liked the dreamy feel of that book.
very much so and more fucked up.
Hard Boiled Wonderland is more ethereal and dreamlike (and also much better than Kafka on the Shore) It just flows much better.

X26

Banned
Started the lies of locke lamora, not too far in but enjoying it sofar

Cdammen said:
I'm halfway through the Stephen King short story collection. They're good, but not that scary. Does anyone know if the Murakami book Kafka on the Shore is as otherworldly/wierd as The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle? I really liked the dreamy feel of that book.

They're similar

mjc

Grave+Peril.jpg

About 150 pages in, just as fun as the first two books were. Now that I have a Nook I plan on blazing through the series.

thomaser

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Still. Will probably last me well into September. DAMN good book - just finished the epic Eschaton battle!

Dresden

mjc said:
Grave+Peril.jpg

About 150 pages in, just as fun as the first two books were. Now that I have a Nook I plan on blazing through the series.
Good job, bro.

Decided to start The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzwell. Obviously an old book, but I've never read his stuff before.

Salazar

2ngfns8.jpg

Don't eat or drink while you're reading this issue ! We have a feeling you're going to want to keep it forever as a COLLECTOR'S ITEM !

I think I like the hype as much as the actual story.

Kildace

Finished East of Eden - I love Steinbeck -, tore though the Forever War which was enjoyable and different from today's Sci-Fi, and now started the Lies of Locke Lamora. Quite into so far.

thomaser said:
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Still. Will probably last me well into September. DAMN good book - just finished the epic Eschaton battle!

That's one of the best parts of the book. Always has me in stitches.

Afrodium

Banned
1tE2e.jpg

I'm halfway through this and I am loving it. I was really intimidated by it before I stared, and didn't think I would make it to the end, but I'm finding it surprisingly readable and easy to follow. I will definitely be reading more Dostoevsky.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
With me about to be buying the new Kindle and starting to read books more often...I will be going through all of these threads. Shadow of the Wind looks interesting!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just finished Dan Sinmons' "Drood", which has inspired me to read some Dickens, and I'm now reading the latter author's unfinished last novel, "The Mystery of Edwin Drood". Picked it up from the public domain library on Kindle.

Finished
the-catcher-in-the-rye-cover.jpg

A bit late on it, but it's one of those books ou have to read. Enjoyable, but Holden Caulfield is kind of a prick. Makes me depressed as hell that I can relate to him so much, if you want to know the truth.

About to start based on all the love in this thread
productimage-picture-the-long-ships-89.jpg

2ywfssj.jpg

Finished the first 2 books in the space of a week and can't wait to get started on this one.

It's a shame knowing that this is the end of the 'trilogy' despite the fact that Larsson had further sequels planned before his death.

Helmholtz

Still reading a Clash of Kings, about half way now. Story has really picked up, can't wait to read more. Have to admit I'm interested in the Long Ships now, might have to pick it up sometime.

Domo-Kun

51sOOU5v6qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thought I'd read up on the series before it hits AMC this fall. Great stuff so far, and it sounds like it only gets better.

41MjaJGHwcL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The author's an interesting guy, and he has a lot of insight, but I'm only a third of the way through and it's dragging. Granted, it's a book about project management, so maybe I shouldn't be expecting a page turner.

Narag

Working on John Steakley's Armor as I feel compelled to finally get to my goodreads to-read list again.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
n2798.jpg

Got it recommended to me by a friend. It's pretty awesome so far, and I'm not all that into fantasy books.

deadbeef

0Nill.jpg

This is a pretty fun book.

"In The Next 100 Years, Friedman undertakes the impossible (or improbable) challenge of forecasting world events through the 21st century. Starting with the premises that "conventional political analysis suffers from a profound failure of imagination" and "common sense will be wrong," Friedman maps what he sees as the likeliest developments of the future, some intuitive, some surprising: more (but less catastrophic) wars; Russia's re-emergence as an aggressive hegemonic power; China's diminished influence in international affairs due to traditional social and economic imbalances; and the dawn of an American "Golden Age" in the second half of the century. Friedman is well aware that much of what he predicts will be wrong--unforeseeable events are, of course, unforeseen--but through his interpretation of geopolitics, one gets the sense that Friedman's guess is better than most." --- from Amazon.com review.

Top Bottom