• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2010)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
afternoon delight said:
Completely forgot about that. The Cuckoo is sublime.

Also, which one had the serial killer convention?

Can't remember which one that was, sadly. But the Corinthian is such a bad dude :lol

Narag

afternoon delight said:
Or simply naked men bathed in blood and dirt, adorning themselves with people's skins and scalps, strolling into town atop horses. I'll believe it when I see it. :lol

Completely forgot about that. The Cuckoo is sublime.

Also, which one had the serial killer convention?
The Doll's House. Sandman vol. 2.

Kuraudo

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
Yeah. I really like A Game of You too. It's so.. different. It's like a mindfuck horror fairytale on acid. And Martin Tenbones is boss.

Probably my favourite alongside Brief Lives.

Fantastic series. Rereading it myself at the moment. Just cleared up Dream Country.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Got as far as half-way through the first volume of Gibbon's 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire', which I have being trying to get around to for years.

I imagine it is pretty dry reading if done from scratch, but if you know only a teensy bit of background it is fascinating. Slow reading, because I keep having to stop to look things up.

tmarques

emma.jpg

Glad I got over my prejudice. Enjoying it tremendously.

peakish

Just finished Let the Right One In.

34fod3p.jpg

Now I really need to see the movie.

Not sure what I'll start with now ... but I really need to get hold of some more horror in the same style soon. Any suggestions?

Salazar

Maklershed said:
Salazar - Amazon has the NYRB Complete Collection. Only $2k or so.

I am in a financial position to afford it, but the indulgence would do something savage and irreparable to my soul. I will continue to pick them up one by one.

phisheep said:
Got as far as half-way through the first volume of Gibbon's 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire', which I have being trying to get around to for years.

Tom Holland's Rubicon is the book you need. In addition to Gibbon, I mean.

Combichristoffersen

peakish said:
Not sure what I'll start with now ... but I really need to get hold of some more horror in the same style soon. Any suggestions?

Not strictly the same, but you could try the British translation of 'Människohamn' by the same author, whenever it's out (late 2010 or early 2011 according to Wikipedia). Unless you're fluent in Swedish and can read it in its original language :p

peakish

Not strictly the same, but you could try the British translation of 'Människohamn' by the same author, whenever it's out (late 2010 or early 2011 according to Wikipedia). Unless you're fluent in Swedish and can read it in its original language :p
Yeah, I am swedish :p Was thinking about picking up some more of his books, might just start with that one!

Combichristoffersen

peakish said:
Yeah, I am swedish :p Was thinking about picking up some more of his books, might just start with that one!

Ah, good! Pick up Människohamn and Pappersväggar then. Handteringen av Odöda is.. not bad, but a bit eh. A bit boring, really. Lilla Stjärna is pretty decent too, although it's not really supernatural horror, it's.. well.. you should just read up on it, really :lol

SyNapSe

Iceman said:
Fever Dream by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (my favorite authors)

Deserve more posts :)
Just finishing up Riptide. Really strong authors compared to others in the genre.
51PL9REeolL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Dresden

SyNapSe said:
Deserve more posts :)
Just finishing up Riptide. Really strong authors compared to others in the genre.
51PL9REeolL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
I liked their books before they nudged themselves into the superhero genre with Pendergast.

SyNapSe

Dresden said:
I liked their books before they nudged themselves into the superhero genre with Pendergast.

Fair enough, I only read the first 3 or so books of that series. Then I quit and since then I've just randomly ran into some of their solo/other books like Mount Dragon, etc. Who else would you recommend in that same vein of writing?

Dresden

SyNapSe said:
Fair enough, I only read the first 3 or so books of that series. Then I quit and since then I've just randomly ran into some of their solo/other books like Mount Dragon, etc. Who else would you recommend in that same vein of writing?
Not sure about other authors, but I thought Ice Limit was the best book they ever did. Their one-shot novels are usually strong--but avoid the ones where Preston writes by himself. Blasphemy was just awful, awful stuff.

Relic was also quite good--it's a Pendergast novel without all the superhuman junk.

peakish

Ah, good! Pick up Människohamn and Pappersväggar then. Handteringen av Odöda is.. not bad, but a bit eh. A bit boring, really. Lilla Stjärna is pretty decent too, although it's not really supernatural horror, it's.. well.. you should just read up on it, really :lol
Will do, thanks for the impressions!

eznark

Banned
Finished A Clash of Kings. Found it was a mirror of the first. Where that one started slow and grew on me, this one fizzled towards the last third. The interesting stories aren't being told (is there a Robb chapter in the last 500 pages?) and he is belaboring the mundane. I have no real desire to continue on the Feast for Crows, but I bought it and have read 1600 pages so far, another 770 won't kill me. It's so absurdly bloated when I look back on reading the two books back to back like that. A really good editor would have made one of the best fantasy novels of all time out of those first two tomes. On the whole I enjoyed Clash of Kings more than Game of Thrones, but CoK ended with such a whimper that it left a sour impression.

On to A Feast for Crows...and at this point I kind of hope Martin is done...or better yet an editor saves his future works.

edit: fuck. apparently I need to read two more. Fine, Storm of Swords here I come. God damn it. Of course it is 1000+ pages. Obviously.

eznark

Banned
Cyan said:
FFS, if you don't like it, stop reading. Ever heard of sunk costs?
I didn't say I don't like it. I said I have no desire to keep reading it. I really do like the individual threads and I want to see humanity coalesce to ward off evil in the end, I just think it's bloated and a bit of a chore.

Huh, no Robb chapters in this entire book?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
eznark said:
I didn't say I don't like it. I said I have no desire to keep reading it. I really do like the individual threads and I want to see humanity coalesce to ward off evil in the end, I just think it's bloated and a bit of a chore.

Huh, no Robb chapters in this entire book?

Robb never had a POV as far as I remember.

eznark

Banned
Cyan said:
Well, those sound basically the same to me, but whatever. :lol
I love the Brewers more than just about anything AND I have zero desire to watch their games anymore this year. However, I still drive 14 total hours two or three times a month to watch them play and never miss a minute of any game via broadcast.

Robb never had a POV as far as I remember.
Weird, you're right. Strange that he is has become the only character I like anymore.

eznark said:
I love the Brewers more than just about anything AND I have zero desire to watch their games anymore this year. However, I still drive 14 total hours two or three times a month to watch them play and never miss a minute of any game via broadcast.

The fuck? You're a weird buckaroo.

Jenga

Banned
Salazar said:
:lol The army of Gaffers who want to be Vikings will grow.
I finished it a few days ago. Really entertaining read. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially if they liked the Odyssey

If you guys enjoy Hero of a Thousand Faces and have any interest in writing whatsoever, a student of his wrote a book in the same vein. Vivid and easy to digest. They're both great reads and assets. And if you're into GAF jerk mode, Christopher Nolan recommends it!

WritersJourney3rddrop.jpg

Xater

Ok I finished "The Fall of Hyperion" today. It was an enjoyable read but Dan Simmons really has a problem with unfolding most of the secrets on the last pages of his book. It's probably not as bad as in "Hyperion" but still present.

Now I am going to start reading this:

Which is just the German translation of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Did not see a point of getting it in English because that's a translation as well.

ngower

I've been reading it for about two months now (a page here and there when I can)...

breakfast_at_tiffanys.large.jpg

I do enjoy it quite a bit but I never want to sit down and open it up, it just tags alongside me to the DMV, doctor, barber, etc.

Hoping to open and finish this before I move in a little over a week.

crime-and-punishment.gif

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
just finished Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Really loved it, considering it's the first novel I've read in decades that wasn't written by J. K Rowling, J. R. R. Tolkien, or set in the Star Wars universe (not a fast reader, and thus get bored quickly). Trying to figure out if I want to go onto the next book in the millennium trilogy or if I want to head somewhere different. any recommendations for fiction in a similar direction/style or am I just best to continue onto Played With Fire?

tmarques

ngower said:
I've been reading it for about two months now (a page here and there when I can)...

breakfast_at_tiffanys.large.jpg

Two months? I read it in an afternoon, literally couldn't put it down. Very different from the movie.

Does anyone know of a place that lists best sellers of books by authors more on the level of Pynchon and Chabon and less of the books that are movie tie-ins, about teen vampires, or the latest release from some crazy neo-con?

Lorr

So I'm planning on reading 2001, 2010, and 2061 soon and I was curious if it was worth checking out 3001 too. I keep seeing mixed reviews for it.

Finished The Long Ships yesterday. Fucking awesome. Thanks so much for recommending it, book-GAF. I hadn't had so much fun reading a book in a while.

Dresden

eznark said:
Out of curiosity, what is considered to be the best of the four Martin novels?
Storm of Swords.

But honestly, if you didn't enjoy reading the first two, the third one won't change your mind.

ngower

tmarques said:
Two months? I read it in an afternoon, literally couldn't put it down. Very different from the movie.

Ha, ya it's a quick read. I'm always doing something so it's very hard to just sit and read without an objective like school or something. I do really enjoy it and in fact Truman Capote writes just as I'd like to, but the act of reading, irregardless of by whom or about what, is tricky for me. Far too often my mind wanders while I'm reading so I end up having to re-read. It's quite frustrating.

Top Bottom