• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2010)

Timber

Sblargh said:
If I Forget Thee, Jerusalem
one of my favourite books. really intense and violent and i think it ranks as one of Faulkner's best works and deserves to be read more widely. hope you enjoy it.

stupei

Ryu said:
What's worse is, it does feel rushed. And if it's because of the movie rights, that worries me greatly. The voice she has for Katniss in this book, the dry malaise, the lack of real fight and action, with the exception of very few moments, just makes her an incredibly weak character in the end when she should have grown leaps and bounds in the course of three or so years these books all take place over. It shows too when the author reads the character.

It's just disappointing.

[Fake edit] - all these spoiler tags makes this thread look like some secret CIA document. :p

Agreed on a lot of this. Honestly, it feels to me like it would have been better off with another book to follow this one.
Katniss finds out that Coin betrayed her and the assassination ends book three. It feels like it needs another book to follow, one that actually deals with the aftermath of the assassination of the new leader, the country's being rebuilt, and how the fractured relationships come together. To keep it tied in with the past themes, it would obviously deal with the distrust that would remain between survivors, the reformation of new government and how different people change once in power, and of course how the media portrays all these things. It could actually deal with the suggestion to hold a new Hunger Games for the Capitol children at greater length.
Katniss presumably would have to work to sway public opinion and to quell the anger and outrage of others while dealing with her own. Learn to trust while she is under suspicion. All themes from the other books, but this time Katniss could actually have more agency.

The thing is with the past two books she has always been a pawn who realizes her circumstances and fights against them. Here
it feels like she's being used over and over and yet she never gets to fight back. Shooting Coin is a nice moment but then she just gets locked up and that's that, other people take care of things for her.
Katniss often likes to think of herself as detached and separate from other people -- uninvolved and uninterested, the misanthrope she so wishes to be -- but the truth is she feels her own specific moral compass very strongly and acts upon it with conviction. She often tries to sit back, to be passive and not give a damn, but it never works. She always cares and always acts, but here she seemed so unsure. It just felt like in the very end this was missing. If there was another book to come in which she finally got to take control of her own destiny (not just an epilogue), that would help, I think.

Finished The Long Ships earlier this week, I really took my time with this one as I didn't want it to end - so many great characters, Red Orm, Toki, Rapp, Olof, Ylva etc, and although it's more a collection of stories from Orm's life than a single narrative (and as such doesn't have the most climactic of endings), I enjoyed it immensely.

Now i'm reading A Stitch in Time by Andrew J. Robinson - i'm not a fan of Star Trek books as they often read like over the top fanfics, but I am a huge fan of Garak, and after seeing a GAFfer mention this book, how Andrew J. Robinson (the actor who played Garak in Deep Space Nine) invented this elaborate backstory to help him portray the character, I knew I had to read it. Unfortunately it's been out of print for some time, so I had to part with £17 to get my hands on a copy, but so far it's been entirely worth it. Highly recommended for anyone looking for more adventures with every-bodies favourite Cardassian tailor.

Salazar said:
I think the badass, table-turning escape from beheading was my favourite bit.

Yeah, that bit was awesome - I also really like Brother Willibald hitting King Sven with a rock, the whole bit with how they used St. James bell to get home and how the sinful minister turned out to be
the one that kidnapped Blackhair
. It's all good though, thoroughly entertaining from start to finish.

Yet another book this month. I deserve a gold star or sumshit

The-Graveyard-Book.jpg

Reading it on the plane today

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Maklershed said:
I think American Gods has scared me away from trying any of his other books. :/

American Gods is a bit shit, and should be avoided unless you're already a Gaiman fan. Read Stardust, Coraline and Good Omens. And Sandman, obviously.

I just finished Dorothy Allison's "Two or Three Things I Know For Sure." The novel was simply marvelous, extremely heart-touching. I adored how many stories she had within the books. This has been the first novel I have read that was written by her, but I plan to read through the rest of her novels once I have time.

Though, I must finish "Sword of Storms" before I move onto any new (non-school related) novels. I love the world and characters that GRRM has crafted. I'm taking my sweet time on the novel. I am hoping GRRM will be finish with "A Dance With Dragons" by the time I finish Swords.

satriales

Combichristoffersen said:
Read The Burning Court too. Sadly it's the only Dickson Carr novel I've read, but by God is it good!
I'll be sure to check that one out, I also want to read The Judas Window as I hear that is another excellent mystery.

The Case of the Constant Suicides (which I've just started reading) already has me completely baffled. The main mystery is that a guy falls to his death from a window in a tower 60ft up. The door is locked from the inside and it is impossible to climb up the tower to the window from the outside, even with ropes. Suicide has been ruled out as the guy had just recently setup a life insurance policy which would not pay in the case of suicide. So it is murder but how did the murderer do it?

I hear the book introduces at least two more similar locked-room mysteries that are even more baffling, but I look forward to the ingenious solution.

Salazar

satriales said:
I hear the book introduces at least two more similar locked-room mysteries that are even more baffling, but I look forward to the ingenious solution.

Teleport FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Finished The Unit this afternoon.

It was just okay. Nothing really blew me away about it, but it did bring up some good points about humane organ harvesting and experimenting on voluntary human subjects. I just didn't care about the characters very much.

ATF487

Just bought High Fidelity, Fever Pitch and Soccernomics

I've always liked Hornby because he's obsessed with sports and music like I am

Ugh, gonna attempt to read Pride and Prejudice again:

Everyone in the office has read it and I actually skipped reading it for school. Considering I work for a site that promotes reading, I figure I should read at least ONE Jane Austen novel, but I can't take this book seriously at all. I keep imagining all the characters in that SNL skit with Colonel Lingus for some reason.

Lear

My quest to read the Booker longlist continues.
Currently reading this:
51QPnv3YxdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I'm reserving judgment until I finish it, but so far I really, really dislike it.

Just finished Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. Oh my word it was good. I didn't really like who the murderer turned out to be or the bit
about the tailor in London
, but everything else about the book was absolutely fantastic. I'm definitely going to read the rest of these. So, so good.

crowphoenix said:
Just finished Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. Oh my word it was good. I didn't really like who the murderer turned out to be or the bit
, but everything else about the book was absolutely fantastic. I'm definitely going to read the rest of these. So, so good.

You're just discovering Poirot? I so envy you.

Dresden

Cyan said:
Damn. If you can't get through Pride and Prejudice, I... I don't know what to tell you.

I guess you could try watching the Beeb adaptation from the 90s.
He could always read the revision, with more zombies.

*runs away*

survivor

Banned
crowphoenix said:
I have been using my entire summer reading Poirot books and they are awesome. Orient Express is one of favourite ones for an unconventional murderer and the crime scene.

Cyan said:
Damn. If you can't get through Pride and Prejudice, I... I don't know what to tell you.

I guess you could try watching the Beeb adaptation from the 90s.

It's not that the writing is difficult to get through. It's just that IT'S SO BORING. It's a bunch of rich people talking about rich people problems. No redeeming characters at all.

Tim the Wiz said:
You're just discovering Poirot? I so envy you.
I am a lucky, lucky man. :D

survivor said:
I have been using my entire summer reading Poirot books and they are awesome. Orient Express is one of favourite ones for an unconventional murderer and the crime scene.

Yes. And I really loved
how Poirot handled the situation once he figured it out. I was flabbergasted by that, but instantly loved him more for it.

Cyan said:
:/

Bunch of illiterate neander-philistines in this thread!
The only Jane Austin I've read is Emma, which I remember enjoying. I should probably read the rest of hers soon. There's actually a lot of great works that I somehow missed despite majoring in Lit.

Jarlaxle

I love Pride and Prejudice. I didn't think it was boring at all. Mr. Bennett was a pretty funny character and Mr. Darcy is awesome. I did want to strangle some of Lizzy's sisters though. I can't remember all of their names. It's been awhile.

Dresden

I liked it too. It was just an enjoyable novel, charming, witty, etc. Reading it also made me appreciate Bujold's A Civil Campaign more, too, which is a plus.

Recently finished Janissary Tree--it really isn't a mystery so much as it is a novel about the city. Enjoyable stuff.

index.aspx

And now, I shall complete my descent into weeaboo-fandom by starting this:

800px-FZ_v04_cover.jpg

My first Japanese light novel. Someone hold me.

I am currently reading this ( for the first time in my life ):

881-1.jpg

I am only 40 pages in, but it is strangely.. Compelling. Very curious writing-style. Liking it so far. :)

I also finished reading Stephen King's Under The Dome. It was definetely good, but the ending felt a bit forced and quick. The idea and the setting was so interesting, though, that I could've read another 800 pages about people just trying to go on with their lives under the dome.

Salazar

Matthew Polly's American Shaolin.

Weedy American student goes to China to train with the monks. Non-fiction. Very interesting.

I relegated to Pride and Prejudice to listening to while on my commute. I think that's the only way I can force myself to care about the characters.

Started Mistborn last night:

Been seeing good reviews of it in the SF/F group on Goodreads, and the premise sounded good. The beginning is jolting though, because the author just drops you into the world with no explanation of what's going on. So far, the magic system reminds me of an RPG.

edit: Just noticed Robin Hobb, one of my favorite fantasy authors recommended it on the cover. Nice!

Salazar

nakedsushi said:
edit: Just noticed Robin Hobb, one of my favorite fantasy authors recommended it on the cover. Nice!

Looks like Jon Foster cover work, too.

Irritatingly talented man :lol

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Lé Blade Runner said:
I am currently reading this ( for the first time in my life ):

881-1.jpg

I am only 40 pages in, but it is strangely.. Compelling. Very curious writing-style. Liking it so far. :)

The Finder is a fantastic novella,
Anieb broke my heart
. Bones of the Earth and On the High Marsh are my other favorites.

ymmv

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Started Mistborn last night:

Been seeing good reviews of it in the SF/F group on Goodreads, and the premise sounded good. The beginning is jolting though, because the author just drops you into the world with no explanation of what's going on. So far, the magic system reminds me of an RPG.

The Mistborn series is really excellent. Mistborn can be read as a standalone, but do read the other two books. Sanderson is a hell of a clever writer. The magic system in those books is so ingenious and the plot twists are even better. I loved it when he referred in the final of the third book to little details in the first and you realize: FUUUUU!

Finished up Mockingjay the other day and overall I liked it. Not as good as the first two but
the only thing that really bothered me was Finnick's death and the Annie situation. I could already see Katniss falling away from her family just by being away so long so I didn't mind how Prim's death was handled. Yeah, it probably should have been more on it but I think Finnick needed more time. Too many people died to quickly. I would have liked a Peeta, Katniss, Finnick confrontation with Snow. Peeta could have gone ballistic for being hijacked which would have been interesting as he was never a brutal guy in the games.

Matchew

I'm almost done with the Enders Game and it is just ridiculous good...I have to ask are the sequels just has good?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
SFGamer said:
I'm almost done with the Enders Game and it is just ridiculous good...I have to ask are the sequels just has good?

The sequels are good but... different. They're really not anything like Enders game. Theyre very interesting and enjoyable reads, but aren't quite the same kind of story as Ender's game. The Shadow series following Bean is a bit closer however.

Top Bottom