• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2010)

Ugh, even though I was all ready to start a Le Guin novel thanks to the feedback here, I got sucked into this series from a Felicia Day blog:

Just finished this at 1am this morning:

And diving into the next one:

The covers are awful, I know, but the book's a quick, light-hearted romp into fantasy. Very different world than what I've read of fantasy books so far.

Kuraudo

Banned
200px-TheRiseOfEndymion%281stEd%29.jpg

Figured I'd finish the series off. I loved the first two books (Hyperion is probably in my top three SF novels) and was crushingly disappointed by the third. So far this feels like more Enymion, only longer. God help me.

tmarques

Finished this yesterday. Feel free to laugh.

MommieDearestBook.jpg

It's garbage, as I had expected, but not nearly as entertaining as I had hoped. Movie has all the good parts condensed, without all the whining from the author trying to convince the reader she's the nicest person who's ever lived.

Just started this -

189749683-0-m.jpg

Looks cheesy, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far (only read a couple of stories). I bought it for The Birds - which I had assumed was a case of bad-book-turned-into-great-movie like Psycho or Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? -, but I'm finding du Maurier a lot more interesting than Agatha Christie.

Dresden

Kuraudo said:
200px-TheRiseOfEndymion%281stEd%29.jpg

Figured I'd finish the series off. I loved the first two books (Hyperion is probably in my top three SF novels) and was crushingly disappointed by the third. So far this feels like more Enymion, only longer. God help me.
As someone who loved the latter two novels--Endymion & Rise--all I can say is that it's more of the same. What did you hate about Endymion?

Mifune

Mehmber
Kuraudo said:

Yeah, I didn't hate the first Endymion book, but I'm in no hurry to finish the series either.

Ferrio

Banned
Picked up a book for the first time in ages, and started reading the the first book of the Dresden files. Finished it in two days, now I'm 1/4th through the second one. Liking it so far, the style of writing sometimes bothers me (too many similes), hoping his overall style improves.

I really like how he mixes fantasy, suspense and comedy together. The crab demon with the oxford accent wearing a pair of spectacles gave me a good laugh.

resized_SF.jpg

Kuraudo

Banned
Dresden said:
As someone who loved the latter two novels--Endymion & Rise--all I can say is that it's more of the same. What did you hate about Endymion?

Well what I loved about Hyperion was how it threw a constant stream of eclectic ideas at the reader, building a really intricate and varying universe. Often ideas that could form short stories or novels in their own right were used simply as background decoration. It wasn't until Fall of Hyperion when the reader really understood the universe and then Simmons slowly tore it apart.

Endymion didn't have that. It was a much slower story without the abundance of ideas and, to me anyway, the universe was totally uninteresting compared to in the first two books. It was stripped of its wonder and governed by a cliched evil Catholic church. It didn't help that none of the characters really interested me the way the pilgrims or the Keats cybrid did.

It wasn't a bad book. I just found it a bit dull and very mediocre, making it a definite step down from the first duology.

npm0925

I read the latest compilation of The Walking Dead, which turned out to be comparatively uneventful -- the next book promises to feature more pear shaped outcomes that the series is famous for.

I also just completed Catching Fire, the second book of The Hunger Games trilogy. I was disappointed that there was 250+ pages of prelude to maybe 100 pages of actual combat.

And now I am attempting to complete The Name of the Wind before William Gibson's new novel is released.

charsace

Kuraudo said:
Well what I loved about Hyperion was how it threw a constant stream of eclectic ideas at the reader, building a really intricate and varying universe. Often ideas that could form short stories or novels in their own right were used simply as background decoration. It wasn't until Fall of Hyperion when the reader really understood the universe and then Simmons slowly tore it apart.

Endymion didn't have that. It was a much slower story without the abundance of ideas and, to me anyway, the universe was totally uninteresting compared to in the first two books. It was stripped of its wonder and governed by a cliched evil Catholic church. It didn't help that none of the characters really interested me the way the pilgrims or the Keats cybrid did.

It wasn't a bad book. I just found it a bit dull and very mediocre, making it a definite step down from the first duology.
I prefer Children of the Night to the other books in the Hyperion series.Shrike is still the scariest character I have seen in all of fiction though.

Salazar

Tim the Wiz said:
It's odd seeing this become so visible recently with Chabon co-signing it and everything. I'm happy, though, Red Orm deserves the love.

It's beautiful. Initiating a Classics imprint is the best thing the New York Review of Books has done. I just wish Bengtsson had written more novels :lol

Alucard

Banned
4dff4310fca0041673f76010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pretty good so far. It feels like a more mature version of Ender's Game up to this point, which is probably why Orson Scott Card praised it on the cover. I'm enjoying it and am almost mid-way through.

I guess I need to check out this Long Ships book that everyone seems to be raving about.

It absolutely will not. It's like The Odyssey in Viking times. How could that be bad? :D

Anywho, finished Foundation and on to Disclosure

714DB0SJVML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.gif

Dresden

sarcastor said:
it's taken 3 weeks just to get halfway through this monster

under-the-dome-review.jpg

how the fuck do you guys find the time to read so much?
I've been working four hours a night in a kiosk, taking money. Sitting behind a bulletproof glass during the slowest time of the day does wonders for your reading time.

Combichristoffersen said:
The only reason I ever read Rime of the Ancient Mariner in its entirety was due to Maiden :lol

Same here. UP THE IRONS LITERACY! :p

I hope to read all of the works that inspired their music. Is there a wiki of all the songs Maiden has made in tribute to literature?

Stairs

Banned
the-fortress-of-solitude.jpg

This is my first Lethem novel. His prose is far better than I was expecting, but it's more of a love letter to Brooklyn and the 70s than the coming of age story than was led to believe.

Stairs said:
This is my first Lethem novel. His prose is far better than I was expecting, but it's more of a love letter to Brooklyn and the 70s than the coming of age story than was led to believe.

Ohhhh such a great book. After you finish this, check out Motherless Brooklyn.

515kVw2HKRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

About 200 pages in. PLEASE tell me this gets better. I mean, it has to get better, right? For something that has blurbs all over it like 'instant classic', and 'the definitive blah blah', this is really some cool facts about Mars and people going to / on Mars, but the characters and their high-schoolish crushes and fighting is just garbage. I know, I know...crappy characters and relationships is so alien to sci-fi, right? :lol

NEXT!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The Take Out Bandit said:
Same here. UP THE IRONS LITERACY! :p

I hope to read all of the works that inspired their music. Is there a wiki of all the songs Maiden has made in tribute to literature?

Not really what you asked for, but there was the awesome Iron Maiden Commentary, by Baeleron. Sadly it seems to have gone offline years ago :( But here's the ones that I know of:

Phantom of the Opera - Based on the novel by Gaston Leroux
Murders in the Rue Morgue - Partially based on the short story by E.A. Poe
To Tame a Land - Based on the Dune novels by Frank Herbert
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Based on the poem by S. T. Coleridge
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - Based on the short story by Alan Sillitoe
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (entire album) - Not based on a specific book, but influenced by the works of Aleister Crowley
Run Silent Run Deep - I seem to remember this being based on a novel? *
Lord of the Flies - Based on the book by William Golding
The Edge of Darkness - Based on the novel Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Sign of the Cross - Based on the novel Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Brave New World - Based on the novel by Aldous Huxley
When the Wild Wind Blows - Based on the graphic novel by Raymond Briggs

* Actually, I think it's based on a 1958 movie named Run Silent, Run Deep, which was based on a 1955 novel by Edward L. Beach, Jr.

Edit: If you want to read more about the albums, songs, singles etc., go here: http://www.ironmaiden-bg.com/albums2_eng.htm

Xater

Ok just finished up the Millenium trilogy with The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. It was good finish to the whole thing and wrapped everything up nicely. I still think it probably is the weakest of the three books. It's a bit slow in the middle and there definitely is not enough of Sally in it. ;)

Now I will read Fahrenheit 451 or Taiko. I am not sure yet.

Salazar

A whole stack of trade paperbacks of Invincible. It's wonderful. I love the preparatory sketches included in the back.
Terry Pratchett's Small Gods.
Ramachandra Guha's A Corner of a Foreign Field: A Social History of Indian Cricket.

Combichristoffersen said:
Not really what you asked for, but there was the awesome Iron Maiden Commentary, by Baeleron. Sadly it seems to have gone offline years ago :( But here's the ones that I know of:

Phantom of the Opera - Based on the novel by Gaston Leroux
Murders in the Rue Morgue - Partially based on the short story by E.A. Poe
To Tame a Land - Based on the Dune novels by Frank Herbert
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Based on the poem by S. T. Coleridge
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - Based on the short story by Alan Sillitoe
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (entire album) - Not based on a specific book, but influenced by the works of Aleister Crowley
Run Silent Run Deep - I seem to remember this being based on a novel? *
Lord of the Flies - Based on the book by William Golding
The Edge of Darkness - Based on the novel Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Sign of the Cross - Based on the novel Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Brave New World - Based on the novel by Aldous Huxley
When the Wild Wind Blows - Based on the graphic novel by Raymond Briggs

* Actually, I think it's based on a 1958 movie named Run Silent, Run Deep, which was based on a 1955 novel by Edward L. Beach, Jr.

Edit: If you want to read more about the albums, songs, singles etc., go here: http://www.ironmaiden-bg.com/albums2_eng.htm

Oh, and Genius Loci by Clark Ashton Smith; I read that this year too. Inspired the song Still Life.

Sign of the Cross is probably the only Bayley era Maiden tune I can abide. :X

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The Take Out Bandit said:
Oh, and Genius Loci by Clark Ashton Smith; I read that this year too. Inspired the song Still Life.

Sign of the Cross is probably the only Bayley era Maiden tune I can abide. :X

Didn't know about Still Life being inspired by any literary works. Cheers!

As for the Blaze era, I actually quite like those two albums, especially Virtual XI, even though everyone else seems to hate it. Even got the special edition with the lenticular cover, and a standard edition signed by Blaze (a guy I used to talk to on the old Maiden BB got it signed for me at one of Blaze's solo shows) :lol

thomaser

Back from the Murakami Festival in Oslo!

Had a great time. Came there on Friday, and saw the "legendary" Murakami-speech by Frode Grytten that opened the festival. Very funny and moving. After that, saw these things:

- Speech by the Norwegian Murakami-translator about "everything you didn't know about Haruki Murakami". Much of it was about the huge Japanese industry of companion-books, commentaries, analyzes and so on that has sprung up around Murakami's books.

- "What's the deal with Murakami?" Three authors (Johan Harstad, Victoria Durnak and Jens Johansson) talking about their own favourite Murakami-books and -moments. Interesting, but nothing new.

- Peter Cat-night with Håvard Wiik Trio. Basically a recreation of Murakami's old jazz club, with a jazz trio playing his favourite tunes, readings from his books, poetry about him and so on. Very cosy and relaxing.

- Midnight showing of the movie "Tony Takitani" based on one of Murakami's novellas. A beautiful film!

- "We talk about running". First an introduction about the history of running by historian, writer and runner Thor Gothaas. This was absolutely hilarious! Then, a debate with authors/journalists Vigdis Hjorth, Henrik Langeland, Andreas Hompland and Kjetil Rolness, and the long-distance runner Susanne Wigene. All of them are avid runners, and they mostly agreed that Murakami's own running-book isn't really that good.

- "Waiting for 1Q84". The Norwegian, Swedish and Danish Murakami-translators talked about his upcoming book 1Q84, and how they work on its translations. Few or no spoilers, thankfully.

There were tons of other events I didn't have the time to see, but I was there for the main event Monday evening, when Murakami showed up himself. He had actually been in Oslo for four or five weeks and travelled around with his wife. Walked in the mountains, tasted the local beers and so on. Had a short trip to Stockholm. And he'd stood up every morning at 04.00 to run around the castle park (he was stopped for autographs several times even at that hour). Now, this was a pretty rare event, since he almost never does public showings or interviews like this. Journalists from the two largest newspapers in Japan (and the world) were there, along with Japanese tv, and none of them had ever interviewed him or even seen him live! So expectations were high. So high that the 220 tickets for the room he was to appear in were sold out in a couple of minutes after the ticket sales started online on August 2nd. Actually, they were sold out within the first second, but the system couldn't handle the pressure and ended up giving valid tickets to around 400 people before stopping after a few minutes. And another 400 people for the simulcast in another room (this room also had only 200 tickets for sale originally). So instead of having to void half of the sold tickets, the arrangers decided to squeeze all 800 or so people into the two small rooms. I was one of the lucky ones, and got into the main room where Murakami appeared. It was PACKED, and we all had to stand.

He eventually appeared to a rockstar-worthy applause. Then he made a short speech, a little bewildered by the insanity of the situation, which he said reminded him of the Tokyo subway at rush hour. After that, he read the novella "The Rise and Fall of Sharp Cakes". He read a paragraph or two in Japanese, then the Norwegian actress Gisken Armand read the same passage in Norwegian, and so on. He read quite ordinarily, but she put her soul into it - so much that he had to stop a few times because he was doubled up with laughter by her performance :) He laughed a lot, and seemed at ease with the crowd. Generally seemed like a nice, humble, funny guy. After a well-needed pause (for us in the audience), he was back for an interview conducted by Frode Grytten. None of them were very good at speakin English, so Murakami often misunderstood Grytten's questions, and sometimes didn't know what to say at all. But it went fairly well.

He talked about the first time he was in Norway back in 1991, when he had tried to find out what "Norwegian Wood" actually means. Was it a forest, or a kind of furniture, or a type of tree? He had no idea when he originally wrote the book. He also talked about a signing event he held in Barcelona a while back. The guards told him that he should kiss people when signing their books, so as the dutiful guy he is, he started kissing all the 1500 people in line. After a while he was told to stop it because it took too much time, but the line was so full of pretty Spanish girls that he continued anyway and kissed all of them. And he was asked quite a lot about his way of writing, how he comes up with his characters and so on, and he basically said that he has no plans whatsoever, and just writes whatever falls into his mind at that moment. He said he was shocked when he first wrote about the Sheep Man in The Wild Sheep Chase. Where did THAT guy come from? He had no idea. Oh, and he MIGHT write a fourth part of 1Q84.

At the end, he got some questions from people in the audience. Mostly silly ones, like what's his favourite pasta sauce (Genovese, or pesto) and what does he use for his hair ("Helsinki Solution").

Then it was over, and Murakami went back to his hotel to sleep. He sort of half promised to come back sometime, but then he would use the opera house so we could sit! It was great to see him. Looked very well, and had lots of humour. He's often said to be some kind of shy hermit, but he actually seemed very comfortable and confident, maybe even happy, which was nice. Only disappointment for me was that we didn't get to shake hands or get something signed. No pictures or video allowed either, and it was strongly enforced. Too bad. At least I know where his favourite pub in Oslo is if he ever comes back again.

Just finished this. I thought it was OK. It was a little slow, but had a great ending. I will definitely be reading future books from this series when they come out:

51XDEf1YYaL._SS500_.jpg

A friend is really pressuring me to read this, the plot sounds awesome, the reviews are really positive, and you can't go wrong with time traveling so I am now starting:

518wNBkgEGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Kodiak said:
do you guys ever get the feeling like

"there are so many awesome books out there and I feel this overwhelming sense of discovery and excitement"

I get this feeling like every time I check one of these threads. Books are so fucking awesome.
Honestly it is a dream of mine to just go on a vacation for a week and do nothing but read books. It would be so nice.

manofmandango said:
stormofswords.jpg

Half way through. Looking forward to A Feast For Crows. Yet at the same time that just means a torturous wait for A Dance With Dragons. Not to mention the last two books. Good thing I've got the Wheel of Time on the backburner.

On this as well, still, but I think I will take a break from the series after SoS.

Salazar

A big stack of Invincible. So good.
A strange - putting it mildly - Green Lantern book called Will World by Seth Fisher and J.M. DeMatteis.
Ian Buruma's Inventing Japan. Extraordinarily good book.
Robert V.S. Redick's The Rats and the Ruling Sea.

sarcastor said:
it's taken 3 weeks just to get halfway through this monster

how the fuck do you guys find the time to read so much?

I have no idea lol this month i'm going to have read three novels. I think it's because the stuff i'm reading is easy to breeze through

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
still

n246156.jpg

it's very good. Abercrombie is better than the dude that writes the ASOIAF series, cause he actually writes books!

ymmv

Banned
sparky2112 said:
515kVw2HKRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

About 200 pages in. PLEASE tell me this gets better. I mean, it has to get better, right? For something that has blurbs all over it like 'instant classic', and 'the definitive blah blah', this is really some cool facts about Mars and people going to / on Mars, but the characters and their high-schoolish crushes and fighting is just garbage. I know, I know...crappy characters and relationships is so alien to sci-fi, right? :lol

NEXT!

I couldn't make it past 200 pages because I was bored out of my mind. Too much science, not enough story and characters I'd care about. Big disappointment because I really liked Robinson's Three Californias trilogy.

Burger

sparky2112 said:

NEXT!
I enjoyed it. It's sort of half fiction, half non fiction. You really do learn a lot about Mars and science in general by reading it. The book/series is quite political however, and if you were expecting a light action series then you were very mistaken. I didn't think the characters acted like children, in fact I thought they acted exactly like most adults I know. I'd give it more than 200 pages, but if you hate it now, you'll probably hate the rest.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
51qxhokQlWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just finished. Had it on my bookshelf for over a year now, unopened. Glad I finally dusted it off! Enjoyed it quite a bit and the first person narrative didn't bug me like I worried it might.

Up next is either On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers or The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Xater

Started out with Fahrenheit 451 but stopped around 60 pages in. The writing just bugs me and I can't enjoy the story. So I moved on to Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa and so far I am loving it.

ultron87

n264374.jpg

Anathem by Neal Stephenson.

About 2/3 through. This has to be one of the more impressive feats of world building I've read in quite awhile.

Top Bottom