• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2010)

Jerk

Banned
I just finished reading the first three books of Anne Bishop's Black Jewels series, and...

I feel sullied.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
survivor said:
Three Act Tragedy
6w23C.jpg

Not my favourite Hercule Poirot book since 75% of the book isn't even about him. The mystery was actually very good, I just didn't like the way it was handled.

Ah, but this is a book that you read for that wonderful and character-defining final line!

Xater

BigNastyCurve said:
Reading through Girl with a dragon tattoo - maybe halfway done?

Trying - really trying - to like a Game of Thrones but the shit's so dry at first. I think the first prelude or whatever was the best with the creepy guys in the snow. The rest has been boring as hell, but I'm trying to stick with it because everyone raves about the series.

Song of Fire of Ice is not for everyone. I vertainly didn't enjoy it at all and gav up about 150 pages in. I had the exact same impression you have.

eznark

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:

Trying - really trying - to like a Game of Thrones but the shit's so dry at first. I think the first prelude or whatever was the best with the creepy guys in the snow. The rest has been boring as hell, but I'm trying to stick with it because everyone raves about the series.
Those creepy snow dudes appear again in roughly 2000 pages.

Update on my progress, the last third of Storm of Swords is excellent. This series is so infuriatingly uneven, yet I cannot stop reading it!

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
So, after reading nothing but non-fisction for a good long while I decided to indulge my sweet-tooth and read some genre for a while.

Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book

graveyard_book_9894_401223a.jpg

Amazing, but that's Gaiman for you.

P. G. Wodehouse - Carry On, Jeeves

c7642.jpg

What can I say? Perfection. Every English writer of the last 80 years owes a debt to this god.

Shanadeus

Banned
Girlfriend gave me the first Discworld novel, The colour of magic, and it's the best book gift I've ever got.

Shit's awesome.

eznark

Banned
I love listening to the Discworld books. Nigel Planer and Stephen Briggs read most of the ones I have listened to and they are really, really excellent.

Dresden

Dresden said:
Reading this right now:

36REV17cent1.jpg

About the battle between the Hapsburgs and the Ottomans at Vienna. Bloody stuff, liking it so far.
Finished this tonight. The middle of the book was gripping stuff--the bloodiest conflict in Europe until the battle at Stalingrad in the 20th century. The last third of the book is rather uneven, though, when the battle at Vienna is resolved and goes into the reconquest in Hungary and the motivations of each participant in the conflict.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I bet it would be pretty funny if someone tallied up the amount of times the phrases "coffee and sandwiches" and "turned on his/her heel" appeared in the Millennium trilogy. Great stuff, but I kept noticing how frequently those two things came up.

Anyway, currently reading:

6a00c2251d2769549d0109d0ea945f000f-500pi

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
BigNastyCurve said:

I too had the same opinion. I thought the creepy stuff over the wall, and even maybe the 1st chapter with the wolves stuff more interesting than where it went for a lot of the book.

I like the series now, but I can totally see how people would think it's extremely dry.

Haters gonna hate on me, but I find that I enjoy other stuff done by Martin a lot more than this.

creslin_black

Neo Member
Cyan said:
Just finished:

41ccOCAOxuL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Beautifully written, interesting characters, weird but clever story. Three different POV characters whose stories are semi-related to each other, but are braided around in just the right way to come together perfectly at the end! ...was what I was hoping. But really, they just sort of ended, none of the three branches really feeling like they'd impacted the others, and none of them ending in a way that tied up their POV character's threads. Which was maybe the point? Dunno.

I loved that novel; somehow it just doesn't really need to go anywhere.

Right now I'm reading Beowulf.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Tim the Wiz said:
Reading copious amounts of legislation and case law and commentary has ruined my resolve to read, but I actually finished something yesterday:

The+Desert+Spear.jpg

A solid follow-up to a strong debut. Now that the dust has settled, though, it feels like inspired mediocrity rather than anything more. But it does entail a lovely opening reminiscent of the Malazan volume, House of Chains.

For any Peter V. Brett fans

Earlier this year we published The Great Bazaar and Other Stories, a short collection by Peter V. Brett, highlighted by the title novelette. The collection sold out immediately, and now brings over $100 on the collector's market for the trade hardcover, when you can find one. A copy of the limited edition will set you back more than twice that.

Peter has just released his mammoth new novel, The Desert Spear, and seen his popularity and readership climb a few notches. We have a brand new novella by him, Brayan's Gold, set in the world of his novels. It will feature a full-color cover (with a different design for the signed limited edition) as well as nine black and white interior illustrations by Lauren K. Cannon. Look for it in January 2011.

Here's the full description:

Humanity has been brought to the brink of extinction. Each night, the world is overrun by demons-bloodthirsty creatures of nightmare that have been hunting the surface for over 300 years. A scant few hamlets and half-starved city-states are all that remain of a once proud civilization, and it is only by hiding behind wards, ancient symbols with the power to repel the demons, that they survive. A handful of Messengers brave the night to keep the lines of communication open between the increasingly isolated populace.

Arlen Bales is seventeen, an apprentice Messenger in brand new armor, about to go out for the first time alongside a trained Messenger on a simple overnight trip. Instead Arlen finds himself alone on a frozen mountainside, carrying a dangerous cargo to Count Brayan's gold mine, one of the furthest points in the duchy. And One Arm, the giant rock demon, hunts him still.

But Brayan's Gold may offer a way for Arlen to be free of One Arm forever, if he is willing to wager his life on the chance.

Limited: 500 signed numbered hardcovers, bound in leather, with a different dust jacket design than the trade edition: $45

Trade: Fully cloth bound hardcover edition: $20

http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Me...de=brett02&Category_Code=CAT&Product_Count=63

I already order 2 of the signed ones :)

The Great Bazaar was really really good imo and well worth it, they are also a pretty solid investment if you can get the signed collectors one. Checked ebay and some people are selling them for 200-300 bucks new, so if you wanna grab one do it now before the scammers get em all.

Finished South of the Border, West of the Sun by Murakami for the third time and started The Forever War by Joe Haldeman after seeing it so much on here. Love it so far.

Next up, The Master and the Margarita.

Max

I am not Max
Finished A Scanner Darkly. Really enjoyed it, the end part of the book was very unexpected. I'm probably going to start Ship of Fools tonight, after watching the ACD movie

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
nakedsushi said:
Just got done reading for last month:

Help me pick what to read next:

How did you like Lathe?

Haven't read the Atwood book, but I would recommend Left Hand of Darkness first. It's a bit slow in the middle, but the last third is incredible.

Dispossessed after. Takes place in the same universe but vastly different. Bar none my favorite sci-fiction novel, and probably one of my favorite books overall.

BorkBork said:
How did you like Lathe?

Haven't read the Atwood book, but I would recommend Left Hand of Darkness first. It's a bit slow in the middle, but the last third is incredible.

Dispossessed after. Takes place in the same universe but vastly different. Bar none my favorite sci-fiction novel, and probably one of my favorite books overall.

I really liked Lathe. It's the first Le Guin novel I finished. I started her fantasy books (the first Eartsea one, I think) but couldn't really get into it, which is weird because I read a lot more fantasy than sci-fi usually. Loved her prose in Lathe and the concept was great. Reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode. The only complaint I had was that the characters were kind of flat, but I can see that they're not the main point of the story.

Mifune

Mehmber
BenjaminBirdie said:
Still no one else reading the new Rick Moody with me??

The Franzen is out in like TWO WEEKS!!! TIME IS RUNNIN' OUT!!

The Moody book sounds great but I'm on a strict no hardcovers diet.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Maklershed said:
Salazar - Amazon has the NYRB Complete Collection. Only $2k or so.

Urrrrr WANT. Wish there was a Kindle version. Just don't have the space for the hard copies. ;_;

Alucard

Banned
johnsmith said:
the-wind-up-bird-chronicle1.jpg

I'm about a hundred pages in and I have no idea what the hell this book is about.

Welcome to post-modern literature, where narrative structure takes a backseat to punching out expectations.

I was a fan of the epic feel of the book, and many of its descriptions as well as Murakami's ultra-clean style, but it didn't really tie everything up for me by the end. Regardless, it's worth the trip.

Narag

Knocked out The Shining and The Green Mile this week. Just felt like some Stephen King, I suppose. I was pleasantly surprised at how familiar yet different the book felt compared to Kubrick's take on it.

Mifune

Mehmber
BenjaminBirdie said:
You were my only hope, Mifune.

*dies*

Well I cheated and picked up Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart in hardcover, but it's for a book club so I guess that's acceptable.

Anyway, I haven't read Moody before so I should probably work my way up to the new one. Yeah...that's it.

Fusebox

Banned
Currently loving this...

empire.jpg

Seems that lately all the books I read are a result of seeing the author being interviewed on either Stewart or Colbert.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
johnsmith said:
the-wind-up-bird-chronicle1.jpg

I'm about a hundred pages in and I have no idea what the hell this book is about.

We were talking about books on vent, and this got brought up. Think this might be the next book I check out to read!

n351351.jpg

A series slaving away alongside its brethren in the shadow of titans - namely, the age of sail adventures of Hornblower and Aubrey & Maturin - but worthy of its inspiration and certainly bringing something intriguing and decidedly unique to the table. Kydd, unlike most naval protagonists drawn from the era, rises to captaincy from the position of unwilling press-ganged Jack Tar. Undoubtedly, the series has lost some of this unique element now that we're almost a dozen volumes in and Kydd has made post-captain, but Stockwin's characters still glisten as they enter a tense period. Not dissimilar to one of its great inspirations, though, is the enduring friendship between Kydd and Renzi, long-time shipmate and disavowed scion of a wealthy family, which has somewhat stuttered in interest since Renzi's frustrated romantic entanglement with Kydd's sister began to field center stage a few volume's ago.

And while Stockwin's command of naval action is no less masterful, there is some failing in the frightless portrayal of the 'Great Terror' England finds itself in at the prospect of Napoleon's invasion. Moreover, after a riveting and sometimes morose start, there is an almost enfeebled, comfortable passage on the way to Trafalgar which could, admittedly, be primarily caused by the evident nature of its place in history. The novel is in this way quite sparse, almost as if in trying to take on the gamut of Nelson and his great last victory, Stockwin was overwhelmed and decided to keep it simple. Nevertheless, much like the series on the whole, it is a dependable take, bathed very much in blood and fire.

finowns said:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3LfqAkxyb2w/TCfu0gSZgVI/AAAAAAAAB9w/lv80jMtSbdI/s1600/396px-Ghost_Story_Butcher.jpg

Hold me!

You got an ARC? Lucky fish.

Salazar

The Boondocks: All the Rage. Damned good. I could have done without quite a few of the interviews and profiles in the middle, though.

A Storm of Swords pt. 1. Reread. Still finding Daenerys chapters dull.

McSweeney's #35. Only just started it. The Roddy Doyle story that starts it is fine. Looking forward to the rest.

fux36a.jpg
Only found out about its existence via the GAF pick-up thread. Quite good.

23wra6p.jpg
Quite interesting and far more varied than I expected.

2uh35mr.jpg
Graphic novel by the son of Stephen King, it's pretty good.

Kuraudo

Banned
johnsmith said:
WindUpBirdChronicle.jpg

Funnily enough, I just finished Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and haven't got a clue what that was about either.

Blood Meridian was great
Fatal Alliance was about what you'd expect from Star Wars novels

I've moved on to yet another campy video game tie in...

SOelIl.jpg

and I know what you're wondering GAF and the answer is yes, there is indeed a slow elevator joke and it's pretty early on (oops spoilers)

Otherwise so far it's a pretty awesome continuation of the story of these people who seem to have nothing to do with the story in the game except to give you a little bit of mass effect flava

Mifune said:
Well I cheated and picked up Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart in hardcover, but it's for a book club so I guess that's acceptable.

Anyway, I haven't read Moody before so I should probably work my way up to the new one. Yeah...that's it.

A lot of this book is very different than his other work so that actually might not be the worst idea.

:D

Just a heads up Book-GAF, seems Barnes and Noble is clearing out hardcover stock IRL stores. Found David Sedaris' new book "Engulfed in Flames" for five dollars. Steal! :D

stormofswords.jpg

Half way through. Looking forward to A Feast For Crows. Yet at the same time that just means a torturous wait for A Dance With Dragons. Not to mention the last two books. Good thing I've got the Wheel of Time on the backburner.

Top Bottom