• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2011)

the_shallows.large.jpg

Just starting this. I'm intrigued by the arguments he puts forth, seems especially pertinent to me as a GAF-browser (and a heavy internet user in general). Though by being a book reader as well, I'm not feeling too worried that my brain is starting to trail off into the shallows.

KidDork

NorwegianWood.jpg

Finished this today. Sad, beautiful, and I didn't want it to end. Since many of you here have read it, I think I'm not alone feeling that way. If you're sitting on the fence about reading Murakami, please consider this a gentle push. I was tempted to go straight into The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, but I think I'll put a little space between books.

Instead, going back to A Visit From The Goon Squad, since I stalled out on that a few months ago.

Ratrat

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
(Click for superior Norwegian? cover)

I am saddened that I wasted so much time with recent lesser authors before picking up this classic. Whats another standout by him?

braves01

Banned
I just finished
A-Feast-for-Crows.jpg

So it's finally time to start
george_r._r._martin_-_a_dance_with_dragons_-_us.jpg

AFFC spoiler:
I almost laughed when I got to the final section of the book, where Martin apologizes for how he had to split the book up. The best part? "I devoutly hope to have ADWD out next year." The wait would have pissed me off so much if I'd been into the series back then and that was how he left the series for six years. I really hope ADWD doesn't end the same way

Also picked up Life by Keith Richards. Good so far.

Prez

Sblargh said:
Favorite author. So good to be reading him again.

179077_938.jpg

I love French literature, so I might give him a shot. Is his writing (in French) difficult to read? What is a good book to start with by him?

Sblargh

Banned
Stabbie said:
I love French literature, so I might give him a shot. Is his writing (in French) difficult to read? What is a good book to start with by him?

I just read him in portuguese, so can't help with the first question. As place to start, I would recommend either Thais or Pierre Noziere as a start, depending on which style you prefer. There are supposedly two stages of his work, the first one, which Pierre Noziere is part, is his more conservative phase, it is heavy on nostalgic memories about early 19th century france; from Thais onward, begins his more progressive phase, heavy on critics on religion and society.

Pierre Noziere is about the memoirs of a french man, spanning from his childhood to his travels throught france. It is heavenly if you are into France. His knowledge of french culture, both erudite and popular, is unmatched. The book is kind of an aggregation of stories about french families, both poor and rich.
Thais, which may be my favorite book of all time, is about a monk who decides that his mission is life is to convert (pre-fall of Rome) Alexandria's most famous courtesan to christianism and, again, his knowledge of both the erudite and popular culture is amazing.

Anyway, after either one, I totally recommend starting the 4-book series "contemporary history", which is about a Latin scholar of the 19th century who get's invovled in the Dreyfus Affair.

And that's it for what I know about Anatole France. :p Other then that I just read a little "horror" story of his that is actually a very beautiful christian tale that I think it would be impossible for any other human being to write, can't remeber the name now tho. :(
-
Also, speaking of french literature, I read (again, in portuguese) three short stories by Balzac, which I can only find the title in english for The Deserted Woman. Very good, too, kind of different, but kind of like Anatole in the sense that by focusing on the drama of particular families, it paints a picture of French in general (different times and different focus tho).

LOCK

braves01 said:
I just finished
A-Feast-for-Crows.jpg

So it's finally time to start
george_r._r._martin_-_a_dance_with_dragons_-_us.jpg

AFFC spoiler:
I almost laughed when I got to the final section of the book, where Martin apologizes for how he had to split the book up. The best part? "I devoutly hope to have ADWD out next year." The wait would have pissed me off so much if I'd been into the series back then and that was how he left the series for six years. I really hope ADWD doesn't end the same way

Also picked up Life by Keith Richards. Good so far.
This.

I'm finding that I enjoy ADWD ALOT. But I'm reading one or two chapters a day because I don't want it to end....:(

Prez

Sblargh said:
I just read him in portuguese, so can't help with the first question. As place to start, I would recommend either Thais or Pierre Noziere as a start, depending on which style you prefer. There are supposedly two stages of his work, the first one, which Pierre Noziere is part, is his more conservative phase, it is heavy on nostalgic memories about early 19th century france; from Thais onward, begins his more progressive phase, heavy on critics on religion and society.

Pierre Noziere is about the memoirs of a french man, spanning from his childhood to his travels throught france. It is heavenly if you are into France. His knowledge of french culture, both erudite and popular, is unmatched. The book is kind of an aggregation of stories about french families, both poor and rich.
Thais, which may be my favorite book of all time, is about a monk who decides that his mission is life is to convert (pre-fall of Rome) Alexandria's most famous courtesan to christianism and, again, his knowledge of both the erudite and popular culture is amazing.

Anyway, after either one, I totally recommend starting the 4-book series "contemporary history", which is about a Latin scholar of the 19th century who get's invovled in the Dreyfus Affair.

And that's it for what I know about Anatole France. :p Other then that I just read a little "horror" story of his that is actually a very beautiful christian tale that I think it would be impossible for any other human being to write, can't remeber the name now tho. :(
-
Also, speaking of french literature, I read (again, in portuguese) three short stories by Balzac, which I can only find the title in english for The Deserted Woman. Very good, too, kind of different, but kind of like Anatole in the sense that by focusing on the drama of particular families, it paints a picture of French in general (different times and different focus tho).

Thanks. I think I'll start with Pierre Noziere. Sounds very interesting!

One thing I love about French literature is the language. I love the French language so much, I could probably not stand any translations.

Fjordson

demon said:
So no one's down with my idea of everyone having a Shelfari account and having links to them in the OP each month? :(
I like the idea, but I'm a Goodreads man myself =(

Now deep into The Founding by Dan Abnett, the first omnibus for Warhammer 40k series Gaunt's Ghosts. Wanted something a bit lighter after Dance With Dragons. It's really, really good. Think I'm going to read the Eisenhorn trilogy next.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Currently reading The Lovely Bones. My eyes have welled up with tears at a handful of times throughout the book, and I'm still not done with it.

Salazar

Fjordson said:
Think I'm going to read the Eisenhorn trilogy next.

Fuck yeah. The Ravenor stuff is really quite different, too. Largely because Ravenor is basically just a psyche in a mobile chair.

Fjordson

Salazar said:
Fuck yeah. The Ravenor stuff is really quite different, too. Largely because Ravenor is basically just a psyche in a mobile chair.
Was eyeing that one as well. Glad to hear it's good. I love these $10 omnibuses from Amazon.

When you really get down to it, the 40k universe is actually really interesting, imo. Much more to it than you'd think.

Currently reading 'Player Piano' by Kurt Vonnegut - I also recently read two of his other early works 'Cat's Cradle' and 'The Sirens of Titan', both of which I really enjoyed, especially Sirens of Titan that was wonderfully intriguing and inventive. Having trouble getting into Player Piano though, it definitely shows that it was his first novel. Also been reading quite a lot of Harlan Ellison again.

Sblargh

Banned
Stabbie said:
Thanks. I think I'll start with Pierre Noziere. Sounds very interesting!

One thing I love about French literature is the language. I love the French language so much, I could probably not stand any translations.

I get you. My french isn't horrible, but it would also be too tiring to reading causally in french like this and since now my objective is to learn german, I think it will be a while before I learn it proper. :(
But indeed, it is a beautiful language.

KidDork

Fjordson said:
When you really get down to it, the 40k universe is actually really interesting, imo. Much more to it than you'd think.

It's easily the most interesting and well thought out spin off series I've ever read. Quite a bit of it is just pure solid SF that really should be getting more attention than it does. I think many people dismiss it because it's just another novel series 'based on a game'.

They're missing out.

KidDork said:
It's easily the most interesting and well thought out spin off series I've ever read. Quite a bit of it is just pure solid SF that really should be getting more attention than it does. I think many people dismiss it because it's just another novel series 'based on a game'.

They're missing out.

Where would you recommend a good starting point is, to get into the series?

Fjordson

LocoMrPollock said:
What most people told me is to firstly, read up a bit on the basics of the universe.The setting, the major factions, etc. Read up on the Imperium of Man and its overall structure. You don't have to, but it helped me. Then, there are a few omnibuses that are great starting points:

books 1-3 of the Gaunt's Ghosts series

Eisenhorn trilogy

I started with Gaunt's Ghosts and am currently reading that. Love it. Not finding anything that's going over my head so it seems like a good starting point.

I had people mention the Horus Heresy series a lot saying that it's really good, but a fair share of them said that it's better to already have some knowledge of 40K before starting HH. Couldn't tell you myself if that's the case, but there aren't any omnibuses for Horus so I just went ahead and bought the two aforementioned collections.

Thanks man. Ordered a couple of them off of Amazon.

Finished up-
e4b9c0a398a00e014796d110.L._AA300_.jpg

Got it for $2 during the sale and it turned out a lot better than I expected. It pays homage to Enemy Mine and is pretty well done. Really enjoyed it.

Now starting-
41uxiYT%2BIEL._AA300_.jpg

Read the first couple chapters and it hooked me. Been a while since I read any King, so looking forward to it.

Toby

Finally finished
In%20Cold%20Blood%20-%20Truman%20Capote.jpg

I thought it was excellently written. It was hard to get myself to read it though, as I already knew what happened in the end.
Started and currently loving:
Snow-Crash-9780553380958.jpg

mike23

Finished up The Melloreon books by David Eddings. I'm glad I read them. I actually liked the series more than the Belgariad. The ending was satisfying too.

On a side note, I'm up to 49 books in 2011, which is quite a bit more than I've read in past years. How's everyone else's book count looking this year?

I'm almost finished with The Holocaust Industry by Norman Finkelstein. Wow, this book has really opened my eyes to the manipulation and perversion by the "holocaust industry" (huge American and Israeli organizations) to use the memory of the holocaust to push for their own agenda (both financially and politically).

51MN1M8OADL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

and the other book I got, but have not started to read:

411HTFcMKSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

mike23 said:
On a side note, I'm up to 49 books in 2011, which is quite a bit more than I've read in past years. How's everyone else's book count looking this year?

I'm doing the 2011 goodreads reading challenge.

lFRFZ.png

I'm falling a little behind from my goal but I expect to have a little more free time by the end of the year and try to catch up.

MrOogieBoogie said:
Currently reading The Lovely Bones. My eyes have welled up with tears at a handful of times throughout the book, and I'm still not done with it.

I was listening to Sigur Ros during the entirety of reading through The Lovely Bones. Holy shit, not a good plan on my parts.

Duress

Finished

6a00d8346c5b9753ef0120a50f9ec7970b-500wi

It's interesting how you can relate what was happening then to what's happening in the present.

Started to read:

BladeItself.jpg

Trying to get away from the depressing stuff.

skyfinch

Would any of you be interested in the novel I wrote? It's called Forever Jacob: Project New Hope.
http://www.yawzway.com

home_jacobcover.jpg

"A heart warming story about a first generation robot named Jacob. To save his kind from the brink of extinction, Jacob must do the impossible. He must reverse the cycle of evolution. Recreate the ones who created his kind - humans, and he must do so before the moon collides with Earth."

It's my very first novel, and I would be very interested to see what people think of it. Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Edit, also designed the cover. :)

_Isaac said:
Wow. 22 Books behind. haha.

Actually it's more like 19, I bought the Song of Ice and Fire 1-4 pack to re-read before A dance with dragons launched and it only counted as one, when it should count more like for 8 normal sized books. :(

skyfinch said:
Would any of you be interested in the novel I wrote? It's called Forever Jacob: Project New Hope.
http://www.yawzway.com

http://www.yawzway.com/images/home_jacobcover.jpg[IMG]

"A heart warming story about a first generation robot named Jacob. To save his kind from the brink of extinction, Jacob must do the impossible. He must reverse the cycle of evolution. Recreate the ones who created his kind - humans, and he must do so before the moon collides with Earth."

It's my very first novel, and I would be very interested to see what people think of it. Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Edit, also designed the cover. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm in for the Kindle edition.

Also, I can't stand the cover.

skyfinch

LocoMrPollock said:
I'm in for the Kindle edition.

Also, I can't stand the cover.

Thanks. Hope you enjoy the book.

*Already have an alternate cover planned. More simple. Just takes me a while to do.

Blu10

Seems pretty good so far. I've been plowing through books in the past couple of weeks. All of Kevin Hearne's books, and just finished Devil's Cape by Rob Rogers, which outside a few cliches was really good.

KidDork

LocoMrPollock said:

What Fjordson said. My first novel was also Gaunt's Ghosts, and then I moved onto The Horus Heresy. Anything by Dan Abnett is always a good choice. Enjoy!

As for the GoodReads reading challenge, I was aiming for 50 books, and have managed to hit 20. Currently 11 behind. Not looking good.

Stalled out again reading A Visit From The Goon Squad so fled to this.

soulless.jpg

Proper English woman battling vampires and getting upset over treacle tarts. Now this I can connect with!

Karakand

joseranulfo said:

lFRFZ.png

I'm falling a little behind from my goal but I expect to have a little more free time by the end of the year and try to catch up.
Hope you can make it. It felt like a real accomplishment when I hit my goal.

RSgsg.jpg

joseranulfo said:

lFRFZ.png

I originally set my reading challenge to 52, but I passed it a few weeks ago, so I increased it to 75. Last year, I read 81, but since I'm reading longer books now, not sure if I'll beat last year's total.

Just finished reading this:

Heroes at Odds by Moira J. Moore
One of my favorite fantasy series but it has a really awful cover. Man, this series really needs to get a better cover artist.

Mumei

KidDork said:
IMG]http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr286/KidDork/soulless.jpg[/IMG]

Proper English woman battling vampires and getting upset over treacle tarts. Now this I can connect with!

A friend of mine recommended this. I am going to read it after I finish Monte Cristo.

nakedsushi or joseranulfo, is it possible to start the 2011 reading challenge thing now? I have a Goodreads account, but I didn't make one until more recently and I'd like to set a goal for the rest of the year.

Mumei said:
A friend of mine recommended this. I am going to read it after I finish Monte Cristo.

nakedsushi or joseranulfo, is it possible to start the 2011 reading challenge thing now? I have a Goodreads account, but I didn't make one until more recently and I'd like to set a goal for the rest of the year.

Sure, just go here and start one for yourself: http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/2

vareon

Just finished:

Retribution+Falls.jpg

Not an amazing book, but I really enjoyed it. It was a Gaffer's recommendation too, but I cant' find my old thread. Thanks whoever you are!

vareon said:
Just finished:

Retribution+Falls.jpg

Not an amazing book, but I really enjoyed it. It was a Gaffer's recommendation too, but I cant' find my old thread. Thanks whoever you are!

That's been on my to-read list for a while. I love the cover. Someone described it as a steampunk Firefly. Would you say that's accurate?

FnordChan

nakedsushi said:
That's been on my to-read list for a while. I love the cover. Someone described it as a steampunk Firefly. Would you say that's accurate?

That's a pretty accurate description, with a bit of a caveat. In Firefly, you have this generally lovable cast who all bond together as a family in short order, and I'd say that's a big part of the appeal of the series. Meanwhile, the crew of the Ketty Jay have the misfit privateers part of Firefly down pat, but they aren't what you would call the most likable bunch when you're introduced to them at the beginning of the novel. Give them and the book a chance, however, and I think you'll enjoy the hell out of it.

FnordChan

Top Bottom