• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2012)

mu cephei

I think we read Burgin/O'Connor for the M&M book club thread.

I found a few things irritating about it (mainly the use of endnotes; argh!), but it read well for the most part.

I see I'm misremembering. Possibly I wanted to like the P&V because it was a Penguin Classic and they're nice-looking books (and would match the rest on my bookshelf). I think my priorities were a little off...

More pertinent: I've only just finished the first volume of The Portrait of a Lady. Several lines I am just not sure of; they obviously refer to stuff I should have picked up on, but didn't.

Anyway, sounds like there's enough interest for a thread. I'll pick up the book and put something together this weekend.

Will probably use some broad milestones to keep people moving and give a little focus to the discussion.

If I can finish up this book about J Edgar Hoover by the time you folks start it up I think I'll be in too.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Anyway, sounds like there's enough interest for a thread. I'll pick up the book and put something together this weekend.

Will probably use some broad milestones to keep people moving and give a little focus to the discussion.

Great, I should finish The Terror tonight and can probably get in another short book by the weekend or a few days after.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I've been meaning to read it for years.

Hmm. Would you guys be interested in doing a GAF book club revival for The Brothers Karamazov? I might make it two months or at least one and a half, given the size of the novel.

I would, except I'm already reading the P&V translation of Brothers Karamazov.. and refuse to hold it off till the thread is made, since it's on loan.:p

IISANDERII

thumbnail.aspx

It's good, I'm certainly enjoying it more than most other post apocalyptos, but I'm 1/3 way through and the pace is wearing thin. I hope it changes gears.
Just finished

Db7od.jpg

One of the best books I've read in years. I usually not that into non-fictional literature but man, what a ride it was. I'm feeling so stupid right now for not being able to express my thoughts. It's one of those books that stay with you even after you've finished them (at least in my case). I wish I could remember the name of the Gaffer who mentioned Tokyo Vice in another thread, thanks! I'm probably going to pick up Yakuza Moon by Shoko Tendo some time.
I think I just located me next book. I love nonfiction and am very interested in organized crime and locations of an Asiatic nature.

Kunan

I'm about 1/4 through Stardust and things are starting to pick up. Lots of new characters being introduced right now. Very entertaining read so far, thanks for the recommendations!

Started these 2

BioShock: Rapture by John Shirley

Wanted more underwater cities after reading Undersea and this is blowing me away, how good it is and well written. Definitely the best videogame tie-in book I've ever read. Not that that is saying much, but this is great.

That's funny because when I bought Undersea, I was thinking it was exactly like that Bioshock short book. How would you rate Bioshock: Rapture so far? Better or worse than Undersea? I'm only a few pages into Undersea and so far, not that hooked.

Currently reading:

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
So far, so...idk what the heck is going on, but pretty entertaining descriptions of characters and their thoughts.

Close to the Machine: Technophilia and Its Discontents by Ellen Ullman
Got this from work as a book perk. Definitely written by a software engineer because she knows the thought process that goes on when you're "in the zone" but some of her anecdotes seem anachronistic. Or maybe I just feel that way because I've never worked in a corproate douchey environment.

Unclaimed by Courtney Milan
Brain candy! I'm enjoying the reversal of who's chaste this time. Usually it's the woman, but this time it's the man.

That's funny because when I bought Undersea, I was thinking it was exactly like that Bioshock short book. How would you rate Bioshock: Rapture so far? Better or worse than Undersea? I'm only a few pages into Undersea and so far, not that hooked.

It's definitely better than Undersea. Better characters and writing and the setup is great. I'm still early on and it's dealing with the construction of Rapture and the politics behind it with a few different POVs.

200px-History_of_Western_Philosophy.jpeg

Just on the point of finishing this behemoth of a book.

Russell sure don't shy away from the dry details -- and that, combined with the length, makes this a tough read. But certainly a worthwhile one. Because it is not only a history of philosophy but also a general history of the West, post-Thales, and Russell always takes care to link a philosopher to his circumstances and context. That, I suppose, it what makes it unique, and so incredibly ambitious.

Nevertheless, it is fairly summarized as Sophie's World for the brave.

H8r9B.jpg

An interesting if not a bit maddening read of a Syrian-American who stayed behind during Katrina and was picked up by police in connection to assumed terrorist activities.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Finished:

200px-Terror_simmons.jpg

I went back and forth on this book a lot. I think it's too long, but I thought that less strongly in the last 3rd of the book. I love Simmons, and he does an incredible job of conveying the situation these guys are in and the horrible oppressive cold. For most of the book I knew that my ultimate enjoyment of it would rest on how it ended. I've heard some negative things about the ending, but I thought it was phenomenal. Couldn't have asked for a better ending.

That being said I highly recommend this book.

Starting:

url

Gonna bang this out before starting The Brothers Karamazov with GAF whenever Cyan puts that up.

dream

drm pls

(How is it so far?)

You know, I hate to say it, but it's not very McKaylalicious. I generally like most of Auster's stuff but Winter Journal oscillates between being cloying and being self-indulgent. The narrative mode strikes me as being particularly lazy, especially his use of the second person view. I dove into this hoping to ruminate on the nature of aging and the vastness of life, but it just made me want to re-read the New York Trilogy instead.

wbsmcs

Just got my textbooks for the new school year sent to me, among them are:

5EAoP.jpg
D593p.jpg

z4RU8.jpg
AjmcG.jpg

gLOOh.jpg
cC4lx.jpg

kMuJ4.jpg

First one I'm looking to read is Slaughterhouse Five as i have heard great things about it.

H8r9B.jpg

An interesting if not a bit maddening read of a Syrian-American who stayed behind during Katrina and was picked up by police in connection to assumed terrorist activities.

...and turns out, if the recent charges against him are founded, to be a scumbag beyond measure. But I still dig Eggars, and maybe the guy's Katrina story really is true...

Piecake

Well, reading The Light Fantastic - Discworld right now. Quite enjoying it, and the characters are awesome

Speaking of characters, is it wrong that my favorite character right now is The Luggage? So hilarious

Just finished this:

jsuYO.jpg

It was good enough that I immediately ordered the sequel, Rule 34.

Just started:

DEGJF.jpg

Man, Chuck Wendig has a dark place in that brain of his...

noobasuar

Banned
Just finished "A Scanner Darkly" by Philip K. Dick. It was AWESOME. Any recommendations on what I should read next by him? I'd like something similar.

androidcandy

Neo Member
Currently reading the last book in the Shadowdance Trilogy:
Sg680.png

This series way really fun, and the fight sequences were well written. I liked it better than the Brent weeks books(not that they were bad or anything).

Next up is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn:
aP9n7.jpg

Really excited about this one. It sounded pretty interesting, and I have never read any of his work, so if it's good I might pick up a few more books by him.

Just finished "A Scanner Darkly" by Philip K. Dick. It was AWESOME. Any recommendations on what I should read next by him? I'd like something similar.

I haven't read Scanner Darkly, but like most of Dick's works. Some that I've liked:

The Adjustment Bureau by Philip K. Dick

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

Next up is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn:
aP9n7.jpg

Really excited about this one. It sounded pretty interesting, and I have never read any of his work, so if it's good I might pick up a few more books by him.

You're in for a treat. I gobbled this one up in about two days. BTW, the author is a HER.

ultron87

Starting up The Night Circus.

Night-Circus-UK-cover.jpg

About 20% in. Clearly still just setting stuff up, but I like how it is shaping up so far.

Jintor

About 150 pages into Time Traveller's Wife and I'm beginning to see what you guys meant. Still, it's maintaining interest. Doing my corporate law assignment at the same time sucks though.

mjc

c6_8671712_0__TheWayofKings.jpeg

Just started this on my older Nook, but I went ahead and ordered a hard copy because I didn't want to miss out on the details of the illustrations and maps. (They were too small/distorted on my Nook) Very interesting from what I've read so far though.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
The only book in existence that I have bought primarily for its title. Unfortunately, haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Will soon.

Thats pretty much me and "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Seriously one of the best titles ever hahaha

x-Lundz-x

I'm currently reading on my iPad:
43884.jpg

I'm currently listening using Audible:
233649.jpg

I've read most of the Wheel of Time books 3 times but this is my first go round listening to them and I am very impressed. The readers do an excellent job and I am finding things I missed reading that I am catching by listening to the books. I am going through the books one last time before the final book is released in January. It's been a long journey; I've been reading these books for 20 years and it's almost time for Rand's story to be done. I can't wait.

ymmv

Banned
Ah. Russian intelligenzia + American space opera setting = a pretty good read.

Russian intelligenzia?

Isaac Asimov moved with his parents to the US when he was three years old. He never spoke Russian,only English and Yiddish.

Woorloog

Banned
http://drkronner.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/foundationtrilogypb.jpg[IMG]

Ah. Russian intelligenzia + American space opera setting = a pretty good read.[/QUOTE]

Eh, the books are in wrong order in the pic. Second Foundation is the last one.
/nitpick

I need to make a list of the books i've read this year, or tried to...

Currently, Neal Asher's The Departure and Joe Abercombie's The First Law trilogy.

Top Bottom