• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2012)

Jezabel

doing a reread of ASOS on my flashy new kindle.

having a kindle and reading with it in bed is so damn comfortable

Mumei

I got a lot of reading done of Pride and Prejudice. It was a bit of a slow burn for me at the start, but it has grown on me a lot. And I like Elizabeth better than I might partially because the annotator does a really good job contrasting her with other contemporary female heroines, elaborating on the stifling social context that she lives in (and which Austen's audience would have been familiar with, presumably), and it becomes more obvious the ways that she... I wouldn't say "rebels" but at least has some push-and-pull with it. I have about 50 pages to go, which for my edition is about half of Volume III.

I also read the first volume of Wandering Son yesterday. It was ... cute, I guess. I enjoyed the author's self-deprecation at the end about all the characters looking the same... because they did.

TTG

I just finished the Millennium trilogy, I like The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo more than the sequels, but enjoyed all of the series. Any suggestions for something in the same genre? I don't read this type of book often, so I don't want to go for something completely different just yet.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Hey I noticed you're using Goodreads.com book links (thanks!). Did you know there's a widget/shortcut thing on each book page (scroll down and look at the right side in the "Share This Book" section, click the "Your website" link) that gives you a BBcode snippet you can copy/paste to forums that includes the image and link already?

Thanks for the tip! I will do that in the future.

Dresden

started The Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon--fun stuff so far, a pair of jewish bandits/adventurers swashbuckling through tenth century middle east.

Rom1944

I`m reading:

images

and boy i was missing some good historical novel now i will have to buy all the books my wallet is going to resent it.

FnordChan

The Big U by Neal Stephenson

It's the first Stephenson I've read and I know he has come out disowning it but I usually like to start from the beginning when reading an author. I'm pretty excited to check out his stuff!

I'm a great fan of The Big U. As a first novel it's kinda a mess, but I thought it was a really fun mess, and considering how much time I've spent refusing to leave college one way or another I appreciated the broadly satirical look at campus life. I hope you dig it!

FnordChan

8bit

Knows the Score
Just downloaded this:

51dUcqsFN3L.jpg

Been ages since I've read any of his works, hopefully still enjoyable after this time.

Cactus

Banned
I just started this, only 5 chapters in (they're short chapters). I'm liking it so far.

Big_Sleep.jpg

I love most of Chandler's novels. His works definitely have more literary value than the average detective novel, IMO.

Incedentally, I started reading Trouble Is My Business last night. Hopefully his short stories are as good as his full lengths.

Oh my goodness, why haven't I ever read more of Ray Bradbury?! Only thing I've read by him is Something Wicked This Way Comes. Finally got around to reading some more of him this month.

Just finished reading this:
51MB4KzloUL._AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I loved how he was able to link all the individual tales together. It reminded me a lot of 2001 by Arthur C Clark in that manner. I was impressed with Bradbury's social commentary, too. Definitely one of my all time favorite books.

Working on this:
119136695.JPG

It's more of a short story collection than an actual novel. Still, it's an incredibly well put together book with complex short stories. I'm loving it so far.

thomaser

I love most of Chandler's novels. His works definitely have more literary value than the average detective novel, IMO.

Good to hear - I'm just about to start a university course about the American Detective Novel, and The Big Sleep is one of the nine books we have to read. Really looking forward to it!

The other books are: Grafton: ""M" is for Malice", MacDonald: "Black Money", Paretsky: "Tunnel Vision", Cornwell: "Body of Evidence", Hammett: "Maltese Falcon" and "Red Harvest", Mosley: "Devil in a Blue Dress", and Parker: "Promised Land". I know Hammett's books are supposed to be great, and Grafton's is a famous one, but what about the rest? Are they good too?

Cactus

Banned
Good to hear - I'm just about to start a university course about the American Detective Novel, and The Big Sleep is one of the nine books we have to read. Really looking forward to it!

The other books are: Grafton: ""M" is for Malice", MacDonald: "Black Money", Paretsky: "Tunnel Vision", Cornwell: "Body of Evidence", Hammett: "Maltese Falcon" and "Red Harvest", Mosley: "Devil in a Blue Dress", and Parker: "Promised Land". I know Hammett's books are supposed to be great, and Grafton's is a famous one, but what about the rest? Are they good too?

I'm only familiar with Hammett and Macdonald but I'd say that they're both worthy of recommendation.

Finished A Storm of Swords and it was just amazing. I was on my knees begging for more after that ending so I decided to hop right into A Feast for Crows.

9780553582024.jpg

Working on this:
119136695.JPG

It's more of a short story collection than an actual novel. Still, it's an incredibly well put together book with complex short stories. I'm loving it so far.

I should probably read this. I watched the movie recently and none of the stories made a lick of sense but they were oddly intriguing none the less. I'm guessing the stories in the book are much easier to understand.

hom3land

just finished

11601752.jpg

Confused on one part.
Who attacked Hub world, that made them have to move the rehab center to a more secluded place?"

deadbeef

I forgot to add - earlier this month I picked up this book after the author wrote a column regarding the recent mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado.

Columbine by Dave Cullen

I'll admit that perhaps it doesn't tell the whole story of what happened leading up to the shooting at Columbine, but it is a pretty good book. Made me sick to my stomach reading it.

Just finished House of Chains by Steven Erickson. This book series is easily the most difficult I've read; not because the books are boring, or the prose is difficult, but because it's incredibly important to pay attention as you read. Erickson plans so far ahead, and he throws little hints and important tidbits in previous books that may not come to fruition for two or three more books. I tend to skim over large sections of text in a lot of the books I read, but I can't do that with the Malazan novels. Erickson trusts his readers to intellectually put together clues he scatters everywhere. All that said, the series is becoming one of my favorite, and pretty much everything about these books has tickled my fancy so far.

I'm going to move onto American Gods by Neil Gaiman before reading the next Malazan book, Midnight Tides.

I got an email saying StoryBundle is up. Not sure of the quality of the books in the bundle, but since it's pay as you like, it's easy to take the plunge. It's like indie game bundle, but for books.

Will post my reviews as I go through the books.

http://storybundle.com/

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
What are the next-best Cyberpunk novels after Neuromancer and Snow Crash? (Those are the two I hear talked about most at any rate)

To add to this discussion besides just looking for recommendations - Finished Crime and Punishment. Absolutely fantastic, though the prose was far more dense than Im used to. Probably would've taken another week or so to finish it (mostly on account of its prose), but our cable/internet/tv was out last thursday and friday which left me with little to do but read haha. But like I said, just fantastic.

In my continuing effort to be reading some more classics inbetween all of my sci-fi and fantasy fare,

iY6zw.jpg

The Complete Sherlock Holmes

Been a long time fan of Sherlock Holmes since my dad introduced me to the old Granada TV Show, and finally getting around to reading these. Great and entertaining stories, though the text is so small that it feels like I'm barely making any progress as I read through it haha.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Just finished House of Chains by Steven Erickson.  This book series is easily the most difficult I've read; not because the books are boring, or the prose is difficult, but because it's incredibly important to pay attention as you read.  Erickson plans so far ahead, and he throws little hints and important tidbits in previous books that may not come to fruition for two or three more books.  I tend to skim over large sections of text in a lot of the books I read, but I can't do that with the Malazan novels.  Erickson trusts his readers to intellectually put together clues he scatters everywhere.  All that said, the series is becoming one of my favorite, and pretty much everything about these books has tickled my fancy so far.

I'm going to move onto American Gods by Neil Gaiman before reading the next Malazan book, Midnight Tides.

House of Chains seemed to generate lots of divisive opinions, but I liked it alot. 
Also, Erikson, not Erickson. 

Currently reading The Mongoliad by Neal Stephenson et al. and Röde Orm by Frans G. Bengtsson. 

Jintor

Hey I noticed you're using Goodreads.com book links (thanks!). Did you know there's a widget/shortcut thing on each book page (scroll down and look at the right side in the "Share This Book" section, click the "Your website" link) that gives you a BBcode snippet you can copy/paste to forums that includes the image and link already?

wat

let me try this

Night Watch by Terry Pratchett
This is actually a re-read, but since I didn't actually own the book before and it's been a few years since I last read it I'll post it here. Probably my favourite of all the Watch books, though I haven't read Snuff yet.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on Wool #4 now. This series is wonderful.

It definitely seems like the shit is about to hit the proverbial fan.

amazing books, love them. number 6 (a prequel) is great as well. number 5 is about the length of 1-4 combined I think. not entirely sure as I read it on kindle, but I think it's by far the longest.

Sajjaja

Has anyone read The Brothers Karamazov? It'll probably be the book I read after Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy.

I bought this edition but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
The_Brothers_Karamazov.jpg

Any thoughts on it?

Manik

Just finished House of Chains by Steven Erickson. This book series is easily the most difficult I've read; not because the books are boring, or the prose is difficult, but because it's incredibly important to pay attention as you read. Erickson plans so far ahead, and he throws little hints and important tidbits in previous books that may not come to fruition for two or three more books. I tend to skim over large sections of text in a lot of the books I read, but I can't do that with the Malazan novels. Erickson trusts his readers to intellectually put together clues he scatters everywhere. All that said, the series is becoming one of my favorite, and pretty much everything about these books has tickled my fancy so far.

That's the same habit that I have. I'll skim quickly over a paragraph or two and have to go back and reread just in case I've missed the one vital bit of information that was casually thrown out there.

I almost feel like, after the first 5 books, I should go back and do a reread of them, before moving onto books 6 - 10, just to clarify things in my head. That, or try and devise a mind map for how everything connects. I imagine that would be quite an undertaking though.

As I said earlier in the thread, from the comments I've read HoC improves greatly if you go back and read it again at the end, as there's a lot of setup and foreshadowing that seems to make the book feel incomplete the first time through.

I'm just about to start Midnight Tides which I'm hugely looking forward to.

That's the same habit that I have. I'll skim quickly over a paragraph or two and have to go back and reread just in case I've missed the one vital bit of information that was casually thrown out there.

I almost feel like, after the first 5 books, I should go back and do a reread of them, before moving onto books 6 - 10, just to clarify things in my head. That, or try and devise a mind map for how everything connects. I imagine that would be quite an undertaking though.

As I said earlier in the thread, from the comments I've read HoC improves greatly if you go back and read it again at the end, as there's a lot of setup and foreshadowing that seems to make the book feel incomplete the first time through.

I'm just about to start Midnight Tides which I'm hugely looking forward to.

Whoops, Erikson.

Also, someone posted this website earlier(http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen) that has a summary of each scene plus commentary from someone who is reading the book for the first time and someone who has read them all already. Careful of the comments section. It really helped me to understand some things that were confusing me, and they're usually pretty spot on.

Oh, and I second Diamond Age for anyone looking for a cyberpunk novel, although I'm not quite sure it can be called cyberpunk

Jintor

I don't quite think it is either, but it's definitely a future-society style work and everybody has 3D printers, so it's something close. I really enjoyed it.

Pocks

I loved watching Game of Thrones, so I decided to buy the 4-pack.

I'm still on the first book, but it's really quite enthralling.

Zeth

I'm starting Burning Angels by Rickard K Morgan. Anyone have an opinion on how it compares to books 1 and 3 (Takeshi Kovacs series)? I liked Altered Carbon but this one seems to be quite different. Hoping I get the same great future-action-detective-noir.

Manik

Whoops, Erikson.

Also, someone posted this website earlier(http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen) that has a summary of each scene plus commentary from someone who is reading the book for the first time and someone who has read them all already. Careful of the comments section. It really helped me to understand some things that were confusing me, and they're usually pretty spot on.

Oh, and I second Diamond Age for anyone looking for a cyberpunk novel, although I'm not quite sure it can be called cyberpunk

Yeah, that was me that posted that tor reread - it's come in super handy, though I seem to outpacing them so I've no idea what I'm going to do once I'm ahead of their reread chapters.

The forum over at Malazanempire.com is really useful too and helped to clarify a few things I'd overlooked but they're only worth reading after finishing the particular book you're on.

Also - I second the Diamond Age recommendation. It was my first Neal Stephenson book and I enjoyed it immensely.

200px-Ggas_human_soc.jpg

(It's Guns, Germs and Steel for those browsing without images)

Just finished this yesterday. Very informative. Some of the late chapters dragged a bit but its a great book nevertheless.

Today I started Lolita. My first book to read by Nabokov. Very excited :)

Reading a Feast for Crows; the books is just AMAZING, I am engrossed, so much better than the TV series.

---
I also read [rather skipped through after being fed up with reading same shit over and over in each chapter] Fifty Shades of Grey; absolutely horrible, like those vampire books horrible [can't even remember the name, lol]

I loved watching Game of Thrones, so I decided to buy the 4-pack.

I'm still on the first book, but it's really quite enthralling.
I found it to be substantially better than the TV series.

I got an email saying StoryBundle is up. Not sure of the quality of the books in the bundle, but since it's pay as you like, it's easy to take the plunge. It's like indie game bundle, but for books.

Will post my reviews as I go through the books.

http://storybundle.com/

In for a fiver, the covers for the bonus books scared me off of getting them. Probably gonna start with Undersea.

Undersea by Geoffrey Morrison

Edit: kinda cool that you can have them sent straight to your kindle as well.

Mifune

Mehmber
Has anyone read The Brothers Karamazov? It'll probably be the book I read after Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy.

Any thoughts on it?

Halfway through this edition, and well what is there left to say. It's considered one of the greatest novels of all time for a very good reason. The characters are vividly drawn, and their many interactions feel incredibly alive, despite the fact that most of the conversations are long discussions about faith or the nature of existence. Can't say too much about the storytelling so far, except that some of my favorite bits are the short tangents that have little to do with the overall narrative. It's a sprawling, rambling, epic tale that seems to tackle just about every one of Dostoevsky's pet themes.

Anyway, it's long and looks imposing, but I think you'll find that once you get into it it's as engrossing as anything else out there. I do recommend that you attack the reading in big chunks, so that you can really immerse yourself in the language.

Jay Sosa

read:

51sh5vYLbtL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Savages/Don Winslow

It almost felt like I got stupider* while reading this, what a horrible writing style.

514XHTP8buL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Adam Copeland on Edge

It basically only describes every match Edge had (to this point) not bad but certainly not what I expected, a bit boring and unpersonal.

Reading:

51eQRIkbqqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Market Forces/Richard Morgan

Premise sounds (and is) a bit stupid but man no one can describe action better than Morgan. Love that dude

*yes, that was intentional

thespot84

I just finished the Wool omnibus myself, and it was definitely one of those books that would keep me up until 4 am on a work night (actually a few times, I'm still tired. Took about a week). Excellent book.

Only one mention of first shift (the prequel) here. Has anyone else read it? I'm itching to pick it up...

EDIT: I was even thinking of making a thread for it, given the news about a possibly movie deal with ridley scott's studio, but maybe I'm just in that post book craze, and there's probably not enough overall traction yet for it

Top Bottom