• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Weber is great. I really liked off Armageddon reef and that series. Sci fi/fantasy stuff is really what I like. The march upcountry series is my favorite series of all time.

I like his Honor Harrington stuff but there's a good deal of suspension of disbelief required. Definitely falls in the space opera category.

Narag

Cards of Grief by Jane Yolen

That was a good read. I think I was more enamored with how the story was presented than the actual story itself. It's written as a series of taped interviews by anthropologists studying an alien culture that presents a very simple story initially that gains depth and complexity as others confide their own roles in it.

Perused Barnes & Noble for a bit tonight while my son was hanging out with friends.

Anyone have an opinion on the following:
James Barclay - Dawnthief
John Barnes - Directive 51 (and the subsequent Daybreak books)
EE Knight - The Dragon Champion (1st book in a series)
Jack Campbell - Dauntless (1st book in the Lost Fleet series)

Perused Barnes & Noble for a bit tonight while my son was hanging out with friends.

Anyone have an opinion on the following:
James Barclay - Dawnthief
John Barnes - Directive 51 (and the subsequent Daybreak books)
EE Knight - The Dragon Champion (1st book in a series)
Jack Campbell - Dauntless (1st book in the Lost Fleet series)

Lost Fleet is good. Characters are pretty bland, including the main protagonist, but the space battles are epic and really well done.

Cards of Grief by Jane Yolen

That was a good read. I think I was more enamored with how the story was presented than the actual story itself. It's written as a series of taped interviews by anthropologists studying an alien culture that presents a very simple story initially that gains depth and complexity as others confide their own roles in it.

Sounds kinda cool. Will check it out.

Bazza

Just finished Met at Arms, who ever it was theat said the watch stories were some of the best Discworld books they were not wrong. The last 2 books have been fantastic and at looks like Soul Music is a Death & Wizards book so it looks like this will be 3 hits in a row.

I'm actually making progress in The Brothers Karamazov so hopefully that continues. About halfway done after two years of reading on and off.

I'm also reading lots of other things. A third of the way through AEgypt by John Crowley. Not quite as fun as his other stuff, usually I like his brand of vague fantasy mist but here it's way too thick for anything to resonate emotionally. Storm of Swords is alright, but I think I'm tiring of ASOIAF (and I haven't even watched the TV show yet). American Psycho is still good stuff; probably my next focused read.

Sleepy

10112885.jpg

I'm about 100 pages in and still don't know what I think about it. The idea is interesting, maybe it's the execution? Although, the multimedia aspects are pretty cool.

erM6aeh.jpg

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson

Really enjoying it, especially the WWII parts. Bobby Shaftoe is the best.

I like Waterhouse (Waterhoose) the best.
The organ scene is amazing.

the crying of lot 49, thomas pynchon.

Have fun! Such a great book.

Kola

interview_with_the_vampire_9.jpg

Half through. Quite a good book actually. There seem to be bunch of sequels, what's the general opinion regarding those? Thanks.

MR4001

0MgG9BX.jpg

Wetlands by Charlotte Roche (translated by Tim Mohr)

Just finished. I liked it - it was fun to read. None of it really shocked me, though, so I can't see why (supposedly) it caused a bit of fuss on publication. The only bit that had me wince (slighty) was
when Helen, the protagonist, used the brake pedal of a hospital bed to rip her healing arsehole open (I've had run-ins with those fucking things...)
. It was refreshing, I guess, in its bluntness regarding the (female) body - no romantic nonsense, that's for sure.

Not being judgmental whatsoever, just genuinely curious - why is Night Film so popular and so many people are reading it in this thread? Has it been featured somewhere? Announced to be a big movie soon? Is the author well known and beloved? Can't say I've ever heard of Marisha Pessl.

Krowley

interview_with_the_vampire_9.jpg

Half through. Quite a good book actually. There seem to be bunch of sequels, what's the general opinion regarding those? Thanks.

All of the first three are pretty great, actually. I may read them again myself soon. It's been a few years since the last time.

The vampire Lestat is really more of a prequel, and is probably better than Interview.

Queen of the Damned brings all the characters from both books (and a few more) together, and finishes things off in a truly epic way. It's very different than the first two, written mostly in 3rd person with a story that shifts between different characters and moves around in time. It fully establishes all the more interesting technical elements of her vampire lore, and feels like a conclusion to the main story.

After that you should stop and pretend the rest don't exist. Straight downhill.

Kola

The vampire Lestat, which is really more of a prequel, is great, probably better than Interview.

Queen of the Damned brings all the characters from both books (and a few more) together, and finishes things off in a truly epic way. It's very different than the first two, written mostly in 3rd person with a story that shifts between different characters and moves around in time. It fully establishes all the more interesting technical elements of her vampire lore, and feels like a conclusion to the main story.

After that you should stop and pretend the rest don't exist. Straight downhill.

Great, thanks for that. This is what I expected after consulting the amazon reviews, which skydive after book 3. I will follow your advice then.

krrrt

Is On the Road worth a read? I noticed my library has a copy of the eBook available to rent.
If you make the extra effort to educate yourself about its place in time and culture, yes. Just don't believe the people calling it life changing etc.

ShaneB

Not being judgmental whatsoever, just genuinely curious - why is Night Film so popular and so many people are reading it in this thread? Has it been featured somewhere? Announced to be a big movie soon? Is the author well known and beloved? Can't say I've ever heard of Marisha Pessl.

I was actually wondering the same thing, but I just wanted to read it because it seemed really fascinating.

Just a hyped up new release with good feedback I think.

It is kinda slow tho, keep waiting for something to happen or be revealed.

Feminist_Theory_bell_hooks.jpg

Good read. Either Mumei or Devolution recommended it. Can't remember.
I read one of her other books. It was called Feminism is For Everybody or something like that. I really enjoyed it and thought it was very informative. I guess I'll be getting this one, too.

Pessl's first novel, Special Topics in Calamity Physics was a big hit, because a) it was really good, and 2) Pessl is smokin' hot. Night Film is only her second, and it's coming something like 5 years after Physics. Her publisher has a huge publicity push behind her - deservedly so, from what I hear. Personally, I love when contemporary lit can get this level of mindshare...

Leeness

Just finishing up The Long Walk by Stephen King.

Great book, quite sad. :/

Though man...if this thing is totally voluntary, then WHY. Haha. I guess for the "whatever you want, you get!" if you win, but man.

Also, STFU Stebbins.

Though man...if this thing is totally voluntary, then WHY. Haha. I guess for the "whatever you want, you get!" if you win, but man.

Also, STFU Stebbins.

My favorite King book.. so good.

Is On the Road worth a read? I noticed my library has a copy of the eBook available to rent.

The writing is stupendous.

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!'"

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
8694389.jpg

Finished Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente.

It's basically a retelling of the story of Koschei Deathless (with a dash of Baba Yaga), set during the early 1900s up to the siege of Leningrad. I've never been a fan of re-tellings of fairytales into full novels, but I am a fan of Koschei and Valente's writing. Sadly, while her prose was still lovely, the story didn't do anything for me. It sits in that half fleshed out world that so many retellings seemed to reside in. I did really enjoy what she did with the dragon and the last ~20% or so of the story, though.

That's how you get deathless, volchitsa. Walk the same tale over and over, until you wear a groove in the world, until even if you vanished, the tale would keep turning, keep playing, like a phonograph, and you'd have to get up again, even with a bullet through your eye, to play your part and say your lines.

Guess a new storybundle is up. Young adult theme this time.

Our Young Adult bundle features titles that were finalists for Best Indie Book, Young Adult Fiction in the Kindle Book Review, finalists for various young adult awards including the 2013 PRISM Contest and 2013 Write Touch Reader's awards and a winner of the Webb Weaver 2010 Writer's Competition.

The initial titles in the bundle are:

Feyland: The Dark Realm by Anthea Sharp
Scourge by David H. Burton
Powerless - Omnibus Edition by Jason Letts - (three books in one volume!)
The Blemished by Sarah Dalton
Closed Hearts by Susan Quinn
If you pay more than the bonus price of just $10, you'll get two more titles:

Feyland: The Bright Court by Anthea Sharp, the followup to Feyland: The Dark Realm
The Vanished by Sarah Dalton, the followup to The Blemished

Bazza

Also, STFU Stebbins.

Remember reading that about 15 years ago loved it, might have to do a reread at some point. I think that it was in a book with another 2 King stories anyone know what they were?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Scourge said:
Grim Doyle has always known his life was not exactly "normal", and things get even more curious when he discovers a set of stones that sweep him and his family to the fantasy, steampunk world of Verne - a place they had escaped from years ago. Now that they've returned, Grim and his siblings hide from the evil Lord Victor and his minions. And while learning about Jinns, Mystics, and the power of absinth they try to discover who is trying to kill them with the deadly Scourge.
Powerless said:
In a world where everyone has a unique, magical power, the only girl without one must find a way to bring her family together. Mira Ipswich couldn't have ever known the startling difference that separates her from the rest of humanity. But when she discovers a strange anomaly in the midst of her seclusion, her parents are forced to reveal she exists in a world where everyone is imbued with a wondrous natural gift. Everyone except herself that is. As this naïve, headstrong girl attempts to understand her inconceivable condition and fit in with peers, she becomes embroiled with the dangerous forces that threaten her homeland.
The Blemished said:
A beautiful world comes at a price...

In a world filled with stunning clones Mina Hart is Blemished. Her genes are worthless and that takes away her rights: her right to an Education, her right to a normal life and her right to have a child.

Mina keeps a dangerous secret which she never thought she could share until she meets Angela on her first day at St Jude's School. But their friendship is soon complicated by Angela’s adoptive brother Daniel. Mina finds herself drawn to his mysterious powers and impulsive nature. Then there is the gorgeous clone Sebastian who Mina is forbidden from even speaking to…
Closed Hearts said:
Eight months ago, Kira Moore revealed to the mindreading world that mindjackers like herself were hidden in their midst. Now she wonders if telling the truth was the right choice after all. As wild rumors spread, a powerful anti-jacker politician capitalizes on mindreaders' fears and strips jackers of their rights. While some jackers flee to Jackertown--a slum rife with jackworkers who trade mind control favors for cash--Kira and her family hide from the readers who fear her and jackers who hate her. But when a jacker Clan member makes Kira's boyfriend Raf collapse in her arms, Kira is forced to save the people she loves by facing the thing she fears most: FBI agent Kestrel and his experimental torture chamber for jackers.
Feyland: The Dark Realm said:
WHEN A GAME...

Feyland is the most immersive computer game ever designed, and Jennet Carter is the first to play the prototype. But she doesn't suspect the virtual world is close enough to touch -- or that she'll be battling for her life against the Dark Queen of the faeries.

TURNS REAL...

Tam Linn is the perfect hero -- in-game. Too bad the rest of his life is seriously flawed. The last thing he needs is rich-girl Jennet prying into his secrets, insisting he's the only one who can help her.

WINNING IS EVERYTHING...

Together, Jennet and Tam enter the Dark Realm of Feyland, only to discover that the entire human world is in danger. Pushed to the limit of their abilities, they must defeat the Dark Queen... before it's too late.
I enjoy reading these blurbs way too much.

Leeness

My favorite King book.. so good.

It was pretty great. I also really felt it everytime anyone talked about how much their feet hurt, or how far they'd gone (like 250 miles!). Lawd.

Remember reading that about 15 years ago loved it, might have to do a reread at some point. I think that it was in a book with another 2 King stories anyone know what they were?

I don't know, mine was audiobook (can't read on transit, only listen) and it looked like it was its own book, and it was a "Richard Bachman" book.

Next up, Dovekeepers (gotta wait for my audible credit for my next King book, which will be Misery).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom