• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Make sure to visit this month's GAF Book Club thread owned and operated by everyone's favorite moderator, Cyan! The book for September/October is ... "If on a winter's night a traveler" by Italo Calvino

If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Non-western literature
Novels with great world building

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature
Post-apocalpytic Books
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm reading two of Herman Melville's classics, "Benito Cereno" and then "Bartleby the Scrivener." BC is kinda tough to read. Melville really describes everything in detail. But I'm enjoying it more right now(a little more than half way).

Jarlaxle

9780765313430.jpg

I just started this after finishing An Autumn War. Each book in this series actually gets better than the last one. I very much enjoyed An Autumn War and I'm wondering how this all ends up.
It doesn't feel like it's going to be a happy ending. The end of An Autumn War was so tragic and actually a little surprising.

Bazza

Half way through The Algebraist, the last of Bank's SciFi books i haven't read. gonna be a little sad when i finish it.

Blitzzz

Just finished:

The Bat by Jo Nesbø

Was decent. Writing isn't spectacular and there was filler here and there but the characters and plot were interesting enough.

Still working my way through Shift Omnibus audiobook. It's been pretty disappointing compared to Wool so far.

Not sure what to read next. Maybe Consider Phlebas

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Just finished The Twelve by Justin Cronin, which I loved.

Now reading Use of Weapons by Ian M. Banks, and The Forever War by Joe Halderman on the kindle.

Muffdraul

8VlHcXU.jpg

30 years ago, I read the whole Tripods trilogy. Soon after that I found out the author followed it up with another trilogy, i.e. The Sword of the Spirits. I started the first book back then, but after two or three chapters I put it down, bored. All these years later I decided to go back and give it another try, which I recently did. It was OK, but nowhere near as good as I remember the Tripods trilogy being... so I've decided to go back and re-read it. Grabbing 1st ed. hardcovers on ebay.

EDIT: Hmmm, I think I did a very poor job of getting across what I meant to say. What I meant:

1980: I read John Christoper's Tripods trilogy, loved it very much
1980: I tried to read his Sword of Spirits trilogy, but very quickly aborted, just wasn't interested

early July 2013: I give Sword/Spirits another go, read the whole trilogy, and think its OK, nowhere near as good as Tripods
early August 2013: I start to re-read the Tripods trilogy, and a few chapters in am firmly convinced it's far superior to Sword/Spirits.

thomaser

51SNE0eiv%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Still Roberto Bolaño's 2666. On the fifth and final part, which finally seems to shed some light on the mysterious author everybody is looking for in the first part. I've been very satisfied with the book so far, but wonder how it can be ended with all the loose threads from the first four parts.

PS... am I the only one who didn't know that a new Thomas Pynchon book is released soon? It's called Bleeding Edge. I had no idea.

golems_eye.jpg

This will be my third reading.

Yesssss. Not ashamed to admit I named one of my old cats Bartimaeus. I love this series.

Also, Mackenzie 92 already pointed out two of the Kindle daily deals - throwing in my recommendation for House of the Scorpion. It's a fantastic YA book. Nancy Farmer is an excellent author; The Ear, The Eye, and the Arm was one of my favorite books growing up.

I'm about 51% through the Shift Omnibus. One of the things I liked about Wool was the mystery surrounding why the silos exist and how they came to be; now that's been answered, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Blitzzz

I'm about 51% through the Shift Omnibus. One of the things I liked about Wool was the mystery surrounding why the silos exist and how they came to be; now that's been answered, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

This is my problem so far with Shift too... and also the characters. I think it would have been cooler if it was revealed to us by the Wool cast piecing it together

Since S&L is reading this as a group read and it's free from my library, I figure I'll join in.

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold

Wiktor

Finished
The_Maze_Runner_cover.png

It started slow, but then about 30% in the story shifted into higher gear. Pretty damn great read.
I still think it was too short, the whole Maze situation was ripe for longer conflict, more bickering in the team etc, but I guess fantasy Lord of the flies isn't what YA market is now after.

Started reading
hollow-city.jpg

Great premise. I think it's the first novel I've read that's told from POV of somebody with genuine schizophrenia..

NekoFever

Probably the most beautifully-written book I've ever read. It's even more impressive when you consider how gruesome and terrible the subject matter is.

Yeah, I love the writing. Once I got over the urge to look up every obscure, archaic word or type of desert foliage and just let the prose wash over me and give me a flavour of the world, I started to love it.

30 years ago, I read the whole Tripods trilogy. Soon after that I found out he followed it up with another trilogy, i.e. The Sword of the Spirits. I started the first book, but after two or three chapters I put it down, bored. All these years later I decided to go back and read that trilogy. I recently did. It was OK, but nowhere near as good as I remember the Tripods trilogy being... so I've decided to go back and re-read it. Grabbing 1st ed. hardcovers on ebay.

Yep, the bursting of childhood bubbles. I remember a teacher reading us Dahl's Chocolate Factory sequel, Great Glass Elevator back in the day and loving it. 30+ years later, I read it to one of my kids. What an UTTER piece of garbage. Doh!

30 years ago, I read the whole Tripods trilogy. Soon after that I found out he followed it up with another trilogy, i.e. The Sword of the Spirits. I started the first book, but after two or three chapters I put it down, bored. All these years later I decided to go back and read that trilogy. I recently did. It was OK, but nowhere near as good as I remember the Tripods trilogy being... so I've decided to go back and re-read it. Grabbing 1st ed. hardcovers on ebay.

I have such rich memories of reading this in late elementary school. It really affected me at the time, along with the Moomin books from Tove Jansson, and the Phantom Toolboth by Norton Juster. Looking forward to having my daughter read them, she's just about to start fourth grade.

Iceman

Just finished A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller. From 2009; the guy who wrote Blue Like Jazz. I was gifted the book from a friend how moved far away and thought that it was perfect for me - an aspiring screenwriter who is struggling with the decision to risk his career to follow his dream. It definitely makes the case for following the dream and risking it all. It attempts to apply the lessons of basic film story crafting to life - to living a good story. It's mostly successful, with the author courageously exposing his own experiments at applying these lessons, as he learned them, and attempting to life a more active life. It's emotional, frequently poignant, funny at times and saves a lot of the gut-punching emotional heft towards the end, reciting scenes/vignettes of the passing of a woman who lived a good story - and how it affected the people around her - and even (contextually) referencing a holocaust survivor's writings on the living with a purpose.

I found myself drawn into to his own personal story by several (I thought) unique, quirky references that I understood/shared with only a few other people in this world. It's written from christian's point of view, again drawing me into his experience, however it's never really a focus of the book; It's certainly not a theological discourse - christians looking to be filled in that way will be left wanting. But for an injection of urgency this book can stir things up inside you - maybe stuff that you've been trying to avoid/ignore. Read at your own peril. I thought it was an invaluable read for me, at this time in my life. And it may be for you.

Ashes

Banned
Neil Gaiman is overrated.

Anyways, reading:

books

Hoping to read 8 to 10 books this month. No idea how I will fare.

Muffdraul

Yep, the bursting of childhood bubbles. I remember a teacher reading us Dahl's Chocolate Factory sequel, Great Glass Elevator back in the day and loving it. 30+ years later, I read it to one of my kids. What an UTTER piece of garbage. Doh!

My bad, my post was really unclear... I loved Tripods then and I'm still loving it now! I found Sword of the Spirits to be fairly meh, but I just read it last month for the first time.

And I'd be shocked if I thought Glass Elevator was "utter garbage" today on a re-read. I read that about 30 years ago too and still remember lots about it... the Vermicious Knids spelling "SCRAM," Wonka going "'What if?!' 'What if?!' What if my beard were made of green spinach?"

moojito

200px-Hyperion_cover.jpg

Well, well, well. I saw a picture up there ^^^ of a book written by Dan Simmons and thought "I'm sure I've seen that name before", then I looked up the pic for this book. Only just started it, expecting great things.

TheSirensofTitan(1959).jpg

Finished Slaughterhouse Five the other day and found this listed for $1.99 on my kindle so naturally I couldn't pass that up.,

Plus several of my friends were very keen on the book so why not.

Pau

Neil Gaiman is overrated.

Anyways, reading:

books

Hoping to read 8 to 10 books this month. No idea how I will fare.
How are you liking Wide Sargasso Sea? I couldn't stand Jane Eyre so I don't know if I want to read something that's a prequel, but as I understand it, it's supposed to subvert a lot of its tropes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom