• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2011)

thomaser

I have recently read these:

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (for school). I read it a couple of years ago, and didn't really enjoy it. But I went into it with the wrong mindset - I believed she wrote "serious" books. How wrong I was. She is all about irony, and knowing that, this second reading was much more interesting.

Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Hawthorne (for school). An allegorical short story set in the puritan New England, in the late 17th century, about a man losing his faith. Dark, unsettling stuff, heavy on unsubtle symbolism.

When We Dead Awaken by Henrik Ibsen. I have read his plays chronologically in between other books during the last 3-4 years, and this was the last one. Another text heavy on symbolism. Now, I only have left to read his poems before I can finally put the huge Complete Works aside.

Now, reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (for school). Like with Sense and Sensibility, this is the second time I read it. But unlike S&S, I loved WH the first time. Those dark moors and bitter people are strangely alluring!

Yasser

Salvor.Hardin said:
http://anokatony.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/road1.jpg[IMG]

Just finished this bad boy the other day. I'm particularly fond of the Beat era but regardless I think this book is fantastic. Some really memorable characters, interesting period colloquialisms and just a blast in general in how the story rises and dips and turns.
[/QUOTE]
did you know that kerouac tried sucking ginsberg's dick but didn't like it, despite enjoying occasional blowjobs from ginsberg?

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Aurelius said:
qQrSQjxGJAyYHuY.jpg

Finally reached the final book.

Get ready to read the most divisive ending to the most amazing series evar <3
Don't follow Stephen's advice, and just read on through. You'll see what I mean.

ymmv

Banned
eznark said:
Finally someone else on this board with taste! I read through the series because they were simple reads and the action was pretty good. The writing was shit, the characterizations were wooden and the resolution at the end is probably the worst thing that has ever been written by anyone, ever.

It's like being at the Algonquin round table and hearing Dorothy Sayers skewer pompous writers with wit dripped in acid. Do go on!

Narag

eznark said:
Finally someone else on this board with taste! I read through the series because they were simple reads and the action was pretty good. The writing was shit, the characterizations were wooden and the resolution at the end is probably the worst thing that has ever been written by anyone, ever.

That said, it's better than Peter Brett.

Just starting it myself and not really enjoying it. Everything screams first novel and I fear it'll be a letdown since I read Best Served Cold first.

Reading "The Satanic Verses" By Salman Rushdie. All of his books are so different yet so similar. Comparing it to Midnights Children or The Enchantress of Florence is both easy and hard, but i would certainly recommend them for people who like books that have it all.

eznark

Banned
ymmv said:
It's like being at the Algonquin round table and hearing Dorothy Sayers skewer pompous writers with wit dripped in acid. Do go on!

I refuse to believe the Abercrombie defense force is this highbrow.

mjc

The only thing that really bugged me about the First Law Trilogy is the way
Glokta
is written. Almost every damn chapter he has involves him complaining about how something in his body hurts. It got REALLY annoying by the third book to the point where I wanted to have him put out of his misery. WE GET IT.

Dresden

Narag said:
Just starting it myself and not really enjoying it. Everything screams first novel and I fear it'll be a letdown since I read Best Served Cold first.
Another (potential) member in the "Best Served Cold is better" club?

Wellington said:
41Bikue987L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Good read. I'm surprised since I am not huge on allegory.

Gonna get more into Coelho.

One of my absolute favorite books. I would recommend reading Veronika Decides to Die. I picked up The Witch a couple of months ago and really wasn't feeling it at all, so I put it down.

I recently just started reading:
9780679775430.jpg

I've been having a hard time putting it down.

I usually read 3-5 books a month but I haven't been able to get much reading done over the past couple of weeks which has bugged me.

Just started on this:

RingworldThrone(Niven).jpg

coldvein

Banned
proud to announce that i finally made it through the blade itself. i am almost tempted to start on the second book, because i feel like the story is actually just starting to get going...but ehhhhh. maybe i'll wait a while.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I got Best Served Cold for $3 in a Kindle sale. Haven't started it yet though and have never read Abercrombie before. He is popular in GAF reading threads though.

traveler

Not Wario
Just finished

Cloud_atlas.jpg

and made a thread. I saw if on a winter's night... mentioned earlier and I'm pretty sure it had some influence on Atlas or at least I remember some interview that stated as much.

Now working on

book-washington-a-life.jpg
Sacks-Yellow-Red-2.jpg

traveler

Not Wario
Karakand said:
Can't wait for the millions of new Cloud Atlas readers when the Brothers Wachowski/Bay film adaptation comes out!

What?! They're making a movie out of Cloud Atlas? That seems incredibly difficult to me. And is that the Bay I think it is? :(

Pikelet

SafeinSound said:
I recently just started reading:
9780679775430.jpg

I've been having a hard time putting it down.

I had the exact same experience. I always wanted to know what happened next, despite there being little coherence or easily-graspable explanations for the events as they unfolded. weirdly compelling.

ramyeon

Pikelet said:
I had the exact same experience. I always wanted to know what happened next, despite there being little coherence or easily-graspable explanations for the events as they unfolded. weirdly compelling.
I'm not the fastest reader around, I tend to take it slowly but despite the length of this book I finished it within a few days. Once I picked it up it was almost impossible to put down. Murakami's style gets me every time like no other author.

Pikelet said:

One amazon review says this is due to the fact that the American publishers put out an abridged version of the book with something like 100 pages missing from the text and with a different ending. The description of the book sounds really interesting, but I wouldn't want an abridged version.

Top Bottom