• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2013)

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Hesse's Narcissus and Goldmund. I am nearly finished and although I did not enjoy the first part of the book that takes place in the cloister, once Goldmund gets out on his own it is much more interesting to read. Profound insights galore, maybe more so than any of Hesse's other novels.

Nezumi

Finished book four of the Dresden Files: Summer Knight. I liked it a lot and Murphy actually redeemed herself! Dresden's attitude towards women is still often really infuriating but I like him a lot overall.

I told you she would get better ;) But man, you really race through this books.

Just finished:

350.jpg

My first Heinlein novel. It was pretty great, liked the overall philosophy and loved the Jubal Harshaw character which I am told features in other Heinlein books as well.

About to start:

16690.jpg

I guess when I'm done with these and Starship Troopers, I've read his best stuff?

Balphon

One chapter of that book was enough for me to swear off Mieville forever. I'd read and enjoyed a bunch of his books before but somehow that chapter made me retroactively dislike most everything he's done and I'm not sure why. Kind of a "why did I EVER like this guy?" moment for me. Strange.

I loved The City & the City, and I initially liked Embassytown quite a bit too. But I found I liked it less and less as it went on, and the last 1/3 was particularly trying.

I've only read The City & the City and 2/3 of Embassytown, but I can see how one's opinion of Mieville could sour quickly. There are things about his writing I don't much care for, such as the relatively poor characterization and the constant sense that he's going out of his way to demonstrate how much smarter he is than I. Still, I find myself enjoying the worlds he sets up enough that I keep going.

Arment

Foundation and Empire

Kind of hard to enjoy the books because of the ever changing cast but beyond that not a bad series so far.

Salsa

finished Never Let Me Go and I thought it was fantastic, but im pretty sure im gonna be depressed for a week now

berg ark

You guys read so god damn fast! I set out with the goal of 3 books a month. This month I haven't even finished my first book! Which by the way is:

9789174292312_large

Idiot by Dostoevsky.

I need to step my game up. :(

Nymerio

I told you she would get better ;) But man, you really race through this books.

Yeah, I'm really digging the Dresden Files. I just started the fifth book yesterday and Murphy and Dresden really changed for the better. They actually talk to each other. I was also really intrigued by the end of Summer Knight who Rashid/The Gatekeeper is. He seems pretty powerful if even Mab knows him and he seems to share some of Dresdens views concerning the Council.

ymmv

Banned
Just finished:

350.jpg

My first Heinlein novel. It was pretty great, liked the overall philosophy and loved the Jubal Harshaw character which I am told features in other Heinlein books as well.

About to start:

16690.jpg

I guess when I'm done with these and Starship Troopers, I've read his best stuff?

I read Glory Road and The Door Into Summer a very long time ago, I remember liking them quite a bit.

Read The Door into Summer .. well .. this summer. And its very good. One of the more enjoyable time travel books I've read.

Foundation and Empire

Kind of hard to enjoy the books because of the ever changing cast but beyond that not a bad series so far.

I think the Foundation series just gets better and better with each book. It starts as a hardcore political study to actually being about space travel and sci-fi ideas. Plus with each book he fleshes out his characters a little more and makes the unvierse a little more interesting.

Bazza

Finally got round to finishing Against a dark background, doesnt exactly have a traditional happy ending which is a shame, But the lazy gun is probably my favourite weapon in anything I have read or seen, I just wish it was featured a little more.

I enjoyed the book overall now I have to decide what to read next now, tempted to start the culture books but may look for a crime thriller or fantasy book to break up the genres a bit first.

ShaneB

Rounding the bend with Leviathan Wakes. 82% done. Really love it so far, and pretty much decided that I'll read Calban's War next. When I'm blazing through a longer book this fast, I know I'm hooked and really enjoying it.

Really found one bit silly though, just the description....
Vomit Zombies. Really?! I guess it was pretty blunt in getting across a description, but man, it just sounded so silly hearing the characters say it, ah well :p

DagsJT

Finished:

American-Assassin.jpg

I gave it 4/5 stars, really enjoyed it. Mitch Rapp is a little cheesy at times but the characters and story were quite interesting. I'll likely read some more Rapp stories.

Now reading:

944073.jpg

Only 5% in but the humour and characters are pretty great so far.

Swan Song still showing as full price on both Amazon US and UK.

pa22word

Started Neuromancer the other day, and man is this a great one or what? Also I heard from a co-worker that this is a series. Are the other books worth checking out?

Started Neuromancer the other day, and man is this a great one or what? Also I heard from a co-worker that this is a series. Are the other books worth checking out?
I would read Burning Chrome, its an excellent collection of short stories one of which ties directly into Neuromancer. I wasn't a fan of the two sequels to Neuromancer, (or anything else Gibson has written actually).

gdt

God I'm loving Before They Are Hanged

Seeing these separate and vastly different characters come together and start to form bonds is magnificent.

Currently reading Tom Reiss' The Black Count

2019620394.gif

which is pretty amazing, part adventure/tragedy, part detective story, and all true.

I've been a bit overindulged on fantasy lately having read (and loved) all 10 Malazans, then the Mistborn Trilogy.
So I've read some Space Opera: i.e. Peter Hamilton's Great North Road, and Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space, both of which were satisfying but neither blew me away (that MUST read everything by this author feeling)

TCRS

Banned
I'm stuck on The Wise Man's Fear. I don't remember The Name of the Wind having such an annoying style.

seriously, he keeps repeating himself in every chapter. oh poor kvothe, so poor, oh poor kvothe, only four shirts, no money, but he so talented! only fifteen but better than everyone. yeah, we get it. no need to repeat it in every chapter at every opportunity. but that's exactly what he does and I'm getting annoyed by it. The underlying story is not that bad, but the style is killing it for me.

And I have only read a fifth of it so far...

Fjordson

God I'm loving Before They Are Hanged

Seeing these separate and vastly different characters come together and start to form bonds is magnificent.
My man. Loved that trilogy so much.

I'm still reading Poor Man's Fight by Elliott Kay. One of the best indie purchases I've ever made on my Kindle. One point of view is from a star system's Navy, top notch military sci-fi. The other point of view is a former mechanic on a luxury cruise ship that's joined on with a crew of space pirates. Sounds basic, but it's great.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I finished reading Divergent earlier this week. I really enjoyed it. If anyone else has a mild interest in young adult dystopian fiction or liked The Hunger Games, I'd definitely recommend it.

Before I started on the follow up (Insurgent), I decided to mix things up a bit and jump straight into Prey by Michael Crichton. Which I managed to finish about ten minutes ago.

a56f0563-39af-4951-ae1d-9fbc7919e042_zpsb2b4a0f5.jpg

I'd read it originally when it was first released but enough time had transpired since for me to read it again. Great novel. The prologue is a little unnecessary but I appreciate the fact that Crichton built a lot of extra background detail into the story and inserted that onto the end narrative for any readers that still had questions they wanted answered.

If anyone has an interest in artificial intelligence or nano technology, it's well worth a read.

Seanspeed

Banned
Loved Ship of Fools. It was pretty minimally sci-fi (in that there wasn't much exploration or revelation of the sci-fi concepts in the book) but it was still great. And I'm definitely in the mood for more modern sci-fi.

%7B5B42EFE1-DD45-400A-AC63-DAC186583808%7DImg100.jpg

So thinking of going with this? Opinions?

I thought it was great. The author is an actual astronomer and goes out of his way to make the ideas in the book sound very plausible.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
So thinking of going with this? Opinions?

I really didn't enjoy it. However I'm incredibly particular when it comes to my hard sci-fi. It seems to review well enough, so it might be worth giving it a go.

I've since run out of Peter Hamilton novels to read so I'm tempted to give the follow up a try.

Edit: Ignore this...I had Revelation Space confused with another novel. I concur with Seanspeed's recommendation below

Seanspeed

Banned
I really didn't enjoy it. However I'm incredibly particular when it comes to my hard sci-fi. It seems to review well enough, so it might be worth giving it a go.

I've since run out of Peter Hamilton novels to read so I'm tempted to give the follow up a try.

Not sure what you didn't like about it, but I'm guessing if you didn't like the first one, you wont like the next.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm stuck on The Wise Man's Fear. I don't remember The Name of the Wind having such an annoying style.

seriously, he keeps repeating himself in every chapter. oh poor kvothe, so poor, oh poor kvothe, only four shirts, no money, but he so talented! only fifteen but better than everyone. yeah, we get it. no need to repeat it in every chapter at every opportunity. but that's exactly what he does and I'm getting annoyed by it. The underlying story is not that bad, but the style is killing it for me.

And I have only read a fifth of it so far...

I read through both books back to back but I did get pretty sick of how absolutely perfect he is all the time. Not interested in the next one at all.

IIRC the point where I really knew there would be no suspense for me because he's a bit too perfect was in the first book when
he is playing at the bar for his pipes, the other guy pops a string on his guitar, and he just goes on to play super perfect anyway
. After that it was pretty much repetition on the same theme IMO.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure what you didn't like about it, but I'm guessing if you didn't like the first one, you wont like the next.

I just read plot synopsis on the Wiki entry and I had the story mixed up with A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge. I'm stupid, Revelation Space was great.

Seanspeed

Banned
I wouldn't mind all the Kvothe-is-so-epically-awesome stuff if more happened with the story in the 2nd book. Yes, things happened, but the plot didn't really move forward much. Being a trilogy, there's going to be an awful lot to explain in the last book. I know I complain about that a lot when talking about this series, but it really stands out for me and its a shame cuz I like everything else a lot. The writing especially.

Edit: I just read plot synopsis on the Wiki entry and I had the story mixed up with A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge. I'm stupid, Revelation Space was great.
That would explain it!

After reading this:

My Boyfriend Merlin by Priya Ardis
(skippable average YA fiction about a modern Merlin the Magician)

I realized I haven't read any Arthurian fiction (open to recommendations!). I downloaded a sample of this for my kindle:

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

It was pretty good, but I think the sample is bugged because even though it's marked as a sample, I think it's the entire book! I'm so far 15% into it and the progress bar thing looks like the entire book. Has anyone had this happen before?

KidDork

johndies_zps6f8e559b.jpg

Just finished this.

A book I was really unsure about when I started but soon fell in love with by the end. Reminiscent of The Dresden Files but far more bugfuck. A narrative like a Keystone Cops car chase that always seems on the verge of self destruction.

Not sure what to start next. I have Leviathan Wakes behind me, fresh from its Amazon box. Perhaps that.

Fjordson

Damn, you're really tearing through that series Mak. How are the sequels holding up?

I tried to read the first Foundation when I was younger, but I couldn't quite wrap my head around it. I remember the scale being pretty epic as far as the story goes. Need to give it another try someday.

Damn, you're really tearing through that series Mak. How are the sequels holding up?

Honestly, I like the sequels way more than the main series. Way more hard sci-fi and interesting concepts. And better character development. I don't know how to describe it but its more of a "story" than the books of the trilogy. Whereas the main Foundation trilogy almost reads like a text book telling how it was. It's very cold in a way. Sorry, like I said I don't know how to describe it but all I can say is I think the best part of the trilogy is that they set up the sequels.

gdt

Honestly, I like the sequels way more than the main series. Way more hard sci-fi and interesting concepts. And better character development. I don't know how to describe it but its more of a "story" than the books of the trilogy. Whereas the main Foundation trilogy almost reads like a text book telling how it was. It's very cold in a way. Sorry, like I said I don't know how to describe it but all I can say is I think the best part of the trilogy is that they set up the sequels.

The sequels have a bit more heart to them due to it being one story with a set of characters. I personally love F and E...especially the ending.

Nezumi

So, finished:

60211.jpg

I liked it though the lack of information and details is somewhat confusing at times. At some points I just wished that I had more hints as to how things look like. Will keep reading the series though.

But first I think I catch up on some classics, so next up is:

4671.jpg

Bernard Cornwell’s Warlord Chronicles

1. The Winter King

TheWinterKing.jpg

2. Enemy of God

BernardCornwell_EnemyOfGod.jpg

3. Excalibur

BernardCornwell_Excalibur.jpg

All are written from an as accurate as possible historical perspective and are all the better for it

Hmm these seem interesting. Added it to my wishlist. Question though - upon further review of Cornwell, it seems like he has series covering different time periods. Is there a suggested reading order for his books/series?

I have just finished this book set in 1950s England about a disabled boy who is bed-ridden for much of the book:
owOxlgv.jpg

It wasn't a bad book, but I preferred the first half of the book compared with the second-half as I felt that the protagonist becomes increasingly unlikeable as he gets older. There is a sequel to the book called Cedilla but I am not going to read it straight away.

Just picked this up to try. I have never read a western before but I remember being told when it first came out how good it was:
dXL3VW5.png

Salsa

first thoughts on Game of Thrones (read 10 percent): the series is truly a great adaptation.

I know ive read little but so far everything portrayed in the book was well represented in the series (of wich ive seen just the first season)

johndies_zps6f8e559b.jpg

Just finished this.

Not sure what to start next.

I read the sequel right away and didnt regret it. It's better.

Bernard Cornwell’s Warlord Chronicles
All are written from an as accurate as possible historical perspective and are all the better for it

Wait a minute. King Arthur was a real historical person? All this time, I thought he was just a made up character like Hercules or the Wizard of Oz. So was there really a Merlin the Magician?

Top Bottom