• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2014)

ivajz

About a quarter of the way into this.
the-count-of-monte-cristo.jpg

Then I figure I'd move into this, once I'm done.
CompleteMalazan_final_web.jpg

That should take me the rest of the year.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
To respond to this from the last thread... Cyan said "This is pretty much the raison d'etre of the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. Cardboard-thin characters and a straightforward plot, but the space battles are well done. The first book in the series is Dauntless." I guess that could apply

Ah, I must've missed that post. I'll have to look into that series. Thanks!

Finished Threshold by Caitlin R. Kiernan. I loved it even more than Silk. Such amazing writing. The characters were all so well done. I found the albino monster hunter Dancy Flammarion incredibly interesting, so I was happy to discover there's a new collection of Dancy shorts coming out at the end of the month (the old one is out of print and going for insane prices). I already have the new edition pre-ordered, and bought the rest of Kiernan's books, including her recent work as Kathleen Tierney. I intend to read them all this year, but I want to move on to some other stuff first.

Up next is:

nBYBIGf.jpg

I've owned this for a few months (both the pictured edition on my Kindle, and the original hardcover on my shelf). It's one of the books I've always been interested in, but never got around to reading. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Your post just reminded me that I wanted to read this. I think Ken Levine said that this was a big influence on Bioshock Infinite.

I could see that. Fascinating book, really. I liked both the World's Fair and HH Holmes narratives. Looking forward to the film with DiCaprio as Holmes.

Anyway, this is more like a two-month update, but since last time:

9172426.jpg

This is a Novel with a capital N. I'm glad I let this sink in for a while. Sprawling, intimate, Dickensian, modern, compelling, frustrating, unforgettable. It's a lot of things and I don't pretend to have wrapped my head around it completely--especially its final chapter or two--but it's easily the novel that has stuck with me most last year.

1388673115000-978-0-8129-8425-5.jpg

Runner-up. Or possibly winner. George Saunders is a genius (duh).

Where'd You Go Bernadette omg so good. I'm sure I missed the party for this in 2012 but if you haven't read it and like hilarious, gently satirical but still heartfelt mixed-media fiction from former Arrested Development writers then what are you waiting for.

11/22/63 This is the first King novel I've read in ages (last one was... The Green Mile? Maybe?) but I read nearly all his earlier works in junior / high school. From what I've read this is one of his better ones. Dead Zone-esque. Admittedly I think i liked the first half better then the Oswald-centric second half, but it also doesn't feel like he scrambled for an ending quite as much as his long-form stories tend to do. Maybe a little. Nice bit of sci-fi with just enough touches of horror from him.

Gone Girl Yeah this was nutty. Read it in a week or so, a compulsive (if trashy, not that I'm complaining) page-turner in the second half. This does feel like Gillian Flynn scrambled for an ending, though. Should be interesting to see how Fincher's film works out.

TTG

Finished The Urth of The New Sun the other day:

I would not recommend it unless you happen to be a huge fan of The Book of The New Sun, as I am. Actually, it's irrelevant to endorse it or not to the uninitiated since under no circumstances would it work as a standalone, so let me rephrase: it pales in comparison to the original works, its redeeming qualities are expounding on the omnipresent character that never actually makes an appearance earlier in the series and the forces driving him/it. The first half or so of the book actually works better than the latter, which goes off the rails.

Anyway, moved on to this:

It's yet another bit of history I know almost nothing about, had to pick it up on the premise alone. It's a bit slow in the first 70 pages, but I'm fascinated so far.

IMO the Dresden books didn't take off for me until Summer Knight, so book 4.

Maybe it was you (or someone else with the same feeling) that mentioned this is my request thread way back when. I think I stopped at book three. Just couldn't get the author self-insert fanfic feeling out of my head. I do enjoy his other stuff, though. It's fun fantasy junk food.

Your post just reminded me that I wanted to read this. I think Ken Levine said that this was a big influence on Bioshock Infinite.

Haven't played BI but there's an under current of flavor that could definitely have been an influence. It was an interesting age to be sure. :D

I could see that. Fascinating book, really. I liked both the World's Fair and HH Holmes narratives. Looking forward to the film with DiCaprio as Holmes.

Never knew there was going to be a movie. Interesting. Caprio has the right eyes, but can he grow the proper 'stache? :)

If you like this kind of historical/character-ful book, I'd recommend Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and John Berendt's latest work (that I recently read), The City of Falling Angels.

Both follow interesting crimes in a rich, historical setting (murder in the Deep South and a mysterious fire in Venice) and have the best cast (all real people he interviewed).

ymmv

Banned
Looks intriguing. What's it about?

51iLpdD3PwL.jpg

Amazon.com Review
An Amazon Best Book of the Month, April 2013: Imaginative and meticulously researched, this enchanting debut novel from Helene Wecker is, in reality, an historical fiction. Set primarily in turn-of-the-century Manhattan, it deliberately details the immigrant experience--the wonders and hardships of being in a new country and the discoveries, triumphs, and failures that follow--while bringing the city itself to life with such passion that New York of yore seems like a magical land. Beyond reality, however, The Golem and the Jinni, as the title implies, is also a fantastic work of fantasy. The Golem is an insatiably curious clay "woman" that was created to seem human while serving only her husband; the Jinni is a magical "man" whose fascination with mortals has left him nearly stripped of his own nature and forced to live as one. These mythical characters from otherwise clashing cultures not only coexist, but come to rely upon one another in order to exist at all. In turn, their story finds us not only rooting for them to find peace and happiness, but gaining a better understanding of our own human nature in the process. --Robin A. Rothman

From Booklist
First novelist Wecker has blended not only genres but also elements of Jewish and Arab folklore and mythology in this intriguing historical fantasy. What happens when a golem, a Polish woman made of clay, recently marooned in late-nineteenth-century New York, joins forces with jinni, a creature made of fire, accidently released by a Syrian tinsmith in lower Manhattan? The premise is so fresh that it is anyone’s guess, and Wecker does not disappoint as she keeps the surprises coming in this unusual story of the intersection of two magical beings and their joint impact on their parochial immigrant communities. While stolid Chava and fiery Ahmed struggle to cope with their individual challenges and desires, they must together overcome philosophical, spiritual, and physical hurdles to ward off an insidious demonic threat. A mystical and highly original stroll through the sidewalks of New York. --Margaret Flanagan

I got the book from a recent daily Kindle Deals offer and I'm at the halfway point. It's a good read with an original premise. It's a bit light on plot, the tone is lightly philosophical at times, but it's a good solid read so far.

Anyway, this is more like a two-month update, but since last time:

9172426.jpg

This is a Novel with a capital N. I'm glad I let this sink in for a while. Sprawling, intimate, Dickensian, modern, compelling, frustrating, unforgettable. It's a lot of things and I don't pretend to have wrapped my head around it completely--especially its final chapter or two--but it's easily the novel that has stuck with me most last year.

I started reading this during the weekend. So far, so good, but I'm afraid of the mid-book slog that everyone talks about. I hope it doesn't take me 2 months to get through it b/c I have so many other books I want to read.

Finished some light reading this weekend:

Rocket Girl #1 by Brandon Montclare
Really liked the artwork. So far, so good. I'm thinking of buying the rest of the issues in digital form. I'm really tired of having to find storage for all my books/comics.

Mommy Man: How I Went from Mild-Mannered Geek to Gay Superdad by Jerry Mahoney
This was a quick, entertaining read. Less about being a dad and more about coming out of the closet, hurdles of adopting when gay, and awkward moments on first dates.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Birthday_hc_m.jpg

Ki'O society is divided into two halves or moieties, called (for ancient religious reasons) the Morning and the Evening. You belong to your mother's moiety, and you can't have sex with anybody of your moiety.

Marriage on O is a foursome, the sedoretu — a man and a woman from the Morning moiety and a man and a woman from the Evening moiety. You're expected to have sex with both your spouses of the other moiety, and not to have sex with your spouse of your own moiety. So each sedoretu has two expected heterosexual relationships, two expected homosexual relationships, and two forbidden heterosexual relationships.

The expected relationships within each sedoretu are:
The Morning woman and the Evening man (the "Morning marriage")
The Evening woman and the Morning man (the "Evening marriage")
The Morning woman and the Evening woman (the "Day marriage")
The Morning man and the Evening man (the "Night marriage")

The forbidden relationships are between the Morning woman and the Morning man, and between the Evening woman and the Evening man, and they aren't called anything, except sacrilege.

Says it all, really.

survivor

Banned
Finished reading Beowulf. Pretty fun poem, I'm not used to this style of storytelling so it was a unique experience. Gonna have to see if there are other books like this, I'm thinking of reading Tolkien's The Fall of Arthur some day in the future.
3J9THgr.jpg

Also started reading Blindness.

thomaser

Mostly short stories lately. Right now, "Big Two Hearted River" by Hemingway. It's just about a guy fishing in a river, but it's so gooood. His descriptions are so precise that I feel like I know all about fishing now.

iiicon

I noticed this weekend that the new Jeff Vandermeer book is coming out in Canada next Tuesday rather than tomorrow like it is in the States (boo!), so I bought and started Jesse Ball's latest, Silence Once Begun.

It's interesting so far.

Shengar

Finished with Land Leviathan. It was better than The Warlord of the Air in some regard, mainly on how Moorcock handled Bastable's inner conflict, and the book's resolution which feels more complete than the first book ever was. It still too short, and could benefit from extra pages but not as much as the first book whereas it need 100 pages, Land Leviathan could benefit from extra 50 pages. Still it's a good read, and very intriguing to see Moorcock's take on racism.

Now onto the third
16156344.jpg

tmarques

Just finished

UNE_FILLE_DVE__LA_FAUSSE_MAITRESSE__1330920573P.jpg

and started

63727_2651576.jpg

Is Balzac the greatest writer in the history of mankind? I stopped reading Balzac about a year ago until my French was good enough to read the originals and now that I'm finally there I don't want to read anything else.

ShaneB

Upon scanning the rest of the thread, I have determined that you guys are way too smart for me....lol

Never ever downplay what you read and what you enjoy. I generally feel the same way in realizing I'd never read a bunch of books that get mentioned here, but just the same there are plenty of books that do get mentioned that I'm sure I'd love too. I'm saying this because I know I tend to enjoy "simpler" books as well. edit: Also, I know that same book has gotten mentioned multiple times in the reading threads :p

If I may suggest, check out the 'best of 2013' thread for lots of different variety in tastes. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740485

Twentieth

I'm about to finish Brave New World . It's been a fantastic journey so far. I'll probably re-read Fahrenheit 451 next.

daydream

Banned
Is Balzac the greatest writer in the history of mankind? I stopped reading Balzac about a year ago until my French was good enough to read the originals and now that I'm finally there I don't want to read anything else.

A lot of his novels aren't that remarkable, really, which is to be expected with such a huge oeuvre. When he's on the ball, though, he's one of the best writers of all time, like you said. Actually, the same thing can be noted about contemporaries like Maupassant, Zola and others.

Speaking of world class, I'm on Mrs. Dalloway at the moment. Brilliant prose. The way Woolf uses free indirect monologue is simply perfect.

Probably not the type of book the GAFfers of this thread reads, but I just finished this book. I thought it was very well written. Finished it in 24 hours....lol

Upon scanning the rest of the thread, I have determined that you guys are way too smart for me....lol

Not at all. I'll read a good fantasy/science fiction book over just about anything else. You know how what you like and there's a strong chance several others like it, too.

Remember, this is a video game forum.

A53gzYR.png

Still plugging away at The Way of Kings. Hm. I like it, but I don't love it. The characters aren't particularly grabbing me, and the dialogue still feels really dull and forced (I'm looking at you, Wit.)

I'm about 400 pages in and it hasn't grabbed me yet. If it hasn't grabbed me by now, will it?

Epcott

SoaSaint.jpg

Finished Devotion of Suspect X the last week of January. That book was pretty awesome. Thought I'd try the next book.

Kawl_USC

Mmmm... reconsidering the Dresden series. Dropped it once, but might have to pick it up again due to lack of other desirable options.

There's also book 3 of the Gentlemen Bastards series. Anyone read it yet? Loved the first book, but didn't really care for the second one... Is it worth getting?

Republic of Thieves (book 3 of Gentlemen Bastards) is closer in both structure and quality to the first book than the second in my opinion. It has a flashback narrative that alternates with the present day just like Lies of Locke Lamora. I actually reread the first one right after finishing Republic and really noticed the similarities that I feel were missing somewhat in the second causing some of the negative opinions.

Speaking of absurdities:
The thing where Min rescues Siuan and Leane is ridiculous. They were the two highest placed Aes Sedai and you'd think they'd maybe have some inside knowledge that is exclusive to the highest ranked Aes Sedai. Instead they get treated like they are some runaway kids or something. I understand they can't do any fancy magic tricks anymore but that does not in any way invalidate what they were and what they could bring to the table as such.

That particular absurdity is again definitely deliberate by Jordan in my opinion. He does a great job of showing that the ivory tower elitism of the Aes Sedai are a huge reason for all the problems they go through, with the constant disregarding of people who are either weak in the power or cannot channel at all. So, it is definitely frustrating to read them go through that, but I guess it stung a little less knowing that it was done on purpose to highlight another point.

Finished:

Athyra Image Snipped

Definitly the strangest of the books so far. Was a bit on the fence about the new perspective, mostly because I missed the bantering between Vlad and Loiosh. But in the end I really liked it and look forward to the next one.

The Vor Game Image Snipped]

So far the basic structure of the plot seems rather similar to The Warrior's Apprentice. But I do really enjoy Miles as a character and the whole structure of Barrayaran society and politics is really interesting.

Two series I got really into for a time about two years ago and then fell off of. I feel like if I were to read Vor Saga again I'd almost need to restart at least with the Miles books because I feel I've forgotten so much. I have like 3 or 4 omnibuses of them though so I really should just bear down and blow through them as they are so enjoyable once they get going. I think the last thing I read from this series was the "Borders of Infinity" short novella or whatever you would call it. And it was fantastic.

As for the Vlad series, I think the last one I read was book ....3, the one where his wife basically becomes involved in a communist movement and it was pretty substainially different from the first one, in a way I almost found off putting. It seems like very novel in the series is really different from each other, but that you at least seem to like all of them regardless of changes. Am I wrong in saying that? Basically asking if the rest of the series is as good as the first book.

Then I figure I'd move into this, once I'm done.
CompleteMalazan_final_web.jpg

That should take me the rest of the year.

Holy shit. That thing has to be close to 10,000 pages doesn't it?! That's insane. But yea, this is what I'm currently working on which is the reason that I can't pick up the two series above immediately. Finished Memories of Ice a few weeks ago and am currently working my way on the much shorter House of Chains.

It almost feels weird for the first part of the book to have so linearly followed the path of one character. But the pay off was pretty awesome when finding out that Karsa was actually
the badass with the wooden sword that we saw in Deadhouse Gates. Really should have figured that out sooner than I did. Although I did figure it out a few chapters before it was explicit when I realized he was going to end up in the desert.

Overall, the series is so different from aSoIaF and I love that about it. It is a really nice change of pace and the amounts of bad ass characters is awesome. Although I'm still salty about (Memories of Ice Spoilers)
the death of Whiskeyjack. That shit ain't right.

The Vor Saga is amazing, although the last couple have been less so. There was a stretch there from Warrior's Apprentice through A Civil Campaign where it was hitting on all cylinders.

I read the first Vlad Taltos book years ago and it just didn't grab me. Never went back.

Ditto with Malazan. I read the first book and wasn't sure I knew what the fuck had happened.

Pau

Such a good collection. <3

I finished reading 1491 which was quite an eye-opener. This stuff should be taught in American schools. Definitely recommend it for anyone who's interested in the history of the Americas before Columbus arrived. It was particularly interesting as someone living in the United States, but originally from Colombia.

Now onto Sanderson's The Alloy of Law. Cool to see the world from the previous books so far into the future. I feel like after 1491 and the stuff I have to read for class, I'm going to finish in this a night or two because it goes by so quickly.

I'm also reading Toni Morrison's Playing in the Dark for class which is a short work of literary criticism. Morrison brings up great points, but I feel like a lot of it is lost on me because I don't have such an extensive background in American literature.

Shengar

A53gzYR.png

Still plugging away at The Way of Kings. Hm. I like it, but I don't love it. The characters aren't particularly grabbing me, and the dialogue still feels really dull and forced (I'm looking at you, Wit.)

I'm about 400 pages in and it hasn't grabbed me yet. If it hasn't grabbed me by now, will it?

If I were you, I will stopped reading.

Necrovex

A53gzYR.png

My appreciation for this novel grew as I read through it until to the point where I was in love with it. The final two hundred pages are pure bliss.

Reading Way of Kings right now as well. I'm about 300 pages in and loving the Kaladin chapters but plodding through everyone else. Shallan and Szeth are interesting, but I'm guessing they won't be back for a while.

Shengar

This is the first time I managed to finish 200 pages book in one day. I guess everyone else here have done that in the past.

Nymerio

That particular absurdity is again definitely deliberate by Jordan in my opinion. He does a great job of showing that the ivory tower elitism of the Aes Sedai are a huge reason for all the problems they go through, with the constant disregarding of people who are either weak in the power or cannot channel at all. So, it is definitely frustrating to read them go through that, but I guess it stung a little less knowing that it was done on purpose to highlight another point.

No amount of him trying to highlight any points is going to make the characters in this series any less stupid. I'm at the point where I'm rooting for the bad guys because I don't think the good guys deserve to live through this (not that the bad guys are much better). There's so much stupidity going around it makes my blood boil. I'm finishing this book today and then I'm going to take a break from the series.

ShaneB

Headed back to Coalwood to finish off these books, really enjoyed them and have loved all the people and characters. Just been fairly inspirational and kept reminded me of growing up in such a small mining town as well, and how much I do miss it.

Now reading.. Sky of Stone
266846.jpg

Republic of Thieves (book 3 of Gentlemen Bastards) is closer in both structure and quality to the first book than the second in my opinion. It has a flashback narrative that alternates with the present day just like Lies of Locke Lamora. I actually reread the first one right after finishing Republic and really noticed the similarities that I feel were missing somewhat in the second causing some of the negative opinions.

Thanks. I've been hemming and hawing on it, but honestly, I can't think of anything else worth taking a gamble on. I really want a nice fantasy novel or series with a bit of grit, a lot of blood (main characters that get kicked to shit are fun) and some dark comedy. The first book hit all three of these notes beautifully, but the second, well, as you said, it was missing somethings that made the first so enjoyable
(like a payoff at the end. -_-)
. I'm also not a big fan of any romantic subplots. Ugh.

If I were you, I will stopped reading.

What? Really? I enjoyed Way of Kings. It had some great world building and a really unusual 'flavor' for a fantasy world. To be fair, the friend I lent it to felt the same way as you, though. But I thought it was a nice read.

Reading Way of Kings right now as well. I'm about 300 pages in and loving the Kaladin chapters but plodding through everyone else. Shallan and Szeth are interesting, but I'm guessing they won't be back for a while.

Haha. I was the opposite. The Kaladin chapters were the ones that felt plodding to me. I thought the 'bridge' runners concept was interesting, however.

Piecake

Besides some prejudice about nations, peoples, lifestyles, and beliefs I thought this book was excellent. It definitely gives you a comprehensive and entertaining story about Hitler's rise and fall.

Kawl_USC

Thanks. I've been hemming and hawing on it, but honestly, I can't think of anything else worth taking a gamble on. I really want a nice fantasy novel or series with a bit of grit, a lot of blood (main characters that get kicked to shit are fun) and some dark comedy. The first book hit all three of these notes beautifully, but the second, well, as you said, it was missing somethings that made the first so enjoyable
(like a payoff at the end. -_-)
. I'm also not a big fan of any romantic subplots. Ugh.

With all that you have said I would temper my recommendation a little. The first spoiler I think is much better for this book than the second although I know some people had problem with some of the major revelation. Personally I didn't have a problem with the turn it took. The book however is very much about your second qualm both in the past and present as the book is almost entirely concerned with
Sabetha

So take all that into account when making your decision. Although on the whole it's a quick read so it isn't a huge investment.

iiicon

It's a shame because the Terror by the same author was great.
I haven't read Hyperion, but the Simmons books I have I found to be flawed, yet enjoyable reads. Drood and The Terror specifically - Simmons does a great job of establishing a threat and an eerie, dreadful tone, and then the monster shows up and the book falls apart. Song of Kali is an exception, though. What a great horror novel.

GRW810

David Hollow and the Crescent Knight

The second in the David Hollow trilogy, an epic fantasy adventure influenced by Stephen King's Dark Tower. I found out about the series right here on GAF from the author's brother (Oatmeal), though the author himself, Ryan Christensen, is now a GAF member under the name David Hollow. Fittingly.

Absolutely fantastically written with the talent of any big name, bestselling author, the plot follows the eponymous David Hollow, a boy who, upon turning 16 discovers that the world he lives in and everything he believed is a lie. Rather than being chosen as a hero he realises he has been pinpointed as a danger to those governing the land under a fictitious fear of an unseen enemy.

The books literally cost about a dollar and I would highly recommend grabbing a copy. Once you start reading you won't put it down. I spent early January reading this and can't wait to check out the third and final David Hollow book.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared

The most fun book I've ever read. Bought it as a change of pace from my usual fantasy, thriller and horror favourites and it's easily one of the best literary decisions I've ever made. Joyfully written with a flowing, quirky style by Swedish author Jonas Jonasson, it explores the farcical journey of centenarian Allan Karlsson as he escapes his care home and embarks on an increasingly ridiculous adventure. Along the way his past is told through flashback chapters which reveal how he travelled the world and met some of the most famous names in history.

I wanted to read it as soon as I saw the title and then by chance it was a the Kindle daily deal around the new year. Best 99p I've ever spent. Such a pleasure to read, took me less than a week.

Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection

I've always wanted to read Sherlock Holmes. For a long time I didn't know where to start but I found this on Kindle for less than a quid and grabbed it. I'm currently reading a Study in Scarlet and thoroughly enjoying the birth of a literary icon. I expected the language to be outdated and wordy but it's a pleasant read and as a bonus it's fun comparing the story to BBC's Sherlock episode A Study in Pink; how Holmes and Watson met, Holmes' instantly knowing about Watson's service abroad, etc.

Top Bottom