• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fakefaker

Finished up Lincoln in the Bardo. I know I'm in the minority, but I thought it was just OK. The format was really distracting and gimmicky and kept taking me out of the experience. It would have been a much better book if it was traditionally written and formatted.

Anyway, I'm on a fantasy kick and picked this up today (only $4.99 on kindle). It's a revenge tale, one of my favorite sub-genres.

Cold Counsel by Chris Sharp

I saw Cold Counsel on Tor.com and it sounded pretty good. Please post a review when you're done thanks.

I finished Children of Time.

Please read Children of Time. It's so good. Inventive science fiction with a lot of really incredible moments.

I honestly can't think of a bad thing to say about it except that it ends, and I did not want it to.

I finished Children of Time.

Please read Children of Time. It's so good. Inventive science fiction with a lot of really incredible moments.

I honestly can't think of a bad thing to say about it except that it ends, and I did not want it to.

Is it a standalone or first book in a series?

DemWalls

100 or so pages into Tod und Teufel by Frank Schätzing. For now, it's a pretty good and intriguing historical thriller, and I love those. Also, I didn't expect it to be so funny, the narration to be so ironic.

Finished earlier this month: Only the Truth

31112396.jpg

Quick read, not that good. Could have done a lot more with the story, and the flashbacks are not really useful at all or relevant to the story.

Also finished: Six Wakes

28962996.jpg

Story about people on their way to a new planet. They need to manage the ship with a small crew, that gets cloned until they arrive. Something goes wrong, the set of clones die and they lose their memory of what happens due to their mindmaps being deleted (memories are transferred by mindmaps you need to make, a backup of the brain). Mystery starts about figuring out what happened. The universe with the cloning is pretty interesting, the actual plot, less so.

On to: Norse Mythology

30809689.jpg

About 30% in. Nice little stories so far and great writing by Gaiman as always.

I can't quite believe I'm holding this book in my hands.

Awesome. I heard it was a monster in terms of length though. How many pages is it?

I'm still on Part 1 of To Green Angel Tower in my re-read. Plodding along. Probably won't get to Witchwood Crown until much later in the year.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Awesome. I heard it was a monster in terms of length though. How many pages is it?

I'm still on Part 1 of To Green Angel Tower in my re-read. Plodding along. Probably won't get to Witchwood Crown until much later in the year.

The story itself is 696 pages long, with an additional 25 or so pages of appendices. It feels like it's about as long as The Dragonbone Chair.

Bazza

14497.jpg

16793.jpg

30165203.jpg

12708687.jpg

Really enjoying Neil Gaiman's stuff, I think from the 4 books I have read so far Neverwhere is my favorite.

Probably mentioned it before but my dreams are influenced quite heavily by my reading and generally after 2-3 books in a series before I will have dreams where characters and places the series I'm reading feature. I don't know if it was the actual story's themselves or his writing style but Neil Gaiman's books seemed to have an almost instant effect.

Still got a couple of Gaiman's books left but this was released today and I'm keen to see how the fight is taken to the Lankies.

30243858.jpg

aravuus

Finished The Blade Itself and I LLLLLLLLLLOVED it!

Ended with a tiny bit of a sour note for me cause the
chase scene at the end, even though it also gave us the most visceral death descriptions that just force you to cringe,
went on for faaaar too long, but other than that

L
O
V
E
D

I
T

I haven't been this genuinely entertained by a book since A Storm of Swords, and while I was expecting very good stuff, I can easily say The Blade Itself exceeded my expectations and turned out to probably be one of my favorite books ever.

Gonna take a short break from reading cause I want to play video games and maybe kinda work on my thesis too I guess every now and then, but I'll definitely get back to the series in a couple of weeks with Before They Are Hanged.

Mike M

Nick N
Listening to The Book Thief on Audible (it's apparently one of the audio books I have that I don't have a corresponding Kindle edition for)'
51Rs-tsiwBL._SL300_.jpg

I am legitimately shocked at how much I'm enjoying it.

I'm listening to Norse Mythology (by Gaiman), and while the narration is stellar I just find the subject material only mildly interesting.

Also got around to reading Men Without Women by Murakami, which is a collection of short stories. Just got done with the first story. Pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom