• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2012)

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Just finished Jon Fosse's Melancholy which was utterly superb. Now alternating between...

393947_10100534121672920_23908504_50504321_1553879436_n.jpg

Jintor

I'm alternating between 'things I find interesting in and of themselves' and 'Stuff I saw on a list somewhere and should now read'.

So basically I'm reading Dickens, and am pleasantly surprised to find the seeds of English dark humour writing all over the place, if a little wordier than normal.

Graham Greene is great. The movie adaptations of his works are good too, my professor said Our Man in Havana is a great movie. You should check it out when you're done reading it.

Yes, Greene is one of my favorite authors although I haven't seen any of the films. It's too bad that he's not on Kindle in the US or I would have read all of his works by now.

Fjordson

I'm still reading 11/22/63. The middle is a tad slow, but I'm still enjoying it.

I have a question for any Terry Pratchett fans out there: I shamefully have never read a single novel of his. Discworld sounds really interesting and I'd loved to get into it, but I'm told that you shouldn't necessarily just start with the first one he did. There's so many, though.

My brother vehemently recommended that I try "Guards! Guards!". Sound advice?

Emitan

I'm still reading 11/24/63. The middle is a tad slow, but I'm still enjoying it.

I have a question for any Terry Pratchett fans out there: I shamefully have never read a single novel of his. Discworld sounds really interesting and I'd loved to get into it, but I'm told that you shouldn't necessarily just start with the first one he did. There's so many, though.

I've heard Guards ! Guards! is the first one to read. It's on my Kindle, but is still unread.

hamchan

Just finished:

2767052.jpg

Great book, and I can see why it's so popular. I pretty much read it cover to cover in one day as it was quite gripping. I heard that it was quite similar to Battle Royale, a franchise that I love, and it kinda was in concept I guess but the way it's presented is so different I don't think anyone could say "it's like Battle Royale" as a criticism. This book was kinda a break from reading the Way of Kings which I'm halfway through but I can't wait to move onto the next book.

Zekes!

murakami-underground.jpg

Haruki Murakami: Underground. A non-fiction work where he writes about the terror attack on Tokyo's underground system some years ago. He interviews both victims and perpetrators. Murakami is one of my favourite fiction writers, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing how he deals with this.

This is one of my favourite Murakami works, honestly. This and after the quake are what I like to recommend to people, since most other people will usually recommend Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Hardboiled Wonderland, Norwegian Wood, etc.

Orayn

The Dresden Files: Storm Front and BattleTech: Decision at Thunder Rift.

On a related note, would any BattleTech fans like to recommend what Is should read after the Gray Death trilogy?

Pau

I'm still reading 11/24/63. The middle is a tad slow, but I'm still enjoying it.

I usually recommend Guards! Guards!, Small Gods, or Mort for first time readers. Guards! Guards! can be a bit slow and it's one of the longer books but starts the best series, Small Gods is seriously one of the best so sometimes it's nice to leave that for later, but Mort is sweet and short and a very good introduction to the world and one of the first times Pratchett nails his style. But it's not too developed so it's a nice start. I'd go with Mort if possible but then again you can't really go wrong with Guards! Guards!.

Fjordson

Thanks for the advice guys.

I usually recommend Guards! Guards!, Small Gods, or Mort for first time readers. Guards! Guards! can be a bit slow and it's one of the longer books but starts the best series, Small Gods is seriously one of the best so sometimes it's nice to leave that for later, but Mort is sweet and short and a very good introduction to the world and one of the first times Pratchett nails his style. But it's not too developed so it's a nice start. I'd go with Mort if possible but then again you can't really go wrong with Guards! Guards!.
Nice, thanks! I'll probably just grab both on Kindle. Mort sounds fantastic. Well, a lot of these books do really :lol

Emitan

Just finished:

2767052.jpg

Great book, and I can see why it's so popular. I pretty much read it cover to cover in one day as it was quite gripping. I heard that it was quite similar to Battle Royale, a franchise that I love, and it kinda was in concept I guess but the way it's presented is so different I don't think anyone could say "it's like Battle Royale" as a criticism. This book was kinda a break from reading the Way of Kings which I'm halfway through but I can't wait to move onto the next book.
Both are amazing books.

I love how alien Roshar is. Giant crabs, retreating grass, it's great.

About half-way through A Feast for Crows. At this point all I have to say is
Cersei? Bitches be crazy.
I have no idea where you are but I can tell you she only gets worse/better.

I'm alternating between 'things I find interesting in and of themselves' and 'Stuff I saw on a list somewhere and should now read'.

So basically I'm reading Dickens, and am pleasantly surprised to find the seeds of English dark humour writing all over the place, if a little wordier than normal.

I just finished reading A Tale of Two Cities, having avoided Dickens for ages in the mistaken belief his writing was incomprehensible "lawks a mercy" style old English. Loved it. Great story telling, great characters and a cutting insight into the French Revolution.

Next up, JG Ballard's Empire of the Sun.

hamchan

I'm interested in how many Gaffers are doing the Goodreads reading challenge this year and what your targets is?

http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/207-2012-reading-challenge

I'm being kinda conservative and putting 40 books to read this year even though I'm trying to read a book a week. With exams and study though I think that will be hard to achieve, plus I'm planning to read through big fantasy novels like the Wheel of Time series this year.

So anyone else doing it?

mike23

I'm interested in how many Gaffers are doing the Goodreads reading challenge this year and what your targets is?

I'm being kinda conservative and putting 40 books to read this year even though I'm trying to read a book a week. With exams and study though I think that will be hard to achieve, plus I'm planning to read through big fantasy novels like the Wheel of Time series this year.

So anyone else doing it?

Did anyone else set/hit a yearly goal on Goodreads for 2011? I originally had a goal of 52, but I ended up hitting that around May-June I think, so I upped it to 70. Ended the year with 73 books read.

Fairly certain that 73 new books is a record for me. Could be close though to when I was 13ish and read all 54 main Animorphs books + the extras in a month or two. Can't remember what else I read that year.

I upped it to 81 for next year.

Yep. 81 will be tough for me, but we'll see.

edit:
v2inW.png

So anyone else doing it?

Yeah. I did 25 last year and set it to 35 this year.

thomaser

Murakami's Underground:

It seems like there is an update on the story from the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16377178

Yeah, I saw it. Very nice, after such a long time! Only two of the Aum sect suspects are still at large.

This is one of my favourite Murakami works, honestly. This and after the quake are what I like to recommend to people, since most other people will usually recommend Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Hardboiled Wonderland, Norwegian Wood, etc.

I've read around 50 pages so far, and it's very gripping. Reads almost like some kind of experimental suspense novel, like Orhan Pamuk's My Name Is Red, where an incident is told again and again by different people with conflicting viewpoints. It's very fascinating to read how differently people experience the same thing, and the differences in what they remember or forget. It fits Murakami's style like a glove so far. Hopefully he'll try something like this again in the future. Perhaps something about the tsunami?

Fjordson

So anyone else doing it?
Man, I wish I could read that many books. I had a meager goal of 18 for 2011 and managed to reach it. Going for 24 this year.

I don't know what it is exactly, but I'm not great at carving out time to read consistently. Books can take me way too long as a result.

I was recently posed the question of which book I'd regret not having read if I died tomorrow. Rather than saying I had greater things to worry about if I died tomorrow, I gave the question some thought and decided it would be Ulysses, so I'm making it a point to read it before anything else this year.

Only through the first chapter, but it's pretty awesome.

Anyone know of a good online reading guide?

Gifford's Ulysses Annotated is generally considered the best annotation, but it's not online as far as I know. And you should read The Odyssey as you go along. This shouldn't be a chore, as The Odyssey is amazing.

But Ulysses is actually far more readable as a standalone text than people might lead you to believe. As long as you're a patient reader, that is.

ymmv

Banned

I don't t read as much as I used to (About 10 books a year I'm sad to say) but lately I've been reading a lot more (and at the same time seeing not as many movies). My aim is to read at least 24 books.

Currently reading: Bernard Cornwell - The Pale Horseman

Alucard

Banned
101476017.jpg

Read this on the weekend. I was surprised at how much killing Matt Murdock actually did, and how aggressive he was. Maybe shouldn't have been considering Miller wrote it. Regardless, it's a seminal work in the character's history, and features wonderful artwork, and interesting scenarios. The extras at the back of the hardcover premium edition are also great.

I really need to get back into reading novels this year. :-/ I feel like I haven't read a book from cover to cover in ages.

101476017.jpg

Read this on the weekend. I was surprised at how much killing Matt Murdock actually did, and how aggressive he was. Maybe shouldn't have been considering Miller wrote it. Regardless, it's a seminal work in the character's history, and features wonderful artwork, and interesting scenarios. The extras at the back of the hardcover premium edition are also great.

I really need to get back into reading novels this year. :-/ I feel like I haven't read a book from cover to cover in ages.

Hope you've read Bendis's (and the subsequent Brubaker) run on Daredevil. Easily the best DD stories ever told, with some amazing art by Alex Maleev (in the Bendis half).

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
The Anatomy of Melancholy. Only on the second book, but its pretty good so far.

Gambit

Just started "out of the silent planet" by C.S. Lewis.

After that it'll be Urusla K. LeGuin's "Dispossed". Never read either of them before

Mumei

I read:

Mushishi, Volume 4

905759.jpg

The Lightning Thief

51tU8iaaHqL.jpg

I'm currently reading:

The Norton Anthology of Children's Literature: Traditions in English

1662322.jpg

Since it's a 2400 page monstrosity, I'm uh... not planning on reading it in a few days like most books. I have it checked out from the library, so I just plan on reading it over the course of the time I have it checked out. It has a lot of interesting information about the authors and about attitudes towards children and their education over the years in addition to classic stories (including quite a few in forms that I hadn't read before).

I also am going to start another book - it might be another in the Percy Jackson series, since the first one was such a light read, or it might be a library book. Not sure yet.

Jarlaxle

cover-tigana.jpg

I know I've been reading this for about 3 months now. Just been busy with work, my 1 year old, and games. I have about 150 pages left. I'll be finishing it this week. I like it and find it very well written but for some reason I'm not loving it. Maybe the end will completely blow me away but I can kind of see where this is all going. The foreshadowing started really early in this book.

So anyone else doing it?

I set my challenge to 81 last year and ended up topping it with 92 books. This year, I'm setting it to 90.

Jenga

Banned
I heard that it was quite similar to Battle Royale, a franchise that I love, and it kinda was in concept I guess but the way it's presented is so different I don't think anyone could say "it's like Battle Royale" as a criticism.

it's like battle royal to a point where it's less of a criticism and more of a direct rip-off of plot points for two books straight

ultron87

Halfway through Way of Kings. Seems like things will be happening now, since there was a lot of set up before this.

Kosh

So anyone else doing it?

I'm going for 50. Let me ask, does everyone count audiobooks? My wife and I had a discussion about this today. She thinks audiobooks should not count. Her argument is that reading takes time and you can't really be doing much while in the act of reading. Where with an audiobook, you could be driving, doing housework, etc. I said it doesn't matter as you are still getting the same information either way and that's what really counts.

I'm going for 50. Let me ask, does everyone count audiobooks? My wife and I had a discussion about this today. She thinks audiobooks should not count. Her argument is that reading takes time and you can't really be doing much while in the act of reading. Where with an audiobook, you could be driving, doing housework, etc. I said it doesn't matter as you are still getting the same information either way and that's what really counts.

I definitely count audiobooks. A book to me, is a collection of ideas an author conveys to you and an audiobook is just another way to do this. I'd say 1/4 of my "reading" comes from Kindle's text to speech while I'm on my way to/from work.

PersonaX

I'll probably finish this tonight or tomorrow

517WnWcKRKL.jpg

Next in line:

JEsrj.jpg

altered_carbon.jpg

Okay...i just finished Inferno and i absolutely loved it, i liked it so much that i have to get my hands on the sequel, now!

so, a change of plans, Never Let Me Go and Altered Carbon have to wait for a little longer.

I'm a sucker for stuff like this, hell/biblical themes from the darker side of the spectrum really fascinate me, i should get my hands on the real deal as well, Dante's Inferno.

Fjordson

I think audiobooks definitely count.

Mumei

So anyone else doing it?

I am. Last year I had 132:

TZ6os.png

But they were of varying length and style (about 40 of them were either comics collections or manga volumes, for instance, and there was a small group of children's books), so it's somewhat less impressive than it sounds as a raw number. There were a couple things that I read but weren't counted, though, since I had read them before (The Count of Monte Cristo, Absolute Sandman I - III, and A Song of Ice and Fire (I - IV).

My initial goal for this year is 75, though I'll probably up it if I get ahead.

Fjordson

^Holy shit. Crazy impressive.

I wouldn't have even reached 19 books without re-reads and a few graphic novels =( pathetic :lol

Hanzou

Just finished reading
images

An am now reading
37925.jpg

I found the Dragon reborn to be a little slow but the last ~100 pages or so were great. The Gap into Conflict is great so far, just over half way done and is a very weird violent romance/sci-fi story. Heard the rest of the bookms in the series is even better.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I am. Last year I had 132:

TZ6os.png

But they were of varying length and style (about 40 of them were either comics collections or manga volumes, for instance, and there was a small group of children's books), so it's somewhat less impressive than it sounds as a raw number. There were a couple things that I read but weren't counted, though, since I had read them before (The Count of Monte Cristo, Absolute Sandman I - III, and A Song of Ice and Fire (I - IV).

My initial goal for this year is 75, though I'll probably up it if I get ahead.

eHkYz.jpg

Top Bottom