• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 09)

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Didnt wanna bump the last thread cause its almost July anyways.

Still chugging through this, hasnt quite captured me but its still good.

9780553588941.jpg

And just got this, excited woot!

n286857.jpg

So whats GAF reading?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
2s9xj52.jpg

I always found Mishima's writing to be ridiculously beautiful, but the more I read his work the less surprised I am he killed himself.

Salazar

Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie.
Little, Big - John Crowley.

Looking forward to both. I just finished Abercrombie's trilogy on the train this afternoon (WTF etc...), and I picked up Crowley while waiting for that train to arrive. Pulp Fiction - SF, Fantasy, and Crime bookstore in Brisbane: goddamn awesome.

batbeg

I started reading Max Frei The Stranger, but it was shit. So very, very fucking terrible. Stay far away from this book.

I'm out of money, so am considering a reread of James Barclays' Cry of the Newborn, to preface a first-time read of Shout for the Dead which I bought but never read. Seems like a good series, though I really disliked the only other James Barlcay book I read.

Edit: Don't see how I missed it in the OP, but I loved the Lies of Locke Lamora, and Red Seas Under Red Skies last month. Wish the next book were out, because I'm a big fan of the series thus far.

CiSTM

Banned
Went back to Hunter.

hvap2d.jpg

After Hunter i think it is time for more Haruki Murakami or Tom Wolfe's The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. Don't know yet.

Dagon

I'm reading Trigonometric Delights, by Eli Maor.

51IyUVCCaxL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU02_.jpg

It's a fun trip through the history and application of trigonometry. Not everyone's kind of book, I'm sure, but if you enjoy mathematics and want to add more context to the formulas, it's an absorbing read. Plus you can get it free online.

Atrophis

450158m.jpg

About half way through. Pretty incredible stuff so far.

Have also ordered the Bluray of the film to watch when im done.

Next week i go on holiday and will be bringing this to keep me occupied:

446776m.jpg

Kola

0375413928.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Wouldn't recommend it. After the absolutely amazing "Crime and Punishment", a book whose contents still haunt me from time to time and which I consider to be one of the greatest books of all time I expected more of "The Idiot". Don't get me wrong, it's a good read, often a bit too slow, but nevertheless a good one. Why I still would not recommend it: Dostoevsky wrote so many good books, you can skip this one and still experience the AWESOMENESS of Dostoevsky by taking a look at other books he wrote (e.g. "The Brothers Karamasov).

Doytch

Just finished:

0307346617.01._SX220_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Pretty, pretty, pretty good. There were parts of it where I swear I thought it was real and an actual history book. Didn't scare me or anything, but I really, really liked it.

Coming today from Amazon:

n1356.jpg

Recommended by afternoon delight in last month's thread. A lot of people mentioned Cat's Cradle, and I'll be borrowing that from my sister the next time I see her.

0307265439.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Everyone's reading this, so I threw it in the cart also.

gdt

Just about wrapping up I, Robot. Heading into the entire 15 book FOUNDATION Universe, and I, Robot (or the Complete Robot) is the starting place.

thomaser

Finished Milan Kundera's "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" a few days ago. Beautiful.

Now, D. H. Lawrence's "Lady Chatterley's Lover". Totally scandalous when it came out in 1930 or so. The uncencored text was banned in the US until 1959 and in the UK until 1960. I guess the shock value has diminished since then, but the writing and use of language is still very highly regarded.

antispin

Just finished Dragon in Chains (boring for the most part but might pick up the second part), almost done with The Road (good read), will start with Anathem afterwards. Maybe read Stories of Your Life in parallel.

Wollan

xHereticsOfDune.jpg

About to finish it. God Emperor of Dune (previous book) was relatively slow moving but it conveyed a lot of ideas, very philosophical in writing. Heretics is more action filled but still contains all the personal intrigue one would want, I really like how they have been amping up the tension. Read for several hours in bed last night but had to cut it off eventually, I've just reached a part where a certain character has to escape captivity and I read (in the gaf Dune thread) that it's considered a pretty great moment in the book series. As soon as I get some time tonight.

besada

Banned
Just finished Tyler Knox's Kockroach, where a roach wakes in a human body.

After that I read Second Contact by Mike Resnick.

I have three Lethem books in the queue, and Bolano's 2666.

I think Michael Chabon is my favorite writer around about now.

mapsand.jpg

outliers3.jpg

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and although I'm sure a lot of his statistics are massaged, the basic gist that "successful" people owe more to luck than we admit (ie Bill Gates) seems legit.

9781931859707.jpg

ultron87

Still working through Olympos by Dan Simmons. I really really enjoyed Ilium, but this one just hasn't grabbed me yet.

I'm also reading a mess of comic collections including:

-Earth X
-Final Crisis
-Batman RIP
-JLA Deluxe Vol 1
-Powers Vol 4: Supergroup (Holy crap that was awesome)
-Annihilation Vol 1

I wonder when the last time there was a "What are you reading?" thread where someone in the thread wasn't reading either World War Z or The Road.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
vi1t8k.jpg

Zafon's first novel, The Shadow of the Wind, is possibly my favourite of all time. This one is a damn worthy follow-up, though maybe not quite as good. Still, probably the best novel I've read this year.

Prince

Just finished:

2ptoytt.jpg

Powerful and well written, a very personal account from the writer during the chaos in Indonesia (1997-1999).

Starting:

16ghgf5.jpg

Bulla564

Banned
517E1E0T4DL.jpg

Finally getting to it, I figured I'd read up on one of the (if not THE) main works in free market economics. As with everything I read, I like to understand the roots of behavior/ideas.

c90d124128a06322d13e2010.L._AA240_.jpg

Deals with interpreting symbols in dreams, fairy tales, etc, as the language of the inner self. I was bored as hell during the chapter of Freud's dream theory, so hopefully it picks up later.

TheWayofShadows.jpg

It's a fantastic read so far. Much harsher than the stuff I usually read, but it's fantastically written and the characters are gripping.

Alucard

Banned
assassins-apprentice.jpg

I am slightly enamored with this book right now. I have been at it for over four days now, and made a one hundred page dent in it last night. Over midway through, and I am very impressed with how Hobb is able to lay down such a personally affecting tale, grounding it in a believable reality, and still adding supernatural elements that somehow feel conceivable. All of the puppy and animal love has touched me too. :) I should have a mini-review in two days or so.

Undeux

51X6gscMvRL._SS500_.jpg

Been speeding through the series - it was hard to stop once the second book got interesting.

20984249.jpg

Pretty interesting, and it makes me feel kind of dumb.

pillars-of-the-earth.jpg

Just started about a week ago and can't put it down.

aidan said:
vi1t8k.jpg

Zafon's first novel, The Shadow of the Wind, is possibly my favourite of all time. This one is a damn worthy follow-up, though maybe not quite as good. Still, probably the best novel I've read this year.

I just read a couple reviews on Amazon on it and all I could gather is its a book about another book that some kid has to protect or something. Couldn't find anything really compelling in the synopsis but anyone that claims its their favorite book of all time makes me want to check it out.

What about the book was so great?

sawtelle.jpg

I tried to read this book but got bored out of my mind about halfway through.

Cafeman

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: Sherlock Holmes. Finished A study in scarlet and The Sign of Four novels. Now reading the shorter stories, just finished The Red-Headed League and Scandel in Bohemia.

Vinci

Danish
reggieandTFE said:
I think Michael Chabon is my favorite writer around about now.

Chabon is amazing. The Yiddish Policemen's Union was my favorite book I read last year.

At the moment, I grabbed 2010 and will likely follow that with Elegant Universe - for probably the 20th time.

Seem to be doing this a lot: Going back and rereading things umpteen times, since I feel I'm learning more with each reading. Eventually I'll get around to reading World War Z, but haven't taken the dive yet.

Mash

cover_PandorasStar.jpg

(Awesome, some dull chapters but appreciative of them later in the novel when their necessity makes sense. About 3/4 through and have got Judas Unchained ready to read straight after.)

92c6eb6709a0ed63d8741110.L.jpg

(rereading)

6a00c2252515358e1d00e398a3411c0001-500pi

(rereading)

222-1.jpg

0740777424.png

Lio is by far the best comic strip out there and really, in my opinion, has picked up the torch left by Calvin and Hobbes and the Far Side

but I am also currently reading...

51ABJ7K997L._SL500_AA240

Awesome piece of American Literature and if you like the outdoors at all you should really pick this up. Nessmuk (his pen name) was a pretty interesting guy.

0375411690.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I just started it, i'm a little disappointed because so far it doesn't seem to engage me as far as the other books of Murakami i read (the last one was The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle which i loved).

n25719.jpg

My first Pynchon book. I have yet to start it but i already regret having bought the italian version because the original is written in 18th century english and reading a translation, no matter how well done it is, kinda defeats the purpose.

Mifune

Mehmber
BenjaminBirdie said:
No one else is doing Infinite Summer reading David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest?

Best summer ever, man.

My local B&N is sold out (I've got a gift card) and every fucking branch of the L.A. Public Library has it checked out.

Infinite Summer is a big hit, it seems.

I have a copy reserved at the Burbank B&N. We'll see when that's available for pick-up. I'm already a week-plus behind.

In the meantime, I'm reading this ol' classic:

4981.jpg

ymmv

Banned
emissaries.jpg

About 150 pages in and it's still slow going. It's an SF detective about two murders on an artificial space station run by extraterrestrial AI. The premise is interesting but the book really has to pick up because I still don't care about the characters and I have to force myself to keep reading.

gdt5016 said:
Just about wrapping up I, Robot. Heading into the entire 15 book FOUNDATION Universe, and I, Robot (or the Complete Robot) is the starting place.

I have only ever read the Foundation Trilogy, which I liked. Are they worth continuing?

kurahadol

Just starting to read more now that I'm jobless during these summer months:

I just finished this yesterday:
n24430.jpg

Awesome book, made me just want to forget everything and hit the road :lol

Now I'm reading this:
cormac-770484.jpg

Not sure what my obsession with road books are right now heh. It's a bit of a weird read compared to the one I just finished but I'm enjoying it so far.

gdt

TheOrangeKid007 said:
I have only ever read the Foundation Trilogy, which I liked. Are they worth continuing?

I'd count the whole thing as my favorites series ever, so yeah, go for it.

FnordChan

BenjaminBirdie said:
No one else is doing Infinite Summer reading David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest?

I'm on page 157. I'm digging it so far but, man, is that a lot of book to lug around. I generally try to focus on one book at a time, but I'll probably start on a side book just so I have something I can actually fit into a pocket.

FnordChan

Zyzyxxz

This book has inspired me to pursue my dreams which have been held back by my fear of "what if it doesn't turn out that well".

The_Alchemist2.jpg

hermeez

I'm currently about halfway through The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and greatly enjoying it. Will probably pick up World War Z when I finish.

Top Bottom