• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 09)

Spwn

6a00c2251d5fb5f21900d4141e13c33c7f-.jpg

Reading the Restaurant at the End of the Universe at the moment. No question why the series is a classic.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Alucard said:
I finished it this evening.

This is a very character-driven narrative, which immediately sinks its hooks into the reader. Beginning with a bastard being dropped off on the doorstep of his father's kingdom, the story is briskly paced and largely focuses on the various events and emotions of the lead character's young life. Its emotional intensity is powerful, as Robin Hobb deftly examines an unwanted outcast's loneliness, in a kingdom that seems only to tolerate him.

While things quickly begin to change in young Fitz's life, as he is brought under the king's employ and trained in numerous subjects, the complex feelings of internal desolation never leave him, as he is forced to endure numerous emotionally scarring episodes. It is Hobb's psychological penetration into Fitz's horrific experiences that create a bond between the reader and the narrative, in the same way Fitz shares a bond with animals throughout.

The novel explores duty to self, name, and kingdom. Fitz's identity is constantly being challenged, and his allegiances are rarely static. As the book reaches its conclusion, he questions everything he has gone through, and wonders if he can trust anyone at all; even himself. In a life that demands subservience and unwavering loyalty, Fitz is forced to make some incredibly difficult choices. Hobb's handling of the resolution is satisfying enough, and does not lead down stereotypical paths. The final thirty pages or so are a torrent of drama and political intrigue, and it leaves the reader asking: is public deception sometimes necessary in order to keep the peace and security of a people?

This is a fantastic fantasy novel, that is grounded so much in reality and the mundane, that even the supernatural elements seem conceivable. Despite the episodic nature of the narrative, every little bit is important to building the whole, and making the reader feel connected with Fitz. We feel his frustration with his overbearing stablemaster, share his disappointment of potentially lost adolescent love, and partake in his emphatically loving relationships with dogs and horses. The ability of the author to reach through the pages and make us genuinely feel sympathy, anger, and joy along with the protagonist, is the highest compliment that can be paid to her. 4.5/5

Next up: Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb.

Only gets better IMHO, remember go Tawny Man after the Assassins books ;)

nyong

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Only gets better IMHO, remember go Tawny Man after the Assassins books ;)

This might become my next read. It was a free download for my Kindle. Presumably so people get hooked on the series.

Masked Man

I said wow
John Dunbar said:
2s9xj52.jpg

I always found Mishima's writing to be ridiculously beautiful, but the more I read his work the less surprised I am he killed himself.

:O :O :O

I thought I was the only one reading this! What a pleasant coincidence. Also, Mishima = <33333333

vareon said:
Just finished...

51mxPCjxykL._SS500_.jpg

Now reading...

51DM1YT8GAL._SS500_.jpg

Pretty informative and entertaining.

Understanding Comics is awesome. The best part is that when you're done, you actually "get it" on more than one level. :)

Should be made into obligatory reading for gaming critics, imo.

Though Reinventing Comics wasn't so hot , apparently.

gdt

Dedalus said:
2n1dki9.jpg

I plan to be reading the Foundation series, Robots series, and Empire series for the next few months :D

STOP READING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE READING IN THE WRONG ORDER.

Read it in release order. Trust me.

Fireblend

Banned
Recently finished:
zombie.gif

Now reading:
the_windup_bird_chronicle.large.jpg

0345331354.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm thinking about getting House of Leaves, The Colour of Magic and American Gods next, probably in that order. Speaking of which, can anyone recommend something similar to Good Omens? Not necessarily similar in theme, but in the way it reads; I really enjoyed it.

Calidor

After watching the movie The man from earth, I was recommended this book:

jitterbug.jpg

I'm about to start it, has anyone read it? I'm not a big fan of books, but I like to read some from time to time

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I've been in "Let's Take Out Random Books from the Library!" mode:

51K5D1YWJHL._SS500_.jpg

It's actually quite an interesting read.

Dedalus

gdt5016 said:
STOP READING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE READING IN THE WRONG ORDER.

Read it in release order. Trust me.
Whoa, totally didn't consider this when I picked it up, and now that I've seen his bibliography I think I've got a bit more money to spend :lol I think I've got Pebble In the Sky around here somewhere...

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
After browsing Amazon for the hundreth time without buying anything, and realising I am massively behind on my reading, I went on a bit of a shopping spree. Picked up the following

Havana Nocturne: How the Mob Owned Cuba.and Then Lost It to the Revolution
51Pei7JUR5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Catcher In The Rye
51LlwBORglL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Outliers
41bbHmtqpQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Blind Watchmaker
41Q863XG1KL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Watchmen graphic novel
41mZ-9Du5TL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Wristwatch Annual 2009
51JGgdJlEzL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Should keep me busy for a while.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Got bout 50 or so pages left myself on Lies of Locke Lamora, was good but you can tell was first effort (hard to describe why). Gonna pick up the next one and see how it goes!

Edit: Done, good stuff. I think he goes to much into detail throughout the book so theres no real surprises when the major events happen, all in all a good read though.

"Is this winning?"
"It is"
"It can go fuck itself"

Booser

Never read a lot of fiction. I have weird tastes in non fiction though. Im currently reading this book about animal attacks. Some of the stories are fascinating and sickening at the same time.

4144A8949BL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

batbeg

Just started reading The Book Thief a few hours ago. Interesting stuff so far, I like what it does though the style is sometimes... obtrusive.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Bamp, finished Lies of Locke Lamora and updated other post. Robin Hobbs newie next.

Listening to Moby Dick on audio book now as well; fuck i love the dialogue makes me feel like everyone (including myself) is a backwards deadshit.

A toast to the English language of yore and its continual decent into depths of the abyss that is us all.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I finally finished "Fall of Reach" the Halo novel. I really loved it. It tells a story I had not known before and I really dug it.

31FNWHA224L.jpg

I'm ready to go on to a new book already though. On some recommendations, I picked up "1984" by George Orwell. I hear great things, obviously, and I'm looking forward to digging in.

gdt

Dedalus said:
Whoa, totally didn't consider this when I picked it up, and now that I've seen his bibliography I think I've got a bit more money to spend :lol I think I've got Pebble In the Sky around here somewhere...

Whats considered as the FOUNDATION UNIVERSE books are the 5 Robot Series books, 3 Empire books, and 7 Foundation books (total 15 books). If you're reading them for the first time, it's highly, HIGLY, recommended you read them in release order.

However, I'm rereading the whole thing currently in chronological order currently. I'm upto the fourth book, The Robots Of Dawn.

Edit: Oh and the vast majority of Asimov's work is non fiction.

crowphoenix said:
TheWayofShadows.jpg

It's a fantastic read so far. Much harsher than the stuff I usually read, but it's fantastically written and the characters are gripping.
Finished and moving on to the sequel. Other than a couple chapters in the middle, it was a fantastic book. The characters were awesome. I can't wait to see how the rest of the series pans out.

besada

Banned
Calidor said:
I'm about to start it, has anyone read it? I'm not a big fan of books, but I like to read some from time to time

Jitterbug Perfume is one of my favorite Robbins novels. It's him at his prime, before he became so entranced by his own voice that he retreated into literary echolalia.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Finished Wizards and Glass last month and about to finish Wolves of Calla. Love the Callahan character and his backstory.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Finished up The Angel's Game, which was fantastic. Maybe not quite on the level of its predecessor, The Shadow of the Wind, but easily my favourite book of the year so far.

Now I'm working on:

2rcmpeh.jpg

Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi.

Snaku

Banned
I just finished listening to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, read by Jim Dale. It's my first time going through the HP audio books, and I adored the reading of the first book. After listening to the first chapter I knew Jim Dale's voice sounded familiar, so I did a quick bit of digital detective work (wikipedia :p). Turns out he played Dr. Terminus in Pete's Dragon, one of my favorite characters in one of my favorite films growing up! And he sounded exactly like he did back then!

At that point I was giddy to get back to listening to it, and I finished in a day. I can't wait to listen to the other six!

On to the Chamber of Secrets. :D

Alucard

Banned
Spwn said:
6a00c2251d5fb5f21900d4141e13c33c7f-.jpg

Reading the Restaurant at the End of the Universe at the moment. No question why the series is a classic.

Yeah, Adams' wit and humour are fantastic, though I wish there was a little more continuity between the books!

gdt

Just (re)finished Robots Of Dawn.

Awesome.

I love all the subtle, and not so subtle, hints toward the future. The book does a great job a connecting the the whole series. And the relationship between Bailey and Daneel (and kinda Giskard at the end) was actually very touching.

On to Robots and Empire!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Finished "Wolves of Calla", picked up "Song of Sussanah". Almost there. ALMOST THERE. Series has been highly enjoyable so far.

Alucard

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Just (re)finished Robots Of Dawn.

Awesome.

I love all the subtle, and not so subtle, hints toward the future. The book does a great job a connecting the the whole series. And the relationship between Bailey and Daneel (and kinda Giskard at the end) was actually very touching.

On to Robots and Empire!

You are my hero. Isaac Asimov's Robots series really got me into sci-fi about two years ago. :) Excellent books, all, though I was a little weirded out by
use of robots for sex in the book you just finished.

gdt

Alucard said:
You are my hero. Isaac Asimov's Robots series really got me into sci-fi about two years ago. :) Excellent books, all, though I was a little weirded out by
use of robots for sex in the book you just finished.

Ehh.

It was a logical extension. Especially on a world with customs like Aurora.

Wollan

9780575075184.jpg

Just finished this one (and with that, the Frank Herbert Dune saga).

The story went at a slow pace, giving us insight into minute stuff, slowly building and it all explodes in the last quarter of the book. It was nice to see how every element fell into place and I thought the outcome was interesting.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Just finished reading Dream Worlds by Hans Bacher. Its short since its an artbook, but its amazing! Bacher was one of the lead artist in most 90 Disneys movies (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Mulan, etc) and he teaches his rules for composition, color, value, etc etc, amazing book, cant recommend it enough.

Cover:

dreamworldscover.jpg

Book preview: http://books.google.com/books?id=JT...6X0AQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=11

Buy at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0240520939/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Right now I have three series to get started on, dunno which one to go with first:

- The Dark Tower
- Song of Fire and Ice
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Unabridged Edition too! Its gonna be challenging)

Alucard

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Ehh.

It was a logical extension. Especially on a world with customs like Aurora.

It's been a while, so I don't recall all the details. I remember thinking that the first two books, The Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun were my favourites, though I also really enjoyed Robots and Empire. I will definitely re-read the series at some point. Asimov's writing style is so simple and direct, and he really focuses on the philosophical aspect of his narratives.

Top Bottom