• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 09)

BenjaminBirdie said:
Thanks for the heads up...?

I don't even know, like, is this supposed to be an insult to me?

He might have been commenting on the effect that hyperbole has on undermining the significance of praise. I don't know, though, it could well be understandable with the novel you've read.

Edit: Incredibly late. Nothing to see here...

Flo_Evans

Too much fiction! I like cold hard facts.

Just started reading

designing-interactions-cover.jpg

Great so far!

BenjaminBirdie said:
Heh. I get it, man.

But seriously, taking it as a sobered second reading, hyperbole-free, with no OMG THIS NEW THING IS SO GOOD AND AWESOME sensation, it really is the best prose I've ever read.

I mean, something has to be, right?
That's a good point about the second reading. I probably would have done the Infinite Summer thing myself, but I had already started The Stand just before I found out about it. Traded one 1000+ page book for another. I probably need to work myself up to Infinite Jest anyway. I was never a huge reader as a kid/adolescent.

Vinci

Danish
CajoleJuice said:
That's a good point about the second reading. I probably would have done the Infinite Summer thing myself, but I had already started The Stand just before I found out about it. Traded one 1000+ page book for another. I probably need to work myself up to Infinite Jest anyway. I was never a huge reader as a kid/adolescent.

Eh. Once you get to page 800 of The Stand, you generally won't give a shit anyway. Might as well switch to Infinite Jest. ;)

Vinci said:
Eh. Once you get to page 800 of The Stand, you generally won't give a shit anyway. Might as well switch to Infinite Jest. ;)
I'm at page 787. Let's see if my feelings change in the next 13 pages. :p

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I finished George Pelecanos' The Turnaround the other night, so I've moved onto the two books that came in yesterday's mail:

34h7zg7.jpg

Call Me by Your Name is, I believe, the first "gay" novel I've read, and it seems pretty solid so far. I like the way it's written and how the story is strongly based on the idea of memories... The Cassavetes book I haven't done more than flip through briefly, but I'm hoping it can provide me with an ever greater appreciation for his films.

besada

Banned
Anobyl said:
I'm open to other suggestions too.

Mother Night's really good. As is Bluebeard, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, Deadeye Dick, Hocus Pocus, and Breakfast of Champions (although I'd save it until you've run into Kilgore Trout a few more times).

I like Player Piano alright, but it's not one of my favorites.

Vinci

Danish
CajoleJuice said:

I predict that your feelings will do a complete 180 within the next seven. By thirteen, you'll want to return the damn thing. :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I tried to start a thread about infinite jest.

:(

someone explain wtf happened.

Anobyl

besada said:
Mother Night's really good. As is Bluebeard, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, Deadeye Dick, Hocus Pocus, and Breakfast of Champions (although I'd save it until you've run into Kilgore Trout a few more times).

I like Player Piano alright, but it's not one of my favorites.

Mother Night it is, thanks. Piano Players dystopia interested me is all.

Cyan said:
Nice. You are now one of the few, a member of that grand and glorious association of people-who-have-read-Cat's-Cradle. Welcome to the team.
supgle.gif

batbeg

Just made this small haul at Waterstone's. Only wanted one book, it was Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle, but I saw it had a 3 for 2 sticker on it so desperately searched out 2 other books :(

rirvyg.jpg

Ian M. Banks - Consider Phlebas
I have no idea about the author or his works. I tried to figure out if this was a part of a series, couldn't, and decided it sounded intriguing enough. Seems to be a popular author, I've seen his novels at the front of shelves for years, will have to check it out soon.

Joe Haldeman - Peace and War (The Omnibus Edition)
Consists of The Forever War, Forever Free, and Forever Peace. I didn't even read all of the back of the book, I just saw it involved intense sci-fi but the third one seems to take place in the relatively near future, so I thought it seemed good.

Philip K. Dick - The Man in the High Castle
Love Dick <3

I wanted to find something in Asimov's Foundation Saga, but I saw a poster mention to read them in chronological order earlier and I couldn't for the life of me figure that out in the store, so passed it up for now.

I'm still finishing up The Book Thief but will probably move onto The Man in the High Castle by next week.

mike23

Finished these up

mike23 said:

Heat Stroke was ok, not as good as Ill Wind though.

The Way of Shadows was great, loved it the whole way through.

I'm about halfway through Shadow's Edge now and I don't get the hate that I've seen for it. It's certainly different than the first book, but I still like it. I like the angst that develops when you see all the parts of the story at once and a character makes a decision based on wrong or incomplete information.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
CajoleJuice said:

I think I know what he's talking about, the 3rd act in the book is a few notches below the ass kickery of everything before it. I went into The Stand wanting to travel with these characters, seeing this desolate outcome. The coming together and rebuilding is just the natural progression for the story but that segment can be boring at times. But definitely finish it!

Clockwork

I'm currently reading World War Z. So far it's great and definitely meets my expectations from previous things I had heard about it...

FirewalkR

batbeg said:
Just made this small haul at Waterstone's. Only wanted one book, it was Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle, but I saw it had a 3 for 2 sticker on it so desperately searched out 2 other books :(

Ian M. Banks - Consider Phlebas
I have no idea about the author or his works. I tried to figure out if this was a part of a series, couldn't, and decided it sounded intriguing enough. Seems to be a popular author, I've seen his novels at the front of shelves for years, will have to check it out soon.

Consider Phlebas is the first in the Culture series and it's still one of my favorites, along with The Player of Games. The Use of Weapons is pretty close too, although it seems to be the favorite of a lot of people. Go here for to learn more about it and see the list of novels.

deadbeef

031286504x01lzzzzzzz.jpg

So I watched I Am Legend last night. The premise was interesting, but the movie wasn't that great. So I started digging around - I didn't know that there was a book. So I picked up the book today and wow - the book is lots different than the movie. Hell, I thought it was about zombies, not vampires! :lol What did they do to the movie? smh Book is so much better.

john-adams.jpg

I love reading about the Founding Fathers, and McCullough is great.

FnordChan

batbeg said:
I wanted to find something in Asimov's Foundation Saga, but I saw a poster mention to read them in chronological order earlier and I couldn't for the life of me figure that out in the store, so passed it up for now.

I'd strongly encourage you to read Foundation (and, really, any other series) in publication order, not chronological order. In this case, you'd want to start with Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation, all of which are likely available as an omnibus Foundation Trilogy edition of some sort. In the meantime, you've got some great books to read.

FnordChan

batbeg

FnordChan said:
I'd strongly encourage you to read Foundation (and, really, any other series) in publication order, not chronological order. In this case, you'd want to start with Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation, all of which are likely available as an omnibus Foundation Trilogy edition of some sort. In the meantime, you've got some great books to read.

FnordChan

Oh, haha, oops, I totally meant to say publication order. But yes, this is the obvious way of doing things but I will definitely do it the right way in the future.

FirewalkR said:
Consider Phlebas is the first in the Culture series and it's still one of my favorites, along with The Player of Games. The Use of Weapons is pretty close too, although it seems to be the favorite of a lot of people. Go here for to learn more about it and see the list of novels.

Sweet, so I picked up the first one by total mistake.

gdt

batbeg said:
Oh, haha, oops, I totally meant to say publication order. But yes, this is the obvious way of doing things but I will definitely do it the right way in the future.

Sweet, so I picked up the first one by total mistake.

Lol, it must've been me who said it.

Yes, you should absolutely read the books in publication order. Here, let me post a list,

The Robot novels
I, Robot (1950) [The Complete Robot might be more suitable.]
The Caves of Steel (1954)
The Naked Sun (1957)
The Robots of Dawn (1983)
Robots and Empire (1985)

The Galactic Empire Series
The Stars, Like Dust (1951)
The Currents of Space (1952)
Pebble in the Sky (1950), his first novel

The Foundation Series
Prelude to Foundation (1988)
Forward the Foundation (1991)
[edit]The Foundation Trilogy
Foundation (1951)
Foundation and Empire (1952)
Second Foundation (1953)
Foundation's Edge (1982)
Foundation and Earth (1986)

All of these together are commonly called The FOUNDATION UNIVERSE. Again, publication order.

Might as well go ahead and read the rest of his fiction novels. Especially The Gods Themselves.

If you wish, afterwards, his autobiographies are outstanding as well.

Fritz

just returned from the fleamarket here in Berlin which has a great selection on books. This time I got a copy of

The Ladies of the Corridor by Dorothy Parker
ladies_cover02.jpg

And Joseph von Westphalen's "Warum ich trotzdem Seitensprünge mache" roughly translates to "Why I'll have an infidelity anyway". He is basically ranting about the smugness in German society, very funny though.

mike23

Finished up
33567719.JPG

I can't say that it was as good as the first one, but it was right up there. I'll probably finish the last one by the end of the week.

I was thinking about picking up the Codex Alera series next, anyone have any thoughts on it?

Aegus

batbeg said:
Joe Haldeman - Peace and War (The Omnibus Edition)
Consists of The Forever War, Forever Free, and Forever Peace. I didn't even read all of the back of the book, I just saw it involved intense sci-fi but the third one seems to take place in the relatively near future, so I thought it seemed good.

Forever War is great. You're in for a treat.

FnordChan

mike23 said:
I was thinking about picking up the Codex Alera series next, anyone have any thoughts on it?

The Codex Alera novels are not what you would call the most original fantasy books in the world. See, in a vaguely post-Roman Empire fantasy world where almost everyone has a power associated with one of the elements, our hero is a peasant kid who has no power at all. However, he does have a destiny! Yeah, you know the drill. That said, Jim Butcher does a great job of writing compelling characters and fast paced action, so even if the basic plot ain't unique the series is fun and addictive. It's also almost wrapped up, with the final volume due out later this year (I believe) so you won't be cooling your heels for ages waiting on a resolution. I've enjoyed the hell out of 'em and recommend giving the series a shot.

FnordChan

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

9780006550686.jpg

Postcolonial fiction about twins in India.

Mao II by Don DeLillo

maoii_first_brit.jpeg

Postmodern fiction about a frustrated author, crowds and terrorism. About half-way through but very good. I have read about 7 DeLillo books over the summer; this one is a stand out so far.

And then on to: Finnegans Wake by James Joyce

md0140062866.jpg

Starting a Masters in Lit this fall...should be fun!

commissar

I've started Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series.

Super awesome pulp sci-fi from the 1960s, the first book (The Stainless Steel Rat) was an excellent throwaway tale of derring-do!

Trying to track down the sequels, though I heard they got pretty dire towards the end.

nyong

Banned
Space Cadet said:
And then on to: Finnegans Wake by James Joyce

I hope this is for one of your classes. I can't imagine reading anything by James Joyce for pleasure aside from A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Salazar

The Brain-Dead Megaphone by George Saunders. It is brilliant, in particular the piece about Dubai.

Can't wait to get into some of his fiction. Man has talent.

FnordChan

Tisan said:

Super awesome pulp sci-fi from the 1960s, the first book (The Stainless Steel Rat) was an excellent throwaway tale of derring-do!

Trying to track down the sequels, though I heard they got pretty dire towards the end.

They really do. The first three are great and the next two or three are okay. At that point you should absolutely stop, and if you aren't feeling it anymore a book or two earlier, don't bother trying to push it any further.

FnordChan

besada

Banned
Tisan said:

Sweet. I grew up reading the Stainless Steel Rat. Loved it.

I'm reading Greg Egan's DISTRESS right now, and then I think I'm going to start re-reading the John Carter of Mars series and see if it stands the test of time.

deadbeef

nyong said:
I hope this is for one of your classes. I can't imagine reading anything by James Joyce for pleasure aside from A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Finnegan's Wake is great for putting me to sleep, because it simulates that same whacked out thought process that goes on when you are sort of moving in and out of consciousness.

nyong said:

Nope, just for fun. I know that I probably won't make it very far into it, but you never know. I like the really challenging stuff: Gravity's Rainbow, Infinite Jest...

Going to start up Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum tomorrow.

Excellent book. Just push through the first couple of chapters and you should be fine.

Fireblend

Banned
Big-E said:
Going to start up Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum tomorrow.
It's an awesome book, probably my favorite novel. Incredibly tiring and unforgiving though, hopefully you've got the time it's required to pour into the book. You won't regret it though, it's a great read.

Just finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle; really liked it; which of Murakami's book would GAF have me read next? After I'm done with some others I want to read, of course. Speaking of which, I'd like GAF's input on these:

• House of Leaves
  • The Colour of Magic
  • American Gods
  • Dune
  • The Sandman series

Also been thinking about non-fiction like Carl Sagan's books(actually now I'm going through my friend's copy of 'Cosmos') or something like A Brief History of Time (already read it from another friend's copy a few years ago, wouldn't mind a repeat).... how's The Hero With A Thousand Faces?

Timber

nyong said:
Or Dubliners. Or Ulysses. Even Finnegans Wake I found very enjoyable, despite the incomprehensible plot, for its adventurous use of language and prose that make it almost like hearing a great piece of music. It evokes senses that other novels and pieces of writing leave untouched, and is a rewarding read even if you don't understand some, or most, of it.

But really, say what you will about Finnegans; there's no denying the profound genius of his earlier works. And it's no wonder the idea that reading Joyce cannot possibly be enjoyable is so prevalent among a generation reading him only for academic purposes while gobbling up dreck like Cormac McCarthy and World War Z and whatnot in their free time.

X26

Banned
Just Finished "The Name of the Wind", and I hated it.

Book is 660p, which is about 400p too long considering how uneventful it is. Extremely generic, countless elements ripped from Harry Potter, with terribly written and unintersting characters, especially the incredibly unlikable main character. If it wans't for my inability to stop reading soemtihng after I've started, I wouldn't have bothered finishing it

Undeux

Finished the Dark Tower - END SPOILERS
I see why people were frustrated with the ending, and I didn't like how it was done, but I think the hatred of the last book is pretty overstated. That said, what the fuck? Doesn't the ending just introduce a huge plot point that has no prior indication in the series? I think it would've been a fine ending with better planning, but the horn is a big deal? The fucking horn? Since when? Just because it's in the Browning poem? And what's he redeeming himself for? I don't mind what he chose to do with the ending, but god I would've been pissed if I'd been reading the series for 20 years.

Aside from trying to figure out what the hell that means, I'm reading The Black Swan (makes me feel dumb) and The Shock Doctrine, which makes me kind of mad. Both are great so far.

AnkitT

5l44k2.jpg

Just started reading it. Not a big bookworm, but I find this book very interesting. Have set a target to read at least one book every month. Last month I completed reading 1984, and loved it!

nyong

Banned
Timber said:
Or Dubliners. Or Ulysses.

I haven't read Dubliners, but Ulysses was really, really hard to read. I felt like an idiot until our professor told us it's one of the hardest books to read in the English language. The amount of vocabulary Joyce uses borders on ridiculous.

Finnegan's Wake was almost unreadable. The stream of consciousness thing is interesting and all, but the purpose of grammar and syntax is to make a writer's thoughts understandable to other people. We might think all disjointed-like in our heads, but it makes perfect sense to us because we're thinking it. If we thought like Finnegan's Wake reads, we'd be constantly confusing ourselves.

Anyhow, I don't get the appeal of Joyce. It's like he purposely made his books inaccessible to the average person. To me that doesn't make them better. And I realize that talking about Ulysses in such a way in almost blasphemous. :D

Well, now that I can finally post, I thought I'd start off in my favorite thread.

I would really like to thank whoever mentioned Infinite Summer in the last topic, I believe. I'd heard of Wallace before, but hadn't gotten around to reading any of his works, and I was intrigued enough (mostly by the length) that I took the plunge.

Anyway, I started Infinite Jest on the set day and ended up finishing it a couple days ago. Read like five hundred pages during a long car ride, which I kind of regret now because I simply miss reading it. Just amazing, in pretty much every respect, and I look forward to discussing it with the other people reading here.

Quazar

Finished last couple I recently posted. So I've moved on to:

51TN0JKG4FL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

41kl%2BYNHhPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Anyone know of a good book on health? One that doesn't focus on losing weight. A good summary of info. if anything.

mike23

Just finished the third book of the Night Angel Trilogy and god damn did I love this series. I thoroughly enjoyed the author's writing style. I really liked how he presented the story from all angles so that you could see everything converging on one point where you find out the place in the story of everything you've been told prior. I feel like I really grew attached to the characters and I was interested in how they were changing. Especially Dorian throughout the third book
as he progressed from Dorian to a Godking similar to his father and then back into madness.

I just wish that it didn't have to be a trilogy. I wouldn't mind another couple books set some time in their future, maybe the downfall of the Sa'kagé. Maybe some prequel going back to (first book spoiler)
Durzo and friends' first encounters with the Ka'kari, the creation of the 6 new Ka'kari and the origin of the black one.
I don't really care what it's about, if he writes it, I'll read it.

Top Bottom