• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 09)

Undeux said:
Bleh. That's almost a point against McCarthy.

No it isn't. If anyone would hate the guy, you'd expect Bloom. And Bloom really isn't that bad, he's incredibly intelligent, he just loves his ideas very dearly. But when he truly loves a work of fiction few can talk about why with such a deep understanding. His interview on the AVclub about Blood Meridian was really enjoyable.

Vinci said:
It's not so much that I think Brief Interviews is the greatest thing ever, but it gives me some idea as to the sort of writer I'm dealing with - and I think it illustrates enough distinctiveness to make him appealing. I like when authors try some crazy, kooky shit and it pays off, though Wallace is able to do this more satisfactorily than most due to

Actually, 'The Depressed Person' really sticks in my memory as being excellent, so I'm not trying to be overly hard on Hideous Men. Fun fact: John K. (Jim on The Office) wrote and directed an adaption of the Hideous Men portion of the stories, which has been done forever, basically; not sure what's going to come of it...

Vinci

Danish
sparky2112 said:
Actually, 'The Depressed Person' really sticks in my memory as being excellent, so I'm not trying to be overly hard on Hideous Men. Fun fact: John K. (Jim on The Office) wrote and directed an adaption of the Hideous Men portion of the stories, which has been done forever, basically; not sure what's going to come of it...

wikipedia said:
A filmed adaption of Brief Interviews, directed by John Krasinski, was released in 2009 and premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. The film stars Julianne Nicholson and an ensemble cast including Christopher Meloni, Rashida Jones, Timothy Hutton, Josh Charles and Will Forte.

Hopefully it sees a DVD release.

One more 'DFW at the movies' blurb from me and then I'll shut up (and I'm nowhere near the first person to make this connection): People either want to see IJ on the big screen or claim that it can't be done, to which many people reply, 'Well, The Royal Tannenbaums comes pretty damn close.' I don't know if Wes Anderson has ever admitted reading IJ, but if he denied it, he was lying. :D

Flo_Evans

Salazar said:
Nicholson Baker's 'The Mezzanine'. The style, the footnotes, the immense pleasure in detail: all of these things will slow you right down.

Opps I forgot I also ordered The Shock Doctrine and The Myth of the Irrational Market. Just came today in a separate shipment. Thanks for the suggestion though I will put it in the cue.

I guess I need to put some Cormac McCarthy and David Foster Wallace on the list of authors to check out too.

It's kind of refreshing to get back into novels. I read allot as a kid (mostly Asimov and assigned HS classics) but kind of fell out of it when I could afford more flashy forms of entertainment like games and movies.

Undeux

VistraNorrez said:
No it isn't. If anyone would hate the guy, you'd expect Bloom. And Bloom really isn't that bad, he's incredibly intelligent, he just loves his ideas very dearly. But when he truly loves a work of fiction few can talk about why with such a deep understanding. His interview on the AVclub about Blood Meridian was really enjoyable.

I was mostly kidding, I totally agree that he knows what he's talking about and him being an advocate for McCarthy is a good thing. I just find him annoying. :)

I've also jumped on the Infinite Jest bandwagon after hearing so many good things about it.

ldymiriya

Neo Member
My attention span seems lacking these days so I've been focusing on H.P. Lovecraft's short story collections. Also, re-reading Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. (I read during Sims 3 loading screens!)

I also just finished the first three books of The Tales of the Otori collection by Lian Hearn. Young adult, set in a fictional world based on Japanese history and culture. Great for lovers of manga in the vein of Rurouni Kenshin, in my opinion.

movie_club

Yay! first post. You have no idea how long ive been waiting to post in this thread! Thanks for all the great suggestions guys! especially the Road. Anyway this is what im reading for now...

Nakedcoverc11418.jpg

Pretty good so far, this is my second Sedaris book. I just saw him at Strand bookstore in NYC and heard this one was good, so ill let you know!

NimbusD

Finally got into 'On the Road' by Jack Keruac. I've read the first few chapters like a million times before but for some reason this time it just clicked and I'm zipping through it.

Uncle

Uncle said:
I think I'll start Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie today. The book I started last month isn't very good. It's only 300 or so pages and I'm halfway through, but I just don't feel like reading it at all.

Finished this in a week. Couldn't put it down. Really liked it.
Nicomo Cosca is probably my favourite character in these books now. Such an endearing scumbag.

I'm starting Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds today. Because it has a shiny cover.

For Want Of

Neo Member
Freedom Evolves by Daniel Dennett

I was hoping this book would change my views on the free will debate. I'm halfway through, but it's not looking good.

I spent most of June reading The Epic of Latin America by John A. Crow and only finished it earlier this month.

2721.160.jpg

I avoided reading this for the longest time because it was a birthday gift from an ex. It turns out I had cheated myself out of one of the most compelling reads I'd had in a long time.

The book is essentially a crash-course in Latin American history, ranging from pre-columbian times through to about ten years ago. The book doesn't read so much like a history book, but more of an overarching story, with common threads linking each chapter it feels like a full picture emerges.

It concentrates more on the histories of the "major" countries than anything else and does tend to tell the story from a North-American perspective, but what ground it did cover was done very well. I wouldn't have minded a more indepth treatment of the "minor" countries (Ecuador, Uruguay, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Costa Rica, Cuba, Haiti etc.), but what can you do?

The rest of the time has been pretty idle, though I did manage to read Stardust by Neil Gaiman and Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.

Stardust_UnabridgedCD_1185501006.jpg

Stardust was fantastic, if a bit short. It's somewhat different to the movie in several respects, but it was just as good in many ways and better in others. Neil Gaiman has a very easygoing, conversational style of writing and he doesn't waste words. The pacing on this book was tight. I recommend it to anyone, especially fans of the movie.

howls-moving-castle.jpg

Howl's Moving Castle the novel has a much better constructed narrative than the Miyazaki movie, without any of the preachy anti-war overtones. It fully explains some of the things that were only hinted at in the book and fleshes out the characters much better. It's a fun, lighthearted story, but I felt as though it was a little rushed toward the end - as though the author were running out of time or words. Some of the "big reveals" should have happened earlier, when they would have made sense.

Still, it's a must-read for fans of the movie.

Uncle

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Stardust was fantastic, if a bit short. It's somewhat different to the movie in several respects, but it was just as good in many ways and better in others. Neil Gaiman has a very easygoing, conversational style of writing and he doesn't waste words. The pacing on this book was tight. I recommend it to anyone, especially fans of the movie.

Was it the illustrated version? Because that is the definitive one.

I almost forgot. I also read Affluenza - it's a book about how an addiction to prosperity is pervading and destroying Australian society. Good read, if a little out of date and preachy with its anti right-wing political agenda.

affluenza_cover.jpg

BruceLeeRoy said:
pillars-of-the-earth.jpg

Just started about a week ago and can't put it down.

I just read a couple reviews on Amazon on it and all I could gather is its a book about another book that some kid has to protect or something. Couldn't find anything really compelling in the synopsis but anyone that claims its their favorite book of all time makes me want to check it out.

What about the book was so great?
It's good. Damn good. Not always so believable (I found Ellen to be an inconsistent character, for instance), but good. The sequel's better.

ronito said:
Let me know how it is. I tried and tried with Gai-Jin but I couldn't make it through.

As for me:
31sVDOVgIyL._SL500_AA180_.jpg

Man it's a slog. But it's nice to actually get around to the source of the legends.
Read that years ago. I hated it. Whoever wrote it seemed to be writing about random stories they'd heard and tried to put them together, but the whole things seemed... boring and slapdash.

Scribble said:
Herodotus's The Histories.

Such an entertaining book, surprisingly! So scandalous!
Yes! One of my favourites.

Uncle said:
Was it the illustrated version? Because that is the definitive one.
It was just the paperback, unfortunately. I still enjoyed it.

fily

Banned
Y: The Last Man First Volume... I actually haven't started, but I have it on my bedside table. Going to start tomorrow morning.

y_the_last_man.jpg

Manus

3739_us.jpg

My second time reading through this book. I would highly reccommend this book who likes mystery or anything sci-fi. I've enjoyed every book Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have written.

Aesius

Vinci said:
Eh. Once you get to page 800 of The Stand, you generally won't give a shit anyway. Might as well switch to Infinite Jest. ;)

Hah, I am at exactly page 800 and QFMFT.

The end is so close....yet so far away. I really don't give a shit about half of these characters anymore.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The 1000 pages was worth it for the Vermont Plague Center part of the story and Trashcan Man getting anally raped with the barrel of a gun.

DiegoXJ

just finished

51WF7%2BtaI-L._SS500_.jpg

a4a0828fd7a092ef9fd17110.L._AA240_.jpg

right before those i cut through these.

51JQxyyzNNL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51qmyA12VWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

gotta order up the next one in the series, also interested in checking out some of Chuck Palahniuk's stuff.

Also looking forward to more of Glen Cook's Instrumentalities of the Night series.

Flangus

Neo Member
Just finished The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes. It's a revisionist history of the Great Depression that quite thoroughly explains how BOTH Hoover and FDR made the Depression a hell of a lot worse. And I say that as a former Hillary intern. I highly recommend it.

Now I'm trying to decide what to read on a long flight to Israel: Should I continue the revisionist Depression history theme with Jim Powell's FDR's Folly or read Woodward's Bush at War?

Proc

41LvUyKHUHL._SS500_.jpg

It was given to me on my birthday. I've been reading it in chunks. It's ideal for spending about 30 minutes with to progress through one of the partitioned real world case studies. I'm enjoying it a lot. If you want more impressions, the out of the game guys discussed it a few podcasts ago. If you have any interest in neuroscience or modern psychology, then you definitely need to give this one a shot.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Luthair said:
warbreaker.jpg

He worked with Robert Jordan during the WOT times.

Actually, he was contacted after Jordan's death to finish the WOT books, which he's working on now. I'm currently about 75 pages into Sanderson's Mistborn series, which is a lot of fun so far.

Also, you're stealing my bandwidth for that picture!

Oli

3727661962_47947cb9b3.jpg

So far it's been a pretty quick read, though I've been reading at a slow pace. It's almost identical to the Anime as well.

Aesius

BlueTsunami said:
The 1000 pages was worth it for the Vermont Plague Center part of the story and Trashcan Man getting anally raped with the barrel of a gun.

Definitely. The Lincoln Tunnel scene as well.

Is your avatar supposed to be The Kid? :lol

bengraven

aidan said:
Actually, he was contacted after Jordan's death to finish the WOT books, which he's working on now. I'm currently about 75 pages into Sanderson's Mistborn series, which is a lot of fun so far.

Holy shit. :lol

Luthair

aidan said:

Lol sorrrrrrrrry! I changed it to another host :p Hows the book so far? I have only just cracked a few pages.

Mardil

Hey GAF, I'm currently reading the Night Angel Trilogy (about to finish the second book) and I've found them great fun. The thing is, with the Harry Potter craze coming back to me I'm looking for a book series that will make me feel like the HP books did: really caring about the characters, loving the setting, shredding a tear of happiness when looking back at them... etc. Can anyone recommend something?

Ettie

Grad school has ruined pleasure reading for me...but I'm working through World War Z right now. Good stuff.

Ravager61

25786232.JPG

Flew through this in a couple days. It was ok. A lot of the story and characters seemed a little cliche to me, but it was such a quick read I guess it didn't bother me too much. Are the rest of the books in the series better?

The+Blade+Itself.jpg

Ordered this from Amazon. Should be here in a few days.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Luthair said:
Lol sorrrrrrrrry! I changed it to another host :p Hows the book so far? I have only just cracked a few pages.

Heh, I'm just bugging you. I don't actually mind. It was a bit of surprise when I went to quote your post and saw my full name pop up in your img tag!

I haven't had a chance to take a look at Warbreaker yet. It was a toss-up between that and Mistborn. I've only heard great things, though.

Ravager61 said:
25786232.JPG

Flew through this in a couple days. It was ok. A lot of the story and characters seemed a little cliche to me, but it was such a quick read I guess it didn't bother me too much. Are the rest of the books in the series better?

I read and enjoyed Storm Front, but I hear the series only gets better as it goes on. Apparently the third book is where things really kick into high gear.

Ravager61 said:
the-blade-itself.jpg

Ordered this from Amazon. Should be here in a few days.

Heh, this cover is hotlinked from my site also!

Ravager61

aidan said:
Heh, this cover is hotlinked from my site also!

Heh, sorry about that. I know you said you dont mind but I went ahead and changed it. Don't want to inadvertently steal bandwidth from you.

JoeBoy101

Current reading this and its freaking my world out:

410191RD07L._SS500_.jpg

Danielewski's eccentric and sometimes brilliant debut novel is really two novels, hooked together by the Nabokovian trick of running one narrative in footnotes to the other. One-the horror story-is a tour-de-force. Zampano, a blind Angelino recluse, dies, leaving behind the notes to a manuscript that's an account of a film called The Navidson Report. In the Report, Pulitzer Prize-winning news photographer Will Navidson and his girlfriend move with their two children to a house in an unnamed Virginia town in an attempt to save their relationship. One day, Will discovers that the interior of the house measures more than its exterior. More ominously, a closet appears, then a hallway. Out of this intellectual paradox, Danielewski constructs a viscerally frightening experience. Will contacts a number of people, including explorer Holloway Roberts, who mounts an expedition with his two-man crew. They discover a vast stairway and countless halls.

The book is unlike anything I read because the actual word placings, coloring, and narratives begin to shift. Pages become a sentence long, and even go to one word per page. Other times, the story is taking place entirely in the footnotes. A very dense and chewy novel. Highly recommending it so far (3/4 of the way through).

gdt

JoeBoy101 said:
Current reading this and its freaking my world out:

The book is unlike anything I read because the actual word placings, coloring, and narratives begin to shift. Pages become a sentence long, and even go to one word per page. Other times, the story is taking place entirely in the footnotes. A very dense and chewy novel. Highly recommending it so far (3/4 of the way through).

That sounds incredibly cool.

I'll make sure to pick it up today.

Ravager61 said:
25786232.JPG

Yeah, the series keeps improving in leaps and bounds as it goes along. I almost stopped during Summer Knight (the fourth one, and you're only on the second!), but after that it really cements itself as something special.

JoeBoy101 said:

Always hearing good things about this one, but you've just sold me. Hopefully, I'll get into it before uni starts up again.

Dipper145

I just finished reading:
b838fc.jpg

It was excellent, definately would recommend it to everyone. I also highly recommend checking out Frankenstein, and albeit to a lesser extent, The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyl and Mr.Hyde.

and I have just started reading:
2ufseox.jpg

If people are looking for reading awsome classic books on the cheap, you should look into the dover thrift editions. They are mostly <=$4.00 on amazon. Great reads, and useful for when you need that extra couple dollars to get the free super saver shipping.

gdt5016 said:
That sounds incredibly cool.

I'll make sure to pick it up today.

It is cool. The "story within the story" is more interesting than the framing story (and filled with more likable characters), but it's a good read. I should pick something else up by the author someday.

Once Your Lucky, Twice Your Good by Sara Lacy.

AWESOME book about the behind the scenes of how Facebook, Twitter, PayPal and others got their start.

Top Bottom