• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoogoo

zombie-survival.jpg

Spokeys

30w5zl5.jpg

I just borrowed this from a friend today and have only read a handful of pages so far. It's written in the point of view of a young Irish boy who deals with his alcoholic father and emotionally depressed mother.

Alucard

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
You've read The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch yet, Alucard? Its my personal favorite

Yeah, I enjoyed it, but honestly found it a bit too trippy for my tastes. See: I didn't fully understand it and had to do some extra reading after I was finished to understand some of the finer plot points. Heck, a lot of it still doesn't make sense. :p Same with Ubik, but I still enjoyed both a great deal overall. Reading them was like watching a Satoshi Kon anime.

Salazar

I've moved on to 'Backstory: Inside the Business of News' by Ken Auletta. The first chapter, about the NY Times responding to September 11, is absorbing stuff. Very pleased.

bengraven

Spokeys said:
30w5zl5.jpg

I just borrowed this from a friend today and have only read a handful of pages so far. It's written in the point of view of a young Irish boy who deals with his alcoholic father and emotionally depressed mother.

So fucking good.

i just finished reading blink by malcolm gladwell. although i enjoyed it, i cant say that i liked it more than tipping point, which i think was just written and organized a little bit better. i cant wait to read outliers once it comes out on paperback. up next for me is the road by cormac mccarthy.

Masked Man

I said wow
About to start this:

11.jpg

Mishima Yukio - Patriotism (三島由紀夫 - 憂国)

The cool thing is that I will be reading a side-by-side translation of the novel, using the English as reference for whatever I don't understand. I will likewise have an opportunity make direct comparisons between the style of the work between the two languages. Afterward, I will be watching the film that Mishima did toward the end of his life.

I'm really excited! :D Mishima = <333

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Alucard said:
Yeah, I enjoyed it, but honestly found it a bit too trippy for my tastes. See: I didn't fully understand it and had to do some extra reading after I was finished to understand some of the finer plot points. Heck, a lot of it still doesn't make sense. :p Same with Ubik, but I still enjoyed both a great deal overall. Reading them was like watching a Satoshi Kon anime.

The disjointed feeling of it is why I dug it but I can see how it can be a turnoff (like Ubik too, definitely). I'll probably read his other entries later on (been wanting to read Valis).

On another note, I came back from the library with some Greek Mythology

3611896363_16c226750a.jpg

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Just finished the Night Angel series and this showed up today!!!!

61a39PcYJQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Going to dive in tonight

Movement

Identical Ellen Hopkins.
It's pretty provacative, and don't make fun of me I like these types of books, I read smart people books too, I swear!

identical.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
FnordChan said:
jest1221365735.jpg

I've had my copy gathering dust since 1996, when I bought it, got a couple of hundred pages in, and then was distracted with the minor detail of trying to graduate from college. I figure this is as good a time as ever to try to jump back in and will be starting it up shortly.

FnordChan

do it do it

I´m about 300 pages in and it´s really picking up steam. those first 300 were a slog though. everything starts to link up a bit now though and once they start talking a bit more about ´the entertainment´it gets very interesting.

amazingly complex book though. wordy! but I´m starting to really love it.

Undeux

BlueTsunami said:
Sheeeeeiiiiiiiitttt

I just finished Wizards and Glass just yesterday
Started the second book a few days ago and loving it. I'm really glad I didn't quit halfway through the first book like I kind of wanted to. I can see myself running through the whole series if the second book stays this good.

coldvein

Banned
Put me in with the Dark Tower crew. Juuuust about to finish the first book (started it yesterday). It's.. okay. I suppose i'll read the next one. I don't know anybody else who has read all of these..can someone give some overall impressions of the series? is it good? great? worth my time?

Undeux

coldvein said:
Put me in with the Dark Tower crew. Juuuust about to finish the first book (started it yesterday). It's.. okay. I suppose i'll read the next one. I don't know anybody else who has read all of these..can someone give some overall impressions of the series? is it good? great? worth my time?
I can't speak for the whole series, but I'm halfway through the second book and it's a HUGE improvement. I'd explain but I don't want to spoil anything. It feels like it was written by a completely different writer.

Costanza

Banned
coldvein said:
it's been a long time since i've read them, but..

book 1: decent
book 2: great
book 3: great
book 4: probably my favorite book, ever
book 5: decent
book 6: decent
book 7: mostly great, ending is divisive

coldvein

Banned
Costanza said:

book 1: decent
book 4: probably my favorite book, ever
book 5: decent
book 7: mostly great, ending is divisive

Hmmkay. Guess I'll give them a shot..got nothin to do this summer. : \

Reza_Neko

I'm reading "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Macguire. It's like a prequal to the Wizard of Oz. This is my 3rd or fourth time trying to read the whole thing. Usually, I stop at the same point, but this time, I've vowed to finish it so that I can read the sequal, "Son of a Witch". Soon, I'll start rereading "Howl's Moving Castle" (from the point where I had to leave off when I borrowed it from a friend; had to stop because of all the school work).

2qnqwt5.jpg

2duzgh.jpg

BlueTsunami

coldvein said:

Its definitely something that grows on you. After having read Wizard and Glass, I'm that more attached to Roland. King handles the characters wonderfully.

dLMN8R

Every single book in The Dark Tower series is like nothing else that came before it in the series. Every book has its own method of storytelling, completely different type of plot, and even a different style of writing, dialog, and dialects.

Remember - this is a series that King started in the 1970s and didn't finish until 2004. You're in for a treat, and if you've only read the first book or two, you honestly have no freaking clue about the craziness that's in store.

I just started the last book as I mentioned earlier, and Wizard and Glass is probably my favorite. But that's quite the accomplishment because Wolves of the Calla and Song of Susannah are incredible accomplishments in their own ways.

nitewulf

Blackace said:
Just finished the Night Angel series and this showed up today!!!!

61a39PcYJQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Going to dive in tonight
best served cold's out already? awesome!!

i've been on a Preacher kick...so, sooooooo, good!

currently reading When Gravity Fails...

nitewulf

coldvein said:
trust me, book 4 - wizard and glass is...mindblowing. aside from that i'd say

1 - as an intro, its ok - nothing happens, thats the problem
2 - great
3 - great
4 - greatest
5 - good, it really is just 7 Samurai in the Dark Tower setting
6 - bad
7 - good

I'm currently reading and enjoying Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton, the sequel to Pandora's Star. So far I'm really enjoying Judas Unchained. Its kind of a slow start, but I read a reader review that said while the book is slow to pick up, once it does it never lets go. Which is what I like in a book. After Judas Unchained I'll be reading Spin by Robert Charles Wilson, the Hyperion cantos by Dan Simmons, the Dune books by Frank Herbert, and then A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. Also I'll be reading some horror books too.

nyong

Banned
I have a 7-page paper to write today and tomorrow, then I'm starting...

cover-TheRoad-blaze.jpg

It's been sitting on my shelf forever.

Falch

Finished up the Forever War. Excellent analogy to the Vietnam War, in particulair.

Starting with Consider Phlebas. My first Culture novel, or Banks novel for that matter. I have high expectations.

dLMN8R

nitewulf said:
trust me, book 4 - wizard and glass is...mindblowing. aside from that i'd say

1 - as an intro, its ok - nothing happens, thats the problem
2 - great
3 - great
4 - greatest
5 - good, it really is just 7 Samurai in the Dark Tower setting
6 - bad
7 - good
fail

:D

<3 Song of Susannah

BlueTsunami

I've read reviews stating how they HATE Wizard and Glass, can't see how that's possible. I guess being pulled into a 700pg long origins story would turn people off but it really builds up Roland and who he is.

Though, I found the
Wizard of Oz scenario kind of corny
. I wish Roland still had Cuthbert and Alain by his side.

nyong

Banned
Do the Dark Tower series pick up after the first book? I read it and was bored out of my mind. Like nothing noteworthy seems to happen.

nyong said:
Do the Dark Tower series pick up after the first book? I read it and was bored out of my mind. Like nothing noteworthy seems to happen.

From what I've heard the first book isn't anything special. It doesn't pick up until the second book. I think even Stephen King has said that.

nitewulf

BlueTsunami said:
Though, I found the
Wizard of Oz scenario kind of corny
. I wish Roland still had Cuthbert and Alain by his side.
read the graphic novels after you're done, the first one IS Wiz & Glass, and the second one is all new...they continue the trio's adventures after the events of wizard & glass.

dLMN8R,
i hated the whole susannah/mia duality...intesting to build a few chapters, but a whole book? fuck that shit.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Fanboydestroyer said:
From what I've heard the first book isn't anything special. It doesn't pick up until the second book. I think even Stephen King has said that.

The Gunslinger is the best of the Dark Tower books...it has the most charm and is the most dream like.

Anyway I just picked up Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.

Much better than the Jane Austen original.

besada

Banned
I'll finish IN THE NIGHT ROOM by Straub tonight. It's easily the weirdest of his last four or five novels. He's been playing with metanarrative in all of them, including claiming that MYSTERY was written by Tim Underhill (a character) and himself, but this one just opens all the windows and gets busy with it. I found myself four layers of metanarrative deep last night, feeling terrible for the character, of a character, of a character, of Straub's.

Not to mention that the book contains a sex scene between a writer and one of his own characters. I'll have to wait until Fall for more Strauby-goodness.

Next on the block, I'll be reading YES MAN, in an attempt to counterbalance my legendary negativity.

At the same time I'm reading a bunch of non-fiction regarding demonology, pickpockets, the Crimean War, and magical systems for the novel I'm about to start writing.

newsguy

forrest_griffin_book_cover.jpg

He's actually very funny, but I also realized this is an actual martial arts book :lol It has a ton of stories and whatnot, but it does get technical about facets of the fight game.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Costanza said:

book 1: Poor + confusing
book 4: probably one of my favorite books, ever
book 5: meh
book 7: mostly great, ending is utterly perfect

My take.

Vinci

Danish
Just finished reading 2001 again for the hundredth time, I think, and started Hyperspace by Michio Kaku immediately after it. I'm into space right now for some reason.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Falch said:
Finished up the Forever War. Excellent analogy to the Vietnam War, in particulair.

Starting with Consider Phlebas. My first Culture novel, or Banks novel for that matter. I have high expectations.

I love the first 3 culture books so much. Each are quite different.

BlueTsunami said:
I wish Roland still had Cuthbert and Alain by his side.

There are implications that
Eddie is a Cuthbert Twinner

As for the series. I loved it, all of it, the original Gunslinger and the Revised one, they peaked at book 4 but maintained that momentum all the way to the end of book 7 (and the ending was perfect). I wonder if he'll ever do the full series revision, he doesn't need to, but I'd appreciate the extra cohesion.

The comic series is great as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom