• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2011)

Kusagari

Toby said:
I've been reading this as well and thought the same. I really quite liked the previous two, but this one seems overly dramatic and quite a bit less interesting than the others.

Sad to hear. I'm reading The Hunger Games right now and really liking it.

Just finished Animal Farm for the second time. Hadn't read it since high school. I definitely appreciated it more this time around.

Salazar

Mifune said:
For sure. If you like Borges, you should check out Perec. Borges was clearly a HUGE influence on him.

Perec was an unbearably strong influence on a short story I had to (very awkwardly, face to face) reject for a literary journal a few years back.

The man himself was talented, though.

I'm reading the latest Malazan. Didn't make a hell of a lot of sense to begin with, but I'm hoping things clear up.

Random question - about how big would you say a 15 to 20 hour audiobook is?

Since you get two free books I think I'll sign up for the audible free trial but I only have an 8gig ipod touch so I wondering if I could even fit it on there.

Anyone use audible? Yea / Nay? I figure I'll sign up, get my two free books, and then cancel and if I like them maybe I'll renew in the future. I just hope their aren't any hidden charges for quiting the free trial

Dresden said:
Finished Motherless Brooklyn. It was pretty damn good. Lionel was amusing enough to carry the show.

I'm halfway through this myself. It's good, for sure, but I can't help but think that it wouldn't have made half the stink it did if it wasn't by a critics darling like Lethem.

cajunator

Banned
Narag said:
I recommend a glossary link or something similar for your book club thread, Cyan. The book is great but can almost be disorienting with the heavy nautical terminology and I don't think every edition has a glossary.

This was lifted from goodreads:

GW521H427

1. Flying jib
2. Jib
3. Fore topmast staysail
4. Fore staysail
5. Foresail or Fore course
6. Fore topsail
7. Fore topgallant
8. Main staysail
9. Main topmast staysail
10.Middle staysail
11.Main topgallant staysail
13.Mainsail or Main course
14. Main topsail
15. Main topgallant
16. Mizzen staysail
17. Mizzen topmast staysail
18. Mizzen topgallant staysail
19. Mizzen sail
20. Spanker
21. Mizzen topsail
22. Mizzen topgallant

So thats where " I like the cut of your jib" comes from!

Just finished

51H3VguKncL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I had tried in the past to get through it, but couldn't do it. I enjoyed it, and was really impressed with how real the world Tolkien created is. I'll get around to TTT and RoTK, but only after I finish a Dance with Dragons.

To pass the time, I'm going to be reading this:

41z8n14UwYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I absolutely loved Bright Lights, Big City and Story of My Life. I actually bought this a long time ago but forgot about it. Enjoyable so far.

Mifune

Mehmber
sparky2112 said:
I'm halfway through this myself. It's good, for sure, but I can't help but think that it wouldn't have made half the stink it did if it wasn't by a critics darling like Lethem.

I think it's a brilliant book. Funny and poignant, and disarmingly low-key.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's the book that made Lethem into a critic's darling. He was a ghetto-ized genre writer before that.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones, by George Martin, Next, by Michael Crichton, and Sabriel, by Garth Nix. At this exact moment, I'm reading Game of Thrones, though. I'll get back to Sabriel and Next after I'm finished.

I'm loving GOT though. It's pretty excellently written so far. According to my Kindle app, I'm about 30% done with it. I'd like to watch the show when I'm done with the book.

TheOddOne

Toby said:
I've been reading this as well and thought the same. I really quite liked the previous two, but this one seems overly dramatic and quite a bit less interesting than the others.
Everybody is panning it. Still have to chug trough the second book, but school is preventing me :(

Gvaz

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:
Random question - about how big would you say a 15 to 20 hour audiobook is?

Since you get two free books I think I'll sign up for the audible free trial but I only have an 8gig ipod touch so I wondering if I could even fit it on there.

Anyone use audible? Yea / Nay? I figure I'll sign up, get my two free books, and then cancel and if I like them maybe I'll renew in the future. I just hope their aren't any hidden charges for quiting the free trial
game of thrones audiobooks are like 700mb~ and are 40 hours iirc

HamPster PamPster said:
I just hope their aren't any hidden charges for quiting the free trial
IIRC you're locked into a year's payment which is ~$140

0ZAVe.jpg

A book which shows how, right from the beginning, liberalism has been quite hypocritical in both calling for equality and freedom, while at the same time defending things like slavery, colonialism, racism and even genocide. It owns if you hate liberalism in its current form, as it gives more fuel to your hate.

Also working my way through the Dresden series of books, which are great pulp entertainment. And i'm waiting for War & Peace to be delivered, but no idea if i ever dare try to tackle that monster.

Holy Shit how amazing was this book.

shadow-of-the-wind.jpg

I absolutely adored every moment of this book. The characters are enthralling the mystery is compelling and the whole thing just feels so original in a way.

I can't think of enough hyperbole to describe my love for this book.

mike23

Gvaz said:
game of thrones audiobooks are like 700mb~ and are 40 hours iirc

IIRC you're locked into a year's payment which is ~$140

No way they would get away with offering a free trial that requires you to pay

Audible said:
Audible® Free Trial Details
* Get your first 30 days of the AudibleListener® Gold membership plan free, which includes one credit, plus a one-time bonus credit. In almost all cases, one credit equals one audiobook. After your 30 day trial, your membership will automatically renew each month for just $14.95, billed to the credit card you used when you registered with Audible. With your membership, you will receive one credit per month plus members-only discounts on all audio purchases. If you cancel your membership before your free trial period is up, you will not be charged. Thereafter, cancel anytime, effective the next billing cycle. See the complete terms and policy applicable to Audible memberships.

http://www.audible.com/amazon

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
BruceLeeRoy said:
Holy Shit how amazing was this book.

shadow-of-the-wind.jpg

I absolutely adored every moment of this book. The characters are enthralling the mystery is compelling and the whole thing just feels so original in a way.

I can't think of enough hyperbole to describe my love for this book.

That is so sexy. Where's that edition from?

It's my favourite book of all time.

aidan said:

I have no idea but I am going to do everything I can to find it. I think this might be the first time I immediately read a book again once I have finished it.

aidan said:

I think the original hardcover edition looked like that. I was working at B&N when it came out and my copy looks just like that. It was pretty fantastic, I should read it again.

Right now I'm reading Under the Dome. Pretty good, but damn, it seems to go on forever and I'm only at 30% (Kindle version).

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
InVinoVeritas said:
I think the original hardcover edition looked like that. I was working at B&N when it came out and my copy looks just like that. It was pretty fantastic, I should read it again.

All beat up like that? Or is that natural wear and tear? I need to hunt down a copy!

Cyan said:
Wow! High praise.

That's on the list of potential future book club choices, just so ya know. ;)

Yeah, I was rather smitten by it. A wonderful choice for the book club.

JonStark said:
Me too, but the "prequel" was SO dissapointing to me :(

I enjoyed it, but it certainly has its share of problems, as does the one Zafon YA novel I've read. I hope his next novel can recapture some of tSotW's magic.

IpsoFacto

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, by Ambrose Bierce.

Ambrose Bierce feels like Edgar Allan Poe, if he had a sense of humor.

I'm also looking into some M.R. James short stories.

Valygar

n5389.jpg

I picked this up since I've read all the popular fantasy books and most of the sci-fi ones, and I've mixed opinions about the series. Sometimes the story itself is very good but the story telling is "average", and sometimes it is plainly boring. Still, it is more good than bad, but with ¿8? more books out there I don't know if I should stop or continue. My main concern is that the plot itself goes on veeeery slowly.

Also,

4120-4132-large.jpg

More interesting than I expected, reading it in case I get an interview for a job in the automotive sector (or else).

Cujshi

Banned
for all those people that like the "mindfuck" genre, and enjoy books that would blow your mind:

98955.jpg

it is a one day read, but boy is it complex. im gonna spoil it a little bit for you, cause you MUST read this book:

it starts with a dude waking up in a room, with no knowledge of how he got there. he is locked, and there is only a bed, desk, and a - PC. with opened chat window. and there are others on chat, with the same experience. :)

aewmj7.jpg

Every time I go to Barns to buy a book I look at Hard-Boiled then decide not to get it because of the weird description. Finally I did pick it up. After finishing it, its one of my favorite books. I never imagined Murakami would write a cyber-punk suspense, but god, I fucking loved the book.

21ke542.jpg

Started reading this today. Its my first Charles Dickens book and I'm very excited :)

Fjordson

Has anyone read the second and third Takeshi Kovacs novels by Richard Morgan? The first being the excellent Altered Carbon. I was a huge fan of that, but I've held off on the other two because all I read everywhere is that they're nothing like the first book and they aren't as good. Is this just internet hyperbole or are they worth skipping?

I loved everything about that first book, so it's a shame if he carried literally nothing over to the last two.

Dresden

Fjordson said:
Has anyone read the second and third Takeshi Kovacs novels by Richard Morgan? The first being the excellent Altered Carbon. I was a huge fan of that, but I've held off on the other two because all I read everywhere is that they're nothing like the first book and they aren't as good. Is this just internet hyperbole or are they worth skipping?

I loved everything about that first book, so it's a shame if he carried literally nothing over to the last two.
They're not bad, just not as good as the first. The third one in particular has some nifty ideas, though.

Joe

is it me or is LOTR way over detailed? i wanna pull my hair out sometimes when he starts describing a hill or a dress.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I've recently read books 1-12 of 'the dresden files' or rather, I'm starting on 12. Amazingly good books, can usually do 1 in around 3-4 days or a weekend. Easy reads, interesting characters and well, I like wizards.

After that it's on to the next ASOIF book I guess! Don't want to start something else before that drops in 12 or so days as that is going to take both time and focus me thinks.

Narag

Doing the Dresden thing myself right now. I didn't care for Blood Rites which was the last I finished but I'll soldier forth and finish out the series.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Fjordson said:

The second one is the best one. The third isn't as good as 1 and 2 but still kicks ass.

You should read Market Forces though. It's better than Kovacs novells in my opinion. I haven't read his other books yet.

wtf happened with him on crysis2?!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Joe said:
is it me or is LOTR way over detailed? i wanna pull my hair out sometimes when he starts describing a hill or a dress.

read Perdido Street Station, hehe.

But LOTRO isn't a modern page-turner. What did you expect?

Cujshi said:
for all those people that like the "mindfuck" genre, and enjoy books that would blow your mind:

98955.jpg

it is a one day read, but boy is it complex. im gonna spoil it a little bit for you, cause you MUST read this book:

it starts with a dude waking up in a room, with no knowledge of how he got there. he is locked, and there is only a bed, desk, and a - PC. with opened chat window. and there are others on chat, with the same experience. :)

Pelevin is the best modern Russian author in my opinion. Nobody explores esotheric and religious themes in such humorous and effortless fashion. There are tons of references and allusions in his books which only a limited number of people can get but books are wildy popular because they can stand on their own even if you don't understand or see these references. Nobody in the world does this if we talk about popular fiction.

Also read Prince of Gosplan. It's an old story built around Prince of Persia (the first game).

Fjordson

subversus said:
The second one is the best one. The third isn't as good as 1 and 2 but still kicks ass.

You should read Market Forces though. It's better than Kovacs novells in my opinion. I haven't read his other books yet.

wtf happened with him on crysis2?!
Interesting. I'll go ahead and check the second one out then, and Market Forces as well.

And yeah, Crysis 2, no clue there lmao. Didn't enjoy the story in that.

Karakand

just trying to make conversation, i'm not a dick *all* the time gosh

i know you have nook and ipad and it's way funnier to read a book proclaiming an ideology independent when it's been largely coopted by the mainline republican machine on a device made by apple--a company that is somehow perceived as "independent" despite being a caricature of the tech establishment--than it is to be reading it on b&n's brave attempt to turn the kindle into kindling.

hope it stays good just want you to be happy :)

Mifune

Mehmber
sparky2112 said:
Y'all see Mr. Stephenson has another whopper (1000+ pages) coming out in September?

Yes, and it sounds fucking awesome. Gold farming, hackers, and terrorist cells. Seems to be Stephenson's take on the Crichton or Clancy thriller.

eznark

Banned
Karakand said:
just trying to make conversation, i'm not a dick *all* the time gosh

i know you have nook and ipad and it's way funnier to read a book proclaiming an ideology independent when it's been largely coopted by the mainline republican machine on a device made by apple--a company that is somehow perceived as "independent" despite being a caricature of the tech establishment--than it is to be reading it on b&n's brave attempt to turn the kindle into kindling.

hope it stays good just want you to be happy :)
I guess you don't know who Gillespie or Welch are?

Recently finished:

51VHpZQ-wEL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-29,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Liked it, didn't love it, but I enjoyed it enough to want to read through the other two of Abercrombie's one offs.

Picked up the LOTR Extended Edition blu-rays yesterday which inspired me to have quick re-read of this:

41g7Z4QJswL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-2,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Bossun

Just finished the fifth witness by Michael Connelly. As usual it's great and I love it

michael-connelly-the-fifth-witness-ebooks-39086.jpg

Now reading :

incubusdreams_big.jpg

And god, why do I keep reading Hamilton, she completely ruined her serie.
The first few books were really good and so promising....

Top Bottom