• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading (June 2012)

Ratrat

Finishing Guns, Germs and Steel and need a new non-fiction audiobook to listen to. Any suggestions?

While minor, id prefer something that Isn't like 50 hours long.

thetechkid

6pNsI.jpg

I know the rest of Gaf was already read through it months ago, but school mang. Afterwards plan on reading the two newest Sigma Force books.

Crub

200px-TWDriseofthegovernor1steditioncover.jpeg

After reading the first compendium I was hungry for some more Walking Dead. It's alright so far.

Fjordson

475a23f97dc6feedd4e87mc8up.jpg

Coming up on the halfway mark. I haven't read a book in months sadly, but this has kickstarted me a bit. Just had to get out of genre fiction for a bit I suppose. An incredibly extensive and interesting look at a part of WWII that I've never looked much into for whatever reason. And it seems like Beevor's other books are pretty well received so I might check out his Fall of Berlin next.

Also was lent the graphic novel Black Hole from my brother. Been ages since I've read a graphic novel and it sounds interesting, so I might get on that soon.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
2012 so far for me:

A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin
Darth Plagueis by James Luceno
The Fifth Woman by Henning Mankell
Memorial Day by Vince Flynn
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (audiobook)
A Very Private Gentleman by Martin Booth

Terror and Liberalism by Paul Berman
Bad Religion by Ross Douthat
The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright
They Knew They Were Right: The Rise of the Necons by Jacob Heilbrunn
The Last Game by Jason Cowley
Baseball Prospectus 2012
And I reread the last 300 or so pages of Master of the Senate by Robert Caro.

Now reading Nixonland by Rick Perlstein and The Silent Oligarch by Chris Morgan Jones.

I'm almost halfway through this and love, love, love it so far.

Wool Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey
Every "chapter" is better than the next. From reading a lot of post-apocolyptic dystopian books, I kind of thought I knew what to expect and in a way, nothing is really *that* groundbreaking, but I really care about the people in the silo.

I'm nearing the end, about 85% complete, really great book. It started a little slow in the beginning but it kept my attention the whole time. Keeps getting better and better from the point you're in. Keep goin!

BTW, I've never got into the game of thrones books or whatever they are, never saw the show either. Are they worth the read? I see a lot of people here reading them so I'm guessing they are. What are they like(without spoilers obviously)?

Mumei

I'm the same way. But I do find it jarring sometimes to from wonderful writing (Ishiguro, Nabokov, etc.) to only so-so writing. I tend to do something like literature, highly-rated sci-fi or fantasy, trashy paranormal romance or fantasy, non-fiction, repeat.

It can be a bit jarring, but I am usually pretty good at modulating my expectation so I still enjoy the books that really aren't as high-quality.

I just find that when I read wonderful writing, oftentimes it is very difficult at first. I have to reread sentences and I make very slow progress. And when I finish, I sometimes don't know how much I enjoyed it immediately after. But then time passes - a few days, a few weeks - and the story stays in my head and I just cannot stop thinking about it, even after having started and finished other books in the meantime. And eventually I find myself going back to the book and flipping it open to a random page and reading it, and I discover that somehow that writing style has finally clicked and I can read it fluently, instead of the jerking and hesitant way I had read it at first.

These days, I usually have a few comics (well, 250+ page collections), a few probable "eh" books, a few really good books, and a few non-fiction books out from the library, and mostly just pick whatever is piquing my interest at the moment.

And right now for me that is the second volume of Three Kingdoms. It is becoming very fun now - multiple plots going on, I finally feel like I have the hang of the principle characters for each of those, characters that I've actually grown attached to (which I worried about when the book first seemed like a parade of morons who got themselves killed through stupid decisions), etc. I should be finishing this volume today, so I will have to make time to go to the library to get the next one.

And per what I was reading in either the Marvel or the general comics recommendation threads (can't remember), I got the Miller (Born Again), Bendis (Daredevil #16 - 19, #26 - 40), and Brubaker (Daredevil 82 - 93)runs on Daredevil that I am quite excited to read.

BTW, I've never got into the game of thrones books or whatever they are, never saw the show either. Are they worth the read? I see a lot of people here reading them so I'm guessing they are. What are they like(without spoilers obviously)?

It's fantasy well-liked by people who aren't even that into fantasy. One way I've seen it described is as political drama that just happens to be in a medieval setting. The characters are interesting and engaging - there isn't a defining line where certain characters are "good" and others are "bad" as is traditional. You should read it.

Fjordson

If you have even the smallest passing interest in fantasy, then absolutely. Easily the best fantasy series out there these days.

Even people I know who never read fantasy are into it, so I'd say it's worth a shot.

Piecake

It can be a bit jarring, but I am usually pretty good at modulating my expectation so I still enjoy the books that really aren't as high-quality.

I just find that when I read wonderful writing, oftentimes it is very difficult at first. I have to reread sentences and I make very slow progress. And when I finish, I sometimes don't know how much I enjoyed it immediately after. But then time passes - a few days, a few weeks - and the story stays in my head and I just cannot stop thinking about it, even after having started and finished other books in the meantime. And eventually I find myself going back to the book and flipping it open to a random page and reading it, and I discover that somehow that writing style has finally clicked and I can read it fluently, instead of the jerking and hesitant way I had read it at first.

These days, I usually have a few comics (well, 250+ page collections), a few probable "eh" books, a few really good books, and a few non-fiction books out from the library, and mostly just pick whatever is piquing my interest at the moment.

And right now for me that is the second volume of Three Kingdoms. It is becoming very fun now - multiple plots going on, I finally feel like I have the hang of the principle characters for each of those, characters that I've actually grown attached to (which I worried about when the book first seemed like a parade of morons who got themselves killed through stupid decisions), etc. I should be finishing this volume today, so I will have to make time to go to the library to get the next one.

And per what I was reading in either the Marvel or the general comics recommendation threads (can't remember), I got the Miller (Born Again), Bendis (Daredevil #16 - 19, #26 - 40), and Brubaker (Daredevil 82 - 93)runs on Daredevil that I am quite excited to read.

If you are up for another classic Chinese novel, my favorite is Dream of the Red Chamber.

It is VERY different than Three Kingdoms since its about a family, their relationships, etc, but I think its fantastic. Quite long though

bjork

I have a copy of Lord of the Flies, and then a Tom Waits book that (I think) is notes taken while recording each album? Borrowed them from a friend but haven't cracked into them yet.

Mumei

If you are up for another classic Chinese novel, my favorite is Dream of the Red Chamber.

It is VERY different than Three Kingdoms since its about a family, their relationships, etc, but I think its fantastic. Quite long though

I don't know that I would be up for it right after finishing Three Kingdoms, but it does sound like something I would like to read eventually - possibly after acclimating myself a bit more. The first volume was really confusing at first because I wasn't used to seeing Chinese names. I would see Shan Fu and then Yu Fan and since I wasn't thinking of them as "names" but as just text on the page, it took me awhile to sort of get used to the culture shock. But as I went on I started just focusing on the characters whose names and personalities I could remember and now I feel like I'm getting the hang of it. I'm sure if I were to reread the first volume, a lot of detail I missed the first time would jump out at me.

So, anyway, do you have a suggested translation I should add to my Goodreads? While I was looking at what they had, I came across this book which seems like something you might enjoy.

Piecake

I don't know that I would be up for it right after finishing Three Kingdoms, but it does sound like something I would like to read eventually - possibly after acclimating myself a bit more. The first volume was really confusing at first because I wasn't used to seeing Chinese names. I would see Shan Fu and then Yu Fan and since I wasn't thinking of them as "names" but as just text on the page, it took me awhile to sort of get used to the culture shock. But as I went on I started just focusing on the characters whose names and personalities I could remember and now I feel like I'm getting the hang of it. I'm sure if I were to reread the first volume, a lot of detail I missed the first time would jump out at me.

So, anyway, do you have a suggested translation I should add to my Goodreads? While I was looking at what they had, I came across this book which seems like something you might enjoy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0140442936/?tag=neogaf0e-20

5 volumes total, hehe

That book you mentioned does seem interesting, but I dont id ever purchase it. If I ever get access to a University library again, id probably check it out

And yea, Chinese names are freakin hard to remember, and I even studied Chinese and Chinese history. They just look and sound so damn similar when you are reading the romanized version of the names.

Lumiere

Neo Member
I'm nearing the end, about 85% complete, really great book. It started a little slow in the beginning but it kept my attention the whole time. Keeps getting better and better from the point you're in. Keep goin!

I also really enjoyed Wool. I recommend the prequel novel as well, it's probably not as good as Wool but I thought it gave interesting insight. The Kindle edition is quite inexpensive as well.

And I recommend the A Song of Ice and Fire books too! I'm not too much into fantasy (don't mind it but I usually prefer sci-fi), but i really loved those. I actually went through all 5 in a bit over a month.

As for my reading this month - finished Endymion a couple days ago, started

61rzJdssUeL.jpg

Endymion was quite different from the previous books, but I thought it was enjoyable overall.

I just finished Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter the other week. I think it would work a lot better as a movie if they cut out the last act. Or at the very least did some serious rewrites. Not too good, but I can't say I didn't enjoy myself with the ridiculous concept.

Ceebs

I personally have never got why people are so into them. The story may be okay, but the writing and pacing is very tedious. They are prime offenders of the perspective bloat I was talking about in last month's thread.

You will find a character or two you really like and then several more who you do not. You then have to put up with pages upon pages of what I considered a chore before you get back to the story lines you are most interested in.

I only made it through the first and half of the second book before I gave up, and the second book adds even more characters to wade through

Sotha Sil

Almost finished with Daniel Abraham's The King's Blood. Good read, for sure; characters are expanded upon, shit happens. Struck by how much I like just about everyone in the cast, from Dawson to Geder to Marcus fucking Wester.

Good to hear. The Dragon's Path left me kind of cold, but I still like the core characters (and Abraham's writing). Buying it as soon as possible.

sky

I'm reading that steve jobs biography.

I'd heard he was difficult to work with, but wow... according to this book, he was a total d-bag!
(I'm up to the mid-1980's era so far).

Dresden

Good to hear. The Dragon's Path left me kind of cold, but I still like the core characters (and Abraham's writing). Buying it as soon as possible.

It's very much 'Winter' in terms of how it sets up the events to follow. I'm eager to see where it goes. I still have my qualms about some of the events that transpired (the foremost being the cartoon villains that the Spider Godess cult has been set up), but I've enjoyed the books enough to live with it for now.

I still miss the Quartet's setting, though. Compared to the andat-driven economy of that series, the setting here (which was Abraham's intentions, I'm sure) is so mundane.

kswiston

I am reading Acacia: The War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham. I'm ~2/3rds of the way through the book. It's pretty good so far. I don't think it is as good as the SOIAF series, but it has thematic similarities if people are looking for more novels along those lines.

HRwi7.jpg

Read all of these back in high school...enjoying going through them again.

Thinking of looking at Wheel of Time since it's finally wrapping up...I read the first three or four books way back when but decided I should wait until it was close to completion.

Esiquio

Kyleripman, I'm re-reading all the WoT books right now. Since the last one comes out January 8th, I'll have to read about two books a month to get there. Just finished Eye of the World, and I'm still amazed not only how good the writing is, but how many hooks there are in those novels that don't come into play for a long, long time.

Woot! I'll be getting reading glasses soon, so I can start reading novels at a faster pace. Been a pain taking a break from reading because of strains on my eyes.

Final book of The Newsflesh Trilogy has been released and it is finally nice to see wrap things up. With the popularity of The Walking Dead and most likely the World War Z movie, I can see this trilogy being made into a TV series or movie.

uk5YV.jpg

abunai

220px-Neuromancer_Brazilian_cover.jpg

Giving it a re-read for the millionth time. Still great.

Also reading Snow Crash and A Feast For Crows.

Arment

wind-through-the-keyhole.jpg

Finished this a couple nights ago. Overall it's an outstanding addition to the series. I absolutely loved it, especially
The story inside the story, with Tim
. I hope he does more...there's a lot of potential for him doing little side stories like this within the world.

stand-cover-king.jpg

After reading Wind Through the Keyhole I decided I wanted to read more Stephen King. This is supposedly his best book and I love post-apoc. I've seen the mini-series, but a long time ago and apparently it doesn't do the book justice.

It's a big fucking book. I'm reading the un-cut version. Apparently it's shorter than A Storm of Swords though.

Sleepy

Finally got around to reading

41dN-ao5iAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I always felt a bit weird about having a Master's in Literature without having read it. Really enjoying it so far.

Sotha Sil

It's very much 'Winter' in terms of how it sets up the events to follow. I'm eager to see where it goes. I still have my qualms about some of the events that transpired (the foremost being the cartoon villains that the Spider Godess cult has been set up), but I've enjoyed the books enough to live with it for now.

I still miss the Quartet's setting, though. Compared to the andat-driven economy of that series, the setting here (which was Abraham's intentions, I'm sure) is so mundane.

Yeah, I remember reading an interview where he basically said he chose an exotic setting/magic system as a challenge (Quartet), but found out it was relatively easy; and then decided the "real" challenge was to tackle a "standard" fantasy epic (paraphrasing from memory). Problem is I don't think he's good at it. Exotic was good; weird was good. I don't really care about this new world. Still willing to give the Quintet a chance though.

taking a break from Scifi (Forever War was amazing for 70's sci fi) starting Atonement

atonement.jpg

Atonement is probably my most favorite romantic movie ever.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
The Doomsday Key by James Rollins. one more book to ready before the new sigma force book comes out

moojito

51v-A19SMsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The coming of the third reich by Richard J Evans. Listening to the hardcore history podcast, specifically the ghosts of the ostfront series has gotten me interested in learning more about ww2, and it seems this is a decent place to start.

also:

51E%2B7V-PDyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson.

Seems like I've been reading this forever! It's a long-ass book. Quite enjoyable, though. Very interesting take on magic going on here.

Finished up Wool Omnibus edition. Great great book(s). Definitely recommended.

Started reading this today:

wy8Cw.jpg

So far so good. It is gonna take a bit to finish as it appears to be longer than what I've been reading lately.

Winter is coming...or is it here? I forget. I kind of lost interest after book two bored me. Hoping some more intense drama unfolds in this book after the events in the previous.

ClwkV.jpg

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
After reading all of ASoIaF back to back, and nothing else at all for the duration of the 2.5 months or so it took me to do it, I'm going light reading next and knocking out a few novels from an author I'd been meaning to go back to after reading Gil's All Fright Diner a few years back (which was pretty decent for a comedy author's first go): A. Lee Martinez.

Finished a little over a week ago:

NnyWa.jpg

Now reading:

Odbvx.jpg

Next up:

tdOJU.jpg

Thus far, about what I expected. Nothing to necessarily write home about but they're exactly what I was looking for. Some really good lines/sequences thrown in with the more forgettable/average stuff you expect from the genre. Considering all I've finished thus far are his first two books I see a lot of upside that I hope will be realized in Monster and Divine Misfortune.

Winter is coming...or is it here? I forget. I kind of lost interest after book two bored me. Hoping some more intense drama unfolds in this book after the events in the previous.

ClwkV.jpg

A Storm of Swords will DEFINITELY deliver on that hope.

Top Bottom