• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading (June 2012)

sgossard

Just started this one

12929147.jpg

Really good so far.

Cousteau

Finished this. Took me some time as I had a short pause. It was otherwise a really good pretty short read. Are the sequels any good?

1993820543.jpg

Gonna start this now.

The Dusty Rhodes Promo was really good.

"I have wined and dined with Kings and Queens. I have slept in alleys and dined on pork and beans"

Kuraudo

Banned
AD20110415787640-1-The%20Pale%20King._.jpg

Finished with The Pale King for now, as in I'm abandoning it about seventy pages from the end. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing work and Wallace is possibly my favourite writer ever - it constantly blows me away how easily he's able to capture the human condition and put it into words. That's kind of the problem at this point.

I actually picked the book up as a treat for myself one morning before work (rushing to a bookstore with no real preplanning to see if they had it), the main reason being that my mind was kind of fucked because I'd found out that morning that my (now ex-)girlfriend had started cutting herself again.

So yeah I hit §46 and
I'm digging this conversation between this "weird" literal guy and this "normal" attractive girl until it's revealed that the "normal" girl also happens to be what society would perceive as abnormal in the sense that she's cutting herself and I was kind of floored at once again having human nature summed up in words but also at having such a huge fucking coincidence laid out in front of me directly related to raw real life events that had only recently happened and were still having a huge daily affect on me, events which had actually lead me to purchase this very book.

Every bit of Wallace's writing I've read has had a profound affect on me so it's rather poetical that his last act of fiction hit me with his biggest punch, but Jesus Christ, I'll be setting this aside for a bit before finishing up the last seventy-odd pages.

Sleepy

I hit the wall when conversation hit, as well. Although, it has been awhile and I don't think I was that close to the end. Flashes of brilliance, fucking flawed execution. Honestly, it probably shouldn't have been published. I'm going to get flamed for that...

IISANDERII

edit: oh, this is what I'm currently reading. Gets you right from the start with strong emotions.
ClickHandler.ashx
I had to quit reading this because I was unable to decide if the laughable political rants are propagandist or simply ignorant.
Now I am looking for something else.

Finished!

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt
It was a fun romp while it lasted. I still have some questions about (spoiler about a curse)
what was the point of the old woman cursing Eli? Was he ever cursed? I was hoping that something would happen like give him super powers, or maybe that everything that happened after was a dream, but nothing really happened and I don't think he got a bad ending.

My favorite character was Tub.

Now starting

Craig Claiborne and the American Food Renaissance: The Turbulent Life and Fine Times of the Man Who Changed the Way We Eat by Thomas McNamee

AD20110415787640-1-The%20Pale%20King._.jpg

Finished with The Pale King for now, as in I'm abandoning it about seventy pages from the end. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing work and Wallace is possibly my favourite writer ever - it constantly blows me away how easily he's able to capture the human condition and put it into words. That's kind of the problem at this point.

I actually picked the book up as a treat for myself one morning before work (rushing to a bookstore with no real preplanning to see if they had it), the main reason being that my mind was kind of fucked because I'd found out that morning that my (now ex-)girlfriend had started cutting herself again.

So yeah I hit §46 and
I'm digging this conversation between this "weird" literal guy and this "normal" attractive girl until it's revealed that the "normal" girl also happens to be what society would perceive as abnormal in the sense that she's cutting herself and I was kind of floored at once again having human nature summed up in words but also at having such a huge fucking coincidence laid out in front of me directly related to raw real life events that had only recently happened and were still having a huge daily affect on me, events which had actually lead me to purchase this very book.

Every bit of Wallace's writing I've read has had a profound affect on me so it's rather poetical that his last act of fiction hit me with his biggest punch, but Jesus Christ, I'll be setting this aside for a bit before finishing up the last seventy-odd pages.

Wow, that's quite the story.

I thought it was really interesting that this was a finalist for the Pulitzer. The cynic would say, 'well, that's more an acknowledgement of his body of work, rather than the merits of this, an unfinished novel', but I LOVED TPK, unfinished or not. Seems weird that, were he still alive, he'd probably still be working on it, and who knows when (if) it would have seen the light of day. As is, I really do think it's pretty much the crowning achievement of Wallace's 'adult' years (IJ falling outside those years, obviously).

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
0VSKF.jpg

I've been reading Osamu Tezuka's Buddha, which I've been loving so far. I tried the first volume a year ago and didn't care for it, but after reading The Book of Human Insects and liking it more than I thought I would, I decided to go back and read some of his other books. As someone who's unfamiliar with the story of Buddha, it makes for a really interesting read, although the comic relief and original characters Tezuka inserts would probably turn off people who are already familiar with the story. I'm on volume four now, and it's already up there with Phoenix as my favorite of his works.

I'm tempted to buy the books, but the awesome hardcovers are out of print. :(

I finished blair witch: graveyard shift in one sitting. Its really short but I enjoyed it.

Qr2Br.jpg

Im going to start up this tonight or maybe the blair witch files - the witch's daughter

coldvein

Banned
i just started still life with woodpecker by tom robbins. only my second book of his. he seems to love describing female anatomy.

Prez

Just finished my exams, what should I read first? Plato's "The Republic" or Machiavelli's "The Prince"?

thomaser

Which text of Ulysses should I buy/read? 1922? Corrected? Which is the "best" edition?

41v9L13SHdL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I read Penguin's student edition, which has hundreds of pages of endnotes. They helped immensely with my understanding of the text, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

----

51%2BxggpAjnL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Just finished "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. A beautiful book in every way, and recommended to everyone who loves literature. I might even like it better than "One Hundred Years of Solitude".

417mo36fyaL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Also read Shaun Tan's "The Arrival" today. It's a wordless graphic novel about the immigration of a family into a large, strange city. It's absolutely gorgeous, and the imagery is probably the most interesting I've ever seen (perhaps excepting Schuiten and Peeters' Cities of the Fantastic). It's like nothing else, and should be a must-read if you like graphic novels.

411iHnMQ5XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now, about to start this summer's looong book (a tradition of mine): Don DeLillo's "Underground". I bought it the day before the Wii launched, so it's about time I start reading it! Has anyone else here read it? I'd love to hear what you think. I read DeLillo's "White Noise" a few years back, and thought it was ok. Hope this one will be more affecting.

Finished!

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt
It was a fun romp while it lasted. I still have some questions about (spoiler about a curse)
what was the point of the old woman cursing Eli? Was he ever cursed? I was hoping that something would happen like give him super powers, or maybe that everything that happened after was a dream, but nothing really happened and I don't think he got a bad ending.

My favorite character was Tub.

Loved that book. I think the (I guess I'll spoil this since you did, but it happens very early in the book)
woman cursing Eli
was just a sign of the times, to sort of add to the ambiance of the book, similar to the whole toothbrush thing.

The part of the book I didn't get was the
creepy little girl who poisoned the dog and Eli's brother.
I kind of felt like there was some symbolism or something that was going over my head, weird addition that really didn't feel like it added anything to the story to me.

It was an awesome story though, the ending was really satisfying, and all of the characters were likable, or if not likable at least entertaining.

I've been meaning to pick up the author's other book, has anyone read it?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I finished blair witch: graveyard shift in one sitting. Its really short but I enjoyed it.

Qr2Br.jpg

Im going to start up this tonight or maybe the blair witch files - the witch's daughter
I'm curious to read other people's impressions of Ring. It might be the most boring horror story I've ever read.

Loved that book. I think the (I guess I'll spoil this since you did, but it happens very early in the book)
woman cursing Eli
was just a sign of the times, to sort of add to the ambiance of the book, similar to the whole toothbrush thing.

The part of the book I didn't get was the
creepy little girl who poisoned the dog and Eli's brother.
I kind of felt like there was some symbolism or something that was going over my head, weird addition that really didn't feel like it added anything to the story to me.

It was an awesome story though, the ending was really satisfying, and all of the characters were likable, or if not likable at least entertaining.

I've been meaning to pick up the author's other book, has anyone read it?

I thought the story was alright, but the dialogue was what made the book really stand out. The dialogue didn't seem natural at all and was kind of stilted in an appealing way to me. Kind of like when you read dialogue from a point and click adventure game.

Spoiler about girl:
I didn't understand that part fully either. I think the first time she appears is a foreshadowing of what happens to the brother's hand (dog is missing a leg but Eli doesn't believe it at first, brother will soon miss a hand but brother is dreading it?), although he kind of brought it on himself but the dog didn't. What threw me off is the second time she appeared. Was she really trying to poison the brother? And what about the crying man?

Sleepy

411iHnMQ5XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now, about to start this summer's looong book (a tradition of mine): Don DeLillo's "Underground". I bought it the day before the Wii launched, so it's about time I start reading it! Has anyone else here read it? I'd love to hear what you think. I read DeLillo's "White Noise" a few years back, and thought it was ok. Hope this one will be more affecting.

Thanks for the rec...Underworld is okay. I felt that Point Omega was better, and hit on the same themes and issues. Sort of like a Crying of Lot 49/Gravity's Rainbow relationship, if that makes any sense.

Crap! The student edition of Ulysses is not available in the US.

Mumei

51%2BxggpAjnL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Just finished "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. A beautiful book in every way, and recommended to everyone who loves literature. I might even like it better than "One Hundred Years of Solitude".

Amazing book.

I've never been, unfortunately, but the sense of place and atmosphere is so strong.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Put my other book on hold to read this:

Y6iYR.jpg

Started it last night and am over half way through. My younger sister is a vegan and she's been trying to convince the rest of my family to read it, so it's my turn. Compelling stuff I must say. Don't know if I'll go vegetarian, but I have a feeling by the end of the book I'll be closer.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Trying to make my way through Snow Crash. It's been stop and go, having a hard time getting into a groove, at least early on in the book. Maybe when the story really kicks in this will be easier and more engaging.

I thought the story was alright, but the dialogue was what made the book really stand out. The dialogue didn't seem natural at all and was kind of stilted in an appealing way to me. Kind of like when you read dialogue from a point and click adventure game.

Spoiler about girl:
I didn't understand that part fully either. I think the first time she appears is a foreshadowing of what happens to the brother's hand (dog is missing a leg but Eli doesn't believe it at first, brother will soon miss a hand but brother is dreading it?), although he kind of brought it on himself but the dog didn't. What threw me off is the second time she appeared. Was she really trying to poison the brother? And what about the crying man?

Hmm, the girl might make more sense if I read the book again, I forgot that the dog was
missing a paw.
The only thing I can think is if the girl represents fate or something, and it's a way of saying that Charlie didn't really
deserve losing the hand since he was just acting like himself.
It's not really explained well though, and I feel like I'm grasping to find a meaning for that scene. Definitely out of place when the rest of the book feels very grounded.

I totally agree about the dialogue, it seems to be sort of standard for that time period though. It reminded me a lot of the some of the dialogue in the remake of True Grit, just people talking extremely frankly, and to the point. Especially the guy who killed the main girl's dad, he had some odd lines where he said stuff like "I do not like this!" in a stilted manner.

Put my other book on hold to read this:

Y6iYR.jpg

Started it last night and am over half way through. My younger sister is a vegan and she's been trying to convince the rest of my family to read it, so it's my turn. Compelling stuff I must say. Don't know if I'll go vegetarian, but I have a feeling by the end of the book I'll be closer.

I haven't read the book, but it doesn't necessarily advocate being vegetarian or vegan, right? I remember hearing that the author eats meat.

I'm new to reading as a whole, but I actually went through the first 5 books of Harry Potter in the past few months. I don't know why I didn't start reading earlier, the whole experience is so magical. I now get why people keep saying "The book was better" in every discussion about movie adaptations. Haha

I've been been hearing lots of praise to Dan Brown's writings. Are there any particular books of his that you absolutely recommend?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
started reading Dune, damn it's pretty good.

Never did before because when I was young my sisters mouth breather boyfriend was completely into both that and star trek. Put me off star trek for life with a total hatred for it, but Dune.... it's really good and interesting.

demon

I haven't read the book, but it doesn't necessarily advocate being vegetarian or vegan, right? I remember hearing that the author eats meat.

Well I haven't finished the book yet, but while he doesn't seem to try to push vegetarianism onto the reader, he more or less lays out the reality of the meat-producing industry (factory farming) and how perverted it's become, and it's hard to come away from the book without looking at eating animals in a different light.

I've been been hearing lots of praise to Dan Brown's writings. Are there any particular books of his that you absolutely recommend?
Look elsewhere. :)

I'm curious to read other people's impressions of Ring. It might be the most boring horror story I've ever read.

I found it to certainly be intriguing and it built tension well, when it wanted to, but the pacing was totally off - also, I'd guess something was lost in translation, as the prose feels very sterile and stilted in places. I like where the sequels take the story, as that was never represented in the sequel movies, but I would be hard pressed to recommend any of the three Ring books, as more often than not I found them a chore to read.

I'm new to reading as a whole, but I actually went through the first 5 books in the past few months. I don't know why I didn't start reading earlier, the whole experience is so magical. I now get why people keep saying "The book was better" in every discussion about movie adaptations. Haha

Dan Brown is the author equivalent of pop music or shows like Everyone Loves Raymond, they cater to the lowest common denominator. A lot of people like them because they're easy to read, but they're forgettable and the writing is nothing special (I always remember one especially horrible line from either Da Vinci Code or Angels and Demons, some guy who was supposedly some sort of aeronautical expert was describing some cutting edge plane and said "It goes eight hundred miles an hour.")

If you really want to read something of his, honestly I wouldn't say it matters much, all of his books are very similar. Once you've read one the rest are probably going to be ruined for you to an extent, his books have twist after twist after twist, and once you're conditioned to expect that characters are going to switch from seeming bad to seeming good to seeming bad, the exciting plots that are Brown's books only positive point are gone.

And exciting is pretty arguable, many of his twists are Goosebumps level stuff, for example in one book a character you think is on the good team ends a chapter by attacking the main character, who happens to be tied up. Turn the page and it turns out he was just helpfully cutting the ropes. The blood was only ketchup!

I always suggest Kurt Vonnegut to people who want to start reading. What exactly did you read the first 5 of? Guessing Song of Ice and Fire?

Dan Brown is the author equivalent of pop music or shows like Everyone Loves Raymond, they cater to the lowest common denominator. A lot of people like them because they're easy to read, but they're forgettable and the writing is nothing special (I always remember one especially horrible line from either Da Vinci Code or Angels and Demons, some guy who was supposedly some sort of aeronautical expert was describing some cutting edge plane and said "It goes eight hundred miles an hour.")

If you really want to read something of his, honestly I wouldn't say it matters much, all of his books are very similar. Once you've read one the rest are probably going to be ruined for you to an extent, his books have twist after twist after twist, and once you're conditioned to expect that characters are going to switch from seeming bad to seeming good to seeming bad, the exciting plots that are Brown's books only positive point are gone.

And exciting is pretty arguable, many of his twists are Goosebumps level stuff, for example in one book a character you think is on the good team ends a chapter by attacking the main character, who happens to be tied up. Turn the page and it turns out he was just helpfully cutting the ropes. The blood was only ketchup!

I always suggest Kurt Vonnegut to people who want to start reading. What exactly did you read the first 5 of? Guessing Song of Ice and Fire?

Haha I must've forgotten to type the name in. I meant to say "The first 5 books of Harry Potter."

But yeah. I'm not that thrilled about Dan Brown, and to be honest, all of that "Lots of praise" came from 3 to 5 people, I think.

So Kurt Vonnegut? I'm assuming that's an Author. Any particular books of his? I'm looking for high class material here. The Super Mario and Halo of books, if you will.

Heel

cNPzg.jpg

Haven't read this since middle school and I don't really remember much about it. Thought I'd go back now that I'm reading it for pleasure instead of feeling like it's a chore. Funny how that works.

Dresden

Haha I must've forgotten to type the name in. I meant to say "The first 5 books of Harry Potter."

But yeah. I'm not that thrilled about Dan Brown, and to be honest, all of that "Lots of praise" came from 3 to 5 people, I think.

So Kurt Vonnegut? I'm assuming that's an Author. Any particular books of his? I'm looking for high class material here. The Super Mario and Halo of books, if you will.

start with breakfast of champions

end with bluebeard

read slaughterhouse-five and cat's cradle sometime in between

an interview between each book

start with breakfast of champions

end with bluebeard

read slaughterhouse-five and cat's cradle sometime in between

an interview between each book

That's not a bad way to go, personally I'd start with Cat's Cradle (that and Slaughterhouse Five are widely considered his two best books) then Sirens of Titan, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater, and Jailbird in no particular order, and then work through the rest of his books from there. Read Slaughterhouse at some point for sure.

Look around for other authors too, don't fixate on one author or you might get burnt out. Plus if you're just getting into reading, there's a ton of stuff out there to enjoy, no need to dedicate yourself to any one author.

It'd be a easier to suggest stuff if you had an idea of what you like to read, but I'd just keep tabs on this thread, maybe pick up a few books that seem unanimously enjoyed. I haven't read it yet but The Long Ships has been coming up a lot for awhile. The Brothers Sisters is a recent book that was very good. If you liked Harry Potter, the Kingskiller Chronicles book were pretty fun I thought.

cNPzg.jpg

Haven't read this since middle school and I don't really remember much about it. Thought I'd go back now that I'm reading it for pleasure instead of feeling like it's a chore. Funny how that works.

I was pretty ashamed of myself when I read 1984 earlier in the year and remembered refusing to read it in high school. Read the sex scenes in class to make fun of them and Cliffs Notes the rest.

Take note, TheLastFantasy! Don't stay away from classics if you assume they'll be boring!

Thanks dr3upmushroom and Dresden! I surely don't intend to stick to an author or two. I like to think that my taste is a very broad spectrum. I rarely dislike a genre simply for what it is.

I'll definitely look into your suggestions. Thanks again. :)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Now Reading -

7805.jpg

Restarted this after attempting to read it one time. Enjoying it a lot this time around though. I actually benefited from reading the poem the whole way through. (which wasn't hard to read). I initially skipped it on my first attempt on reading it.

Kola

0VSKF.jpg

I've been reading Osamu Tezuka's Buddha, which I've been loving so far. I tried the first volume a year ago and didn't care for it, but after reading The Book of Human Insects and liking it more than I thought I would, I decided to go back and read some of his other books. As someone who's unfamiliar with the story of Buddha, it makes for a really interesting read, although the comic relief and original characters Tezuka inserts would probably turn off people who are already familiar with the story. I'm on volume four now, and it's already up there with Phoenix as my favorite of his works.

I'm tempted to buy the books, but the awesome hardcovers are out of print. :(

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm gonna buy this today!

bengraven

I gave up on Dan Brown in one page.

That first page of DaVinci, with the man running from the other man was so full of cliches and weaksauce prose that I simply couldn't go on when forced to turn the page.

Ashes

Banned
I gave up on Dan Brown in one page.

That first page of DaVinci, with the man running from the other man was so full of cliches and weaksauce prose that I simply couldn't go on when forced to turn the page.

Pretty sure dan brown knows what bad writing is. He just ignores it and goes with his gut. Storytelling is king.

/yeah I read that in a magazine a long long time ago.

But I do like a dan brown novel.

Talking about badly written books, last week, I finished the last book in the Hunger Games trilogy. RECOMMENDED. Just go in with your eyes open. Avoid, if you only read great novels, or award winning works, or stuff by good writers; this is a realty show novel.

I read Kafka's book Metamorphosis this week.

What to read next? I doubt anything light can match up to kafka. Pity.

demon

Okay, last question on translation: Pevear/Volokhonsky for the Russians?

The book I put down halfway through for Eating Animals was the Pevear & Volokhonsky translation of Crime and Punishment, and it seems quite good. Nothing I can compare it to, though.

Ashes

Banned
So I started world war z a couple of days ago. I just reread the line, that made me put down the book, and think about stuff for a while.

Note, It's first person narration. We have the privilege of having access to the character's thoughts.

The walls and floor were bare cement. The air was cold and damp. Of course they’re sick, I thought.

Top Bottom