• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading Empire Falls by Richard Russo. I love it so far. This is the second book I've read of this author (Nobody's Fool being the first), and I can't wait to explore his other books. I am a total sucker for small town, slice-of-life books. Luckily, my library has a number of his books available in the Kindle format, and very few of them have holds.

I've said many times that I am the same way. Mak has recommended that book to me a few times, so I'll be interested in your thoughts as well. I'm still debating what to read, was flipping through my library throughout the day. Think I'm in the mood for something longer, but a fun summer adventure type of read too.
Ha yeah, I've been trying to get Shane to read this for like the past year now? I swear this book could've been written about my town (small, industrial town in central PA). When you're done with this I recommend That Old Cape Magic. Its not a slice of life about a small town but its fantastic. I read it in a day.

Awesome! So cool to see someone in the reading thread reading my book!
So cool to be reading a book by someone in the reading thread. :b

Just so you know, I bought your book a few weeks ago. I haven't started it yet, but I'll read it this year.

Ha yeah, I've been trying to get Shane to read this for like the past year now? I swear this book could've been written about my town (small, industrial town in central PA). When you're done with this I recommend That Old Cape Magic. Its not a slice of life about a small town but its fantastic. I read it in a day.

You guys rock! Also inspires me to keep writing. Thanks!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
More like the neverending cycle of "It's coming to HBO!", "It's not coming to HBO!", "It's coming to HBO!", "HBO lost the rights to someone else!", "It was delayed!", "Someone else lost the rights to it!"

9780375701870_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Loving it, Baldwin is such a masterful writer.

Necrovex

Finished reading The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap. It was a fantastic read and provided a valuable look involving the discrimination between the rich and the poor in America's criminal justice system. I suggest that every single person read this novel. It's simply wonderful.

I am almost done reading the second compendium of The Walking Dead. I am having a love-bored relationship with the whole hefty book. At times, I am really engaged, at others, I'm speeding through the material.

I decided my next Kindle book will be 1Q84. I love Murakami, so I decided to finally read through this tome.

Necrovex

American Gods is a $2 kindle daily deal if you want to join in on the never-ending cycle of "It's good!" "It's okay!" "I couldn't get into it!"

Bunch of other stuff too - former book club entrant History of the Atomic Bomb is also there. Bargain for $2 - I paid $30 for my softcover. (But I think I also got it on kindle for $7 or whatever)

What other stuff is there that is excellent material? I couldn't get into the Atomic Bomb book. It was way too dense in an area that I wasn't interested in.

I also read American Gods; I'm in the 'it was ok' camp.

SolKane

I've started reading "Assassins' Gate" by George Packer, since I'm trying to do more contemporary reading lately. I'm hooked into this so far, it's considerably more intellectual than I would have expected.

Dresden

Finished Words of Radiance, Brandon Sanderson. This is basically shonen battle manga as bible-sized phantasy tomes. Exasperated with the whole
no one important staying dead
thing.

Going through the two Stormlight books reminded me of how much I love these giant escapist fantasy tracts. I wasn't all that happy with WoR, but it's really comforting to know that Sanderson will crank out eight more on a reliably Sandersonian schedule.

Also finished Gone Girl. Fun little book. Feels gothic, also more than a little like a MRA validation fantasy, despite the author.

Going through Kurt Vonnegut's Letters right now. The very first one - the one he sent from Europe, as the war ended, after the POW experience, the bombing at Dresden - so strikingly Vonnegut-y, Slaughterhouse Five summed up with all the alien stuff left out (no doubt he knew that the world, and his family, wasn't ready for the real truth. So it goes.) Otherwise more of a curio than a necessity.

Finally delving into Dead Souls. Also grabbed Annihilation, Jeff VanderMeer. Should be a nice trio of novels to plow through, as I am a little into Helen Oyeyemi's newest.

I will check out That Old Cape Town for sure. My library has that and Bridge of Sighs, so those are probably the next two books I'll read. And I will give my impressions of Empire Falls when I finish it! Right now, I will say that the fact that I read 25% on a Saturday should tell you I like it a lot! Right now, I'd say it is very likely that it will be my favorite book I've read this year so far if the quality stays consistent.

Mumei

Finished Words of Radiance, Brandon Sanderson. This is basically shonen battle manga as bible-sized phantasy tomes. Exasperated with the whole
no one important staying dead
thing.

Going through the two Stormlight books reminded me of how much I love these giant escapist fantasy tracts. I wasn't all that happy with WoR, but it's really comforting to know that Sanderson will crank out eight more on a reliably Sandersonian schedule.

Also finished Gone Girl. Fun little book. Feels gothic, also more than a little like a MRA validation fantasy, despite the author.

Going through Kurt Vonnegut's Letters right now. The very first one - the one he sent from Europe, as the war ended, after the POW experience, the bombing at Dresden - so strikingly Vonnegut-y, Slaughterhouse Five summed up with all the alien stuff left out (no doubt he knew that the world, and his family, wasn't ready for the real truth. So it goes.) Otherwise more of a curio than a necessity.

Finally delving into Dead Souls. Also grabbed Annihilation, Jeff VanderMeer. Should be a nice trio of novels to plow through, as I am a little into Helen Oyeyemi's newest.

Do you have a Goodreads account? You should add me!

Clegg

Started reading the Charlie Mortdecai books. Only 50 pages into the first one but I think I'm on to a winner here. First book is called Don't Point That Thing At Me

Image.ashx

Just finished "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making" by Catherine Valente.

Three words to recommend it: delightful, charming, fantastic.

Gives Wecker's "Golem & Jinni" a run for best book I've read this year.

I finished A Feast for Crows. It wasn't as bad as I was lead to believe, but it did seem like half the characters did absolutely nothing of substance. One more book and I can look at youtube comments again! (Not that I will!)

I finished A Feast for Crows. It wasn't as bad as I was lead to believe, but it did seem like half the characters did absolutely nothing of substance. One more book and I can look at youtube comments again! (Not that I will!)
We helped set your expectations in the dumper. Everyone who read it day 1 had sky high expectations which GRRM shattered.

Next up, I think I'll read the First Law graphical novel I got for Father's Day.

ShaneB

We helped set your expectations in the dumper. Everyone who read it day 1 had sky high expectations which GRRM shattered.

Next up, I think I'll read the First Law graphical novel I got for Father's Day.

I can't decide what to read at all, but I keep looking at the first page of The Blade Itself.

Mumei

Just finished "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making" by Catherine Valente.

Three words to recommend it: delightful, charming, fantastic.

Gives Wecker's "Golem & Jinni" a run for best book I've read this year.

Fantastic. I'm really looking forward to The Golem and the Jinni now, too. And I would recommend:

13538708.jpg
17261183.jpg

The next two books in the series, of course. And if I can get you to read this I'll be very happy:

8144399.jpg

I don't think anyone is better suited to sell you on the concept of the book than she is, so read this.

I can't decide what to read at all, but I keep looking at the first page of The Blade Itself.

Good book but its more of a setup and introduction to the world. The real payoff comes in the sequels.

I recommend Blood Song or Prince of Thorns if you're in the mood for fantasy... or The Rookie if you want something fun and that'll get you ready for some football.

Nymerio

I finished Under The Skin yesterday and liked it very much. Though I fell off a bit after
it was revealed what they were doing with the vodsels. I mean, I actually guessed it anyway after she took the first vodsel and when the book started mentioning how weird she looks, but after it was spelled out the mystery was kind of gone. I also wished there was some more background about the humans. Where exactly did they come from? I also would have loved to hear more about their civilization and how they are struggling. I found that really intriguing

An Introduction to Philosophy
The Last Superstition: A Refutation of the New Atheism

^The latter book is important, I think, in the ongoing discussion between atheists and theists. It successfully strips down new atheist writers like Dawkins, but that is not its true value (everyone has disavowed the new atheist writers by now). No, its true value is its presentation of classical philosophy and its vital relevance today. It has caused me to reevaluate many of my own philosophical views, especially naturalism and scientism, the latter which I have now rejected. It is a worthwhile read for anyone that has an interest in philosophy.

DarkFlow

Banned
29bPwi5.jpg

Really liking this one so far. I'm really into the history of the space race, and it's hard to find books that tell much about the Soviet side of things. It's not super in depth, but it's a good read none the less.

Finished first LOTR book, have other two
Just bought the first 4 Dune books, written by the original author

Don't know which to start first though

Mumei

Okay I am sold on this one. Looks like the 3rd book is in some sort of publisher limbo though?

Unfortunately. Last I heard, the rights to the books had reverted to her but it doesn't seem like there's been any further developments on releasing the third book. The first two books are fantastic, though, so don't let that bother you.

Bazza

Finished Manifold: Origin at the weekend,
Malenfant's death at around 85% through the book caught me off guard, half expected him to be revived somehow seeing he was the main character in previous books.
. Overall I did enjoy the series but as I have mentioned previously I thought the series was a little depressing.

Think I will have to take a break from Baxter's books for the time being, While there has not been a book of his I have read and not liked, I really want my next series to be something that ends with the outlook for the characters looking a little more optimistic.

Epcott

Fantastic. I'm really looking forward to The Golem and the Jinni now, too. And I would recommend:

13538708.jpg
17261183.jpg

The next two books in the series, of course. And if I can get you to read this I'll be very happy:

8144399.jpg

I don't think anyone is better suited to sell you on the concept of the book than she is, so read this.

All added to my wish-list. I may give Hard-Boiled Wonderland a second try. I think currently, my mind is in the mood for fantasy-only.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
About two and a half hours to go on N0s4a2, and I've still got a good deal of time before my next free Audible credit so I've gone ahead and bought the unabridged Audiobook of "The Stand". It's almost 50 hours and I paid like $17 for it so it seemed a great deal considering how well regarded it is.

I've never read it before, but I have seen the Made-for-TV movie. I trust I'm in for something pretty special here? I head one of my favorite literary characters,
Nyarlathotep,
gets a shoutout?

Mumei

All added to my wish-list. I may give Hard-Boiled Wonderland a second try. I think currently, my mind is in the mood for fantasy-only.

The two Fairyland books are books two and three in the series; the first book is The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship Of Her Own Making.

besada

Banned
Finished Manifold: Space by Baxter the other day, It was a good read yet ultimately quite depressing at the end, I should really learn to accept that with Baxter's books by now.

Anyway on to Manifold: Origin, no doubt I will enjoy the story only to feel a little miserable after finishing.

Man, I wish I could re-read his Manifold "series" again for the first time.

Recently finished:
IAZtxdI.jpg

and
NOMl7GT.jpg

Both were lovely. The first is amazing Ian McDonald doing trippy science fiction set in Turkey. The second is Sarah Vowell's history of the U.S. annexation of Hawaii. I happily recommend both.

Today I started:
NX4rbAX.jpg

I'll likely finish it tomorrow (it's a short, easy read) but I'm enjoying it so far.

see5harp

Reading Empire Falls by Richard Russo. I love it so far. This is the second book I've read of this author (Nobody's Fool being the first), and I can't wait to explore his other books. I am a total sucker for small town, slice-of-life books. Luckily, my library has a number of his books available in the Kindle format, and very few of them have holds.

This book was hella good.

Now 20% through AngmarsKing701's book and I can gladly and confidently say it is good. I don't want to reveal the 'hook' of the book but its very intriguing and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. Maybe some of you have, but I've never read a fantasy story with this type of narrative before.

Now 20% through AngmarsKing701's book and I can gladly and confidently say it is good. I don't want to reveal the 'hook' of the book but its very intriguing and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. Maybe some of you have, but I've never read a fantasy story with this type of narrative before.
So glad you're enjoying it!

beril

Finished JK Rowling's The Silkworm

Liked it about as much as the first, though this one veered a bit too far into pulpy for my taste.

Just ordered this one. I liked the first one though I haven't really read a lot of modern crime novels to compare it to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom