• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2017)

besada

Banned
:) I thought it might be you but I wasn't sure. I have Wolf Moon ready and waiting! Notice I am also reading Greg Bear. In fact I picked up Queen of Angels as well due to your rec to Mumei.

I know, I was so pleased. I look forward to hearing about QoA. It's got a sort of weird, easter eggy secret, too. Not only is there a sequel (Slant), but there are a couple of prequels that are just barely connected. Mariposa and Quantico are both explicitly in the same universe, although they're near-term science-crime books. His story Heads and novel Moving Mars, also take place in the same universe, although the connection is a little looser.

Dervius

You're in for a treat. And it sounds like I have to try Echopraxia. I've known of it for awhile now but for some reason just haven't made it a priority to get to it.

One of my favourite thing about the entire novel was Watts'
portrayal of vampires
, which he says he went into in much more detail in Blindsight.

I wasn't sold in the first few chapters of Echopraxia then something clicked and I finished it in a few days while on holiday.

Hope you enjoy it.

One of my favourite thing about the entire novel was Watts'
portrayal of vampires
, which he says he went into in much more detail in Blindsight.

I wasn't sold in the first few chapters of Echopraxia then something clicked and I finished it in a few days while on holiday.

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks. Just bought it so I don't forget about it. Maybe I'll move on to it next after House of Suns as I'm in a space sci-fi mood right now.

Ratrat

Aside from Salem's Lot, does anyone have any good vampire novels? The scarier the better. Urban fantasy not really my thing. I'll probably pick up Fevre Dream, but was wondering if there's any I've missed that are good.
Anno Dracula is a fantastic take on the mythology. In the same vein, The Historian was also great. I'm assuming you've read Dracula with those recommendations. If you can stand YA fiction, the Daren Shan books are pretty good...
But you can't go wrong with Fevre Dream and Let the Right One In.

Morat

Banned
I read through The Expanse series. Pretty good, if schlocky, but I gave up in the last book when
he blows up Earth
. So lazy. Although I should have guessed given that the previous book was a series of uninteresting events which went nowhere, and most of the new characters where lazy stereotypes. Still, I enjoyed the first few books, so there's that.

Edit - Could anyone recommend some good sci-fi? I'm a fan of Banks, Clarke, Asimov, LeGuin to give some idea of my taste.

Dervius

I read through The Expanse series. Pretty good, if schlocky, but I gave up in the last book when
he blows up Earth
. So lazy. Although I should have guessed given that the previous book was a series of uninteresting events which went nowhere, and most of the new characters where lazy stereotypes. Still, I enjoyed the first few books, so there's that.

Edit - Could anyone recommend some good sci-fi? I'm a fan of Banks, Clarke, Asimov, LeGuin to give some idea of my taste.

On the back of a previous conversation, Peter Watts' Blindsight and Echopraxia.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

Afrocious

Currently in the middle of The Fifth Season. I'm slow getting through it. I don't think I'm a fan of how N.K. Jemisen describes her character's actions. I normally like the ease of describing actions in a way that comes across as conversational, but with this book, it feels less like a style but more like someone's rushing to get a scene done.

Finished reading Five Came Back by Mark Harris
This is a very engrossing read about big-shot Hollywood directors going off to serve in WW2 making documentaries, instructional films, and propaganda movies. From John Ford (The Searchers) immortalizing the Battle of Midway on film, William Wyler (Ben-Hur) going on bombing missions, Frank Capra (It's a Wonderful Life) and Dr. Seuss making racist propaganda, John Huston (The African Queen) fabricating combat footage -- all very fascinating stuff.

It is a must-read for film buffs. Incredibly inspiring.

I got roped in by the Netflix documentary series, but I found that the book's more narrative approach to be more compelling and engrossing than the TV series, where most of the information is just interviews with modern directors. A lot of the wartime films discussed in the book is on Netflix, but also in public domain. Watching those with the context of the book is a completely different experience.

If I was interested in reading Michael Chabon what would be a good place to start? I was considering picking up Moonglow since it is his most recent work, but a few others sound interesting to me as well.

he blows up Earth

Read any Philip K. Dick?

If I was interested in reading Michael Chabon what would be a good place to start? I was considering picking up Moonglow since it is his most recent work, but a few others sound interesting to me as well.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is a great, great book.

Wonder Boys is a good starting point too. Telegraph Avenue I would look into if you really like his writing, still a great book but there's some odd parts. Some characters feel really goofy in the way they act and talk and there's a distracting Obama cameo that felt unnecessary to me. Yiddish Policeman's Union I remember liking when I read but I can't remember anything about it now. I haven't read Moonglow yet.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is a great, great book.

Wonder Boys is a good starting point too. Telegraph Avenue I would look into if you really like his writing, still a great book but there's some odd parts. Some characters feel really goofy in the way they act and talk and there's a distracting Obama cameo that felt unnecessary to me. Yiddish Policeman's Union I remember liking when I read but I can't remember anything about it now. I haven't read Moonglow yet.
Thanks, I'll give that one a shot.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Following from last month I am currently reading Career of Evil by "Robert Galbrath", the third book of the Cormoran Strike series which is quickly becoming my favorite.

0dx1UKY.jpg

Really captivating autobiography who talks about his life growing up in the Lake District of England and the relationships with his father, grandfather and the community. I found it based on a Twitter post by the author (https://twitter.com/herdyshepherd1), took a chance, and it's just captivating. Really want to go visit the Lake District now.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
51H2WZitH0L.jpg

“The effect of this cannot be understood without being there. The beauty of it cannot be understood, either, and when you see beauty in desolation it changes something inside you. Desolation tries to colonize you.”

I really enjoyed this book, i became fully engrossed in the mysteries of Area-X so I finished it in one go. Very few books have given me the sense of dread that Annihilation did, it was like stepping into a nightmare that became more twisted the further i read. I recommend it if you want a very atmospheric read but it does become somewhat confusing by the end. I'm definitely gonna read the other two books in the series and see if they answer some lingering questions i have.

mu cephei

It doesn't take much to provoke me!

Oh, good!
O__o

Ugh, I had a feeling. I think I'll take a break, maybe read Rain Wild Chronicles in a couple months, then reassess if I want to continue.

I definitely have plenty of books to fill the time.

If you didn't read the Rain Wild Chronicles first you'd miss a fair bit, anyway.

I know, I was so pleased. I look forward to hearing about QoA. It's got a sort of weird, easter eggy secret, too. Not only is there a sequel (Slant), but there are a couple of prequels that are just barely connected. Mariposa and Quantico are both explicitly in the same universe, although they're near-term science-crime books. His story Heads and novel Moving Mars, also take place in the same universe, although the connection is a little looser.

Well that sounds intriguing. I wasn't aware there were connected books and I like science-crime, so that's good to know (I see Mariposa is only £1.99 on Kindle, must resist...)

kswiston

I finished The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell today. It was a very fast read, and I will likely pick up the next book when I get a chance. It also makes me want to play Crusader Kings 2 again.

I started Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson today. I am not far enough into the book to give an opinion yet.

fakefaker

What can I say? I blew through Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel like lightning. It had a couple dull moments, mostly technical stuff, but otherwise it was awesome sci-fi that flew by. Can't wait for the third book, where is it already!

Next up, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I bought the book in 2013; time to get at it and start cleaning up my backlog.

12232938.jpg

appaws

Banned
I'm on the third Temeraire novel by Naomi Novik. (The Napoleonic Wars, with dragons!) Pretty awesome so far.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend any favorite novels that are set in ancient Rome or Greece. The last ancient history stuff I read was the Wilbur Smith Egypt stuff, and it was quite good.

Mumei

I'm on the third Temeraire novel by Naomi Novik. (The Napoleonic Wars, with dragons!) Pretty awesome so far.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend any favorite novels that are set in ancient Rome or Greece. The last ancient history stuff I read was the Wilbur Smith Egypt stuff, and it was quite good.

Have you read Gene Wolfe's Latro in the Mist? It combines two books, Soldier of the Mist and Soldier of the Arete, that are fictionalized diary entries of a Roman mercenary with interesting memory issues. You might also like John Williams' Augustus, an epistolary novel set during the time between Caesar's Civil War and the latter parts of Augustus' rule.

I recommend Raptor by Gary Jennings.

I finished The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell today. It was a very fast read, and I will likely pick up the next book when I get a chance. It also makes me want to play Crusader Kings 2 again.

I like the Saxon Series quite a bit, but I do get tired of Uhtred after a while. I think I plowed through the first 4-5 books in the series before I needed to take a breather. Now I read one per year. I think I'm a couple behind on where Cornwell has published.

appaws

Banned
Have you read Gene Wolfe's Latro in the Mist? It combines two books, Soldier of the Mist and Soldier of the Arete, that are fictionalized diary entries of a Roman mercenary with interesting memory issues. You might also like John Williams' Augustus, an epistolary novel set during the time between Caesar's Civil War and the latter parts of Augustus' rule.

I recommend Raptor by Gary Jennings.

Thank you folks! Prime order placed. (Although Raptor does not seem to currently be in print, may have to get it from half or ebay) Sounds super interesting though. Are all those Aztec novels he writes good...?

A chance comment half-jokingly comparing today to the fall of the Republic got me in a mood for some ancient Roman history. I got a good dose from Hardcore History, but I'm really interested in learning more about Cato and Cicero

vFbUvkO.jpg
lkXblgg.jpg
4uC1H2Y.jpg
sBTTJNh.jpg

A chance comment half-jokingly comparing today to the fall of the Republic got me in a mood for some ancient Roman history. I got a good dose from Hardcore History, but I'm really interested in learning more about Cato and Cicero

Rubicon is excellent. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the other three.

Edit: finished House of Suns and taking a quick break from sci-fi with Cop Hater.

Cop Hater by Ed McBain

Finished reading The Way of Kings. I liked the book, and I am looking forward to reading the sequel. I just don't think I want to start another 1000+ page book right now. I'll definitely be reading more Sanderson though since this was my first one by him.

kswiston

As long as you agree that Phyllis suuuuuuuucks, we're friends.

I don't know that I have even met Phyllis yet. I'm about 10% of the way into the book. The first 100 are still on the Ares, making their way to Mars after that flash forward prologue section.

It is interesting so far. I actually really like hard sci fi, even though I don't read a ton of it.

Mumei

I don't know that I have even met Phyllis yet. I'm about 10% of the way into the book. The first 100 are still on the Ares, making their way to Mars after that flash forward prologue section.

It is interesting so far. I actually really like hard sci fi, even though I don't read a ton of it.

Well, as long as you know she sucks. That's the important thing.

Ahaha. Phyllis was not my favorite character. Crazy Maya for the win.

Phyllis is trash.

And Maya is great!

Finished Run by Blake Crouch.

Wasn't as quick a read as I expected - it had some fantastic moments but it also had some plodding bits, which felt a bit odd after such a fast paced first third.

The actual writing was fairly decent, but would have liked a bit less of a 'rushed' ending.

Now, picked up Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch.

Already have it on Kindle but craved a paperback for some reason. Never got beyond the first third of that so very much looking forward to it.

Already 80 pages in and loving it!

Finished Run by Blake Crouch.

Wasn't as quick a read as I expected - it had some fantastic moments but it also had some plodding bits, which felt a bit odd after such a fast paced first third.

The actual writing was fairly decent, but would have liked a bit less of a 'rushed' ending.
Havent seen that title in a while. I remember stumbling upon the book a few years back and really enjoying it. Some very well-done moments of tension

There's Simon Scarrow's Eagles of the Empire series, aka Cato & Macro which are fun reads by an author who writes great action as well as being historically accurate, two fictional Roman soldiers rising through the ranks while more or less following the career of Vespasian.

My favourite Greek books are Mary Renault's Alexander trilogy, which I really must re-read

mu cephei

The question is, will you be able to convince yourself?
o_O

I'm not optimistic. But once when I had to argue in defense of cannibalism I almost convinced myself, so there's a chance.
My Farseer re-read has been superseded by my Blade of the Immortal re-read though, I forgot how much I love it. And quite how gruesome it is.

There's Simon Scarrow's Eagles of the Empire series, aka Cato & Macro which are fun reads by an author who writes great action as well as being historically accurate, two fictional Roman soldiers rising through the ranks while more or less following the career of Vespasian.

My favourite Greek books are Mary Renault's Alexander trilogy, which I really must re-read

<3 <3 <3 The Alexander Trilogy. Fire From Heaven is one of my favourite books.
And so I guess I should try out the Simon Scarrow series.

Mumei

I'm not optimistic. But once when I had to argue in defense of cannibalism I almost convinced myself, so there's a chance.
My Farseer re-read has been superseded by my Blade of the Immortal re-read though, I forgot how much I love it. And quite how gruesome it is.

Jealous if you have Volume 27.

4Tran

I just finished Yue Guan's Return to Ming. It's a historical web novel and it's surprisingly well written. Usually, web novels are on the disposable side, but this one is as good or better than most paper novels. Return to Ming has an introspective look at all sorts of things that happened during the Ming Dynasty: from the insolationist policy to pirate raids to court machinations to rebellions to agriculture and so on. I learned a hell of a lot from reading this book.

Oh, and it's stupidly long too. Weighing in at 3.6 million words, it's about six and a half times the length of War and Peace. Yeah, this list is basically a joke.

Jules

Neo Member
What can I say? I blew through Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel like lightning. It had a couple dull moments, mostly technical stuff, but otherwise it was awesome sci-fi that flew by. Can't wait for the third book, where is it already!

Next up, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I bought the book in 2013; time to get at it and start cleaning up my backlog.

12232938.jpg

The Lovely Bones is good! I loved it.

Jag

Don't forget to watch Rome on HBO if you haven't caught it yet. It's not historically perfect, but gives a good idea of what Roman life was like for all classes of citizens. It's a really well done show.

big ander

-The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. Stupendous so far. McCullers' observations are detailed and always serve to more finely sketch the characters.
-Meet Me in the Bathroom by Lizzy Goodman:
51iLHVmMv4L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Goodman capably anchors the book in her own experience before diving into the oral history, coloring everything to come as being representative of a time in history and culture when nobody knew which was was up, and of being the age where you're just drifting along as well.

Top Bottom