• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2017)

Pau

426504.jpg

There was a kind of ur-magic realism ambiance to all of the short stories, and I liked the weird ones the most, in particular, Orbis Tertius, Babylon Lottery, and The Library of Babel. I suppose I enjoy musings on the shape of the world. I'm going to reread the Prologue now because sometimes I wasn't sure if Borges was writing fiction or non-fiction.
I need to read the whole thing one of these days but I'm a bit scared/lazy to read in Spanish. :(

I finished The Sympathizer a few days ago and I started The Fireman by Joe Hill. I plan to start The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay after this.

4Tran

This post makes the Chinese books that you are talking about seem more like a prose (and no doubt more sophisticated) version of what other countries do as comics/manga.
The form used to popular in the West as well. A lot of writers like Dickens and Dumas wrote their novels in a serialized format.

And I thought my TBR full of 500-800 page fantasy novels was long. Those Chinese novels sound crazy (and pretty cool).

Now I want to go watch Hero.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I need to read the whole thing one of these days but I'm a bit scared/lazy to read in Spanish. :(
I wish i could read some of these books in their original language.

Mumei

I finished reading this:

Deciding on what books to read next, among others I'm considering The People in the Trees. I've seen people freaking out about the ending and that's part of why I got curious about it.

Excellent choice. Read A Little Life after that. :)

Going to tear into this one next:
md22388354055.jpg

The Count of Monte Cristo

Lord help me. Even Mr Dumas has that "bitch please" look on his face at the start of this endeavor

This is me giving you the obligatory advice to read the Penguin classics translation by Robin Buss.

It really depends. The books I'm talking about are all historical novels with an immense amount of detail and lot of historical figures so they're going to be really long to begin with. The Twin Dragons novel is also a wuxia adventure so it'll also have a ton of fictional characters and factions. Here's its ridiculously long character list.

On the other hand, even though it's one of the most popular Chinese novels in the last couple of decades, I think that it could definitely trimmed down a bit. I've put in on hiatus for the time being partly because of this, and partly because I've picked up Yue Guan's books and Yue Guan is a much better writer. The Brocade Guards book I'm reading right now is a historical novel set in the early Ming Dynasty, and it has a crazy amount of detail. Everything from the social system, to foreign affairs, to court politics, to warfare, to economics, and so on. It weighs in at 3.8 million words, and they're all justified.

Is there a center to these stories, though? I think that's what I'm trying to get at. Like, despite everything that goes on, there's a center to the story of Journey to the West—it's a story about a journey to achieve enlightenment, which can even be understood as anything from religious quest story to a fantasy to an alchemical allegory. The Story of the Stone has the stories of Daiyu and Baoyu at its center, with its portrayal of the tensions between Buddhist, Taoist and Confucian demands at its heart, and while there are other stories (Wang Xifeng's handling of the family's affairs, for instance), they still fit into the core of the story.

What's at the center here?

The longer Chinese novels are all serial works, the older ones were published in newspapers and the newer ones start out as webnovels. As such, they're continually written and released so they don't really break down into individual books. When they get published as physical books I don't think that the individual volumes even get their own titles.

The Story of the Stone was circulated in manuscript form (and in some ways was collaborative due to the contributions of commenters like Red Inkstone who read earlier versions while they were as yet unpublished). But this is different than the kind of serial publication in newsprint that you're describing, and when it was actually published it wasn't serialized. I don't remember as much about Journey to the West or Three Kingdoms, though.

kswiston

The form used to popular in the West as well. A lot of writers like Dickens and Dumas wrote their novels in a serialized format.

Sci fi was often serialized as well until the past couple of decades. But none of those novels went anywhere near as long. They were still 250-800 page works published serially over the course of a year or two. Most still followed the regular novel format.

The books you are describing seem like they are much larger in scope.

4Tran

Is there a center to these stories, though? I think that's what I'm trying to get at. Like, despite everything that goes on, there's a center to the story of Journey to the West—it's a story about a journey to achieve enlightenment, which can even be understood as anything from religious quest story to a fantasy to an alchemical allegory. The Story of the Stone has the stories of Daiyu and Baoyu at its center, with its portrayal of the tensions between Buddhist, Taoist and Confucian demands at its heart, and while there are other stories (Wang Xifeng's handling of the family's affairs, for instance), they still fit into the core of the story.

What's at the center here?

The Story of the Stone was circulated in manuscript form (and in some ways was collaborative due to the contributions of commenters like Red Inkstone who read earlier versions while they were as yet unpublished). But this is different than the kind of serial publication in newsprint that you're describing, and when it was actually published it wasn't serialized. I don't remember as much about Journey to the West or Three Kingdoms, though.
Newspapers weren't a thing in China until the 19th century. However, the most direct ancestor of the modern books would be the wuxia novels from the '50s to '80s. And it's not just in how they're published and written either. There's a clear pattern that's established by this genre that strongly influences all of the modern books I'm talking about. And it's really obvious that the modern writers draw directly from this genre.

Generally speaking, they tend to be adventure novels (think Dumas) with a lot of character progression and a fair bit (to a lot) of physical traveling. Now that I think about it, Wolfe's Book of the New Sun is a good example of how they're structure to be structured.

Sci fi was often serialized as well until the past couple of decades. But none of those novels went anywhere near as long. They were still 250-800 page works published serially over the course of a year or two. Most still followed the regular novel format.

The books you are describing seem like they are much larger in scope.
It follows the tradition of the wuxia novels in the '50s to '80s. Books back then would commonly reach 1M words. Which probably follow the tradition of Chinese novels being freaking long to begin with.

The scary thing is that Yue Guan's longer books were each written over the course of a year or two; only they're 3.5-4M words apiece. The guy makes Brandon Sanderson look like a slowpoke.

red capsule

currently reading "it" by stephen king

the book almost lost me until i got introduced
to one of the characters in their child form (ben hanscom)

it got my interest back

kswiston

Newspapers weren't a thing in China until the 19th century. However, the most direct ancestor of the modern books would be the wuxia novels from the '50s to '80s. And it's not just in how they're published and written either. There's a clear pattern that's established by this genre that strongly influences all of the modern books I'm talking about. And it's really obvious that the modern writers draw directly from this genre.

Generally speaking, they tend to be adventure novels (think Dumas) with a lot of character progression and a fair bit (to a lot) of physical traveling. Now that I think about it, Wolfe's Book of the New Sun is a good example of how they're structure to be structured.

It follows the tradition of the wuxia novels in the '50s to '80s. Books back then would commonly reach 1M words. Which probably follow the tradition of Chinese novels being freaking long to begin with.

The scary thing is that Yue Guan's longer books were each written over the course of a year or two; only they're 3.5-4M words apiece. The guy makes Brendan Sanderson look like a slowpoke.

Interesting. I'm not sure that I would ever commit to a 4M word book (I think long and hard about starting new series of books that are cumulatively in that range), but I guess if you are loving the material (and it's well written), that might be appealing.

I'm 100 pages into A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole and am not getting into it. Am I missing something? The characters are all one-dimensional stereotypes and the book bounces between Cormack McCarthy style over description and everyone in the South is trash dialogue.

Biske

This is me giving you the obligatory advice to read the Penguin classics translation by Robin Buss.

Is there a center to these stories,.

In my research that seems like one of the best versions, but my friend is a Monte Cristo nut and this is the version he swears by.

I finished The Personal History of Rachel Dupree last night and can't decide what I'm in the mood for now. Maybe something post-apocalyptic? Or maybe something Richard Russo-ish.

EDIT: I went with Everybody's Fool by Russo

Can I ask for a recommendation in this thread?

Absolutely

I'd like to start reading Charles Bukowski's stuff, can anyone recommend a good place to start?

Ham on Rye is my favorite book of his. If you read some of his works and like it, I highly recommend you also check out John Fante's Bandini Saga. In my opinion its even better than Bukowski's stuff (it's also Bukowski's inspiration for how he writes and its very very apparent).

I'm 100 pages into A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole and am not getting into it. Am I missing something? The characters are all and one-dimensional stereotypes and the book bounces between Cormack McCarthy style over description and everyone in the South is trash dialogue.
This is probably the book that is recommended the most to me and I tried reading it once and just could not get into it.

EDIT 2: Ohh nice, Updraft is $2.99 today. I've been tracking this since it released and I believe this is the first time it's been on sale.

Updraft by Fran Wilde

Mumei

It's a very pretty edition, but you'll still want to read this edition. The Robin Buss translation is the only good English translation; every other translation you'll find is based on one of several versions of a nineteenth-century translation that censored and bowdlerized the material, and in some cases abridged or rearranged material.

And as Buss notes in the Introduction, the alterations and omissions didn't just include references to lesbianism or drug use, but references to classical literature.

But he makes the best case for a new translation in "A Note on the Text":

Anyone who has read The Count of Monte Cristo only in this 'classic version' has never read Dumas' novel. For a start, the translation is occasionally inaccurate and is written in a nineteenth-century English that now sounds far more antiquated than the French of the original does to a modern French reader: to mention a small point in this connection, Dumas uses a good deal of dialogue (he wrote by the line) and the constant inversions of 'said he' and 'cried he' are both irritating and antiquated. There are some real oddities, like the attempt to convey popular speech (which does not correspond to anything in Dumas), when the sailor in Chapter XXV says, 'that's one of them nabob gentlemen from Ingy [sic], no doubt. . .' Even aside from that, most of the dialogues in this nineteenth-century translation, in which the characters utter sentences like: 'I will join thee ere long,' 'I confess he asked me none,' and 'When will all this cease?', have the authentic creak of the Victorian stage boards and gaslit melodrama.

It can be argued that this language accurately conveys an aspect of Dumas' work, but not even his worst detractors would pretend that there is nothing more to it than that. Still less acceptable, however, than the language of the Victorian translation is the huge number of omissions and bowdlerizations of Dumas' text. The latter include part of [Character]'s opium dream at [Chapter], some of the dialogue between [Significant Antagonist] and [Another Character] in [Chapter], and several parts of Chapter XCVII, on [Character A] and [Character B]'s flight to Belgium.

He also goes into detail numerous examples of mistranslation or simplification in the earlier translations. Obviously, it's still a book that has been adored and loved by people in earlier translations, even heavily abridged. But I'd feel remiss if I didn't insist!

Biske

And as Buss notes in the Introduction, the alterations and omissions didn't just include references to lesbianism or drug use, but references to classical literature.

But he makes the best case for a new translation in "A Note on the Text":

He also goes into detail numerous examples of mistranslation or simplification in the earlier translations. Obviously, it's still a book that has been adored and loved by people in earlier translations, even heavily abridged. But I'd feel remiss if I didn't insist!

God damn this book and god damn abridgements. What a pain in the ass. Such a pain in the ass to get the right one.

4Tran

Interesting. I'm not sure that I would ever commit to a 4M word book (I think long and hard about starting new series of books that are cumulatively in that range), but I guess if you are loving the material (and it's well written), that might be appealing.
The only reason I'm managing is because I'm reading from an eReader. I love paper books, but that much would kill me.

God damn this book and god damn abridgements. What a pain in the ass. Such a pain in the ass to get the right one.
When in doubt, just blame everything on the Victorians. They always find a way to make things miserable for everyone else.

Minamu

Is this a good thread for asking about vacation book reading suggestions? I'm going on a week long trip to Rhodes in August and my GF likes to read a lot on vacation but I have no idea what I like :lol

I know for sure that I'm gonna bring my collected Lovecraft works, I've started a book that I want to finish. I'm also very interested in reading some Obama biography if one exists? I've read Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter but that was many years ago, the only thing I've read since then is course literature xD I'm kinda done with Fantasy. I'm a huge movie nerd as well so that might be a good idea, and I'm deeply interested in game development so such topics would be cool too, "edutainment" or no.

I know it's borderline impossible to recommend a book to a stranger but is there some resource where I can look for inspiration on said topics or similar?

Stephen King's Dark Tower series might be good, yeah? 1984? Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Finished 2/3 of the Dunk & Egg stories by Martin.

These characters and their adventures are so entertaining!

kswiston

I finished Red Mars today. I will need to digest it a bit I think. The tone change in the last third of the book compared to the first two thirds was pretty drastic.
I also did not see them randomly killing Frank off like 10 pages from the end of the book.

Based on Mumei's hate for Phyllis
I assume she is back in Green Mars

Finished 2/3 of the Dunk & Egg stories by Martin.

These characters and their adventures are so entertaining!

I agree. Maybe HBO can pick it up as a prequel series and actually give us a conclusion :p

Mumei

Based on Mumei's hate for Phyllis
I assume she is back in Green Mars

Alive or dead
, my hatred for Phyllis burns bright!

She's not as bad as Caleb, though.

latest

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmsogood

Is this your first time reading it, or revisiting it?

And I agree.

There's only one right choice. :D

I've been reading a story from Alectryomancer by Christopher Slatsky before I go to bed each night. While it's given me some bizarre dreams, the collection is excellent. I'll be bummed when I'm done with it. If you enjoy short stories and weird fiction, it's definitely worth checking out. As an added bonus, it's Kindle Unlimited eligible.

I know it's borderline impossible to recommend a book to a stranger but is there some resource where I can look for inspiration on said topics or similar?

Stephen King's Dark Tower series might be good, yeah? 1984? Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

There are all kinds of reading lists on Goodreads. While I don't necessarily trust the ratings there, it's a good place to find titles you might be interested in. The "Customers Who Bought This Also Bought" section on Amazon can also be very helpful!

If you like Lovecraftian fiction, I'd recommend checking out Laird Barron, Nathan Ballingrud, Margaret St. Clair, Gemma Files, Livia Llewellyn, and Brian Keene.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've only read it once!

Any lines or passages that you particularly like?

Nothing comes immediately to mind, but my favorite story should be Beren and Luthien. I'll use this reread to confirm/deconfirm that.

fakefaker

Was disappointed by Death of a Red Heroine by Qiu Xiaolong as the author seemed to want to write more about food and poetry than the actual murder mystery. At least no one starved to death in this book. Next up is The 'Geisters by David Nickle.

17295909.jpg

Is this a good thread for asking about vacation book reading suggestions? I'm going on a week long trip to Rhodes in August and my GF likes to read a lot on vacation but I have no idea what I like :lol

I know for sure that I'm gonna bring my collected Lovecraft works, I've started a book that I want to finish. I'm also very interested in reading some Obama biography if one exists? I've read Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter but that was many years ago, the only thing I've read since then is course literature xD I'm kinda done with Fantasy. I'm a huge movie nerd as well so that might be a good idea, and I'm deeply interested in game development so such topics would be cool too, "edutainment" or no.

1984 might not be so good for you, it's really depressing (but a fucking mas-ter-piece). Then again, you're bringing Lovecraft so I guess you'll be fine :lol

Consider Haruki Murakami. I recommend Kafka On The Shore.

How about Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy?

Hillbilly Elegy is on sale today on Amazon for $4.99. Heard a lot of good things.

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance

Check the OP for a collection of book recommendation thread topics on GAF. Also, as previously mentioned, goodreads.com has a ton of different ways to help you find books you're interested in. The two best ways are to search a book you know you like and then look at the other recommended books for people who liked that one. The other way is listopia where you search a topic/subject/genre and people have listed and voted on books that belong on said list.

As for recs for you - perhaps Ship of Fools, the Southern Reach trilogy, Masters of Doom

prag16

Banned
Read Dragon Teeth last week, yet another posthumous Crichton novel that I just found out about.

Fun quick read, and some cool historical stuff, even if it was a little half baked compared to his best work.

Listening to my first audiobook, thanks to the free promotion at Scribd:

51DH2H0cB8L._SL300_.jpg

Pretty good so far. I'm not learning astonishing stuff yet, but the narration is good and it feel like a novel.

Edit: I advanced further into the audiobook and i'm learning quiet a lot about pakistan/cia relationship and the internal structure of the afghanistan resistance movement against the Soviets. Very interesting. It start very general and go deeper and deeper without getting boring.

besada

Banned
I started reading The Sharing Knife books by Lois McMaster Bujold. I've read the first three, so far, and really enjoyed them, although it's clear that she's improved as a writer since then. They are very much in the vein of Shards of Honor or her newest, in that they are basically romance novels with some other stuff going on. The primary story is about Dag, the Lakewalker who slowly is discovering that his ability to alter people's "ground" -- the energy that flows through every living thing -- and his Farmer wife, Fawn, a remarkable girl who shakes off her cultural background as if it were a light coat of dust, and joins him even though neither society accepts their marriage.

There's also a bunch of stuff about the malices, who drink ground and spread blight, but it's really mostly there to give Dag and Fawn something to push against. The first two are better than the third, which a weirdly paced riverboat story. I'm hoping the fourth helps tie them together somewhat.

kevin1025

Banned
Still winding my way casually through It by Stephen King, and City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett. I also started reading The Corrections by Jonathon Franzen since I wanted inspiration for a book I should really damn finish writing. His writing is not quite what I was expecting, it has more of a flow to it than a fixed position; I don't mean that in a bad way, more that he floats from scene to scene more than is focused, I had been expecting different. But I am enjoying it, though its loftiness in narrative does make a through-line difficult to see at this point.

City of Stairs and its political intrigue and personal story are coming together finally, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Really hitting the spot for me.

It is Stephen King, so I'm going to love it no matter what, haha.

For weird fiction/horror fans 2 books from Laird Barron, an oft-lauded new presence in the field, has two Kindle books on sale:
The Light is the Darkness - $2.99
The Croning - $1.99

Haven't read either personally but have been picking my way through and loving his collection Swift to Chase which is decidedly strange and unsettling. I've also had The Croning high up on my wishlist because I've heard it praised pretty often.

HiiiLife

Hey all. New poster in these threads, recently got the urge to start reading again and I naturally gravitated towards Mystery thrillers / horror. Read One of Us is Lying in one sitting and enjoyed how much it reminded me of The Breakfast Club / Pretty Little Liars.

Currently reading Dodgers now. If anyone has any recommendations for easy read, standalone novels of the genre, let me know. Was thinking about snagging The Woman in Cabin 10 & The Couple Next Door.

big ander

Wow, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter is stupendous. One of the best American novels I've ever read full stop. I can't believe this isn't taught in schools alongside The Great Gatsby and The Old Man & the Sea, if I'd read this at age 15 it would've been life changing.
Hey all. New poster in these threads, recently got the urge to start reading again and I naturally gravitated towards Mystery thrillers / horror. Read One of Us is Lying in one sitting and enjoyed how much it reminded me of The Breakfast Club / Pretty Little Liars.

Currently reading Dodgers now. If anyone has any recommendations for easy read, standalone novels of the genre, let me know. Was thinking about snagging The Woman in Cabin 10 & The Couple Next Door.
You Will Know Me by Megan Abbott is a nice murder mystery/psych thriller from last year. Quick summer read for sure.

frontovik

Banned
Just finished In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson; it offered a very interesting look into Nazi Germany from the perspective of the American ambassador, William Dodd, and his family members who accompanied him.

Top Bottom