• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2010)

FnordChan

March may come in like a lion and go out like a lamb, but we won't know the difference because we'll all be inside reading. I'm still making my way through Le Carre's The Secret Pilgrim, but I'm about 2/3 of the way through and hope to have it wrapped up before too terribly long. What about the rest of you?

FnordChan

Kabouter

AGEOFEXTREME.JPG

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Still in the middle of Jared's Guns, Germs, and Steel. Rather interesting I must say, but I really can't read big chunks of it on one sit.

After reading the Kite Runner i'm now reading "A thousand splendid suns" by Khaled Hosseini

A_Thousand_Splendid_Suns.gif

Think i'll finish it today so any suggestions for my next book are welcome :)

Fritz

I bet on this one too.
Still waiting for my vintage copy of "dance to the music of time - 1st movement". If that sloppy amazon seller has lost it..Im gonna lose my temper here

Wrekt

gardensofthemoon.jpg

I've been trying to finish this for over a month. I was told to pick up the series while I wait for A Dance With Dragons but I've never had as much trouble following a book as I do with this one. It switches between characters so often that I simply stopped caring about the entire cast. I'm about 75 pages away from the end so I'll finish it but I can't see myself continuing the series.

Wrekt said:
gardensofthemoon.jpg

I've been trying to finish this for over a month. I was told to pick up the series while I wait for A Dance With Dragons but I've never had as much trouble following a book as I do with this one. It switches between characters so often that I simply stopped caring about the entire cast. I'm about 75 pages away from the end so I'll finish it but I can't see myself continuing the series.

^ Couldn't get into it either. Tons and tons of great writing but I simply don't care about what's actually happening in GotM. It's a shame because it's got a ton of huge books available for the series but I can't get into it.

WedgeX

Banned
Finished King's On Writing at the end of last month. Entertaining and some pretty good insight into the process of writing. I'm almost certain that my english teacher in high school made us read a part of it.

I'm now on to Sodom and Gomorrah, the 4th volume of In Search of Lost Time, by Marcel Proust.

280l0n8.jpg

Somehow I skipped this one and read volume 5...so it's trippier than it ought to be. Proust's style is so dense and descriptive that it can be a heck of a thing to read through, but its so damn rewarding.

At the same time I'm reading A little book of Francis of Assisi by Don Mullan. My girlfriend picked it up for me in Assisi. Going through it one tiny page at a time.

2vkkh7p.gif

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
afternoon delight said:
0759229945.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
devilinwhitecity-716092.jpg
0471678783.jpg
[/IMG]

Do they follow the story completely? Or pick bits and pieces? Because if its by the numbers I'd explode.

Prequel series. They're regarded well and are an artwork in and of themselves. I'd recommend it to anyone.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
started this book after finishing up some hemingway. what a stark contrast in terms of prose

karamazov.jpg

Llyranor

.... uh, I seem to have posted in the wrong thread.
Repost:

Currently reading through two books.

During public transportation, I've been reading (for a while)
51B3WZD7X8L._SS500_.jpg

Nearing the end, as the book starts to go into the invasion of Crete. Pretty good read, amazing historical detail as the book goes into individual air skirmishes throughout the entire campaign.

For when I'm at home, currently going through (the early parts) of
51PZ5GE7XXL._SS500_.jpg

(volume 1 of 2)
Pretty huge books. Lots of photographs (including 'then and now' pictures) to enrich the text. The detail so far is pretty nice, as are the maps. Seems to feature more detail for the 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions (at least in equal representation as the 1st Airborne so far), which my other books on Market-Garden don't provide.

Also just recently purchased the two unabridged volumes of
413V8P3S6XL._SS500_.jpg

though I haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

Copied from the other thread:
2d7g6pt.jpg

Ficcionies - Jorge Luis Borges

I don't know why I waited so long to read Borges. Because so many things I've read have been so heavily indebted to him and because I have encountered so many discussions of the concepts in his stories the impact on me of his work's novelty is definitely blunted, but it's still wonderful. I should have read this back in high school when I first heard of him, and can't think of any good reason why I didn't.

Mifune

Mehmber
Repost for March:

n50348.jpg

Rock star has had enough, holes up in some NYC apartment, meets a whole gaggle of bizarre characters, falls into secret drug deals. Nowhere near as coherent as that description, but it's a total blast. DeLillo writes cryptic little shards of humor and insight like nobody else. And as great as White Noise is, I have a soft spot for his earlier, weirder stuff like this one. I picked up End Zone on the cheap (featuring an AMAZINGLY bad cover, which I can't wait to post) and may keep the Early DeLillo train rolling.

LQX

catcher.jpg

Never read it in school so decided to pick it up. Almost done and its ok so far, but I have always heard people say they can relate to it because its like there coming of age ect. ect. but I cant really relate to anything in it besides also being from NY. And to be honest he comes off as a kid with emotional problems more than anything.

Eye_of_the_World.jpg

Still reading. About 450 pages in. Absolutely loving it, but despite that, I haven't felt much like reading the last couple days. I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

Falch

Gooster said:

Damn that's a nice looking set.

Kola said:

How is it? I've always been meaning to read some Nietzsche after I heard a series of lectures by the teaching company about him. I don't think my grasp of the German language would allow me to read it in German, though.

I just finished Pebble in the Sky and I'm on to A Walk Across America

51JTYD92HNL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

GroteSmurf said:
After reading the Kite Runner i'm now reading "A thousand splendid suns" by Khaled Hosseini

A_Thousand_Splendid_Suns.gif

Think i'll finish it today so any suggestions for my next book are welcome :)
I loved this book.

FnordChan

Jroderton said:
Huh? Is this like a Halo type book or something?

It's more that Halo is a Ringworld type video game. At any rate, yes, they both have the same sort of structure (a partial Dyson Sphere), though Niven has better aliens and fewer bald space marines than Bungie.

FnordChan, who slogged through Ringworld through sheer force of will

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
A Clash of Kings, one more chapter to go.......... was trying to finish last night and went ooh its 1am better go to sleep.

Fuck the Imp is one bullshit character

moojito

AssasinsQuestPB.jpg

Pretty good! I actually missed the 2nd book of this and went from 1->3 but it does a decent job of catching you up. I don't know if going back and reading 2 "for the ride" is a good idea, since I know most of the plot points.

uk-3-2_lg.jpg

LEAVE YOUR FUCKING BRAID ALONE, WOMAN! Seriously.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
n55220.jpg

Some sections could benefit from better editing, but it's a really interesting (and detailed) look at a future interstellar human society.

Mifune said:
Repost for March:

n50348.jpg

Rock star has had enough, holes up in some NYC apartment, meets a whole gaggle of bizarre characters, falls into secret drug deals. Nowhere near as coherent as that description, but it's a total blast. DeLillo writes cryptic little shards of humor and insight like nobody else. And as great as White Noise is, I have a soft spot for his earlier, weirder stuff like this one. I picked up End Zone on the cheap (featuring an AMAZINGLY bad cover, which I can't wait to post) and may keep the Early DeLillo train rolling.

Brilliant novel. White Noise is not unimpeachable, as it definitely grates with the consumerist stuff. I posted Point Omega in last month's thread, and I'm still curious if anyone's got an opinion on it.

The other day I read Company, Ill Seen Ill Said and Worstward Ho by Samuel Beckett. It was an unbelievable experience. I'm still reeling from it. I don't know if I could comfortably recommend it, as it's really out there.

Flo_Evans

33o2mub.jpg

Still this. Good God. I've never wanted to rock a Che Guevara t-shirt before but this book is turning me full blown commie.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I just finished Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson. It was recently published, and it is the first novel of his that I have read. Far-future humans who inhabit the moons of Jupiter contact Galileo and bring him into their time to mediate a crisis. It is really like two books: the parts where Galileo is in Italy, making discoveries and inventing science, and the parts where he is in the future.

The book is very long, and the sixteenth century Italian interludes where Galileo maneuvers against the Vatican are plodding in places. But on the whole, I would recommend it to anyone interested in Galileo, the Italian Renaissance, how science was invented, or the role it plays in history and may play in our future.

I also finished Paul Johnson's recent biography of Winston Churchill. It is lively and concise and a joy to read, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to read about the great man without wading into one of the multi-volume biographies or the 1,000 page single volume tomes.

Gooster said:
Very, very nice. I already own the first two, so no set for me.

I'm reading this right now because a friend lent it to me and seemed pretty excited for me to read it.

year-of-living-biblically1.jpg

It's amusing enough.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I started a website / company recently, and it chews up ALLLLL my freetime. All of it.

Midnight? Yeah... still working.

Top Bottom