• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2010)

jacobs34

I am really trying to give Catch-22 a fair shot, but damn if that book isn't a bit of a grind to get through. Hopefully I'll be able to plow through the last half of it this weekend, but my patience with it is wearing thin.

I picked up a couple of books last night.
1zx8emw.jpg

2ntbjom.jpg

Not really sure what to read this month. I know I'm going to keep one of them for beach reading in Hawaii in May.

In the meantime I'm working my way through this:
b4gth1.jpg

sogood.gif

thomaser

Forgot to post in the February thread, so I'll include what I read last month as well:

41DSSPATA4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Finished Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon. Took a month and a half, and I loved it to bits. Difficult but very rewarding.

51VetNRc1XL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

After that, Marisha Pessl's Special Topics in Calamity Physics. A strange, original blend between coming-of-age story and detective/murder mystery written in a VERY verbose style. Pessl never calls a spade a spade, but throws around similes and metaphors and obscure media references twenty times a page. Very tiring to begin with, and seems like an irritating attempt to say "look how clever I am!", but she was smart enough to actually concoct a good reason for writing like that, so it surprisingly works. The characters are mixed - some interesting, many not. The story is very exciting, however. It drags to begin with, but takes off in style later on. Definitely recommended.

51MaA977pKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Lately, I've been reading The BLDGBLOG Book by Geoff Manaugh. A brilliant book about architecture, and "architecture" in Manaugh's mind is a very, very broad subject. It's completely all over the place, and goes from inflatable cities to beautiful poisonous dry lakes to a controversial book about secret railway-tunnels under Tokyo to New Yorkers' dreams about their bedrooms to artificial northern lights... It's all very interesting. Most or all of the articles can be read on the blog itself (http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/), but reading them in a quality book like this is so much nicer.

Have also read a couple of other books about architecture, mainly about houses. Villas and pre-fab houses. I wanna build a house...

Right now, Miles Edgeworth on the DS, which is almost like reading a book. Almost. After that, probably this:

51YUCk-z-wL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Good Soldier Svejk, by Jaroslav Hasek. Seems like a good one.

newsguy

Holy friggin shit lol. I was just about to ask if anyone had heard of this Abe Lincoln book. Apparently Burton is adapting it into a film. Early reviews are positive, and the title alone sold me.

cwmartin

So I just finished both World War Z and The Road, but I'm finding it really overwhelming to find a new fiction piece to read. Those are really my first reads in a long time in contemporary literature, and the massive volume and opinions on books leaves me overwhelmed what to pick. Im not exactly looking for a book that covers the same topic, those two were just the stand outs when seeing what people had been reading recently. I was thinking The Dark Tower series or The Last Stand. Anyone help a brother out?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I had the afternoon off and finished Farthing by Jo Walton on FnordChan's recommendation. As an anglophile who enjoys country house murder mysteries and alternate history, the setting was intriguing. The prose was good and I enjoyed it as a mystery, but the political tone was too heavy-handed for me. (It was easy to guess that it was written shortly after 9/11.)

My reading on British appeasement in the ruling classes confirms the view that it is greatly exaggerated in popular culture and historical memory. The hypothesis that seems most plausible to me is that this was overcompensation on the part of the British Left, which had been forced by Moscow to defend the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact before Germany invaded the Soviet Union.

You can argue that none of this should matter in an alternate history. But it still bothered me enough somewhere in the back of my mind that it affected my enjoyment of the book. It won't affect most people, though, and it is a good read otherwise.

Finished:
karamazov.jpg

Garrett translation though. Took two months, worth every day. Amazingly dense novel.

Next up on the docket, though probably after I clear out my Instapaper queue and read a few papers I've been meaning to go through:

41cz985v5dl.jpg

KidDork

Dark FaZe said:
^ Couldn't get into it either. Tons and tons of great writing but I simply don't care about what's actually happening in GotM. It's a shame because it's got a ton of huge books available for the series but I can't get into it.

I found GOTM the hardest book to plough through in the series, but have loved the others I've read. It was the second volume, Deadhouse Gates, that completely converted me to this series.

As for what I'm reading:

startrekdestiny.jpg

I enjoy David Mack's take on the Star Trek universe--it's a little more dark than most, and the characters talk about and occasionally have sex. Oh, and actually swear. See, JJ Abrams? That's all it takes me win me over.

Stealth

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I picked up a couple of books last night.
1zx8emw.jpg

Have you read this yet? I enjoyed Simmons' The Terror immensely, but I've been afraid to trek further into his material since I've heard mixed things about what's good and what isn't. Would like to know your thoughts when you get around to it, as the idea of a semi-paranoid Dickens seemed pretty interesting.

Fritz

Teh Hamburglar said:

Can you comment on this already? I think the concept is intriguing, but I also heard the books are painfully trivial. I am all up for a fun, mindless read but am afraid its just too plain.

chapel

Banned
46a1dfd62f4ba3e1996de37cba3c0086.png

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health

Really good book, I think everyone should read it.

Ken Grimwood's REPLAY.

It has this awesome limited print, cover is electric blue with disco reflection and each page as the edge paintend in silver.

GriffD17

71JVX8F4Z0L_SL500_.jpg

Been on weird "existentialism" kick. While he's not completely an existentialist he's usually mentioned in any discussion of the subject. I was listening to a Professor from I-Tunes U read some passages and I thought it was something I should definitely pick up.

Well, I'm trudging through it and want desperately to finish it. I'm going to stick to fiction from here on out I'd say.

Im not exactly looking for a book that covers the same topic, those two were just the stand outs when seeing what people had been reading recently. I was thinking The Dark Tower series or The Last Stand. Anyone help a brother out?
Well, I'd recommend 2666 by Roberto Bolano, Blood Meridian and The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy, Dance! Dance! Dance! by Haruki Murakami.

The Sandman: Season of the Mists
Just finished this as well this week thanks to the library - what a great concept, don't you think?

Any good books about Jack the Ripper ? Fiction and non-fiction will both do.
Just purchased From Hell, already mentioned. Nothing but praise for it.

The Shock Doctrine
Yeah, it's extreme, but I definitely enjoyed it. If that's the right word.

What stories should I read? So far I've read Call of Cthulhu, Dunwich Horror, and am almost finished with Colour From Space. I am thinking Herbet West - the re-animator and also At The Mountains of Madness.
Mountains of Madness is absolutely classic. The Festival, Cool Air, The Shadow Out of Time.

faridmon

Just finished:
steve-master-and-margarita.jpg

can anyone recommend me a really funny (laugh out loads) and easy to read. English is not my first language and this book just made my brain hurt since i was trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

Kamal007

Neo Member
faridmon said:
Just finished:
steve-master-and-margarita.jpg

can anyone recommend me a really funny (laugh out loads) and easy to read. English is not my first language and this book just made my brain hurt since i was trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

I have a recommendation you will enjoy:

mark-haddon.jpg

More amusing / good story-telling than laugh out loud... but an easy read with a good pace. I can't imagine it getting a bad review.

I'm currently trying to start:

crime_and_punishment.jpg

faridmon

Kamal007 said:
I have a recommendation you will enjoy:

mark-haddon.jpg

More amusing / good story-telling than laugh out loud... but an easy read with a good pace. I can't imagine it getting a bad review.

I'm currently trying to start:

crime_and_punishment.jpg
read that. I loved it and was funny. anything else?

purg3

slept with Malkin
thomaser said:
51MaA977pKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Lately, I've been reading The BLDGBLOG Book by Geoff Manaugh. A brilliant book about architecture, and "architecture" in Manaugh's mind is a very, very broad subject. It's completely all over the place, and goes from inflatable cities to beautiful poisonous dry lakes to a controversial book about secret railway-tunnels under Tokyo to New Yorkers' dreams about their bedrooms to artificial northern lights... It's all very interesting. Most or all of the articles can be read on the blog itself (http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/), but reading them in a quality book like this is so much nicer.

This looks interesting, i'll have to check it out.

Kamal007

Neo Member
faridmon said:
read that. I loved it and was funny. anything else?

Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger

I wish I could recommend more off the top of my head; but truth is I haven't kept up my reading list in a few years... I definitely plan to change that by popping in this thread more than a few times. :)

faridmon

Kamal007 said:
Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger

I wish I could recommend more off the top of my head; but truth is I haven't kept up my reading list in a few years... I definitely plan to change that by popping in this thread more than a few times. :)
is it funny though? from what i have read in Wikipedia article, it seems this book talks about sexual confusion which sound like a teen angst/emo crap which i hate.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Finally going to start this -

el4ls8.jpg

after a long time of wanting to. Just wasn't interested in devoting the time for this monster before.

Crappy cell phone pic due to not being able to find anything but incredibly small versions of the cover I have on google.

Finished
2els7pf.jpg

Thought it was okay. The author tried too hard to sound like a "kid" and the book wraps up way too fast and neatly for my tastes among other issues but I love Greek mythology and the whole mixing modern day with fantasy elements.

Does anyone know if the rest of the series gets better?

Also, anyone want to recommend something that mixes modern day and fantasy like this or Dresden Files?

Boogie9IGN said:
book_cover_shogun.jpg

My quarterly re-reading of it <3
I've probably read that book at least 5 times. Such an awesome book, I never get bored of it. Have you read any of the other books in the Asia Saga?

m3k

im reading some detective files of batman... its bad but i saw it for a dollar and thought what the fuck

also just started brave new world

malboroking said:
I've probably read that book at least 5 times. Such an awesome book, I never get bored of it. Have you read any of the other books in the Asia Saga?

Noble House is a personal favourite - alongside Shogun, of course.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
KidDork said:
I found GOTM the hardest book to plough through in the series, but have loved the others I've read. It was the second volume, Deadhouse Gates, that completely converted me to this series.

As for what I'm reading:

startrekdestiny.jpg

I enjoy David Mack's take on the Star Trek universe--it's a little more dark than most, and the characters talk about and occasionally have sex. Oh, and actually swear. See, JJ Abrams? That's all it takes me win me over.

Is this David Mack the amazing artist David Mack of kabuki fame?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I decided to read the Lies of Lock Lamora. So far so good, how Dickens as well.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Boogie9IGN said:
book_cover_shogun.jpg

I was supposed to read this book in high school, but I didn't finish it and always felt guilty. I will finally get to it this summer.

KdoubleA

I was a little burned out on SciFi/ Fantasy so I decided to read some Mystery/Thriller novels. Just picked those up today:

MAEASD_C.jpg

bh_c.jpg

Meliorism

I go through reading phases. There are times where I love reading and times where I just don't ever read at all.

So that's why I'm still stuck on this:

205px-our_band_could_be_your_life_book_cover.jpg

I do really enjoy it though.

hoverX

Boogie9IGN said:
book_cover_shogun.jpg

quite a few years back i was really into the made for TV movie. mostly because richard chamberlain is such a funny/bad actor. I'm assuming the book is much better?

I just started reading this last week:

250_ImmortalGamePaperCover.jpg

Top Bottom