• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2010)

SmoothCB

51tcPfVlhUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

and it's direct sequel (don't buy the first w/o the second! It's pretty much one novel.)

51cvsO7hQxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I think these two books are perfect for the Gaf crowd. If you have any interest in the internet, technology and current society you owe it to yourself to pick them up. Outstanding!

eznark

Banned
SmoothCB said:
and it's direct sequel (don't buy the first w/o the second! It's pretty much one novel.)

I think these two books are perfect for the Gaf crowd. If you have any interest in the internet, technology and current society you owe it to yourself to pick them up. Outstanding!

These books (well, I deleted the first before finishing but I made it 80% through) are awful.

Just offering a counterpoint.

eznark said:
These books (well, I deleted the first before finishing but I made it 80% through) are awful.

Just offering a counterpoint.

Agreed. Interesting idea, rotten execution. If you're going to bill yourself as a 'computer expert', you have to do more than throw around the names of a few protocols and actually have a plot that is at least feasible. The videogame stuff in the first book is just laughable.

Salazar

Alan Davies' autobiography (or memoir of childish cultural enthusiasms). It's a bit forced, but funny enough.

About to start Calvin Trillin's 'Alice, Let's Eat'.

511HAR8LB4L._SS500_.jpg

I just finished the first book, All The Pretty Horses. Amazing. I love McCarthy's prose,it really is similar to Hemingway. Will start The Crossing today, heard it's even better.

This isn't really about reading. During my usual travail of the local bookstore's "literary" shelves - which, by the way, holds no McCarthys or Pynchons beyond a scraping of their latest works, and absolutely nothing written by Michael Chabon - I saw the last copy of this book sitting astride Poe's collected works:

9780141185620.jpg

And I couldn't walk by. I've read the book several times, growing up and quite recently too, and it's one of my all-time favourites due to its timeless charm and message, but I've never owned it. This actually bothered me to the point that I bought it there and then. Not to read, but just to own. Anyone else bought a book simply for the sake of owning it?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished "Consider Phlebas" by Iain M Banks, a few days ago, good stuff. But the last 1/4 of it, wasn't as good as the first 3/4. Looking forward to reading "player of games" next, which i hear is better.

Now reading

51XcqaAV07L._SS500_.jpg

100 pages read so far.

Salazar

Tim the Wiz said:
Heh, care to expand on that?

Not an admirer of the authors you mention. At least, I don't think their absence from a bookstore's shelves makes it a deficient store. The fact that bookstores are now dedicating sections and vast stretches of shelving exclusively to insipid vampire pseudo-erotica bugs me more.

KAOz

Short bus special
Ellis2.jpg

Began re-reading this gem again. This one is probably one of Ellis' best novels together with American Psycho and Glamorama. Love the faux autobiography themes, and the horror themes.

Soooooooo good.

Salazar said:
Not an admirer of the authors you mention. At least, I don't think their absence from a bookstore's shelves makes it a deficient store. The fact that bookstores are now dedicating sections and vast stretches of shelving exclusively to insipid vampire pseudo-erotica bugs me more.

Not even Chabon? :p No, fair enough. I think the reason they weren't there is primarily because most books sold in Australia are imported from Britain or so I assume. And I won't disagree with you on the disturbing, growing trend of Twilight-inspired faux-Gothic melodramas occupying more space in bookstores.

Salazar

Tim the Wiz said:
most books sold in Australia are imported from Britain or so I assume.

I buy from Amazon (Kindle), Bookdepository.co.uk, or second-hand bookstores on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane. And Berkelouw's in Eumundi. That more or less accounts for the spread of my purchases. The regular bookstores in Australia are having a sustained, harsh fucking laugh with their pricing: Borders, Dymocks, Angus & Robertson could close and I would shed not a millilitre of tears. Except for the facility Borders provides as an air-conditioned place to sit and flip through magazines, coffee table art and photography books, and magazines.

eznark

Banned
Just finished The Name of the Wind. I really liked it, couldn't put it down at parts. Fun read. When is the sequel supposed to be out?

Now the search for the next fiction read begins. Thinking The Manual of Detection is going to be it.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
No one knows, could be this year but i wouldn't get your hopes up. If you haven't read The Warded/Painted Man it worth a look, sequel will be out next month as well.

I finished Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Pretty good book. The ending seemed a little predicable, but the book was well-written, and I really liked it.

I began this one yesterday:

DragonFactoryUSAcover72dpi.jpg

It's a sequel to Patient Zero, which was a novel about... terrorist zombies. Pretty good stuff, I'm liking this book so far (I really liked PZ as well). Joe Ledger's on the trail of Nazis and crazed terrorists armed with some sort of genetic biological mutation technology or... something. Still awesome.

On a side note, can anyone recommend me any good science fiction horror novels in the vein of Alien, Event Horizon, or Dead Space? Or maybe something similar to the show Fringe? I'm having a hard time finding good science fiction horror for some reason.

Spike

Touchdown said:
b5fe419328a076831da8e110L.jpg

Just finished American Gods, also by Neil Gaiman which I thought was really dull and boring for the first 300 pages or so but then it redeemed itself toward the end. I'm only on the third chapter of Neverwhere and to me it's already 10x better than American Gods. :D

It really is. In fact, I would say that Neverwhere is his best novel.

Salazar

finowns said:
Cheapest book costs like $2000. You bought one?

Mein gott, no. I bought the trade hardback, which is still a gorgeously put-together book. It is, however, not a book I can read; I have no use for the book save for flipping through it and smiling at its oddities. Were it not so thoughtfully organised and superbly printed, I would never have considered buying it.

My upper limit is about $150 Australian. Beyond that, it would have to be a book I absolutely need for academic purposes, a genuinely rare book, or a terrific edition of something I know to be incomparably good (Shakespeare, Tolkien, Milton, Mencken).

Calvin Trillin's 'Alice, Let's Eat' is delightful. Really very dry.

_Isaac

Lafiel said:
Finished "Consider Phlebas" by Iain M Banks, a few days ago, good stuff. But the last 1/4 of it, wasn't as good as the first 3/4. Looking forward to reading "player of games" next, which i hear is better.

Now reading

51XcqaAV07L._SS500_.jpg

100 pages read so far.

Everybody loves this book, and I have no idea why. I still have the next two books on my shelf. I feel obligated to read through them, but I am just not interested at all. Ugh.

Salazar said:
, head and shoulders above Martin and Abercrombie. .

I read this and now I can't stop vomiting.

As for what I am currently reading...

n170060.jpg

JohnAdams_0.jpg

Enjoyed the HBO adaption so I picked up the book recently.

Alucard

Banned
_Isaac said:
Everybody loves this book, and I have no idea why. I still have the next two books on my shelf. I feel obligated to read through them, but I am just not interested at all. Ugh.

Sweet. Someone else who doesn't get the love for these books. I thought the second one was the best one, but the third really lays on the anti-religious message pretty thick.

Ryu

33920151.jpg

Finished this, pretty meh. Wasn't expecting Shakespeare or anything, but still meh.

52972159.JPG

Was going to start this next on a friend's recommendation. Anyone here read this before? Have an opinion on it? I'm a bit hesitant and I have tons of other things to read right now. Wondering if this is worth my time or not...

Mifune

Mehmber
921569.jpg

READ THIS BOOK.
Vikar has Montgomery Clift and Elizabeth Taylor from A Place in the Sun tattooed on his head. While getting lunch, some dude mistakes the two for James Dean and Natalie Wood and Vikar slams his lunch tray upside the guy's head. THIS IS ON PAGE TWO.

It's an incredible book about dreams, movies, and the place where the two intersect. READ IT.

Monocle

11hcpl2.jpg

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King

Excellent book. I recommend it to all of you. The easy, conversational quality of King's prose makes reading this book like having a long talk with a good friend. And the writing advice King dispenses is invaluable.

Edit:
Ryu said:
52972159.JPG

Was going to start this next on a friend's recommendation. Anyone here read this before? Have an opinion on it? I'm a bit hesitant and I have tons of other things to read right now. Wondering if this is worth my time or not...
The series is moderately entertaining until a little more than halfway through, when the authors' agenda becomes really overt. I've read worse, but trust me, when the preaching starts it's difficult to stay interested.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ryu said:
33920151.jpg

Finished this, pretty meh. Wasn't expecting Shakespeare or anything, but still meh.

:lol :lol :lol

You know it's gonna be rough when Tom Clancy's name is bigger than the author's. Dude is so rich now he doesn't even need to write his own books. Video game tie ins are always a gamble anyway - speaking of which I shall be starting the Dragon Age books shortly, making them the first fantasy books I shall have read. Maybe not the best start to the genre but at least I'll care about the universe a little.

Monocle

Jedeye Sniv said:
:lol :lol :lol

You know it's gonna be rough when Tom Clancy's name is bigger than the author's. Dude is so rich now he doesn't even need to write his own books. Video game tie ins are always a gamble anyway - speaking of which I shall be starting the Dragon Age books shortly, making them the first fantasy books I shall have read. Maybe not the best start to the genre but at least I'll care about the universe a little.
Uh-oh. If those kill your appetite for fantasy, just be sure to read Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series before you quit the genre.

Pappasman said:
I strongly recommend the Pevear & Volokhonsky translation of Crime and Punishment. It is elegant where the Garnett translation (available for free online, by the way) is awkward. I can't claim to have read through both editions, but based on scattered comparisons I'm confident my opinion is accurate.

An example from the first several pages:

Garnett
He was so badly dressed that even a man accustomed to shabbiness would have been ashamed to be seen in the street in such rags. In that quarter of the town, however, scarcely any shortcoming in dress would have created surprise. Owing to the proximity of the Hay Market, the number of establishments of bad character, the preponderance of the trading and working class population crowded in these streets and alleys in the heart of Petersburg, types so various were to be seen in the streets that no figure, however queer, would have caused surprise. But there was such accumulated bitterness and contempt in the young man's heart, that, in spite of all the fastidiousness of youth, he minded his rags least of all in the street.
Pevear & Volokhonsky
He was so badly dressed that another man, even an accustomed one, would have been ashamed to go out in such rags during the daytime. However, the neighborhood was such that it was hard to cause any surprise with one's dress. The proximity of the Haymarket, the abundance of certain establishments, a population predominantly of craftsmen and artisans, who clustered in these central Petersburg streets and lanes, sometimes produced such a motley of types in the general panorama that to be surprised at meeting any sort of figure would even have been strange. But so much spiteful contempt was already stored up in the young man's soul that, for all his sometimes very youthful touchiness, he was least ashamed of his rags in the street.
Of course, being translations of the same work, the two versions can be quite similar. But there still I favor Pevear & Volokhonsky:

Garnett
Marmeladov stopped short, as though his voice had failed him. Then he hurriedly filled his glass, drank, and cleared his throat.

"Since then, sir," he went on after a brief pause--"Since then, owing to an unfortunate occurrence and through information given by evil-intentioned persons--in all which Darya Frantsovna took a leading part on the pretext that she had been treated with want of respect--since then my daughter Sofya Semyonovna has been forced to take a yellow ticket, and owing to that she is unable to go on living with us. [. . .]"
Pevear & Volokhonsky
Marmeladov fell silent, as though his voice had failed him. Then suddenly he poured a quick glass, drank it, and grunted.

"Since then, my dear sir," he went on after some silence, "since then, owing to an unfortunate occurrence and reports made by ill-meaning persons—which Darya Frantsevna especially abetted, on the pretext that she had not been shown due respect—since then my daughter, Sofya Semyonovna, has been obliged to carry a yellow pass, and under such circumstances could no longer remain with us. [. . .]"

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Monocle said:
Uh-oh. If those kill your appetite for fantasy, just be sure to read Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series before you quit the genre.

I'm definitely a bit weary of fantasy but I'm giving DA the benefit of the doubt since I've been really impressed with the quality of Bioware's Mass Effect stuff, and I think getting the game's writer on board gives it an authenticity it wouldn't otherwise have. Usually though I find fantasy a bit boring, and I find the fashion to have numerous massive books in a series to be very off putting. Even that Song of Fire and Ice that everyone loves sounds like too much work to be fun (and this is coming from somebody whose favourite books include Illuminatus! and Foucoult's Pendulum...).

Fingers crossed!

EDIT: actually, the synopsis for that Wilde book sounds awesome, very similar to Nightwings which I read recently. I'll add it to my list I think.

KingGondo

Banned
Ryu said:

You're surprised that a ghostwritten 'Tom Clancy's' book based on a video game is bad? Aim higher.

And Left Behind is fearmongering, propagandistic, small-minded garbage... Don't waste your time. Not to mention that my friends who like it still complained that they stretched the series out way too long. It's a racket designed to get you to buy as many books as possible to support LaHaye and Jenkins.

eznark

Banned
What author isn't trying tio get you to buy as many books as possible?

I have not read them but based on hearsay and opinion it sounds like The Golden Compass and Left Behind series are just two different sides of the same preaching coin.

KingGondo

Banned
eznark said:
What author isn't trying tio get you to buy as many books as possible?

I have not read them but based on hearsay and opinion it sounds like The Golden Compass and Left Behind series are just two different sides of the same preaching coin.
His Dark Materials is just a trilogy, with a cogent beginning, middle and end. (P.S. I tried reading The Golden Compass and didn't particularly enjoy it, FYI.)

Left Behind, from what people told me, got to a point when each book contained extremely little development in the plot, or failed to deliver on resolution of plot points from previous books. In other words, it was like LaHaye and Jenkins were stringing their faithful readers along in order to sell more books, knowing that they'd buy whatever was published under the "Left Behind" name. (Like you, I also have not read it and my opinion is based on what nearly everybody I know who read the books told me.)

Of course there are many authors who do this, I just find it distasteful when it's done in the name of religion, and to support what I regard as a ministry of apocalyptic fearmongering.

Monocle

eznark said:
My comparison on HDM was the preachiness, not the number of books.
Unless HDM features millions of people standing around worshiping all day, I think it's got an edge on the Left Behind series.

C-Jo

I finished up Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World a few days ago and I enjoyed it quite a bit. But really, I don't exactly have a legitimate frame of reference at this point.

Rather than going with back-to-back Murakami, I decided to take a bit of a break with this:

6a00c2251d77a7549d0123ddd6c12f860c-.jpg

I'm only a couple chapters in, but so far so good. It's definitely an interesting read while I'm smack in the middle of playing Yakuza 3.

KingGondo

Banned
eznark said:
My comparison on HDM was the preachiness, not the number of books.
Only got about halfway through The Amber Spyglass, but it definitely avoided any overt "preachiness" up to that point.

eznark

Banned
KingGondo said:
Only got about halfway through The Amber Spyglass, but it definitely avoided any overt "preachiness" up to that point.
Like I said I haven't read either of them but my that is my impression of both. Seems obvious in Left Behind and I still don't know anyone who has read past the first book of the dark materials series, and all (three or four, not exactly a huge number here, none religious) cite proselytizing as the reason they gave up.

Has anyone read Union Atlantic or The Manual of Detection? One of those is going to be next, not sure which.

CiSTM

Banned
mwb7t1.jpg

I'm really fascinated with all kinds of drug cartels and mafias. It never seizes to amaze me how people like Pablo Escobar could have runned such large scale operation. I mean man had fortune over $25 billion. Crazy stuff. Next Gomorrah.

Top Bottom