• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

Joining Goodreads has got me more excited to start using my Kindle again. Neat that it just downloaded samples of my to-read list. So this easter vacation I'm going all digital.

Danielsan

Another great classic that is very different from either of its movie adaptations is I am Legend by Robert Matheson. It's fucking amazing, and it's criminal how much the movie gets wrong.
Just added it to my to-read list on Goodreads. Seems relatively short at less than 200 pages, so I might just pick it up soon. Meanwhile I'm breezing through Alice. Digging it a lot, even though it reads a bit like fanfiction at times (it kind of is).

I'm reading The Drowning Pool by Ross MacDonald.

macdonald-drowning-pool-penguin.jpg

It's a 1950s crime novel, very much in the Chandler style, but showing a much sunnier California. Some lovely writing in it that doesn't fall into noir tropes, managing instead to find a slightly different path. I read somebody (forget who) a while back describe him as America's greatest crime writer, which, you know, is a big call (Jim Thompson wants to fight about it etc) but MacDonald is really very good. This is the second in his novels featuring Lew Archer, his PI, and it's really recommended should you like that sort of thing.

Re: I Am Legend - the whole point was that
Will Smiths character is the bad guy and humanity has moved on without him
but Hollywood needs its happy ending. Still I think it's a better adaptation of its source than The Postman or Make Room! Make Room! (Soylent Green). Those two books are phenomenal and the movies they were turned into are jokes. Especially Soylent. The book had a real message about the importance of preserving nature and conservation of resources and the worries of overpopulation but the movie is just "Soylent green is people!" which isn't even a thing in the book. :/

You will like my book then, it's an existential detective novel set in a noirish, bladerunner/1984 esque society governed by a huge Police order. It's about a detective trying to come to grips with his past as he tries to solve a case that will give him a future but how far does the rabbit hole go in this city of vice, megacorporations, lies, and musical violent gangs.
If you're being serious I want to be one of your first customers. That book is exactly what I'm looking to read right now. Something Altered Carbon-ish.

Apt101

I just finished Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows. Man it went dark. Great storytelling.

About to see what new contemporary fantasy books are out. I'm in the mood.

Number45

Read The Silmarillion!
I think I'll count this as the hardest book I've started to read and actually finished. The opening is serious WTF material that ultimately makes sense as you go on.

As far as my limited biblical understanding goes it's essentially
Genesis
in middle earth? Probably an unnecessary spoiler there, but in case someone wants to be WTF'ed the same way I was I'll leave it in there.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat

At the point where I'm probably going to finish this. Not soon, though, because this guy loves his big words and minute descriptions. I agree with putting heavy detail into sci-fi or fantasy aspects, but not for a microwave dinner. It's not unreadable or unbearable, though.

Re: I Am Legend - the whole point was that
Will Smiths character is the bad guy and humanity has moved on without him
but Hollywood needs its happy ending. Still I think it's a better adaptation of its source than The Postman or Make Room! Make Room! (Soylent Green). Those two books are phenomenal and the movies they were turned into are jokes. Especially Soylent. The book had a real message about the importance of preserving nature and conservation of resources and the worries of overpopulation but the movie is just "Soylent green is people!" which isn't even a thing in the book. :/

If you're being serious I want to be one of your first customers. That book is exactly what I'm looking to read right now. Something Altered Carbon-ish.

I'm being totally serious, it also has a lovecraftian twist to it. I should be able to finish and release it this year.

Yes that is kind of the point of I Am Legend, the movie also didn't nail the characters dysfunctions IMO. The film wasn't lonely enough, and missed the bits where during the years he's spent
vampire hunting and trying to find a cure for the disease so he can stop killing people. Trying different methods on vampires by going as far as abducting his jewish neighbor turned vampire, and reading the Torah in front of him because Christian religious artifacts and the bible had no effect.

Just finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and rewatched the movie right after. God the movie is so much better, the book was filled with really silly events and stupid exposition, like in the Shrieking Shack where they just kept talking and talking, it was so boring and in the film its fast paced and one of the great moments of the movie. In the film Hermione is almost as important as Harry and in the book she's almost nonexistent plus the going back in time thing was much better executed in the adaptation. Good film, shitty book, but it's still fun to read if you want to know what happens throughout the school year, where in the film it goes by way too fast!

Now I can't wait to see if it's the inverse with the Goblet of Fire where the film is ass but the book is good? I hope so.

Pau

Just finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and rewatched the movie right after. God the movie is so much better, the book was filled with really silly events and stupid exposition, like in the Shrieking Shack where they just kept talking and talking, it was so boring and in the film its fast paced and one of the great moments of the movie. In the film Hermione is almost as important as Harry and in the book she's almost nonexistent plus the going back in time thing was much better executed in the adaptation. Good film, shitty book, but it's still fun to read if you want to know what happens throughout the school year, where in the film it goes by way too fast!

Now I can't wait to see if it's the inverse with the Goblet of Fire where the film is ass but the book is good? I hope so.
I've always thought that the movie took out the best parts of the book. :O It's my favorite in the series.

I've always thought that the movie took out the best parts of the book. :O It's my favorite in the series.
I could see how some would prefer the book because they changed a lot of things, even the movie is totally different from the first two but I think it sets the tone perfectly for the rest of the series, even the beginning of the Ron/Hermione romance is hinted a lot more in the adaptation. But I thought that in the book there were too many moments where Harry was just at the right place to hear everything important that every other characters has to say. There's sooo much exposition that by the end I was really bored, where in the film they just gloss over some of these subjects or downright don't explain it at all, which was fine by me but I really understand how it could bother some of the readers. I had seen the film a couple of times before reading the book, so it was still fun to get a more throughout explanation on certain things, but I really didn't need to know that much.

Did you read the book first or after watching the film?

Pau

I could see how some would prefer the book because they changed a lot of things, even the movie is totally different from the first two but I think it sets the tone perfectly for the rest of the series, even the beginning of the Ron/Hermione romance is hinted a lot more in the adaptation. But I thought that in the book there were too many moments where Harry was just at the right place to hear everything important that every other characters has to say. There's sooo much exposition that by the end I was really bored, where in the film they just gloss over some of these subjects or downright don't explain it at all, which was fine by me but I really understand how it could bother some of the readers. I had seen the film a couple of times before reading the book, so it was still fun to get a more throughout explanation on certain things, but I really didn't need to know that much.

Did you read the book first or after watching the film?
I read the book first. I think my problem is that I actually don't like Harry and the main cast, so Harry just kind of being there to hear more interesting people talk worked in my favor. :p I understand though why the film cut all the excess info and it's actually my favorite of the movies.

Danielsan

Finished up on Alice, bit disappointing to be honest. The encounters with both the main antagonists were wholly underwhelming and everything got tied up a neat little bow. It kind of reminded me of a video game, going from boss to boss, with no sense of danger towards the protagonist.

I have good hopes for my next book though, which is Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Joining Goodreads has got me more excited to start using my Kindle again. Neat that it just downloaded samples of my to-read list. So this easter vacation I'm going all digital.

The Kindle and Goodreads combination is pretty damn good, going digital can be pretty handy. Btw have you guys heard of Kindle first? Each month they have 6 new book and you can get one at discount or free if you have prime. I might get The Light of the Fireflies for 2 bucks.

Pau

My Twitter tweets what I rate books when I finish and the editor of the last book responded. D: Now I feel bad about giving the book only three stars...

Sean C

Peter%20Pan%20cover_zpses2wtpda.jpg

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie: This is a property that is so widely-known in pop culture that I was interested to go back to the original source (well, that would be the play, I guess, but the novel is the Barrie work that most people actually read). The most famous iteration of this story is the 1953 Disney version, of course, and when you consider how many of their adaptations stray wildly from the source, their Peter Pan is quite faithful, albeit toned down (there's quite a lot of killing here, even by John and Michael). A lot of details you would guess might have been made up, like the kids have a dog for a nanny, are actually from the book. Barrie's very active narrative voice is consistently fun. The final chapter, which hasn't made it into other media adaptations much, is intriguingly wistful, though at the same time the final paragraph of the preceding chapter is also very obviously written as if to be a conclusion to the novel.

Also, yes, the "redskins" are pretty racist in the original form too. Though Tiger Lilly is a warrior in this novel.

Woorloog

Banned
Towers of Midnight read, one more Wheel of Time book left.

While the series' length is somewhat tiring, it is also kind of a strong point. It leaves time for details, makes it feel kind of real. Events are not too compressed. Of course, it would perhaps be better if it had fewer view point characters and would span more than about three years but... *shrugs*

It is interesting how the change of author changes the tone and style. Sanderson's style is similar to Jordan's, Sanderson is a Wheel of Time fan after all, with the series being an inspiration for him. But the styles are not identical, of course. There is something that feels different in the last three books. But nothing i can pinpoint, and i couldn't not find examples if i were asked.
It is interesting how different authors texts feel different, even though they use the same words and language, yet in a way they don't.

Mumei

I finished Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho today, and it was .... okay. I don't think I have met a character who was quite so blatant a Mary Sue as Prunella Gentleman since Ayla, and at least she had the decency to wait until the third book before her full Mary Sueness was revealed to us. I won't say I didn't like it; it had funny moments and I thought its use of non-white protagonists in a Age of Discovery era British-ish setting was a great choice, but it just felt so incredibly lightweight. Susanna Clarke it is not, and a pox on Naomi Novik and her pull-quote for leading me to hope otherwise.

kswiston

I finished Blood of Kings and moved onto The Tyrant's Law today. I will probably just power through the rest of the Dagger and Coin series and then switch away from Fantasy for a bit.

Decided to get back into the Bible and finished the book of Leviticus. The whole thing is basically God saying to Moses how he wants this whole Judaism thing run. How sacrifices are supposed to be made, the consecration of Aaron and his sons as priests, rules about cleanliness, what makes you clean or unclean, and what you can and can't do, all the "don't do this or you will die/be cut off from your people" rules, and holidays. God also says "I am the Lord" over and over at random points. Numbers seems to get the Israelites moving somewhere.

I've also been re-reading the Harry Potter series. Done with Sorcerer's Stone, in the middle of Chamber of Secrets.

I started reading this the other day and while it is pretty entertaining, it is also pretty troublesome at the same time. I've read several Navy SEALs books in the last few years and this one is probably the most interesting read about the training/BUD/s/Hell Week/all of that.

What is off-putting to me is just how damn racist and conservative and hypocritical Luttrell is. I get some of the "Towel-Head" comments he makes. I have military friends. I disagree with it but it's something that is common when it comes to guys who have served in the Middle East. I get making fun of turbans or burkas and whatever else. But he constantly throws muslims under the bus. He constantly talks about how savage and ruthless they are.

But then the next minute complains about how liberals and the liberal media attacks and generalizes SEALs and other military. He jokes about and brags about how strong and powerful the SEALs are. He complains about rules of engagement on one page, complaining about how they cannot do their job because they are not allowed the freedom to shoot literally any and every male in the Afghan mountains who could be a fighter, and then the next page complains about how unfairly soldiers are treated when things go wrong.

I get it. I get how hard it has to be. How he has to identify without a doubt who fighters are and how many of these same fighters know the rules of engagement and know how to bend them and get around them, but at the same time... come on. That's what I keep saying to myself as I'm reading this. Come on.

Not to mention how he constantly, and I mean constantly talks about how good the SEALs are but never mentions any other special forces. I'm almost halfway through the book and he's mentioned the British SAS and how comparable their training is to SEALs training, he mentioned a Green Beret, he mentioned Army Rangers, and he mentioned going to Delta medic school. He talks about how much SEALs benefit the Marines in their recon and surveillance efforts.

Not once has he talked (at least thus far) about the sacrifices and battles that Delta has gone through, or Force Recon, or any other branch. I get the not-so-friendly branch rivalry thing that many of these SOF guys have but at least other books and authors mention it. Mark Owen talks about some of the deeds of other branches in his SEAL books. Dalton Fury talks with admiration and honesty about SEALs in his Delta book. Chris Kyle brags a bit about some Delta and Green Berets in his book. Luttrell acts like SEALs were the only force over there doing anything. Which is obviously a load of bullshit, but what can you expect I suppose.

Speaking of American Sniper, I know Chris Kyle got a lot of shit about his book. A lot of people talking about racism and some of the liberties he took with the truth (and the fabrication of outright lies), but at least thus far Lone Survivor is much worse when it comes to racism and bigotry and slander. Maybe I missed it, but how come Lone Survivor and Luttrell didn't get in more shit for this book?

I'm going to continue with this because of how much I love the story of Operation Redwing and how much I enjoy the movie, but I can't see myself enjoying Luttrell and his writing all that much.

fakefaker

Finished up All True Not a Lie in It by Alix Hawley and thought it was pretty good if not a little frustrating. Now to finish reading World of Trouble by Ben H. Winters.

18691070.jpg

Number45

Decided to get back into the Bible and finished the book of Leviticus. The whole thing is basically God saying to Moses how he wants this whole Judaism thing run. How sacrifices are supposed to be made, the consecration of Aaron and his sons as priests, rules about cleanliness, what makes you clean or unclean, and what you can and can't do, all the "don't do this or you will die/be cut off from your people" rules, and holidays. God also says "I am the Lord" over and over at random points. Numbers seems to get the Israelites moving somewhere.
I've been wanting to make the effort and read the bible for years but I don't really know where to start. Any recommendations on editions or where to start?

To say I am Legend got it wrong is a massive understatement. It's like the polar opposite of the message of the book. Was hugely disappointed with that movie.

Have you see the other adaptions of the book? There is Omega Man starring Charlton Heston, and Vincent Price in The Last Man on Earth. Despite the miscast of Price as the main character, I think The Last Man on Earth might be the best one for book readers. I actually didn't mind I am Legend the movie, I just had to separate it from the book.

The influence of I am Legend the novel is pretty amazing. Romero basically stole the idea of Night of the Living Dead from it (he even told Matheson he ripped him off). So everything from Walking Dead to 28 Days Later owes a debt to the book.

Pau

Really enjoying Novik's Uprooted. The magic system isn't anything new, but I like the way she describes it. The book feels like it has several book's worth of plot but the pacing still works. A lot happens. About half way through.

Cyan

Banned
I just started reading Updraft since it's shown up on various shortlists and it feels very YA dystopia in structure. Hopefully that doesn't persist...

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I just started reading Updraft since it's shown up on various shortlists and it feels very YA dystopia in structure. Hopefully that doesn't persist...

Updraft has some structural issues, but I found the cast, and the main character in particular, likable and interesting, and the worldbuilding is fascinating.

Apt101

The Broken Sword, Poul Thomas Anderson (no Thomas). I am loving this book. Apparently it's super popular and was published at the same time as The Lord of the Rings, yet I hadn't heard about it until this morning. Well it's some of the best fantasy I've ever read thus far. I love the imagery.

besada

Banned
LptHqh1.jpg

An out of date, but still interesting book, on woodcarving.
wMmnAB9.jpg

Finished it last night. I really enjoyed it, but I think you'd need to be a fairly serious Vorkosigan fan to really get into it, as it's functionally a romance novel with a little bit of Miles fanservice thrown in. There's not much going on other than the central story of Cordelia and Admiral Jole, although if you are a fan there are some real surprises in store for you.

I'm starting N.K. Jemisin's Inheritance Trilogy next:
OIizXxB.jpg

TTG

How about Sanderson, can I throw him in a fire?

I've read about 50 pages of his total and it wasn't all that bad, but anything to free this thread from his yoke, honestly. SPARKS!

Bandit1

^ Love Jurassic Park, the book and the movie. Read it several years ago and meant to follow up with The Lost World but never did.

Just started In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson will have to check out some of mumei's reccomendations from the last page.

Ovid

Since I have a little over a month remaining this semester I was going to take a break from reading. However, this book was on my hold list and just became available.

bIjoxMF.jpg

I guess the break will have to wait.

Mumei

Fave Le Guin book?

It is a toss-up between The Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed, which is quite probably the most unadventurous answer you're going to get from anyone.

I also really enjoyed the Earthsea Cycle, specifically the first three books, though not quite as much as the aforementioned. I have been meaning to reread them ever since reading BorkBork's write-ups to see how I feel about them now, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Pau

Fave Le Guin book?
Probably Tombs of Atuan. But I've yet to reread any of the Hainish novels.

I think I still have one more novel to read, but I can't remember which one. D:

Favorite short story collection goes to The Birthday of the World.

SolKane

On to this now:

AlltheKing_0.jpg

Finished this weekend. This novel was incredibly dense so I feel there's still a lot to unpack. I do have to say though, Warren is capable of truly amazing descriptive writing and similes. You could just pull pages at random from this book and have some of the most impressive English prose of the century. On one page he writes "In front of the house it is the sea" when a lesser writer would have spared the pleonastic.

How do YA and adult dystobia differ?
In my mind adult dystopia is about the disfunctions of government and society in general while YA seems to be more about romance and how the dystopia doesn't let the main character be themself and reach their full potential. They're beautiful, they're smart, they're courageous but the leaders (parents/teachers) won't let them do what they want to do.

In my mind adult dystopia is about the disfunctions of government and society in general while YA seems to be more about romance and how the dystopia doesn't let the main character be themself and reach their full potential. They're beautiful, they're smart, they're courageous but the leaders (parents/teachers) won't let them do what they want to do.

All right thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom