• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2015)

Cade

Huh. Desperation was the first King novel I've actually finished, and while I liked it I found it... very ham-fisted, almost laughably over the top with how far bad everything went and the weird
preachiness
of the story, the ending.. most of the book. I'll still read other King, but I came away vaguely underwhelmed.

AND YET I burned through it because it was quite a page-turner and the underlying mythology was cool.

I found this in a Hasting's and thought what the hell:
on_stranger_tides_book.png

So that's what I'm starting.

Piecake

Just finished The Blind Owl today. Fantastic and a bit confusing. I should reread it... eventually.

What is it that you were going to propose that I read?

You should read Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America by Gilbert King

Cade

Son of a bitch I had no idea about The Regulators. Well, sorry On Stranger Tides, but a quick check at my library's digital lending had it in stock and ready to go so now I'm reading this:
TheRegulators.jpg

before I forget all about everything that happened in Desperation.

Jintor

So I read the sample for City of Stairs and I think I'm gonna read that next.

I should also look into my (home) local library's digital lending, see if that even exists.

Cade

So I read the sample for City of Stairs and I think I'm gonna read that next.

I should also look into my (home) local library's digital lending, see if that even exists.

It's incredible if you do have it. It's future as hell. I learned about a book, then four minutes later I checked to see if it was in stock and seconds later I was flipping through the chapter list on my Kindle.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
All of this love for City of Stairs makes me very, very happy. It's a terrific novel.

Laekon

Been reading through John Scalzi's Old Man's War series. It's a fun read and some interesting world building. I only just started the 3rd but each one has a different story type which is good. At around 300 pages each since it's a fairly simple story I would only get them at the library or for a $1 or $2 a book.

Jintor

Ugh no support for kindle on my library's e-lending program. what's even the point? reading on an ipad or my computer, I may as well be watching anime or playing games in terms of eyestrain...

besada

Banned
I took a break from the Hugo reading to read Stephenson's Seveneves. I bought it this afternoon at two, and four hours later was about thirty percent through it. I've missed Stephenson's writing, and his tangents, and his entire chapters about stuff that's fascinating but of absolutely no use to the plot. He can indulge himself as much as he likes, when it comes to me, because I find his indulgences to be at least as entertaining as the more important stuff.

I'm really enjoying the book. It's rare to run across good hard science fiction, and so far it's as hard as can be (barring possible later revelations regarding the Agent). I'll probably finish tomorrow, and then I will be sad.

Heh. Unfortunately I believe he cannot do that because he is limited to ebooks.

The Diamond Age is on my to-read list!

*thumbs up*

You've already made good on your end of the book exchange, though (thank you again for that). I think, therefore, it's time I take up The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. Unless you have something else you feel more strongly about? :)

Mumei

*thumbs up*

You've already made good on your end of the book exchange, though (thank you again for that). I think, therefore, it's time I take up The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. Unless you have something else you feel more strongly about? :)

There are things that I am feeling more strongly about at the moment, since I last read it in 2011, but I think that's actually a perfect trade since it's of similar length and similarly light.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts! September's a fantastic protagonist. <3

Necrovex

Just finished The Blind Owl today. Fantastic and a bit confusing. I should reread it... eventually.

What is it that you were going to propose that I read?

I'm currently debating about three books, The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Manning's Pultzer-winning biography on Malcolm X, or A Long Walk to Freedom (I researched the hell out of this book a few years back but I'm doing an official read of it now).

But I would probably have you read the autobiography first. For someone so into racial conflict, I'm shocked you haven't read more about Malcolm X.

Mumei

I'm currently debating about three books, The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Manning's Pultzer-winning biography on Malcolm X, or A Long Walk to Freedom (I researched the hell out of this book a few years back but I'm doing an official read of it now).

But I would probably have you read the autobiography first. For someone so into racial conflict, I'm shocked you haven't read more about Malcolm X.

Looking at the books on race in America that I've read, I've shown less interest in individual biographies than in broader historical issues. I'm not sure why; there's no lack for compelling figures, after all. I think it just had to do with what I was interested in learning, which was the big picture.

Anyway. I would like to read it eventually, but I'd rather wait until I feel the itch in this case.

Necrovex

Looking at the books on race in America that I've read, I've shown less interest in individual biographies than in broader historical issues. I'm not sure why; there's no lack for compelling figures, after all. I think it just had to do with what I was interested in learning, which was the big picture.

Anyway. I would like to read it eventually, but I'd rather wait until I feel the itch in this case.

Manning does a fantastic job in painting the context behind each of Malcolm's individual moments. So you will get your historical moments. The autobiography is great for its raw, truthful moments regarding race in America. People should know more about the mysterious figure that is Malcolm X. Plus the autobiography is Pau-approved.

dukeoflegs

Finished Solar Lottery and just started Cat's Cradle. Solar Lottery is probably the first PKD book I've been disappointed in. Cat's Cradle will be the first Kurt Vonnegut book I'll read so hopefully that's a good choice.
I usually need a week off from reading one book before I start another.

Necrovex

Finished Solar Lottery and just started Cat's Cradle. Solar Lottery is probably the first PKD book I've been disappointed in. Cat's Cradle will be the first Kurt Vonnegut book I'll read so hopefully that's a good choice.
I usually need a week off from reading one book before I start another.

I love Vonnegut but I disliked Cat's Cradle. So if you don't like that book, don't be put off by his other works. A Man Without a Country still remains one of my favorites novels by him.

faridmon

I am having tough time finishing a book these days, so now that I have holidays for a week, full effort will go into this book, hopefully i finish it.

The_Other_Hand.jpg

I love Vonnegut but I disliked Cat's Cradle. So if you don't like that book, don't be put off by his other works. A Man Without a Country still remains one of my favorites novels by him.

Slaughter House V is still my favorite thing of his that I read. Cat's Cradle is great, but it does take some thinking and pulling apart to truly appreciate, I think. So much of the novel flies by that it's easy to not really absorb what's going on.

Breakfast of Champions is similar that way, but I think it's a bit more immediate. Kind of a middle ground between Slaughter House V and Cat's Cradle.

Nymerio

Been reading through John Scalzi's Old Man's War series. It's a fun read and some interesting world building. I only just started the 3rd but each one has a different story type which is good. At around 300 pages each since it's a fairly simple story I would only get them at the library or for a $1 or $2 a book.

ooh, didn't know there's already a third book out.

wow I'm an idiot, there are like hundreds of old man's war books oO

Ultima_5

I didn't want to make a thread about this but I figured this would be the best place to ask. I've recently read slaughter house five and really enjoyed it. I'm currently making my way through breakfast of champions. Any other Kurt Vonnegut books I should check out? I never read him before and I've been really digging his bits of black humor and the premise of a lot of the novels. Didn't know he put in a lot of scientific twist. Also love how he self inserts himself quite a bit. I feel I'm at just the right age to enjoy it (early twenties).

Also with Harper lees book coming out this summer, someone should make a GAF book club for to kill a mockingbird. I read it back in high school but I plan on rereading it in anticipation of her next book. Thank you!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Finished Seveneves. Fun, but exhibits your standard Stephenson problems. He just runs out of steam in the last third. Also this should have been two books.

Nymerio

And there's going to be more. He just got paid $3.4 million by Tor for 13 novels...

Oh wow, I don't know where I got the impression that the series just started. Somehow came upon the second book this year and thought his only up to two books so far. Well, guess now I now what I'll be reading in the near future.

aidan

Do you have preliminary impressions? I haven't read any of his books before, and a store nearby has signed copies.

I haven't had a chance to start it yet, actually. Like you, I've never read any Stephenson, and usually find his work too intimidating to even contemplate, but I'm really curious about Seveneves. Probably because I recently watched Interstellar and am on the hunt for Noah's Ark-style SF.

Piecake

I've been seeing a lot of people talk about this book. Is it really that good?

I read it about a year ago and it is the best book that I have read in the last 5 years or so. It is simply a sad, beautifully written story about a person's life filled with great characters.

There are things that I am feeling more strongly about at the moment, since I last read it in 2011, but I think that's actually a perfect trade since it's of similar length and similarly light.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts! September's a fantastic protagonist. <3

Nice. As soon as I finish the Goblin Emperor, I'll get on that. I just love that name.

I also saw you're at 50%. Still light or covered in scotch yet? :3

I haven't had a chance to start it yet, actually. Like you, I've never read any Stephenson, and usually find his work too intimidating to even contemplate, but I'm really curious about Seveneves. Probably because I recently watched Interstellar and am on the hunt for Noah's Ark-style SF.

Maybe warm up with one of his earlier books? They're quick reads and highly entertaining. Jumping right into this one, you might find it a bit like going from 0 to dense fudge cake covered in caramel decorated with green beetles surrounded by tin toy soldiers hidden under a lace veil in a room underground guarded by a leopard. After Cryptonomicon I found his Baroque Cycle a bit like that. Everything felt a bit sloggy\dense\covered in beetles compared to Snow Crash, Diamond Age, etc.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Snow Crash is almost satirical in its approach to cyberpunk, from a modern perspective, so if you want to ease into it it's a good a place to start as any.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Read Naomi Novik's Uprooted today.

I wanted to like it a lot more than I did. I think it has a great setup, some wonderful atmosphere in the forest.. and then it goes into castles, kings, action scenes and why did you do this to me, Novik.

Woorloog

Banned
Noah's Ark-style scifi?
I haven't read this myself (would if i'd find it from a bookstore or library) but going by description and a recommendation, Poul Anderson's Tau Zero might be one. Hard sci-fi to boot.

Haly

Novik has two modes: Action adventure and travelogue writing.

Though you're the first reader I've encountered who preferred her travelogues to her action stories.

aidan

Maybe warm up with one of his earlier books? They're quick reads and highly entertaining. Jumping right into this one, you might find it a bit like going from 0 to dense fudge cake covered in caramel decorated with green beetles surrounded by tin toy soldiers hidden under a lace veil in a room underground guarded by a leopard. After Cryptonomicon I found his Baroque Cycle a bit like that. Everything felt a bit sloggy\dense\covered in beetles compared to Snow Crash, Diamond Age, etc.

That is... quite the analogy. Thanks for the advice.

Noah's Ark-style scifi?
I haven't read this myself (would if i'd find it from a bookstore or library) but going by description and a recommendation, Poul Anderson's Tau Zero might be one. Hard sci-fi to boot.

It's just a term I made up on the spot—humanity's on its last legs, the Earth is about the be destroyed, and a small, intrepid group must embark on a perilous mission to ensure humanity's survival.

Sounds like only the beginning of Seveneves really hits on this archetype, though.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Novik has two modes: Action adventure and travelogue writing.

Though you're the first reader I've encountered who preferred her travelogues to her action stories.

I quite like her action adventure in the Temeraire books, but Uprooted felt like it was better suited to a slower method of story telling. Novik takes every opportunity to throw that out the window, though.

Haly

You're describing Space Battleship Yamato, Aiden. But I vaguely recall you saying you've watched it already.

Woorloog

Banned
It's just a term I made up on the spot—humanity's on its last legs, the Earth is about the be destroyed, and a small, intrepid group must embark on a perilous mission to ensure humanity's survival.

Oh, i see. Tau Zero is not quite that, i guess.

Based on your description, one young adult scifi came to my mind immediately, Monica Hughes' Devil on My Back. Very Noah's Ark-like.
Not sure if i'd recommend it, it has been so very long time since i read it.

What else... i kind of feel like i've read something matching your idea but i am not sure...

dream

Just finished it. I WILL buy no. 2 on day 1, but I cannot believe this can last 26-ish volumes.

But two? K, sign me up. (text trickery aside, this is good stuff)

I don't think it will either, but I'm hoping against hope just because I love how insanely ambitious this project is. Didn't Danielewski say that he's written the first ten volumes?

3077986.jpg

Just started on this, and it's difficult so far. The prose is very indirect, and characters and conversations melds into one another. Saul Bellow says Hawkes is good, so I'll keep trying.

Top Bottom