• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2017)

thomaser

Finished Nassim Nicholas Taleb's "The Black Swan", which was truly eye-opening. I have to spend some time thinking about it, and want to try using some of its ideas in my personal life, especially regarding investments. Also, Taleb is the most bad-ass thinker I have come across. Would love to hear him speak!

themartianchronicle_raybradbury.png

Now, starting Ray Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles".

DemWalls

Just finished Half a War by Abercrombie.
Hot take, but it probably is my favourite in the trilogy, by far. In fact, I'm actually quite surprised by the relatively low Goodreads rating. No way this is just "0.03 points better" than Half a King. No accounting for taste, I guess.

Jag

Just finished Half a War by Abercrombie.
Hot take, but it probably is my favourite in the trilogy, by far. In fact, I'm actually quite surprised by the relatively low Goodreads rating. No way this is just "0.03 points better" than Half a King. No accounting for taste, I guess.

Half the World was my favorite, but I wasn't disappointed by the finale.

arkon

I checked it out, and while it sounds interesting, it's also 30 books long. I'm not opposed to long series or anything, but that's still a huge, huge commitment. Same thing with the Commonwealth series another poster suggested, which is like 10 books.

If it's really what I'm looking for, I'll read it eventually, but I'm hoping to find something more digestible.

It's not 30 books long. I take it you had a quick skim of the wikipedia page? Some of those books listed in the numbered section are omnibus collections of the individual novels or novellas. So you've got duplicate entries. Also the novels are shorter than the Kingkiller Chronicles. So it's not as big an undertaking as it appears.

Mumei

You are adorable.

It's not 30 books long. I take it you had a quick skim of the wikipedia page? Some of those books listed in the numbered section are omnibus collections of the individual novels or novellas. So you've got duplicate entries. Also the novels are shorter than the Kingkiller Chronicles. So it's not as big an undertaking as it appears.

Indeed. They are also not especially long novels. For instance, my copy of Cordelia's Honor has Shards of Honor at ~255 pages and Barrayar at ~335; my copy of Young Miles has Warrior's Apprentice at ~260 pages and The Vor Game at ~250 pages. These aren't doorstoppers—generally 250–350 pages for the novels. They are also pretty breezily written. It's not dense reading.

And here's a handy guide:

Cordelia's Honor (omnibus)
- Shards of Honor (novel)
- Barrayar (novel)

Young Miles (omnibus)
- The Warrior's Apprentice (novel)
- The Mountains of Mourning (novella)
- The Vor Game (novel)

Miles, Mystery, and Mayhem (omnibus)
- Cetaganda (novel)
- Ethan of Athos (novel)
- Labyrinth (novella)

Miles Errant (omnibus)
- The Borders of Infinity (novella)
- Brothers in Arms (novel)
- Mirror Dance (novel)

- Memory (not collected in an omnibus, definitely don't skip)

Miles in Love (omnibus)
- Komarr (novel)
- A Civil Campaign (novel)
- Winterfair Gifts (novella)

Miles, Mutants, and Microbes (omnibus)
- Falling Free (novel; chronologically the first in the series, by hundreds of years)
- Diplomatic Immunity (novel; setting tied in with Falling Free, and chronologically comes after the events in A Civil Campaign, so it makes sense to pair those two).
- Labyrinth (novella; reprint of Miles, Mystery and Mayhem story)

And these novels have not been collected in an omnibus:

- Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (novel)
- Cryoburn (novel)
- Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen (novel)

kswiston

I checked it out, and while it sounds interesting, it's also 30 books long. I'm not opposed to long series or anything, but that's still a huge, huge commitment. Same thing with the Commonwealth series another poster suggested, which is like 10 books.

If it's really what I'm looking for, I'll read it eventually, but I'm hoping to find something more digestible.

The Vorkosigan Saga spans 16 novels and 4 novellas (there are also a few short stories). Three of the novellas are part of a round-up novel. EDIT: You can also go the Omnibus route that Mumei highlighted above.

If you want to read everything, it is about 6350 pages. For comparison, the 5 Song of Ice and Fire novels run close to 4300 pages. Closer to 4800 if you throw in the novellas and short stories.

That said, you could probably skip the first 3 Vorkosigan books (and Ethan of Athos) and just focus on the main narrative with Miles, starting with the Warrior's apprentice. That would save you about 1000 pages. The series is pretty good at referencing itself if you haven't read everything. You could go back and read what you missed after that.

I'm almost done with At the Mountains of Madness. I've never read Lovecraft before, but I hope this story isn't indicative of his work because good god is it boring. Scary alien monsters become considerably less scary when you spend a paragraph describing their preferences for the style and placement of their fucking living room furniture.

Also, a geologist spends like five minutes looking at ancient hieroglyphs and can instantly decipher an alien species' entire history that spans the age of the Earth? Yeah no. I don't think so buddy.

Stopped by The Strand in NYC today with my gf (first time) and picked up the first book in the Powder Mage trilogy, as well as Dragonbone Chair (Tad Williams series).

Never read either but heard good things!

I'm almost done with At the Mountains of Madness. I've never read Lovecraft before, but I hope this story isn't indicative of his work because good god is it boring. Scary alien monsters become considerably less scary when you spend a paragraph describing their preferences for the style and placement of their fucking living room furniture.

Also, a geologist spends like five minutes looking at ancient hieroglyphs and can instantly decipher an alien species' entire history that spans the age of the Earth? Yeah no. I don't think so buddy.

You picked the wrong Lovecraft piece for a beginner. A better first impression would be "The Dunwich Horror" or "The Colour Out of Space".

kswiston

EDIT: wrong thread!

But on topic, I started Captain Vorpatril's Alliance a couple of days ago. Sort of topical given the discussion above.

lightus

Haven't been in this thread in a while. I've forgotten the series I was on when I updated last.

Currently I'm working on The Book of the Long Sun (specifically Exodus of the Long Sun) by Gene Wolf.

I've been loving (more or less) every page of it so far. It doesn't quite seem to be the masterpiece that Book of the New Sun was, but it's still great. I get to read during my lunch break, and those 30 minutes or so are probably my favorite of the day.

kswiston

Can you read Vorkosigan in any order? I tried to read Shards of Honor but I found it pretty meh and I get the impression that it's one of the weaker books.

I wouldn't say any order, but the series was written out of Chronological order until the late novels.

Did you get all the way through Shards of Honor?

kswiston

Like halfway. She had gotten on the ship with the soldiers. I guess I could just finish the rest of it since it's not very long

I think that the back half of Shards of Honor is more interesting than the front half for what it's worth. It depends on what you are looking for in your sci fi though. Boujold does a good job at portraying mental illness of various types in a fairly natural manner. Miles is a Manic Depressive (on top of his physical ailments). His father (in Shards of Honor) is also prone to depression/self medication via alcohol. Other characters have their own issues. It's sort of a running theme that these characters achieve greatness despite the disabilities they suffer.

You'll be reading a pulpy, fairly light-hearted story, and then be hit by something that feels very real. I would still try The Warrior's Apprentice if you aren't super happy with Shards of Honor. Cordelia's son is the main protag of the series, but she's the lead in those first two books (not counting Falling Free). You can go back and read Barrayar later if you want. It was actually written 6th or 7th if I remember correctly.

Dec

Why did you think it was very very poor?

It wasn't badly written or anything. I was just on a science fiction kick and it really was much more of a romance story of which I really have no interest in. I did find it pretty hard to believe their relationship though, so I don't think it was even a good romance.

I don't read books for any reasons other than be entertained, and in that I would say it was poor. Not meant to be a declaration of quality.

Mumei

It wasn't badly written or anything. I was just on a science fiction kick and it really was much more of a romance story of which I really have no interest in. I did find it pretty hard to believe their relationship though, so I don't think it was even a good romance.

I don't read books for any reasons other than be entertained, and in that I would say it was poor. Not meant to be a declaration of quality.

Well, those aren't discrete categories. It is about how Cordelia and Aral met and became a couple (hence the romance story) and it is a science fiction novel (hence all the science fiction). The presence of futuristic technologies from terraforming to wormhole travel to uterine replicator to artificial gravity to force shields to synthetic skin to bioengineered animals (and more!) are what the plots often revolve around.

But I suspect when you say "science fiction" you mean something where the science is much more foregrounded, maybe even presented didactically. Maybe something like what I've been reading recently, KSR's Mars Trilogy, where there will be page after page of writing that's entirely about the science and the characters mostly recede into the background.

Dec

Well, those aren't discrete categories. It is about how Cordelia and Aral met and became a couple (hence the romance story) and it is a science fiction novel (hence all the science fiction). The presence of futuristic technologies from terraforming to wormhole travel to uterine replicator to artificial gravity to force shields to synthetic skin to bioengineered animals (and more!) are what the plots often revolve around.

But I suspect when you say "science fiction" you mean something where the science is much more foregrounded, maybe even presented didactically. Maybe something like what I've been reading recently, KSR's Mars Trilogy, where there will be page after page of writing that's entirely about the science and the characters mostly recede into the background.

I do have the Mars Trilogy on my long list of things to read. Overall it is my own fault for expecting something from Shards of Honour that it wasn't. I didn't research it at all, I had just finished Leviathan Wakes and wanted some more space stuff and it was recommended a lot.

I don't really read science fiction.

Though I think books become something different when they focus so heavily on romance. Even though I love fantasy, Mistborn falls flat for me. Sure it's fantasy, but there's a big distinction to make.

Like I said though, if the non-romance parts of Varkosigan have a lot to do with space governments and what's his names position in it, I am already uninterested.

Mumei

Though I think books become something different when they focus so heavily on romance. Even though I love fantasy, Mistborn falls flat for me. Sure it's fantasy, but there's a big distinction to make.

Wait, why don't you like Mistborn? Because there's too much romance, or am I misunderstanding you? I feel like I'm missing something. Also, what kind of fantasy books do you like?

Like I said though, if the non-romance parts of Varkosigan have a lot to do with space governments and what's his names position in it, I am already uninterested.

That's vaguely like saying you think Romeo and Juliet is too much about sex jokes. Sure, they're quite a few, but that's not what it's about. Similarly, Miles has official titles and ranks, and interacts with foreign governments, but the series isn't about that; it's a bildungsroman and a family saga.

Veelk

Banned
Hm...Okay, I'm sold on Vorkosigan.

The question is where do I start? Someone mentioned that the first 2 or 3 novels are skippable?

Mumei

Hm...Okay, I'm sold on Vorkosigan.

The question is where do I start? Someone mentioned that the first 2 or 3 novels are skippable?

Scroll up a bit, and you'll see my post with the list.

The first two novels feature two characters, Cordelia Naismith and Aral Vorkosigan, who are the parents of the character, Miles, which (iirc) ten of the novels and three of the novellas feature as the primary protagonist. Of course, when they first came out they worked as works about its characters in their own right, but with the benefit of knowing what comes next, they now necessarily can be read as prequels to Miles' story.

I would not suggest skipping them. You could probably get by, but they would be worth reading even if they weren't preludes. And frankly Shards of Honor and particularly Barrayar are actually both better than the first few novels featuring Miles.

DemWalls

Half the World was my favorite, but I wasn't disappointed by the finale.

I know HtW generally is the most appreciated, Goodreads also shows that. But I found HaW stronger in, well... everything.

I'm just a bit disappointed that Thorn was little more than a background character. I expected her to be as central in this one as Yarvi was in HtW, after being the main character of the previous book.

Dec

Wait, why don't you like Mistborn? Because there's too much romance, or am I misunderstanding you? I feel like I'm missing something. Also, what kind of fantasy books do you like?

That's vaguely like saying you think Romeo and Juliet is too much about sex jokes. Sure, they're quite a few, but that's not what it's about. Similarly, Miles has official titles and ranks, and interacts with foreign governments, but the series isn't about that; it's a bildungsroman and a family saga.

Mistborn book 2 and 3 are packed full of Vin's and the other guys relationship and it's awful. Not believable at all but a huge emphasis is placed on it. It's also just very boring. The first book was pretty good though.

On Shards of Honour, I'm just going to say I didn't like the book and I don't think I'd like the rest of the series. If it's full of romance but not romance and full of characters defined by their place in the government but not about politics, there is still too much of that stuff for me to continue reading it. The world is full of books, I'm fully content to just move onto something else.

Mumei

Mistborn book 2 and 3 are packed full of Vin's and the other guys relationship and it's awful. Not believable at all but a huge emphasis is placed on it. It's also just very boring. The first book was pretty good though.

Well, what kind of books do you like? You said you don't really read science fiction (though you also said you were on a science fiction kick so maybe that's changing). You said that you like fantasy, but that something like Mistborn's second and third books has too much romance for your taste. It's admittedly been a few years since I've read Mistborn, but based off of what I remember, the amount of romance there precludes you from enjoying a lot of fiction, including fantasy, which often features boy–girl relationship stuff.

So given all that: What do you like?

On Shards of Honour, I'm just going to say I didn't like the book and I don't think I'd like the rest of the series. If it's full of romance but not romance and full of characters defined by their place in the government but not about politics, there is still too much of that stuff for me to continue reading it. The world is full of books, I'm fully content to just move onto something else.

I'm not trying to encourage you to read more! I just think that your impression of the book is ... strange. It's like you read a different book.

I also don't know what you mean by "full of romance but not romance" or "full of characters defined by their place in the government but not about politics."

brawly

Read the first two chapters of

220px-Sword_of_Destiny_UK.jpg

Just like the first book, it's such a chapter-by-chapter book. Some chapters I love, others I just want to move on. First chapter (with the dragon) is amazing. My favorite so far. Second one with Yen? Meh. I just really don't like Yen. Triss is bae (judging by the games + she's a redhead).

Heh, I tore through Mistborn 1, but it's been a struggle to stay focused on the second one. The first had a tight focus and end goal that give great pacing and helped highlight the characters through their struggle against that clearly defined threat

kevin1025

Banned
As I continue with IT, I thought I'd hop into another book since it'll be a while before I finish IT.

City of Stairs, by Robert Jackson Bennett. This was not at all what I was expecting, and I say that in the best possible way! I've seen the praise here and it made me excited to read, and so far I am very happy with it! I think I'll be breezing through this one for sure.

Mumei

uguuuuuuuuuuu~

Any manga I should be checking out?

Heh, I tore through Mistborn 1, but it's been a struggle to stay focused on the second one. The first had a tight focus and end goal that give great pacing and helped highlight the characters through their struggle against that clearly defined threat

Yeah, you do lose a lot of that tension when you don't
have a seemingly insurmountable obstacle.

I hope you enjoy it! It's probably my least favorite of the epic poems I've read, but that's more about me than about the work. And it's still excellent even by my lights.

Dec

Well, what kind of books do you like? You said you don't really read science fiction (though you also said you were on a science fiction kick so maybe that's changing). You said that you like fantasy, but that something like Mistborn's second and third books has too much romance for your taste. It's admittedly been a few years since I've read Mistborn, but based off of what I remember, the amount of romance there precludes you from enjoying a lot of fiction, including fantasy, which often features boy–girl relationship stuff.

So given all that: What do you like?

I'm not trying to encourage you to read more! I just think that your impression of the book is ... strange. It's like you read a different book.

I also don't know what you mean by "full of romance but not romance" or "full of characters defined by their place in the government but not about politics."

I'm not against romantic relationships period, I just don't want them to be the main motivator for the characters. Mistborn 2 spoilers?:
Vin in book 2 and 3 I would say is that. In fact in the second book her entire job is as a Mistborn bodyguard for her romantic interest and that is the only thing she cares about doing throughout.

As for what I read, basically anything that seems interesting to me. Fantasy-wise I like most things, recently I have read and enjoyed Small Gods, The Drawing of the Three, The Waking Fire, Age of Myth. My to-read list is full of fantasy I am very confident I'll enjoy.

Though I don't like just slamming fantasy over and over so to mix it up I do try new genres, I also have a very large interest in murder mysteries of all kinds (this interest initially introduced me to Michael J. Sullivan who I think is great).

Maybe Varkosigan isn't what I fear it is, but regardless as someone that doesn't read nearly enough, choosing what to read is an important thing. Series especially are a big month or two long investment. I love being excited to start a new book, and I don't think I would be excited to continue with that series.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Only about 30 pages in so can't say much yet.

I don't know much about this novel. Is it actually regarded as a deep, meditative philosophical work or is it a poor man's philosophical book?

Finished The Motel Life by Willy Vlautin. Enjoyable quick read - I'd almost want a bit more length to it though.

Now I'm between books which is always a fun feeling.

Books about weird or quietly creepy small towns... Recommendations?

Lucumo

Been a while since I've last posted. Finished this in the meantime:

413igIz8MPL._SY346_.jpg

and this

The+Name+of+the+Rose.jpg

and that

(not a fan of those in-between information about stuff losely connected with the story)

Currently reading:

51H%2BglOMMpL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

fakefaker

Finished off The Darkhouse by Barbara Radecki last night. It was a satisfying YA novel about a sixteen year old girl happily living on an island until a stranger shows up and changes everything.

Next up: Dragon Springs Road by Janie Chang.

29938354.jpg

Magus1234

I picked up some random Fantasy book at my local joint, I'm giving it a shot but I don't know. Maybe I'm not cut out for the fantasy novels. It's The Name of The Wind, if anyone has read it. Only a few chapters in so I can't really form a solid opinion on it, I'll see by the end of next week if I want to continue.

The only epic I've read is The Odyssey. Does The Divine Comedy have that kind of structure/prose, or that uniquely Homer's style?

No it is not, its more modern and would look more like poems you are used to seeing today(a couple lines, rhyming...etc) split into Canto's. Homers style is really more like a modern novel, at least when we read it translated. Where as The Divine Comedy reads more poetic or song like. If you prefer Homer, try reading Aeneid by Virgil which takes place after the Odyssey.

Sean C

Been a while since I've last posted. Finished this in the meantime:
The Count of Monte Cristo and Les Miserables are both really long in that 19th century novel way, but Dumas' writing style feels a lot more modern to me, in terms of readability, even when he's packing in incidental characters. It's been a while since I read that book, but I don't remember there being whole segments that I just skimmed through to get back to the main narrative action. That said, the core story in Les Miserables is undeniably great.

If you enjoyed The Name of the Rose, I could not recommend more highly Orhan Pamuk's My Name Is Red, which has a number of similarities, but is overall much better, in my view.

It's been a while since I read Goethe's Faust, but that's quite a fascinating, imaginative work.

Next book: Dante Alighieri The Divine Comedy
I've had an edition of that for years, but only covered the Inferno portion (I expect the same is true of many people). I'll have to remedy that at some point.

Perez%20WW%20Omnibus%20v.2_zpsc4hl1kik.jpg

For a long time, the only collected editions of the George Perez run on Wonder Woman were four trade paperbacks that covered the first 24 issues; a few years ago, the contents of those four trade paperbacks were bound into a single hardcover Omnibus edition. However, that Omnibus was unnumbered, which did not augur any future omnibuses, and the smart money would have been that the remaining 40+ issues of the Perez run would remain uncollected and inaccessible. However, probably by the grace of the 2017 Wonder Woman film, here is Volume 2, covering issues 25-45 (as well as the second Annual).

There were a few points in reading this where I found myself wishing that I had refreshed my memory in respect of the earlier issues, because Perez really hits the ground running and there are very few wholly new stories here, the bulk of the time spent elaborating on earlier arcs (in particular, the final arc brings back the Silver Swan and a few characters who had by that point not been seen in more than twenty issues). The most compelling material in this collection is undoubtedly the first half, which is heavily concerned with Perez's expanding the Amazon mythology by journeying to Bana-Mighdal, the sister city of Themyscira, where a corrupted form of the Amazon culture survived through the centuries, but evolving in a very different direction. This also features greater development for Diana's nemesis the Cheetah, a villain that only Perez every really used well, at least in this initial form. There's a lot less emphasis in these issues on the Kapatelis family, who formed Diana's main human supporting cast in her early introduction to the wider world. Apollo, the Greek god descended to Earth, takes a prominent supporting part (and frequently a humorous one), the other gods being almost entirely absent.

If this volume has an obvious point of inferiority compared to the earlier issues, it is that this is the point in the series where Perez had stopped illustrating as well as writing. The various replacement artists are more than capable, but George Perez is one of the all-time great pencillers, and none of the succeeding ones can quite live up to his beautiful work in the early part of the series.

Top Bottom