• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2017)

Currently cycling between these two

51IXBiewaeL._SY346_.jpg
51cc32zsaIL._SY346_.jpg

I've been reading IT for awhile, taking my time with it. After I finish IT, I will be reading Mistborn. I only read The Stormlight Archive books, and Warbreaker. Really enjoy his stuff. How's Mistborn?

arkon

2 big releases this month. I wish Goodreads would notify me when a book on my to-read list is coming out.

Out today!
31522139.jpg

May 4th
30688013.jpg

My favorite by Sanderson. Stormlight is fantastic, but still so much more to go with it.

It's not quite the same but I recieve emails from them about new releases in a particular month from authors I've already read books by.

Edit: I've just checked my settings and there is an option for emailing you notification when a book on your to-read shelf becomes available. I guess I didn't notice it because I only tend to add books to my to-read shelf that are already released.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
What would be the best standalone Sanderson novel for someone who isn't familiar with his work?

I actually read Infinity Blade: Awakening (yeah), it was alright but I wasn't impressed. I know it isn't fair to judge him by something like that, so I'd like to read something more robust by him, but not necessarily the start of a saga.

Dec

What would be the best standalone Sanderson novel for someone who isn't familiar with his work?

I actually read Infinity Blade: Awakening (yeah), it was alright but I wasn't impressed. I know it isn't fair to judge him by something like that, so I'd like to read something more robust by him, but not necessarily the start of a saga.

The first mistborn is pretty good and very standalone. It isn't standalone, but it's worth reading even if you don't read the rest of it.

I liked Elantris a lot as well.

On the subject of the rest of Mistborn, I think 2 is pretty bad and 3 is even more boring (or was until I gave up on it like 1/3rd of the way through).

Bought this one on sale and chugged it, amazing read.
Very Hunger Games like but more adult in its themes and tone. I even finished the second book already and I'll say it handles the growth of the characters much better than HG did and really delivered. I'm in the middle of the third and final in the series and it's been great so far.

Nymerio

Finished Golden Son today.

18966819.jpg

Pretty damn amazing. Only thing I did not really like:
Roques betrayal was telegraphed almost since the start of the book so it did not come as a surprise. I don't understand how he kept ignoring the situation even when people constantly kept telling him he should do something about it. Though I was surprised by how cold blooded he did it, but I guess it actually really fits with the roman theme the books got going when Darrow calls him brother a last time before blacking out. Et tu brute?

Gonna start Morning Star real soon, I guess.

18966806.jpg

aravuus

Lots of people reading the Red Rising trilogy all of a sudden. I've got the first book, tried reading it last year iirc, but dropped it after a hundred pages. It wasn't bad, just felt kind of.. Uninspired.

Clearly I should give it a second try, however. Maybe after I finish the third Harry Potter and The North Water.

Finished Childhood's End yesterday. First work of Clarke's that I've read, and I really enjoyed it - looking forward to trying more of his books sometime. Going to read through The Left Hand of Darkness next, however. I read The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas late last month and loved it, so I'm excited to read one of Le Guin's novels.

Pau

I thought The Emperorer's Soul was great. It's short length works in Sanderson's favor.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The first mistborn is pretty good and very standalone. It isn't standalone, but it's worth reading even if you don't read the rest of it.

On the subject of the rest of Mistborn, I think 2 is pretty bad and 3 is even more boring (or was until I gave up on it like 1/3rd of the way through).
I thought The Emperorer's Soul was great. It's short length works in Sanderson's favor.
I'll check these out, thanks. :)

Sillverrr

I'm amazed the Red Rising Trilogy gets so much love. To be fair, the first book isn't bad - it's a passable Hunger Games clone. Thereafter, the plot twists become increasingly ludicrous, you can't tell several of the ''edgy'' characters apart in terms of characterisation, and the protagonist himself is a thoroughly unlikeable thug who basically comes to embody the very class of society he rises up against.

I have decided to give up on the John Gwynne series I was reading after the first book. I slogged through it, but it was about as deep as a shallow pond.

I'm slowly making my way through The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng, and it's a delightful, easy to read pleasure. I remain a typical fan of science fiction and fantasy at heart, but there's so much crap in the genre. Historical fiction disappoints far less in the main.

Dec

I'm amazed the Red Rising Trilogy gets so much love. To be fair, the first book isn't bad - it's a passable Hunger Games clone. Thereafter, the plot twists become increasingly ludicrous, you can't tell several of the ''edgy'' characters apart in terms of characterisation, and the protagonist himself is a thoroughly unlikeable thug who basically comes to embody the very class of society he rises up against.

I have decided to give up on the John Gwynne series I was reading after the first book. I slogged through it, but it was about as deep as a shallow pond.

I'm slowly making my way through The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng, and it's a delightful, easy to read pleasure. I remain a typical fan of science fiction and fantasy at heart, but there's so much crap in the genre. Historical fiction disappoints far less in the main.

I'm also pretty surprised how positive the latest posts have been on Red Rising.

The first book was super easy to read; I got through it really fast, but the first half is really uninspired. I've probably posted this somewhere, but it reads like a book written by a company trying to bank on the young adult fiction train without being lumped in with them by sprinkling in some more adult themes like rape. If it weren't for a few of the characters introduced later that redeem it, I would be super down on it.

What you say about the sequels makes me want to take them off my To Read list, though.

JonnyKong

I'm enjoying what I've read of Sleeping Giants so far, but it seems awfully short? Only read it for about half an hour and I'm already 20% of the way through.

Mumei

I started a novel a few days ago that I have been meaning to read for a few years now:

166997.jpg

It lives up to the hype.

I really, really wish that the description on the back cover didn't give away essentially the entire arc of the story, though. I read about half of the book before I even looked at the back cover, and once I did I found myself wishing that I hadn't. I avoid reading Introductions before reading a new book precisely so I can experience it in a relatively unmediated way first; I shouldn't have to worry about the back cover.

I'm nearly done with it, in any case. I also just finished—a few minutes ago—Alexander Weinstein's Children of the New World. It was good, but my experience of it probably suffered a bit from reading it concurrently with Stoner. I also felt like the collection as a whole had a kind of writer's workshop / creative writing program sensibility to it that, at least for me, prevented me from being wholly invested in it outside of a few standouts.

You can add stuff to goodreads!

I did not know I could do this. I thought it was something where you had to have a certain account status or whatever. Where is this done?

Nice, this will bump Paladin up quite a bit, you haven't lead me astray yet Mumei. Although a couple friends are hesitant to listen to my recommendations after how much of a heart breaker A Little Life was...

<3

Maybe you should tell them to read Stoner next. :3

Out today!
May 4th
30688013.jpg

Fool! <3

Vee_One

Generation Decks: The Unofficial History of Magic: The Gathering.
American Gods (Neil Gaiman) - to re-familiarize before watching the show.
Expanse Book 5: Nemesis Games (James S. A. Corey)

Mumei

*epic fist bump*

Such a great, beautiful book.

And I've just finished. There's so much to appreciate about it. One of the little touches that I loved the most was
how Katherine's name was always presented in full as "Katherine Driscoll" until the moment when their affair began, and on the next page, at the start of the next chapter, for the first time she was just "Katherine." I melted.

Finished The Narrows. The Bosch series started slumping a few books ago but this brought it back with a vengeance and renewed my interest in the series. I'm now heading back to The Unhewn Throne trilogy with book 2 - The Providence of Fire.

The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley

And I've just finished. There's so much to appreciate about it. One of the little touches that I loved the most was
how Katherine's name was always presented in full as "Katherine Driscoll" until the moment when their affair began, and on the next page, at the start of the next chapter, for the first time she was just "Katherine." I melted.
Oh wow that's a great touch. I hadn't noticed that.

BumRush

Just finished call of cthulhu. No idea why I waited until I was 33 but it was awesome. Please recommend me more with the same tone!

Also, why no lovecraftian big budget modern films?

This is exactly how I felt as well. Forced myself to finish the third book.

kswiston

The Emperor's Soul is the best standalone Sanderson book. Elantris is a bit rough (and long). Much of the rest of his work is bound up in various series. You could also try the Legion novelas. They are straight forward, easy reads.

I didn't realize that City of Miracles was out today. I know what I am picking up next.

Just finished call of cthulhu. No idea why I waited until I was 33 but it was awesome. Please recommend me more with the same tone!

Also, why no lovecraftian big budget modern films?
Have you read At the Mountains of Madness yet? Far and away my favorite Lovecraft story.

City of Miracles

31522139.jpg

Was kind of surprised this came out already, Good Reads sent me an email about it. Picked it up since I enjoyed the previous two parts.

ngower

California by Edan Lupecki and Dune by Frank Herbert are on my to-read list whenever I finish up the semester. Also looking at finally reading the Thousand Autums of Jacob de Zoet. Really, I just want a literary epic.

California by Edan Lupecki and Dune by Frank Herbert are on my to-read list whenever I finish up the semester. Also looking at finally reading the Thousand Autums of Jacob de Zoet. Really, I just want a literary epic.

Dune is exactly what a literary epic is. Thought it was merely decent the first time around, reread it a couple months ago and now it's one of my favorite novels ever.

Danielsan

Dune is high on my to read list, but I've read that it's a difficult read, which is extra intimidating given that English is not my native language. That said, I will definitely give it a go this year.

causan

33129035.jpg

Currently reading Mark Lawrence's Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #1). Enjoying it so far, it's a cross between Harry Potter and ninja nuns. World building has been great so far as his writing style. It's definitely on my recommended list.

aravuus

Finished The Prisoner of Azkaban (reread). Goddamn, you can just blaze through these books in an evening or two. Lot of fun though, and the fourth book is the one where I start forgetting stuff - I barely remember anything about books 5, 6 or 7 - so hell, I think I might start it up tomorrow even though I was gonna finish the ones I'm reading now first.

A welcome change of pace compared to the exceedingly positive books I've been reading recently, like The North Water and Deadhouse Gates.

Unducks

Neo Member
Reading:
memory.jpg

I just finished Mirror Dance after stepping away from the Vorkosigan books for a couple years, and was shocked to remember how great Bujold is at making the characters feel real, and making the psychological consequences of both the story's action and its sci fi elements have some actual weight. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Memory develops since I know it has a reputation as being one of the best (if not the best) books in the series.

Listening to:
61mHkS0oBxL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Pratchett is always enjoyable. I rarely love his books, but I always enjoy them all the way through.

Next up, and completely different:
23156040.jpg

This series has awful covers. I've finally given into all of the praise for the series and started going through it. They're good books and it's hard to put them down, but I feel like they get a lot of praise for being literary when they are, at their core, an ongoing soap opera with an intellectual and psychologically aware wrapper. I'm looking forward to the third part but I feel like the press around this series has deliberately ignored that the main pull of it is a constant "she did/said whaaaat? I need to know more about that."

fakefaker

Finished off Men Walking on Water by Emily Schultz which dramatizes the prohibition era in the late 20's around Detroit. It was really well done with interesting characters and story line. Next up, a dark and scary Canadian mystery in Dead Air by David A. Poulsen.

9781459736689.jpg

Mumei

Reading:
memory.jpg

I just finished Mirror Dance after stepping away from the Vorkosigan books for a couple years, and was shocked to remember how great Bujold is at making the characters feel real, and making the psychological consequences of both the story's action and its sci fi elements have some actual weight. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Memory develops since I know it has a reputation as being one of the best (if not the best) books in the series.

It's quite the conclusion to Miles' bildungsroman! <3

Currently 15% into this after loving Evan's first book of the trilogy "The Coming of the Third Reich":

QSPdyz3.jpg

One thing it already taught me is how intellectually lazy Nazi comparisons usually are. The Third Reich is likely the authoritarian state most people are reasonably well educated about or at least familiar with, but frankly also the one least appropriate to be compared with, whether it's Trump or Erdogan. The ruthlessness and brutality of the Nazis is chilling.

23156040.jpg

This series has awful covers. I've finally given into all of the praise for the series and started going through it. They're good books and it's hard to put them down, but I feel like they get a lot of praise for being literary when they are, at their core, an ongoing soap opera with an intellectual and psychologically aware wrapper. I'm looking forward to the third part but I feel like the press around this series has deliberately ignored that the main pull of it is a constant "she did/said whaaaat? I need to know more about that."

I agree - to a point. I think what Farrante does is very subtle - she's making look easy that which totally isn't. I have to say, I found the 'adult' portion of the series (3&4) to be even better than 1&2. Enjoy.

just finished reading "I, Robot" by Isaac Asimov. really a cool book. i appreciate how the Laws of Robotics were setup at the start and they are continuously revisiting them to see in what ways the robots will react. i really enjoyed how some things were explained and some things remain a mystery.

next on my list if "The History of the Medieval World: From the Conversion of Constantine to the First Crusade" by Susan Wise Bauer. psyched for this one

Currently 15% into this after loving Evan's first book of the trilogy "The Coming of the Third Reich":

One thing it already taught me is how intellectually lazy Nazi comparisons usually are. The Third Reich is likely the authoritarian state most people are reasonably well educated about or at least familiar with, but frankly also the one least appropriate to be compared with, whether it's Trump or Erdogan. The ruthlessness and brutality of the Nazis is chilling.

I've begun listening to the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich during my commute. While the importance of historical knowledge cannot be understated, it's tough to get through. So I break it up with Meditations (Marcus Aurelius).

Just finished:
51--cycnCVL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Really enjoyed it throughout and was especially drawn in on the second half.
A little scary at times how accurately it depicts a future new America.

Just started:
51ZGtzRN29L._SX273_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Only a few chapters in, but really enjoying the tone and characters so far.

Peru

23156040.jpg

The design of the covers is deliberate:

From the time of our first conversation with Elena Ferrante about her intention to write this novel, we knew the book's title and that it would be the story of a long friendship between women&#8212;and that it would conclude with a scene of a very vulgar Neapolitan wedding. The wedding and Elena's impression of it ... is an extremely important moment in the book. That's why I intentionally searched for a photo that was ”kitsch." This design choice continued in the subsequent books, because vulgarity is an important aspect of the books, of all that Elena wants to distance herself from.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...r_design_an_interview_with_the_publisher.html

As for calling the books soap opera, call them what you want but the beauty of the writing is in the blunted rage that builds and builds, the intensity of inner conflict. I felt that physically, and that's a result of the writing, the literary strengths, not the fact that there's a gallery of characters or a structure you could superficially compare to other works.

Palmer_v1

Warbreaker.

Unducks

Neo Member
The design of the covers is deliberate:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...r_design_an_interview_with_the_publisher.html

As for calling the books soap opera, call them what you want but the beauty of the writing is in the blunted rage that builds and builds, the intensity of inner conflict. I felt that physically, and that's a result of the writing, the literary strengths, not the fact that there's a gallery of characters or a structure you could superficially compare to other works.

Very interesting and unexpected about the covers. And I don't mean to put the books down, I'm loving them. I wonder if the soap opera feeling might be restricted to the second book, as I didn't have the same feeling about the first. I felt the inner conflict of the main character when she was focusing on herself, but there seemed to often be a disconnection between her and Lila (on purpose) that resulted in a feeling of her part of the story being a bit more voteuristic.
Maybe that feeling that I noticed was purposeful - because Elena has less of a connection to Lila, the perception of Lila becomes a bit more aligned to the sort of perspective that comes from the neighborhood rather than their friendship. Elena has her own life that's richly described but Lila's life is often hearsay, which maybe lends to the soap opera feeling.

Top Bottom