• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2010)

Just finished......

one-day.jpg

Really really enjoyed it. One of the best reads i have partaken in through the year. Truly
heartbreaking in the end with how he deals with the events and the event itself

about to start.....

51qtt-UAJHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

coldvein

Banned
Lo-Volt said:
afd24310fca0c8b03bc99010.L.jpg

What an ugly-ass front cover, but still.

i own a couple editions of that, both pretty ugly. they should put a new one out or something. still don't have a hardback. ah well. at least it isn't like the covers of those jim butcher (?) books. now that stuff is garbage.

anyway!. i am currently finishing The Junior Officers' Reading Club: Killing Time and Fighting Wars, by Patrick Hennessey. Really great. Doesn't have much to do with READING as the title implies (certainly a good if misleading title choice though, as it got me to pick up the book..). Great modern military stuff though. Covers the experience of a brit soldier in training and then serving tours in iraq and afghanistan. Entertaining and disturbing, a good quick read.

Looking for suggestions on some good wintertime reading..let me be more specific. Where I live is currently looking like hoth, crazy winds, snow, freezing. this makes me want to read some cold-weather books. not like "i want to cozy up in my house with hot chocolate and read something uplifting", but like i want to read some crazy winter survivalist harsh weather stuff. so far i've got the terror by dan simmons (which i have read and loved) and into the wild by that one guy. cannibalism is a plus. fiction or non fiction. anybody got anything i should check out? should be going to the bookstore here soon. thanks.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished Dresden Files - Turn Coat - Not my favorite in the series by any stretch, but incredibly entertaining as dresden files usually is. And the ending was pretty
sad ;_; @ morgan

Now Reading Dresden Files - Changes - 100 pages in. I'm interested in finding out what the title refers to, since someone told me that it really lives up to the title at the end.:lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i'd never read enders game before. now 70% in. NEAT

Dresden

I haven't been reading much at all. Still stuck in Abani's Graceland, not really feeling it. Might move on to Who Fears Death or finally do that Watership Down re-read I've always been meaning to do.

Finished most of the short stories in here (skipped Jaqueline Carey's short story because I hate her writing style)

Some of the stories were hit or miss. I actually enjoyed Gaiman's short story in here even though I'm not (I know, I know) a big fan of his writing. My favorite is probably Robin Hobb's Blue Boots.

Reading this for the office book club. Very short book (novella?) about shapes living in a 2D world. Weird but enjoyable. Some of the things in this book, I don't understand at all. Like how these shapes can see color if everyone just looks like a 2D line to them.

Got started on this last night. It's George RR Martin's try at vampire fiction. So far, so good. It reminds me a little of if Mark Twain did vampire stories because of the steamboat and river talk.

Barbarian

Just finished The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie and started book 2 of the series, Before They Are Hanged.

Series is surprisingly good -- I don't know why it took me so long to start it, considering all of the positive hype on GAF.

coldvein

Banned
about 50 pages in to 2010's 'best american travel writing'. kind of an inbetween book i guess.. AND i joined the neogaf group on goodreads. hmmm.

Helmholtz

migulic said:
Reading it for school, just started a few days ago. I haven't read it before or seen the movie.
Great book. Very sad though :(

So GAF, is 'The Long Ships' really that good? I'm thinking of getting it.

coldvein

Banned
Helmholtz said:
Great book. Very sad though :(

So GAF, is 'The Long Ships' really that good? I'm thinking of getting it.

i thought it was pretty great. but i'm kinda nerdy about history stuff.. i got it based on gaf hype, but i can see some people really not getting into it. not very helpful, i'm sorry. :lol

Helmholtz

coldvein said:
i thought it was pretty great. but i'm kinda nerdy about history stuff.. i got it based on gaf hype, but i can see some people really not getting into it. not very helpful, i'm sorry. :lol
Haha no I appreciate any impressions. I'm definitely going to check it out.

migulic said:
Reading it for school, just started a few days ago. I haven't read it before or seen the movie.
Haven't read that yet (been meaning to) but I've read A Thousand Splendid Suns and it was terrific.

Vard

Helmholtz said:
Haha no I appreciate any impressions. I'm definitely going to check it out.
I approve of The Long Ships too. You don't have to be interested in the setting & history to appreciate the story & characters, but if you are then there's no doubt you should get it. (I haven't finished it yet, but I'm really looking forward to getting back to it once I finish a book that I'm borrowing.)

canocha

Maklershed said:
Haven't read that yet (been meaning to) but I've read A Thousand Splendid Suns and it was terrific.

Damn right!

I'm almost at the end of The Road... the kid is annoying as shit, but i'm liking it so far!

Dresden

Maklershed said:
Speaking of which, any recommendations for epic historical adventures a la The Odyssey, The Long Ships, or Aztec?
I, Claudius by Graves, Gates of Fire or Tides of War by Pressfield, or maybe River God by Wilbur Smith. Off the top of mah head, anyways. First one deals with Claudius the Emperor in Rome, second deals with Thermopylae without the 300-style erosparto bullshit, the third deals with Alcibiades of Athens, and the last is about a sexy Egyptian enunch dealing with civil war and shit. River God is the most adventure-y of the four, it even has an epic journey in it. The first one has the least amount of action. The second one has the most killing and suffering. The third one has the most sex and I wanted to cry as I read it.

Salazar

Finishing Moby Dick. Beaven's edition has a goddamn housebrick of notes on the end, so the actual book ends a good inch and a half before the book as a physical object does. Good, though, damned good. I'd had a peculiar apprehension that it was a solemn book, or at least an un-humorous one, but it is really, really fucking wry.

About halfway through The World as I Found It by Bruce Duffy - a novelistic biography of Bertrand Russell, Ludwig Wittgenstein, and G.E. Moore. Incredible. Much recommended for anybody remotely interested in philosophy, the strains of intellectual life and contention. I come to it having read Ray Monk's biographies of Russell and Wittgenstein, and I find it amazing that Duffy wrote this book before Monk wrote those - so rich is his understanding and telling of the stories.

Mr. Miyato

Neo Member
migulic said:
51aC4tiXgiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Great book, finished it in one night. Right now I have a few magazines I have to go through, but then I'm going to continue reading:

khaled_hosseini_a_thousand_splendid_suns1.jpg

Shanadeus

Banned
Imagine a country where people are oppressed and having their lives sacrificed for a higher ideal and purpose. Where there is constant warfare and struggle for resources. Where women are raped, their children murdered and the fathers forced into slavery.

Now imagine these people are robots and you have the book Twisted Metal by Tony Ballantyne

n288571.jpg

The first two chapter are available for free on his website and I've pasted it in the first one below:

Twenty-two Years Ago . . .

The Stark robots were better engineered, faster, stronger, sleeker – but they were being overwhelmed by the sheer number of the enemy. The grey Artemisian infantry marched out of the darkness of the plain, following the segmented pipes that snaked from the wells to the oil refinery. The Stark robots fell back before them in good order. They dropped flat magnetic mines and kicked sand over them. The hidden traps stuck to the iron feet of the advancing troops, discharging a shock that contracted the electromuscles of the body, pulling it into a tight, agonizing ball before shorting the life from the victim in one convulsive burst.

Everything about the Stark robots suggested better materials and better minds. Each shot from their high-velocity rifles shattered an Artemisian head, blowing a mind apart in an explosion of blue wire. But still the grey forces came on, marching ever forward in a seemingly unending stream, underpowered rifles pumping forth ineffectual lead slugs that spread across the steel plate of the defenders, slowing them down, reducing each movement to a painful struggle.

Inevitably, the grey robots fell upon the defenders. They pulled out knives and awls and began to beat at the Stark bodies, denting them, worrying at them, seeking a point of entry. The defenders struggled on under the unceasing attack, but eventually their armour was punctured. Awls and blades worked at the bodies, peeling back the plating, piercing through to the electromuscle beneath. The Stark robots died in an agony of cuts and feedback, while all around them the Artemisian forces marched on, eyes fixed on the refinery and its precious oil.

Other creatures joined the battlefield. The soldiers’ feet slipped and skidded on the metal shells of beetles that dug their way up from their burrows to steal the shards and swarf that dropped from the bodies of the downed. A chatter of metal, the sound of a toothed blade tearing itself apart on a tungsten block, and a line of holes appeared in the grey metal bodies of the Artemisian infantry, running up and down the ranks. A Stark machine gun was firing upon them from a mile off. Falling bodies followed the line of holes, and the scavenger beetles swarmed over the newly dead. Still the Artemisian advance pressed on.

A hiss, and the air filled with a thin mist of water; it drifted through the grey ranks, a minor annoyance. Circuits felt mushy and sparky in the moist conditions. Unnoticed at their feet, the soil churned as the beetles burrowed their way back beneath the ground. The Artemis robots stumbled on, feet tripping on the potholed earth, metal bodies misting with water, droplets running down their arms and fingers, electromuscle singing with power, the sight of the refinery, empty and undefended, spurring them on.

And then they felt it, the sense of building power ahead; an enormous potential forming, it resonated in their bodies, set their electromuscle singing. The advance faltered, the robots behind still pushing into those in front. The leaders paused to gaze at the line of metal spikes thrust in the ground before them, each spike humming with ominous intent.

Something was coming. The grey bodies at the front held for a moment in desperate equilibrium, ready to retreat, knowing it was too late . . . The power discharged. A near-solid bar of electricity hit the metal shell of a leading Artemisian soldier. Her mind exploded; the power within it was added to the lightning bolt that now spread crackling across the field of battle. Metal screamed and shuddered, twisted metal expanded and melted. A magnetic pulse spread out from the battlefield, across the continent of Shull; it rose up into the night and bounced off the ionosphere.

An army was wiped out, just like that.

Silence settled over the battlefield, nothing was heard but the ping and crack of cooling metal. So many bodies, so many minds, so much twisted metal. All dead. The soil began to stir again. The beetles were returning. Far away, halfway around the world, a robot monitoring the radio frequencies in distant Yukawa heard a crackle, a blast of white noise. It was the sound of so many souls departing the world, not that he recognized it as such.

He scored his stylus across the metal, drawing the pictograms that represented an electrical storm somewhere over the western sea.

If you liked the above then I strongly recommend you to buy it and immerse yourself in the world of Penrose.

I started I Am Legend last night and finished it today. Definitely deserves its positive reputation, though I think it abruptly and unsatisfactorily fizzles out towards the end. That could be because the plot was totally spoiled for me beforehand, though. Thanks, Internet.

The other Matheson short stories included in the book (movie tie-in with Will Smith on the cover)... eh, I've read three or four and I am not so thrilled about those so far. Buried Talents was cool but the rest are sort of derivative and frankly dull. Or maybe everyone who came after Matheson made them seem that way looking back on them. I dunno.

Working on Cities of the Plain, about halfway through. Not as powerful as The Crossing so far, but more or less on par with All the Pretty Horses and quite good (and I sure hope it stays that way, because I've read everything else McCarthy has written and the dude is getting up there). Everyone in this thread shitting on McCarthy can blow me.

TheWiicast said:
Just picked up "House of Leaves" on a recommendation.

Anyone read it?
thomaser said:
I've read it, and loved it. But there are many who read it and didn't like it at all. Very divisive. Half of it is, for some like me, extremely creepy and fascinating. The other half is not that interesting (the two "halves" are intertwined with each other).

I agree with this. Excellent book, but the "framing story" isn't all that interesting. I kept wanting more of The Navidson Record.

I'll get around to buying Only Revolutions one of these days.

Kawaii

Last books i finished were:

- Shadow of the wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
- Extremely loud & Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer

Books i just bought:

- Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell
- Angels's game - Carlos Ruiz Zafón
- Lord of the Flies - William Golding
- On the other hand - Chris Cleave

Book i'm reading at the moment:

Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh.

All books are in english even though it's not my native language (I'm dutch by the way). I'm reading them to improve my english and offcourse for fun.

Fritz

I am reading another short story collection by John O'Hara. I have really fallen in love with his stuff. I read he was a heavy drinker and a sexual predator which makes perfect sense looking at his body of work. That NY Times article also said he was channeling Chekhov and Turgenev. Chekhov is my favourite author so that makes even more sense. Now I'm thinking of getting into Turgenev. Does anyone have any recommendations on Turgenev?

Kawaii said:
Last books i finished were:

- Shadow of the wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Books i just bought:

- Angels's game - Carlos Ruiz Zafón
<3

Loved Shadow of the Wind. Let me know what you think of Angel's Game. I've been meaning to get to it but keep putting it off for some reason.

Spwn

Started reading this about a week ago and really enjoying myself. Loved Gaiman's Graveyard book and this is even better.

ag.jpg

kinn

Night_Trekker said:
I started I Am Legend last night and finished it today. Definitely deserves its positive reputation, though I think it abruptly and unsatisfactorily fizzles out towards the end. That could be because the plot was totally spoiled for me beforehand, though. Thanks, Internet.

Definitely a great read. Way better than the movie. I know its not that long but you read it in a day?!

Anyone reccommend similar end of the world type books? Ive read day of the Triffids (was good).

kinn said:
Anyone reccommend similar end of the world type books? Ive read day of the Triffids (was good).

This is more of a YA book, but I thought it was a very well written, poignant, personal take on The End of The World. It's the first part of a series, but I haven't read the rest of it because I heard the other books weren't as good. It's written as a series of diary entries. It also has an awesome cover. No zombies or vampires or anything, but just as gripping, IMO.

kinn

nakedsushi said:
This is more of a YA book, but I thought it was a very well written, poignant, personal take on The End of The World. It's the first part of a series, but I haven't read the rest of it because I heard the other books weren't as good. It's written as a series of diary entries. It also has an awesome cover. No zombies or vampires or anything, but just as gripping, IMO.

Indeed it is a nice cover. Will have to check this out when I get the time.

Maklershed said:
A Canticle for Leibowitz, The Postman, Earth Abides, and The World Made by Hand are among my favorites.

Is it better than the dismal movie?

Finished another book of George R. R. Martin's. The more works of his I read, the more I like him. What a versatile guy!

My review:

Fevre Dream is a poignant story about two men learning the value of friendship and trust. Oh, and it has vampires and steamboats.

I've read a lot of vampire books these past few years, some good, some bad, and Fevre Dream definitely belongs in the good category. No, there aren't any sparkling, angsty, vampire love interests. Just blood-thirsty vampires, dilapidated plantations, and a lot of adventures on steamboats.

The story starts off with a steamboat captain who inadvertently agrees to a business partnership with a mysterious man with lots of money and an odd night-time schedule. If I were to just talk about the plot, Fevre Dream would be a pretty mundane vampire book. Luckily, the era and location that the story takes place picks up the slack and makes it a rich, enjoyable read.

I started this book because I'm a fan of George R. R. Martin, but I can see people who haven't read his fantasy works enjoying this as well. I've seen this book categorized as horror and there are some fairly bloody scenes, but nothing that made me afraid to turn off the lights at night.

This just came in at work. Gonna start on it tonight:
5218929999_4dff43435d.jpg

Jenga

Banned
Mifune said:
LOL at calling Cormac McCarthy a dumb sentimental hick.

Dude hangs out with rocket scientists. Real ones!
Yeah, the dude is smart. But to the Road, yeah, definitely my least favorite McCarthy novel.

FnordChan

Earlier this month I finished Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding. I'd been sold on the book with the promise that it was like a steampunk version of the TV show Firefly and that really sums it up. Lots of buckles were swashed, there was adventure and derring-do, and our merry band of heroes are all impressively disreputable and generally entertainingly amoral. The US edition is due out in the spring, but used UK paperbacks are available dirt cheap, so if you're in the mood for some fun, light steampunk adventure, why wait?

61SI2mkdSbL.jpg

Next, I read Jimmy the Kid, the third book in Donald Westlake's Dortmunder series of comic caper novels. Dortmunder is a crook who's generally pretty good at planning his crimes. Unfortunately, things often go hysterically wrong in the execution, as documented in his earlier adventures The Hot Rock and Bank Shot. This time, the Dortmunder gang (such as it is) finds inspiration in a novel that details everything they need to do to kidnap a rich kid for ransom. The gag here is that the fictional book is a Parker novel by Westlake's pseudonym Richard Stark, so you get Westlake writing a pastiche of his own work, which is rather entertainingly meta. Oh, and, of course, everything goes wrong in a terribly entertaining way. It was, as expected, a lot of fun.

As an aside, Jimmy the Kid was surprisingly difficult to track down for a reasonable price, so I wound up picking it up as a combined Detective Book Club edition from 1975, combined with Len Deighton's Spy Story. I wound up doing the same for the fourth Dortmunder novel, Nobody's Perfect.

9db281b0c8a0a5b8f757a110.L.jpg

Finally, as I'd previously only read a few of his adventures here and there, I've started reading straight through the complete Sherlock Holmes novels and stories. I just finished A Study and Scarlet and have just begun The Sign of Four, and I'm enjoying myself immensely. I dunno if I'm going to read straight through all 1060 pages of the first volume at once or take a break after The Sign of Four, but either way I'm looking forward to traveling with Holmes during the holidays.

FnordChan

einstein-his-life-and-universe.jpg

It's pretty informative and it actually does a much better job of explaining his theories and achievements than most professors or teachers. It also goes into details involving the work of other scientists who had a hand in shaping his theories and his approach towards physics such as Plank, Bhor, Lorentz, Heisenberg, and Schrodinger(to name a few). It also dives into Einstein's small involvement in politics and media(the craze for the theory of relativity was massive).

Very enlightening read for anyone interested in any field of science and the thought processes of a genius. I highly recommend it.

Top Bottom