• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2010)

Narag

evilpigking said:
Thanks for the information Verdre and Test, guess I'll look into finding Best Served Cold one of these days.

Hopefully sooner than later. Very entertaining read.

KidDork

nyong said:
Just started:

pattern.jpg

This is my first Gibson book too. His sentence fragments started off somewhat jarring, but I'm starting to appreciate his prose more the further I get in.

Re-read Pattern again recently. God, do I love that book. I'm a fan of Gibson's work in general, but this one just seemed to hit perfectly with me. And now I've gone and probably oversold it, but it is one of my favourites. Hope you enjoy it.

It's also made the Top Ten in Canada Reads this week!

Salazar

I'm rereading Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor. I'm writing a tiny paper on it for a symposium, and I need to refresh my memory and take some notes.

So goddamned good.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I agree with Salazar on John Updike. Memories of the Ford Administration in particular:

A simple request from an organization of historians for impressions of the Ford administration elicits these "memories" as reponse. Professor Alfred Clayton remembers what the Ford years meant for him: domestic disruption in the wake of his leaving his wife, the Queen of Disorder, for his idealized mistress, the Perfect Wife; ubiquitous sexual license; and the eventual abandonment of his attempt to write a sympathetic biography of President James Buchanan.

But the subject of this virtuoso performance is not so much life during the Ford years as it is human memory and how lives, both our own and those of the historical dead, are remembered. Updike writes with droll wit and sly observation, serving up a meditation on history hidden in an erotic comedy. This should stand in the Updike oeuvre where Pale Fire does in that of Nabokov.

Finished up The Diamond Age for my steampunk month. It has *some* steampunk characteristics (neo victorians) but I wouldn't call it straight steampunk. Nevertheless, LOVED LOVED LOVED it. My favorite Stephenson book to date. Snow Crash was okay in a sort of "wow, the future is so ridiculous and 80s in this book" but The Diamond Age was scary and believable!

(full review on Goodreads)

My theme this month is short stories, so started off with a book I already have but haven't read yet:

Off the recommendation of another member here, I started off with the short story Story of Your Life. Poignant, sad, but ultimately changed a little of my world-view. Loved how it blended sci-fi with linguistics. Being a programmer with a degree in linguistics, it's right up my alley. Can't wait to read the rest of this book.

shawnlreed

charsace said:
51qpkfne8fl3.jpg

I've only just started reading this. So far the book is told from the perspective of 2 characters; a super hero and a super villian. I like it so far though.

Very enjoyable book. The first few chapters especially seemed like a really smart take on the superhero/supervillain narrative.
Interestingly, Austin's brother Lev wrote The Magicians, which is also a book I would highly recommend.

4502226725_b8977e1906.jpg

Dresden

I wasn't too impressed by The Magician. Didn't even finish it. I did finish his first novel, Codex, but that wasn't a remarkable read either. Pretty average books.

peakish

Finally decided on

Good Omens as my first dive into Gaiman (or Gaiman/Pratchett as it is)
Dissolution by Christopher Sansom as my murder mystery, sadly it's not set in an English manor but in a monastery - still taking suggestions (0 so far) for the first kind!

shawnlreed

Dresden said:
I wasn't too impressed by The Magician. Didn't even finish it. I did finish his first novel, Codex, but that wasn't a remarkable read either. Pretty average books.
Are these threads supposed to be about bashing other peoples book selections?
GAF sure is friendly.

Salazar

Interactive Fiction said:
GAF sure is friendly.

If they deserve it, sure. Folks reading Ayn Rand should expect what's coming. And 'The Magician' is fourth-rate.

GAF sure is friendly.

Welcome to Gaf?

Also, I finished Kindred. It ends very suddenly... but I think I liked it?

Currently reading The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster. Finished the first two stories. City of Glass kinda flew over my head, did not really know where at all the story was going and what tone it had, but after finishing that, Ghosts was easier to read and understand and get into. Now I can groove with some of the seemingly nonsensical stuff in it. Gonna start the last book soon.

Ghosts is the one about a guy who is paid to report on everything that happens in the room across from him, right?

I really liked that one.

Well, I really liked the first one as well. I never did finish the 3rd story though.

Kellhus

Neo Member
51RgtpHYM0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I enjoyed the first book in this series, and this one is good so far. Kind of reminds me of a steampunk version of Firefly

eosos

Banned
Just finished
kite-runner.jpg

Amazing book. Read it

Anyways, I'm in the mood for a good fantasy book, something akin to The Lord of the Rings. I haven't actually read many books of this genre. Any recommendations?

Dresden

GAF sure is friendly.
Sorry if I offended you, man. Just offering my opinion on the books.

eosos said:
Anyways, I'm in the mood for a good fantasy book, something akin to The Lord of the Rings. I haven't actually read many books of this genre. Any recommendations?
Sure.

a-shadow-in-summer-by-daniel-abraham.jpg

Kellhus said:
51RgtpHYM0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I enjoyed the first book in this series, and this one is good so far. Kind of reminds me of a steampunk version of Firefly

OMG, if I weren't burned out on steampunk, I'd so be there. I'll add it to my to-read list for later.

Narag

GAF sure is friendly.

Opinions should be welcomed and that's hardly a bash. Generally, I just lurk this thread but I'm grateful for the extra opinions, especially from a few of the posters whose taste I hold in a high regard. It also makes titles they may speak out against a bit more palatable if I know what I'm getting into in advance.

Dresden said:
0446526681.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The last isn't strictly fantasy--it's an alternate history of an Africa-dominated world. It's one of my favorite books. Of all time. Of all time!

I remember reading a chapter or so of his Star Wars EU novel back in the day and thinking he could be doing much better than being a tie-in novelist and he has? Very interesting.

Dresden

Tim the Wiz said:
I remember reading a chapter or so of his Star Wars EU novel back in the day and thinking he could be doing much better than being a tie-in novelist and he has? Very interesting.
I edited it out to do a proper post on the wonders of Lion's Blood, but I'll save that for later.

Ashes

Banned
Let's see, what beside my bed right now... Shfiting between several. Artemis fowl, atlantis complex, a kids book; I used to know that: English, grammar book; and The girl with the Dragon tatoo, thriller etc, <you should really know about this book.

Dresden

Tim the Wiz said:
Understandable. From the synopsis it doesn't sound like the "something akin to Lord of the Rings" requested.
I completely dropped the ball there.

I'll just pretend the Quartet is Tolkien-lite.

Got a few pages into Graceland tonight. Pretty enjoyable.

edit: wow, totally fine with it now.

Sotha Sil

Dresden said:
I completely dropped the ball there.

I'll just pretend the Quartet is Tolkien-lite.

Got a few pages into Graceland tonight. Pretty enjoyable.

edit: wow, totally fine with it now.

I love that you recommanded the Quartet, but come on, don't ruin the man's good name; that's no Tolkien-lite ;) . Abraham is in a league of his own. Read it anyway, eosos!

If you are in the mood for something light and epic, you might want to check out Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Saga (starting with Magician). Elves, magic, ancient evil and invaders from another world. Great fun reading it back in the days, and if you love Tolkien, you might very well like this. If you'd rather read something more introspective and less high-fantasy, I would recommend Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy (starting with Assassin's Apprentice). Hobb's characterization is incredible; one of the best I've ever read, fantasy-wise. And if you're in for some grit, A Song of Ice and Fire is clearly a must-read - but you are a GAFfer, so you probably know all there is to know about GRR Martin already!

Those are mainstream series, so maybe you've already read them, or at the very least heard of them. If you haven't, those would be great starting points. Check them out!

(And buy Abraham's books.)

Instead of Franzen's The Corrections, I started Moby Dick for the first time. And I love it. Melville reminds me of an American Dickens in that they describe each and every scene with as many tangible details as possible, and it's great. Not in the Tolkien way, I mean, it comes across as conversation the million details he imbues a road or inn with. Just taking in the atmosphere at the moment, though Ishmael is about to board the ship.

I love the fact that he points out when he's discussing the metaphysical, and I love the small moments he usually ends and begins sections with. I can't put it down, and it's easy to read. Can't wait to see what the essays beforehand in this edition say.

moby-dick.jpg

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I just got a copy of The Magicians for cheap on Amazon as a throw-in to qualify for free shipping. Haven't read it yet though.

Salazar

afternoon delight said:
Instead of Franzen's The Corrections, I started Moby Dick for the first time.

I'm just about to join you. A friend has spent her career writing about it, and she put her foot down yesterday and finally bullied me into promising to read it.

Karakand

afternoon delight said:
Instead of Franzen's The Corrections, I started Moby Dick for the first time. And I love it. Melville reminds me of an American Dickens in that they describe each and every scene with as many tangible details as possible, and it's great.
Feel like Melville was a little more genuine in this regard since he wasn't being paid by the word (afaik). No hate though Dickens, GRODT--especially in the libertarian nightmare of Victorian England.

Anyways, enjoy!

Another Gravity's Rainbow- Thomas Pynchon here

Read Crying of Lot 49 and Vineland before. People suggested I go to V. or Inherent Vice (Lot, Vineland and Vice form a trilogy of accessible California Pynchon I take it), but I have wanted to read Rainbow for a bit, especially since people I've talked to have tossed out comparisons to Naked Lunch. About 120 pages in at the moment, I tend to reread passages I enjoy, lots of that going on at the moment :lol

Tim the Wiz said:
Can those who do not have the capacity to read the original texts honestly nominate a translated Russian, Frenchman, etc. for greatest ever prose stylist? (We are therefore not talking about the Lolitas and Lord Jims of this world.)

It's strange that you picked two novelists who famously wrote novels in their non-native languages. Conrad for his entire career, as far as I know, and Nabokov after his initial Russian novels. Both Lord Jim and Lolita were written in English. Nabokov wrote his later novels in English first and then translated them into Russian.

tyguy20204 said:
It's strange that you picked two novelists who famously wrote novels in their non-native languages. Conrad for his entire career, as far as I know, and Nabokov after his initial Russian novels. Both Lord Jim and Lolita were written in English. Nabokov wrote his later novels in English first and then translated them into Russian.

I'm used to reading comprehension issues on the gaming side, not here. "We are therefore not talking about the Lolitas and Lord Jims of this world" points to those works not being translated into English, even though they were written by a Russian and a Pole respectively. I actually cited those - as you say - famous examples to make clear that it shouldn't be taken for granted that every non-Anglosphere author has their work translated into English - plenty write their work originally as such. So, when talking about greatest ever prose stylists, it might be more difficult to nominate non-Anglosphere authors like Dostoevsky, whose work is subject to the varying quality of different translations, over those like Nabokov, whose work was - for the most part - written originally in English.

J2d

The Dice Man. I have never been much of a reader but I've been picking up some books that I started reading but never finished in school around 14 years or so ago. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Any recommendations once I'm trough with it?

Tim the Wiz said:
I'm used to reading comprehension issues on the gaming side, not here.

I appreciate the condescension, but I would place the blame at least partially upon you - for your poor syntax.

And no shit, it's difficult to judge the prose of a translated text. Hearty applause for you! Incredible insight!

Salazar

J2d said:
The Dice Man. I have never been much of a reader but I've been picking up some books that I started reading but never finished in school around 14 years or so ago. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Any recommendations once I'm trough with it?

Money, by Martin Amis.

tyguy20204 said:
I appreciate the condescension, but I would place the blame at least partially upon you - for your poor syntax.

And no shit, it's difficult to judge the prose of a translated text. Hearty applause for you! Incredible insight!

It certainly wasn't an attempt at insight, but rather an attempt at elaborating on a question asked in the flow of discussion which you found fault with due to my laughably poor syntax which leads to, I assure you, constant consternation.

Dresden

jeremy70583 said:
So having second thoughts of xenocide after reading reviews. should i skip xenocide and book 4 and go straight to ender's shadow?
Just ditch the series altogether and pretend nothing more was written after Speaker of the Dead.

Kraftwerk

Fall%20of%20Hyperion%20Front%20Book%20Cover.gif

God the moment i finished the Hyperion i said 'FUUUUUUUUUUU' and ran to the closest bookstore to get this.I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Dresden

Cyan said:
The next book is set on Komarr a year after Diplomatic Immunity, and stars none other than champion responsibility-dodger Ivan Vorpatril! I already can't wait. :D
Oh. My. God.

My favorite bro of the whole series. Can't wait.

Yasser

416EGSB7HPL._SS500_.jpg

despite having gone to dulwich college myself i didn't ever bother read anything by wodehouse until last week and feel like a fucking imbecile for not having jumped on the bandwagon sooner, despite being a slow reader i've almost finished the entire thing in under week. when i'm done with this i have this lined up:
the-death-of-bunny-munro.jpg

really have no idea what to expect but bought it 2nd hand for cheap, mostly because of the irvine welsh quote on the back

Timber

Tim the Wiz said:
It certainly wasn't an attempt at insight, but rather an attempt at elaborating on a question asked in the flow of discussion which you found fault with due to my laughably poor syntax which leads to, I assure you, constant consternation.
are you guys seriously, honestly, kidding me with this shit?

Top Bottom