• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2010)

canocha

Finished (Ghostheart):
41jJfaaIolL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Starts a little bit slow, but in the end its fantastic!

Now Reading (A Thousand Splendid Suns):
thousand-splendid-suns-l_t325.jpg

Very nice so far!

thomaser

Just finished Ibsen's "The Master Builder". Only three more and I've read all his plays.

Next up:
41RUEQoczCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

On the Road - The Original Scroll, by Jack Kerouac. I've wanted to read this for 15 years or so. FINALLY. This edition has no less than four introductory essays, totaling over 100 pages, before the book starts.

nyong

Banned
Just finished:

american-gods.jpg

It took me far too long to finish it, but I really enjoyed the entire book. Including the ending.

Just started:

pattern.jpg

This is my first Gibson book too. His sentence fragments started off somewhat jarring, but I'm starting to appreciate his prose more the further I get in.

Salazar

peakish said:
Now finishing off The Mortdecai Trilogy which has been quite enjoyable and makes me want to speak British instead of American English as well as start my drinking no later than 1pm on weekdays.

And to have a thug manservant like Jock.

Karakand

otake, wanted to rec B.B.'s short story collection to you but (1) I haven't finished it yet and (2) one of the stories I did read was about pirates. smh.

Speaking of B.B., I'm reading:

27XUy.jpg

P.S. Baal is kind of a dick.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Karakand said:

In case anybody needed my reviews for this, they are:

Nobody Said Anything 2.5
Bicycles, muscles, cigarettes 2
The student's wife 4.5
They're not your husband 3.5
What do you do in San Francisco 3
Fat 4
What's in Alaska 3
Neighbors 2.5
Put Yourself in My Shoes 3.5
Collectors 1.5
Why, honey 1.5
Are These Actual Miles? 3
Gazebo 4.5
One More thing 2
Little things 1
Why Don't You Dance 3.5
A serious talk 3.5
What we talk about when we talk about love 2
Distance 5
The third thing that killed my father off 1
So much water so close to home 3
The Calm 1.5
Vitamins 4
Careful 3
Where I'm calling from 3.5
Chef's House 4.5
Fever 4
Feathers 5
Cathedral 5
A small good thing 3 (terrible ending)
Boxes 1.5
Whoever was using this bed 2
Intimacy 0
Menudo 2
Elephant 0
Blackbird Pie 2

Also I am reading:

wnLd4.jpg

and this comes out in 2 days on kindle, finally finally finally finally:

6KX7l.jpg

Stephen King's Hearts in Atlantis
I read this when it first came out as a kid, and I have to say, I think it's King's best. I love his work, don't get me wrong, but the stories he chooses for this book are his most involving and charged. I think it's because he decided to "play it straight" for the majority of it, unless I'm remembering that wrong. Everyone should read it, and not just for the first story tied to the Tower.

On the Road - The Original Scroll, by Jack Kerouac. I've wanted to read this for 15 years or so. FINALLY. This edition has no less than four introductory essays, totaling over 100 pages, before the book starts.
HOLY FUCK THIS EXISTS WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE? Instant bought. Thank you so much.

QVT said:
Nobody Said Anything 2.5
Bicycles, muscles, cigarettes 2
The student's wife 4.5
They're not your husband 3.5
What do you do in San Francisco 3
Fat 4
What's in Alaska 3
Neighbors 2.5
Put Yourself in My Shoes 3.5
Collectors 1.5
Why, honey 1.5
Are These Actual Miles? 3
Gazebo 4.5
One More thing 2
Little things 1
Why Don't You Dance 3.5
A serious talk 3.5
What we talk about when we talk about love 2
Distance 5
The third thing that killed my father off 1
So much water so close to home 3
The Calm 1.5
Vitamins 4
Careful 3
Where I'm calling from 3.5
Chef's House 4.5
Fever 4
Feathers 5
Cathedral 5
A small good thing 3 (terrible ending)
Boxes 1.5
Whoever was using this bed 2
Intimacy 0
Menudo 2
Elephant 0
Blackbird Pie 2
Boo this individual.

Sotha Sil

afternoon delight said:
I read this when it first came out as a kid, and I have to say, I think it's King's best. I love his work, don't get me wrong, but the stories he chooses for this book are his most involving and charged. I think it's because he decided to "play it straight" for the majority of it, unless I'm remembering that wrong. Everyone should read it, and not just for the first story tied to the Tower.

Exactly how I felt about Hearts. Forget all you know about King. It's a really touching collection.

Exactly how I felt about Hearts. Forget all you know about King. It's a really touching collection.
It's honestly been about eight to ten years since I read it, but I still vividly connect to reading the scene where Bobby receives a letter.

Eric WK

Hm. Guess I haven't posted in here yet this month. So far I've finished The Broom of the System (***) and Dubliners (*****) and started and finished Girl With Curious Hair (****) and The End of the Affair (****). I also bought Garner's Modern American Usage and so I read a few entries in that each day. I was incredibly tempted to start The Instructions by Adam Levin, which is receiving a lot of praise and a lot of DFW comparisons, but it's not on Kindle and I don't really need more 1,000 page books knocking about.

Starting V. today instead.

n1052.jpg

Eric WK said:
I was incredibly tempted to start The Instructions by Adam Levin, which is receiving a lot of praise and a lot of DFW comparisons, but it's not on Kindle and I don't really need more 1,000 page books knocking about.

Yeah, I could certainly live without the book's bulk, but it's a small price to pay for the content. Thus far (I'm almost halfway), it's living up to the hype.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
8zpwk1.png

Just started Brandon Sanderson's new book, and I'm hooked BADLY. Stayed up way too late last night reading. For those not in-the-know, Sanderson is the guy finishing up Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. This book marks book 1 of a planned 10 part series, all of Sanderson's own creation.

The world he's crafted is well-planned, for sure. Rich in detail, history, everything. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting in on the ground floor of a new fantasy series. I hope he churns them out at a brisk pace. I'm only 1/4th the way through this first one and I can already tell the wait for book 2 will be excruciating.

Jarlaxle

aidan said:
Coming from a guy whose username is based on an RA Salvatore novel...?

I'd read anything Salvatore ever wrote (except maybe the Spearweilder's Trilogy...ugh) than read a Shannara book ever again. At least they aren't all generic ripoffs of LOTR with zero character depth and no surprise whatsoever. Also, Salvatore's fight scenes are second to none.

I don't think Salvatore is the greatest writer ever but he's definitely a tier above Brooks. Have you ever read the Demon Wars books? I think they are a litte underrated but then again, Salvatore will always have that stigma b/c of the Drizzt books.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Jarlaxle said:
I'd read anything Salvatore ever wrote (except maybe the Spearweilder's Trilogy...ugh) than read a Shannara book ever again. At least they aren't all generic ripoffs of LOTR with zero character depth and no surprise whatsoever. Also, Salvatore's fight scenes are second to none.

I don't think Salvatore is the greatest writer ever but he's definitely a tier above Brooks. Have you ever read the Demon Wars books? I think they are a litte underrated but then again, Salvatore will always have that stigma b/c of the Drizzt books.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Demon Wars novels and count Mortalis as one of my favourite novels ever. But The Ancient was absolute shit and I stopped reading his Corona novels after that (despite getting copies for review from his publisher). Point is, he and Brooks are, in the grand scheme of the genre, on roughly the same level and it's splitting hairs to slam one of them while sporting a username from the other.

Have you read beyond Sword of Shannara? Brooks is far from a perfect author, but a lot of people write him off as a Tolkien-clone without reading past his first novel (which even Brooks admits was a rip-off of LOTR, a ploy by Lester Del Rey to reinvigorate the stale Epic Fantasy genre.)

aidan

Cyan said:
Oh my God, it's like that internet geek hierarchy come to life.

Protip: if you're arguing the relative merits of a D&D writer, you're doing it wrong.

:lol

Sometimes I get a little carried away!

Jarlaxle

aidan said:
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Demon Wars novels and count Mortalis as one of my favourite novels ever. But The Ancient was absolute shit and I stopped reading his Corona novels after that (despite getting copies for review from his publisher). Point is, he and Brooks are, in the grand scheme of the genre, on roughly the same level and it's splitting hairs to slam one of them while sporting a username from the other.

Have you read beyond Sword of Shannara? Brooks is far from a perfect author, but a lot of people write him off as a Tolkien-clone without reading past his first novel (which even Brooks admits was a rip-off of LOTR, a ploy by Lester Del Rey to reinvigorate the stale Epic Fantasy genre.)

I haven't read past the original 7 book set for the Demon Wars. I read 7 books in the Shannara world. The first trilogy and then the four book set, The Heritage of Shannara. I just didn't care for them.

I'm not upset or anything and I'm sorry if I came off that way. Just didn't enjoy those books and I have a special affinity for Salvatore as I've been reading his books for about 20 years now.

I think I'll stop here before I'm called a geek again (which I probably am). :lol

aidan

Jarlaxle said:
I haven't read past the original 7 book set for the Demon Wars. I read 7 books in the Shannara world. The first trilogy and then the four book set, The Heritage of Shannara. I just didn't care for them.

I'm not upset or anything and I'm sorry if I came off that way. Just didn't enjoy those books and I have a special affinity for Salvatore as I've been reading his books for about 20 years now.

:)

Fair enough. Like Cyan, I just saw the irony in debating the merit's of B-level Fantasy authors.

Jarlaxle said:
I think I'll stop here before I'm called a geek again (which I probably am). :lol

We all are, don't worry!

Alucard

Banned
Can we try to make it a rule that a poster has to provide some form of information about his/her novel, instead of just posting a picture of the cover and expecting the rest of the readers to just be interested or care based on that?

Kraftwerk

Just finished Childhoods end .Absolutely loved it.
51ktGOkgYdL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

without warning, giant silver ships from deep space appear in the skies above every major city on Earth. Manned by the Overlords, in fifty years, they eliminate ignorance, disease, and poverty. Then this golden age ends--and then the age of Mankind begins....

Currently 3/4 of the way in Hyperion.Love how how rich and in depth each 'tale' is.Can't wait to finish it.

51zwyTJNlWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

On the world called Hyperion, beyond the law of the Hegemony of Man, there waits the creature called the Shrike. There are those who worship it. There are those who fear it. And there are those who have vowed to destroy it. In the Valley of the Time Tombs, where huge, brooding structures move backward through time, the Shrike waits for them all. On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope--and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.

Eric WK said:
Starting V. today instead.

n1052.jpg

I love this book. I made the mistake of loaning it out while in the middle of reading it... so I haven't gotten to finish it yet. But every page just inspires me to write my own book. Great stuff

Karakand

Alucard said:
Can we try to make it a rule that a poster has to provide some form of information about his/her novel, instead of just posting a picture of the cover and expecting the rest of the readers to just be interested or care based on that?
I'm down.

51JUozi2oEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

The real thing on Audio, and I own the abridged version.

Almost finished this one. About 50 pages left or so. It doesn't have chapter numbers or titles.
41BuMl15xcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dresden

I've been a bit too busy to keep up with my reading, but I did pick up this book yesterday:

6a00d8341c630a53ef0133f2f233b1970b-800wi

And also ordered:

fearsdeath.jpg

And I still haven't started the new Bujold.

QVT

Cyan said:
Yeah, novels. Thinking I should expand my novel reading from SEC-style scheduling to more Pac-10-style.

Just looking for some suggestions.

It's Lolita, there's no question, and I'm a little disappointed that this response wasn't given instead of asking for a qualification! I'll take it up with the California Elitist Committee.

Karakand

QVT said:
It's Lolita, there's no question, and I'm a little disappointed that this response wasn't given instead of asking for a qualification! I'll take it up with the California Elitist Committee.
i wanted to answer KJV for mad ironing alright (peeps think it's so good that it's the literal word of god)

e: hard 2 argue w/ low leeeeee ta but i thought you like majored in english cyan didn't you get a pac-101 reading list to get that or is bezerkely all about the books that should be read for socio-historical significance in like a history class or w/e not in an english one about aesthetic joy [via words] (e.g. y'all don't know what it's like, growing up x in y)

Karakand

Would go with Quiet American for G.G. since you're living the failure of American idealism atm.

Also a dude doesn't survive being blown to smithereens by a V b/c a naked lady prayed.

QVT

Karakand said:
Would go with Quiet American for G.G. since you're living the failure of American idealism atm.

Also a dude doesn't survive being blown to smithereens by a V b/c a naked lady prayed.

I'll read Quiet American after Loser. And that isn't why he survives! It's just what she believes and in his secret atheism Greene is commenting on the futility of a god of the gaps.

:( I wish that was the truth

Karakand

QVT said:
I'll read Quiet American after Loser. And that isn't why he survives! It's just what she believes and in his secret atheism Greene is commenting on the futility of a god of the gaps.

:( I wish that was the truth
u just entered the god own zone, sucka

Cyan said:
Majored in Cognitive Science, dawg. It's got science in the name so you know it's the seriousest shit.
Ah well in that case you should set aside like 2-3 years of your life and read Proust.

Can those who do not have the capacity to read the original texts honestly nominate a translated Russian, Frenchman, etc. for greatest ever prose stylist? (We are therefore not talking about the Lolitas and Lord Jims of this world.) And to break up the Nabokov-Joyce-Proust love-in, the best of Twain or Wodehouse would be my vote right now.

Dresden said:

I've heard good things. Please confirm.

Karakand

Tim the Wiz said:
Can those who do not have the capacity to read the original texts honestly nominate a translated Russian, Frenchman, etc. for greatest ever prose stylist? (We are therefore not talking about the Lolitas and Lord Jims of this world.)
I don't believe in divine, untranslatable languages.

b1oaq.gif
The powers capitalist homogenization.
I1Kgk.gif

Yasser said:
i thought you were a big fan of brent weeks
no fans, only targets

Finished The First Law Trilogy and finally started on At the Queen's Command.

I enjoyed the First Law tril. it was easy light reading and Abercrombie kept the pace and action moving along at a good click. The narration swapping was done well and didn't become confusing.

Given the ending though, will there be a sequel of sorts? I understand that his 4th book is an unrelated stand alone.

As an unrelated aside: As much as I love buying books used, I fucking hate people who dog ear pages. I want to punch them in their pricks, it is not hard to use a bookmark (whether an actual bookmark or an improvised one).

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
evilpigking said:
Given the ending though, will there be a sequel of sorts? I understand that his 4th book is an unrelated stand alone.

Abercrombie's books after First Law are standalone, but also sequels (Best Served Cold is set a bit after First Law, The Heroes is set a bit after BSC) as they're part of the same universe and generally feature side characters from First Law as main characters, so they're not unrelated and you'll get info on what happens to the ones from the trilogy.

evilpigking said:

What Verdre wrote...

I finally got Towers of Midnight from Amazon. Barely got through the prologue last night.

Top Bottom