• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2013)

Finished Louise Erdrich's The Round House. ★★★

It was beautifully written and had an amazing beginning and end. My issue is it really slogged along in the middle, with the plot barely progressing and static characters. I really dug the insights into native American culture and what it was like growing up on a reservation.

On to Blake Crouch's Pines. I'm looking forward to some supernatural goodness.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Wait, that's a seven books series? Wasn't it originally just a trilogy?

It's always been a seven volume series. Sort of.

In fact, the three novels that Lynch has written preceded his original plan for the series, which was supposed to being at around the time of the next novel, <em>The Thorn of Emberlain</em>, until he decided that the back story (covered in the three now-published novels) was too essential. He went back to the beginning and wrote <em>The Lies of Locke Lamora</em> to help introduce readers to Locke and the world. Lynch sold the series to his publisher as a seven volumes. The next novel, and three that follow, begin the story that Lynch originally intended to tell.

51HohxP1ZKL.jpg

It's a memoir depicting an English couple moving to rural Spain to live a simpler life of agriculture and animal husbandry. Stewart's writing style is very warm and vivid, making even the most mundane tasks seem adventurous and exciting. As the title promises, the book provides an optimistic, carpe diem attitude throughout. I enjoy every second of reading it and I always feel better after every chapter, highly suggested if you're looking for some fun, inspirational light reading.

huxley00

I am trying to read Ancillary Justice right now, but I am not liking this book. I am pretty close to just putting it away.

If you hate it, dump it....I had similar feelings about Atlas Shrugged and forced my way through it. I didn't enjoy a single moment and should have just tossed it early on.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are there any good books that have an "X-Files" feel to them? I've been trying to find books like that for a while, but I may just be really bad at looking.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I am trying to read Ancillary Justice right now, but I am not liking this book. I am pretty close to just putting it away.

I had tough early goings with Ancillary Justice, too. Then, around the 1/3 mark, the book clicked with me and I burned through the final 2/3. If the gender thing is throwing you off, just assume that everyone is female.

Are there any good books that have an "X-Files" feel to them? I've been trying to find books like that for a while, but I may just be really bad at looking.

I just started one that I've seen compared to X-Files and Twin Peaks. It's called Pines by Blake Crouch. A sequel called Wayward just dropped, so I intend to read both of them.

The author has openly stated that he was inspired by Twin Peaks for the book.

Synopsis from Amazon:
Secret service agent Ethan Burke arrives in Wayward Pines, Idaho, with a clear mission: locate and recover two federal agents who went missing in the bucolic town one month earlier. But within minutes of his arrival, Ethan is involved in a violent accident. He comes to in a hospital, with no ID, no cell phone, and no briefcase. The medical staff seems friendly enough, but something feels…off. As the days pass, Ethan’s investigation into the disappearance of his colleagues turns up more questions than answers. Why can’t he get any phone calls through to his wife and son in the outside world? Why doesn’t anyone believe he is who he says he is? And what is the purpose of the electrified fences surrounding the town? Are they meant to keep the residents in? Or something else out? Each step closer to the truth takes Ethan further from the world he thought he knew, from the man he thought he was, until he must face a horrifying fact—he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive. Intense and gripping, Pines is another masterful thriller from the mind of bestselling novelist Blake Crouch.

I'll let you know what I think.

Empty

read

Levels-of-Life.jpg

it's a non-fiction essay, a short story and a memoir essay loosely connected thematically. i thought the first two parts were light and fluffy but not particularly memorable, but the final part about barnes' experience dealing with his grief after the death of his wife is absolutely amazing. great writing.

now i'm reading this

Saul_Bellow.jpg

it's good. i think i might be too young to appreciate the interesting stuff about being middle aged and feeling trapped in your life where you want something better but you're too far invested in life to change, but the exploration of the father-son relationship is so good. he really nails the way that years of emotional baggage between family members can lead to intractable resentment, bitterness and alienation.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just started one that I've seen compared to X-Files and Twin Peaks. It's called Pines by Blake Crouch. A sequel called Wayward just dropped, so I intend to read both of them.

The author has openly stated that he was inspired by Twin Peaks for the book.

Synopsis from Amazon:
Secret service agent Ethan Burke arrives in Wayward Pines, Idaho, with a clear mission: locate and recover two federal agents who went missing in the bucolic town one month earlier. But within minutes of his arrival, Ethan is involved in a violent accident. He comes to in a hospital, with no ID, no cell phone, and no briefcase. The medical staff seems friendly enough, but something feels…off. As the days pass, Ethan’s investigation into the disappearance of his colleagues turns up more questions than answers. Why can’t he get any phone calls through to his wife and son in the outside world? Why doesn’t anyone believe he is who he says he is? And what is the purpose of the electrified fences surrounding the town? Are they meant to keep the residents in? Or something else out? Each step closer to the truth takes Ethan further from the world he thought he knew, from the man he thought he was, until he must face a horrifying fact—he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive. Intense and gripping, Pines is another masterful thriller from the mind of bestselling novelist Blake Crouch.

I'll let you know what I think.

Synopsis sounds pretty rad. For $5 on Kindle, I may just bite the bullet and give it a go. Thanks!

Fxp

Just finished "Alienist". My expectations were really hight, book was fine but a little underwhelming. Next in line is "Memoirs of Imaginary Friend".

Synopsis sounds pretty rad. For $5 on Kindle, I may just bite the bullet and give it a go. Thanks!

Awesome. It comes highly recommended from my father-in-law. This is my first time taking him up on a recommendation, so I have no idea what types of books he enjoys. The premise sounds pretty sweet. I'm two chapters into it so far and the writing is quite good.

------

For those interested, Amazon's daily deal is The Universe Versus Alex Woods. I haven't heard of it but it was the Amazon book of the month in July and has strong reviews across the board. For $2.99 I'll bite.

Finally finished The Book of the New Sun . It's great. The second book (the Claw) had some parts that were not very interesting (the time Severian spends with jolenta and dr talos), but the second half of the series was too good. Still some things that im in doubt about, so next month ill probably tackle Urth of the new Sun. There were some [major spoilers beware]
2001 feelings towards the end there. I came to realise when i was reading the third book that the book titles,even though they are very different, all refer to Severian. This seems to be a bit similar to the idea that by the end the Autarch is many in one. But if that is so, It means Severian is really the Conciliator? I dont think that was made clear. But at one point it is said that the Conciliator and the New Sun are the same. Is that the reason why Severian by the end is wearing the color brighter than white? (Once the Conciliator is called the black Sun, which reminds us of Severian's old cloak.) now rereading the part where Severian kills Typhon, he strikes right at the moment when Typhon says he will master the New Sun once he comes. And, in that sense, the name of the series is also another name for Severian. But isnt the New Sun supposed to be this god-like figure? Will Severian transcend his humanity, just like in 2001?
im just wandering at this point.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just read up to the
wedding
in A Storm of Swords.

I'm gonna lie down. Hopefully I wake up and it's all a silly dream.

Clegg

It's always been a seven volume series. Sort of.

In fact, the three novels that Lynch has written preceded his original plan for the series, which was supposed to being at around the time of the next novel, <em>The Thorn of Emberlain</em>, until he decided that the back story (covered in the three now-published novels) was too essential. He went back to the beginning and wrote <em>The Lies of Locke Lamora</em> to help introduce readers to Locke and the world. Lynch sold the series to his publisher as a seven volumes. The next novel, and three that follow, begin the story that Lynch originally intended to tell.
I wasn't aware that the first three weren't originally planned, but I definitely got the sense that Republic of Thieves was bringing the story in a different direction.

I also get the feeling that Locke isnt going to get a happily ever after with Sabetha, no matter how much both characters, and the fans, want it.

TCRS

Banned
97411.jpg

I'm currently listening to the last part of Dan Carlin's Death Throes of the Republic which reminded me that I always wanted to read Seneca's letters. I've orderd it, should be here tomorrow.

Blatz

Finished this:
51A0mlNosbL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I really love the Expanse series.

On to this:
51yQAM%2BbCqL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Book 2 was fantastic. I hope this one doesn't let me down.

read

Levels-of-Life.jpg

it's a non-fiction essay, a short story and a memoir essay loosely connected thematically. i thought the first two parts were light and fluffy but not particularly memorable, but the final part about barnes' experience dealing with his grief after the death of his wife is absolutely amazing. great writing.

My thoughts exactly. I would have been happy to just read the last part.

Jimothy

Just finished Slaughterhouse Five and The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

Now onto...

It's been sitting on my Kindle for like 8 months.

Finished this last night and got kind of depressed. I think that's when you know a book is really good.

Next up is...

sYobt9j.jpg

survivor

Banned
Just finished reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Pretty good coming of age story although I'm not the biggest fan of the letters writing style of telling the story. I also did expect a
grim ending with the suicide of Charlie or one of his friends, but there was nothing wrong with the uplifting ending that I got instead.
TtOHKkm.jpg

Sblargh

Banned
Finished reading Good Omens and also Animal Farm since that one was a pretty short read. Also started reading The Master and Margarita. It's pretty weird so far, but I'm liking it.
dQdsCzE.jpg

I read part 1, then I had to travel away from home for a month and... forgot the book behind. T_T

In a few hours I'll be back home, so I'll finish Lusíadas and just dive back into this. I really can't wait. It's such a weird book, it is just nagging at my mind the whole time I've been away from it.

arkon

Finished The Tyrant's Law by Daniel Abraham. What a way to end it. Leaves me with all sorts of questions that I need answering. Right now!

However, I didn't like it as much as the first two books but it was still an enjoyable read. Not a duff POV in the book. All had their merits. I really liked the blossoming friendship between Kit and Marcus on the road and obviously the revelations from their adventure. Enjoyed Cithrin's growth in this volume, particularly that moment where she decides against a course of action that I feel she would have happily gone through with a year or two earlier. Clara was an ace addition. Probably my favourite parts of the book. And the way her story ended in this book... :( . Geder is Geder. Nothing he does surprises me at this point, although I still did a double-take every now and then during his sections. "How do you come to that conclusion?" :smh:

Anxiously awaiting the next book now. Abraham has yet to let me down. I believe I want his babies.

Now moving on to The Spirit Lens by Carol Berg

Leeness

Stiiiiiiill listening to It. Got a bit sidetracked for a bit. Damn what a long book haha.

It's great though! The adult Losers are reminiscing and the child Losers are forging silver bullets.
Also Patrick just died and what the fuck that was disgusting. I was gagging on the bus.

The part after though with all the kid Losers in the rain with Bill screaming and crying and the giant group hug was really, really sweet.

dantehemi

Hey gaf I need some advice.
I started reading bleeding edge by Thomas Pynchon and I really can't seem to get into it, now I'm not saying the book is not good or anything like that, but I'm finding it hard to keep up with the fast paced conversation in the book. I've never really read a book that has such fast paced conversation like this before.
I'm about 100 pages in and seem to have a general idea of what is going on and I can see that the story is interesting, but I feel like I'm missing so much as I find it hard to keep track of who is speaking and stuff like that.

So my question is. Is this book above my reading level? (I've read all the game of thrones books and a bunch of other stuff with full comprehension)
Has anyone else found this book to be the way I described?
Any tips for reading these kinda books?

Sorry if I come off sounding stupid or ignorant, but it bothers me that this book seems to just ramble on and I don't wanna write it off just yet if there is something I can do to maybe help me enjoy this book more than I am now.

Tldr; how do you keep track of who's speaking in books with quick transitions and multiple characters speaking at once.

Necrovex

I completed Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids. A solid 3/5. I wasn't in love with Oe's work, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Now I am reading World War Z, since my friend lent me the novel, and Ender's Game is still unavailable from the library.

mu cephei

Now moving on to The Spirit Lens by Carol Berg

Have you read any of her other books? I've read the Transformation trilogy which I really liked (first book better than the others) and Song of the Beast which I also really liked. But the Collegia Magica series seems to have worse reviews overall than the ones I've already read, so I wasn't sure if I should bother. Please post what you think when you've read it!

Haha, I was seriously wondering the exact same thing. I'm 40% done with the first one and it has been absolutely great so far. I'm getting a very strong X-Files / Twin Peaks vibe, in all the right ways.

Both books in the Pines series on sale for $1.99.

I bought the first one but figured I'd wait on book 2 until I see if I like it. Given how long my reading list is, I'd bet book 2 is on sale again before I get around to finishing book 1.

I bought the first one but figured I'd wait on book 2 until I see if I like it. Given how long my reading list is, I'd bet book 2 is on sale again before I get around to finishing book 1.

One dollar and ninety-nine American cents! You know what you must do.

Maybe I'm a secret Amazon plant. Hmmm...

ShaneB

Hey gaf I need some advice.
I started reading bleeding edge by Thomas Pynchon and I really can't seem to get into it, now I'm not saying the book is not good or anything like that, but I'm finding it hard to keep up with the fast paced conversation in the book. I've never really read a book that has such fast paced conversation like this before.
I'm about 100 pages in and seem to have a general idea of what is going on and I can see that the story is interesting, but I feel like I'm missing so much as I find it hard to keep track of who is speaking and stuff like that.

So my question is. Is this book above my reading level? (I've read all the game of thrones books and a bunch of other stuff with full comprehension)
Has anyone else found this book to be the way I described?
Any tips for reading these kinda books?

Sorry if I come off sounding stupid or ignorant, but it bothers me that this book seems to just ramble on and I don't wanna write it off just yet if there is something I can do to maybe help me enjoy this book more than I am now.

Tldr; how do you keep track of who's speaking in books with quick transitions and multiple characters speaking at once.

I can't comment on that book, but in my opinion, if you're struggling with it, it's not worth it to try and figure out why. I'll freely admit there are plenty of books that get mentioned here that I know I'd have no interest in. The enjoyment of any book should come naturally, you can expand on why you like it after you finish, but if it's not grabbing you, it's best to just move on.

I guess the closest comparison I could make is when I tried to read 'The Dog Stars', and it had a similar issue of lack of quotations and following conversations just felt annoying, and the writing style was very odd. I didn't bother to rack my brain in trying to understand it, I just moved on.

edit: And yes, there have been times when I wondered if Amazon is reading this thread, because a few times some of the dailies just seemed perfectly tailored to what I want to read.

Necrovex

What is the overall opinion on World War Z? I have heard many things from people loving it to people vomiting on their computer.

What is the overall opinion on World War Z? I have heard many things from people loving it to people vomiting on their computer.

Count me in as vomiting on the computer. More like snoozing on the computer. I felt like I was reading the same story over and over again even though it's supposed to be different characters.

It's fine if you're not burnt out on the Zombie genre. I read it back when it first came out and thought it was amazing. But now, I probably couldn't stomach it. As far as Zombie stuff goes I think it's still the best, much better than stuff like The Walking Dead imo.

Thanks for the suggestions on this. Just finished it and it was GREAT.

All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka

What a ride! Loved how fast and action-packed this was. I usually hate mech stories, but this was fine. Here's what I don't really understand though (spoilers about the plot and twist):

Did Rita already do the loop thing in a past instance and is now out of her loop? That's how she learned how to break out of the loop, right? But how many different loops was she in since then?

The book is in Keiji's first initiation of the loop. So does the Rita in there have all the experience she had from her loops? That's why she never knows Keiji but is still badass?

While the looper is looping, what happens to everyone else? They're just forever in the loop but ignorant of it? Or do they move on somehow?

At the end, didn't both of them have to die in order to break the loop, since they're both antennas?

I'm excited to see where they go with the movie and I love Emily Blunt, but Tom Cruise? Blech. They could at least use someone Japanese.

From what I understood,
Rita originally looped the 200 times in the battle in America, but since then, she only loops 2 or 3 times before finding the server and cleaning up in all of her battles. She retains all of her experience, think of her as like a level 99 by the time she gets to Japan and meets up with Keiji who is a noob.

I think since the looper is really the only one experiencing the loop or dreaming as the book explained it, nothing happens to anyone else. The Mimics either win and just kill everyone, so no reason to reset the simulation, or Kieji or Rita win and there's no reset.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing that they both would have to die, but I guess it's like when Rita escaped her first loop even though she was an antenna, maybe if there's no other proxy for it to bounce off of? I dunno. Kinda just something you have to go with I guess lol.

Oh so the movie is called Edge of Tomorrow, guess that's why I hadn't heard of it. I don't mind Tom Cruise that much, since his sci-fi movies are usually pretty good. I thought Oblivion was great. But yeah looks like they are totally westernizing it. Love Emily Blunt too.

arkon

Have you read any of her other books? I've read the Transformation trilogy which I really liked (first book better than the others) and Song of the Beast which I also really liked. But the Collegia Magica series seems to have worse reviews overall than the ones I've already read, so I wasn't sure if I should bother. Please post what you think when you've read it!

I haven't actually. I've been looking to explore more Fantasy works from female authors and she was one of the most prominent ones that kept cropping up in recommendation threads. I just decided to go with her most recent series. Will post thoughts when I'm done.

Just finished this, at the recommendation of my mother/sisters:

Mistborn-cover.jpg

Pretty good! First book of Sanderson's I've read. I thought the magic system was very well done. Although I'll admit I never found the world itself to be particularly intriguing for the most part. The ending was pretty satisfying though.

All in all, nothing amazing, but I enjoyed my time with it.

Anyway, going to start on the second book now.

suzu

Just finished this, at the recommendation of my mother/sisters:

Pretty good! First book of Sanderson's I've read. I thought the magic system was very well done. Although I'll admit I never found the world itself to be particularly intriguing for the most part. The ending was pretty satisfying though.

All in all, nothing amazing, but I enjoyed my time with it.

Anyway, going to start on the second book now.

Sanderson is pretty good at making unique magic systems. You should check out his other books too (The Way of Kings, The Emperor's Soul, etc).

Top Bottom