• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? Top 5 favorites of the year edition (2013)

ibpChZNLVB42sV.jpg

So with the year coming to a close and inspired by a post from ShaneB in the December "What are you reading?" thread, I thought now would be a great time for everyone to list their top 5 favorite books they've read in 2013. This can also be a great tool for reading suggestions in the future as this thread will be archived in the OP of future "What are you reading?" threads.

Guidelines
1. This is books you've read in 2013 - not books published in 2013
2. If you've read an entire series you can count that as one book
3. It would be greatly appreciated if you could give a brief explanation why you liked the books or what the books are about. Or if you could link with the Goodreads.com 'share on website' link feature.

ShaneB

Reposting in this thread. I asked earlier in the month as well how everyones "favourites of the year" were shaping up, I expect to see lots of great books mentioned here!

So... my top five favourite books I've read this year are as follows. It pains me to leave off some books from here, but the top 4 were really set in stone. Everything about them resonated with me when I read them, and had a lasting effect. I admit I have a terrible memory, and when I look at all the books I've read this year, I can barely remember a good portion of them, but these always stuck out. These have characters that I remember, emotions I felt while reading, that feeling of having truly loving the story and connecting with the characters involved. These books do share a lot in common, heavily dealing with underdog stories, and overcoming self doubt and being truly brave to be yourself (I guess the Expanse series is exempt from these).

1. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend. This is a beautiful book, and something I'm sure everyone is sick of me recommending. I cried and cried and cried during this, and am proud to say that. This is a special book. “You have to be the bravest person in the world to go out every day, being yourself when no one likes who you are.”

2. 600 Hours of Edward (and the sequel Edward Adrift). This was a gem I found during a Kindle Daily deal, and was very glad I did. As I stated in my original review, I connected a lot to what Edward was going through, and I didn't hold back the tears. "Edward, I love you. I am proud of you."

3. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. It made me feel like this
smiley_face_sticker-rc26779d5e99d4f7e8f9359e8a97ee0f0_v9waf_8byvr_50.jpg
Not much else needs to be said about this, I loved it. "I was brave and I wrote a book and that means I can do anything."

4. Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse series). Book 2 and 3 also included here. Probably the odd books out in my list, but this was a great introduction to a new Sci-Fi world I have fallen in love with. I realized this clicked on a lot of levels for me, whereas most science fiction can feel very intimidating with so much world building. Great characters, and the smaller scope at first does make for a very accessible read and very engaging. Love the crew of the Rocinante and the characters introduced over each book. "“Violence is what people do when they run out of good ideas.”

5. A Prayer For Owen Meany. Picking number 5 on this was definitely the hardest, and while I was reading it, I was near sure it would not end up on here. After finishing it however, I realized it has exactly what it needs to be on here. Characters I will never forget. Owen Meany is unforgettable and for that alone it deserves this spot. “I want to go on being a student," I told him. "I want to be a teacher. I'm just a reader," I said.

"DON'T SOUND SO ASHAMED," he said. "READING IS A GIFT."

"I learned it from you," I told him.

"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE YOU LEARNED IT- IT'S A GIFT. IF YOU CARE ABOUT SOMETHING, YOU HAVE TO PROTECT IT. IF YOU'RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND A WAY OF LIFE YOU LOVE, YOU HAVE TO FIND THE COURAGE TO LIVE IT.”

fakefaker

Picking 5 is hard to do, so no particular order for these great books.

The Long Ships An amazingly good read that needs to be experienced and shared.

The Count of Monte Cristo A book so vast and personal, it sweeps you up and makes you sad when the last page goes by...

Swan Song A modern classic worth reading over and over for the beauty and the darkness.

The Godfather Simple but brutally effective, a book that is timeless in its appeal.

Major Karnage Fun over the top modern pulp will have you grinning while it's kickin' alien bum.

Honorable mentions go to: Levianthan Wakes, 1984, Ancillary Justice(which I haven't finished yet, but damn is it good once it gets going), Anno Dracula, Crime and Punishment.

My favorites in no particular order.
  • A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson - The end of the Wheel of Time of series was a long time coming and I loved that a story that I stayed with for so long finally got an ending. They wrap it up nicely with enough loose ends to leave a few things to your imagination. RIP Robert Jordan. May the bosoms be plentiful where ever you may be.
  • Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner - Was a different perspective into a subject I don't really care for. Kept my interest.
  • The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett - Started Discworld. Loved Discworld. Feels like Douglas Adams of the fantasy genre.
  • A Canticle for Leibowitz by Watler Miller Jr. - If you enjoy post-apocalyptic you should really pick this one up.
  • Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan - Was a expansion of his stand up but hey I like his stand up so no problem for me.
Worst book I read this year.
  • Under the Dome by Stephen King - I liked the premise and the setup in the beginning but then it just fell apart. Worst because of the wasted potential.

1) Glen Cook - The Black Company (1984)
2) James S.A. Corey - Leviathan Wakes (2011)
3) Ben Fountain - Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk (2012)
4) Naoki Higashida - The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism (2013)
5) Peter S. Beagle - The Last Unicorn (1968)

Honorable mentions:
Brandon Sanderson - The Way of Kings
R. J. Palacio - Wonder (2012)
James S.A. Corey - The other Expanse books
Robert Louis Stevenson - The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Krowley

The top five, In no particular order...

Child of God by Cormac McCarthy - Utterly chilling and is as much a horror novel as anything written by Stephen King or Peter Straub or anyone else you can think of. I love McCarthy's writing style, and this kind of story is a perfect match for him. There are moments in this book that make my skin crawl when I think back about them. A lot of what happens is not shown directly, but you imagine it, and you dwell on it. The book is quite short in terms of pages, but so much happens "off screen," that by the end you felt like you read a lot more than you actually did.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami - This was my first Murakami book and the overall craziness of it really blew my mind. The whole thing starts with a missing cat, and soon you have fortune tellers, alternate dimensions, world war 2, evil houses, infidelity, sorcery etc... Basically this was just a big pile of awesome. Totally unfocused, goes in a million directions at once, but somehow it works.

Earthsea book 2: The Tombs of the Atuan by Ursula K. Le Guin - A haunting story, very different from the first earthsea book (which I also loved BTW, but I think i read it last year). This one deals with a young girl being brought up as a kind of special priestess in a cult. She spends a lot of her time in these underground caverns where she isn't allowed to bring a light source, and the atmosphere of the book is just incredible. It's amazing how much Le Guin can do with such a short novel. Many writers deliver thousands of pages that pack less punch than single chapters of this novel.

Patternist book 1: Wild Seed by Octavia Butler - This is chronologically the first book in the Patternist series, but apparently the last one written. It's about two immortals living among regular people. Both of them have very different powers, and very different ideas about how they should treat their fellow human beings. It is a perfectly constructed novel. There is literally nothing wrong with it. Great characters, thought provoking, perfectly paced. Also, it works pretty well as a stand-alone novel if you're not interested in the rest of the series. I've read the second book. It's not quite as good, but it's certainly not bad either, and I have a feeling the whole series will be well worth reading in the end.

Kingkiller Chronicles book 2: The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss - Just finished reading this a short while ago, and despite a slow opening, It absolutely blew me away. The writing is wonderful, many of the characters are great, and even though it's a very, very long book, I finished it in just a few days. If you're a fan of epic fantasy, this is clearly one of the strongest books in the genre, and you absolutely owe it to yourself to read this series. The first book isn't quite as strong, but it's very good, and well worth finishing just for the chance to get to this one.

HONORABLE MENTION
(I think these are actually as good as the ones above, and if you asked me on a different day, I might have any one of them up there instead, but I had to shorten down to five, and something had to give, so arbitrary decisions were made, coins flipped and etc.)

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - I ended up reading this fairly slowly, but not because I didn't love it. It was just the sort of book that naturally lends itself to reading a little and then putting it aside for a while. I love the way all the different sub-plots are woven together. It gives the book a very unstructured, almost random, feeling. And then there are points of convergence where all the different pieces start to intersect, often through profound coincidences. Also, the book was quite funny in spots, and it can really tug at your heartstrings at other times. It's pretty easy to understand why this is considered a classic.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman - This took me forever to read. In fact, I think I started it last year, and didn't finish it till early this year. It was one of those books I had to wrestle with for a while, trying to decide whether I loved it or hated it, but in the end it fully won me over. If this book is any indication, I really like Gaiman's particular brand of fantasy.

First Blood by David Morrell - This is so much better, and darker, and more interesting than any of the Rambo movies. It just totally blew me away. It's action packed, but also deeply psychological and thought provoking, and the whole thing is strongly seasoned with a hefty dose of politics. All these elements are balanced perfectly in a way that makes for a deeply satisfying whole.

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway - The very fact that I finished this book, which had a fairly boring premise in many ways, is a testament to the incredibly high level of writing skill on display. I actually read through it pretty fast, too, and put other books with more bells and whistles aside to devote more time to it.

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill - This is really more of a contemporary fantasy novel than a horror novel. It's in the same sort of wheelhouse as something like American Gods, really, although it has more than its fair share of creepy and morbid elements. Joe Hill writes great characters, and I love his imagination. The premise of this book really hints that he's starting to build a lore that will tie all his books together in an interesting way, sort of like Stephen King has done with the Dark Tower books. It's a very flexible kind of lore that should allow him to do all sorts of interesting things, and I'm excited to see what he does in the future.

The Lyonesse series by Jack Vance - This was deeply complicated, difficult at times, very whimsical like children's literature one minute, and then shockingly adult with graphic discussion of sex and violence the next. I would recommend this very highly, but don't jump in lightly because it really is an oddball series and way more ambitious than you would ever believe at first glance. There are so many characters and sub-plots going on at any one time that you may wonder how all these disparate things will ever come together, but they do come together, and by the time you finish, you can see the unified purpose of everything, and it's very pleasing.

A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson - This is the one book that probably wouldn't be good enough to make the top 5, because there are some fairly serious flaws at the very end. But because it finished off one of my favorite book series of all time, and because it was so close to being absolutely perfect, I have to give it a few extra points. Most of the book is one, long, battle scene, and almost every word of it is absolutely riveting. There are dozens of great, heroic moments, and earth shattering revelations, and all of it was handled almost perfectly. I wasn't entirely happy with the way a couple of sub-plots fizzled out, but it didn't matter much in relation to how many other things the book got right.

Kevtones

The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa (probably my favorite book and one of the most intimate I've come across)

Sewer, Gas and Electric (The Public Works Trilogy) by Matt Ruff (many fucks are given out and they all say 'no fucks given')

Naomi by Junichiro Tanizaki (a re-read) (sexy and a window to eastern courtship that's prescient/or just really in touch with the male trajectory whilst infatuated)

Hunger by Knut Hamsun (it will take you places)

Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski (a re-read) (derp)

1) American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer Comprehensive and entertaining biography of J Robert Oppenheimer.

2) Blood Meridian - Violent, vivid, and prose like no other. Cormac McCarthy brings brutality and beauty to the harsh landscapes of the southwest.

3) .The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer History of the treatment of cancer and where we are now in terms of research and treatments.

4) Mendel in the Kitchen: A Scientist's View of Genetically Modified Food History and biotechnology methods of GMO foods

5) Zoobiquity: What Animals Can Teach Us About Health and the Science of Healing Presents animal case studies of what we think of as human diseases and explores the connections between the diseases of animals and humans.

Nymerio

Garrett P.I. These books have to be the funniest books I've read in ages. They're about a private investigator in a fantasy city. Really great characters and dialogs, don't let yourself be fooled by the awfully bad covers.

Gone Girl: Really enjoyed this, the twist actually surprised me. The ending could've been better but still one of the best books I've read this year.

Dresden Files: Very entertaining reads. They're a bit predictable in that Harry always seems to be just strong enough to overcome anything that gets in his way but they still manage to be fun to read.

Ship of Fools: Amazing book, I loved the creepy atmosphere on the unknown planet/ship. I need to find more books like this, where you you don't know what is going on and the suspense comes from the unknown.

The Thirteenth Tale: I liked how the book alternates between the two stories. After reading this I wanted to read more mystery/suspense novels but never got around to it. Will try again next year though.

1. Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison - I'm a huge post apocalypse fiction fan and this is one of my all time favorites in the genre. Not just a great story well told but I think this nails how the world (begins to) end. Not with nuclear war or a global pandemic but a world slowly choked to death with overpopulation, lack of resources, and an environment poisoned with pollution.

2. The LA Quartet by James Ellroy - A phenomenal series of books made famous by the movie LA Confidential. This series follows various hard boiled detectives from the Black Dahlia murder to the fall of Mickey Cohen. Anyone remotely interested in the L.A. noir genre must read these books.

3. Escape From Camp 14 by Blaine Harden - An incredible true story about one of the only known escapees of a North Korean political prison camp. This book details his birth and upbringing in the camp to his escape and his trouble adjusting to the real world. Fascinating.

4. The 600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster - Sad, funny, uplifting tale told from the perspective of Edward, an autistic man, as he tries to navigate the maze of society.

5. Empire Falls by Richard Russo - The story of a single man in a small, depressed upstate New York town trying to raise a daughter. I think this novel resonated with me so much because Empire Falls is very much like the town I live in and Miles Roby is a dead ringer for some people I know.

Honorable mentions: The Big Sleep, Farewell My Lovely, Altered Carbon

TCRS

Banned
Jesus christ. I was just checking my bookshelf and realised that I have only started reading three books this year and haven't finished a single one... been so busy. Given that my list is:

1. The Snowman by Jo Nesbo - Classic mystery novel. I haven't read one of those in ages which is why I am enjoying this one a lot.

2. Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith - stopped reading it somwhere in the middle because I got so busy. I was expecting something else but it wasn't so bad. Just have to finish it.

3. The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss - after enjoying The Name of the Wind so much I was expecting a similar book, but this is a proper slog. Probably won't finish it.

Barmaley

Neo Member
Ship of Fools: Amazing book, I loved the creepy atmosphere on the unknown planet/ship. I need to find more books like this, where you you don't know what is going on and the suspense comes from the unknown.

I meant to read that book for what's now a decade, never got around to that.....
At the moment I'm reading something that I suspect is in the similar vein - Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear. Quite enjoyable so far, but nothing to sing praises to.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
1. Edie: An American Biography by Jean Stein - A wonderful biography on Edie Sedgwick that really couldn't be any more comprehensive. It's told through interviews with people that knew her and has multiple people telling the same stories, so you really get some measure of the truth.

2. Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko - First book in the Watch series, pretty much the only urban fantasy I've ever really liked.

3. The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith AKA JK Rowling - I can't say how it stands compared to the rest of the genre, but I thought it was a return to form of the better Potter books for Rowling after the awful Casual Vacancy.

4. Brother to Dragons, Companion to Owls by Jane Lindskold - Crazy girl talks to a plastic dragon.

5. Carrie by Stephen King

Kuraudo

Banned
Only five? This is going to be tough...

In no particular order:

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard - in the week that I found out that this play existed, I was lucky enough to find it playing locally. Watched the film soon after, then read the text. Loved all three.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - this is really fun and uplifting despite the subject matter.

Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov - love the structure of this and the story it tells. Nabokov is phenomenal at creating an unreliable narrator which leaves the reader pondering just how unreliable he is.

The Burial at Thebes by Seamus Heaney - great reimagining of Antigone.

The Duchess of Malfi by John Webster - love Renaissance drama and had no idea Webster was so good at it. The character arcs are all good, but Bosla's is unbelievably fascinating and intricate.

Honourable mentions: Cloud Atlas, Don Quixote, The Name of the Wind (think this might be the only genre fiction I read this year - need to fix that next year), Othello, Candide, Beowulf (Heaney translation), the Instructions. Probably a lot more too - had a great year for reading.

Here are my books for 2013 http://bit.ly/1li4nOM

My favorite is probably Nothing to Envy which is an account of the mind blowing stories told by North Korean refugees now living in the south. It is an account that is both heartbreaking and depressing but also happy and funny at times. Second favorite is All the Pretty Horses which has the most idealistic beautiful account of the American west I've ever read.

Empty

pnin by vladimir nabokov

very heartfelt and sympathetic comic novel about a russian university professor living alone in america. structured as a series of character sketches, it starts off as a light, comic fare with the lead character pnin bumbling around missing trains and bringing the wrong speeches and focusing on his odd appearance, idiosyncrasies and mannerisms and fish out of water experience in america. yet it soon develops into something very sad and beautiful in its own understated way as you fall in love with the lead character and really feel for his loneliness cut off from the russia he absolutely adores and and isolated into this new culture.

the whole thing is tied together by nabokov's stunning prose and brilliant observations that make it a delight to read in its short length, as well as an interesting little twist at the end with the narrator that makes you look at the whole thing again. i thought it was pretty good when i first read it this summer but i haven't been able to get it out of my head since and think it's probably my favourite book.

a passage i like

Only in the detachment of an incurable complaint, in the sanity near death, could one cope with this for a moment. In order to exist rationally, Pnin had taught himself, during the last ten years, never to remember Mira Belochkin - not because, in itself, the evocation of a youthful love affair, banal and brief, threatened his peace of mind (alas, recollections of his marriage to Liza were imperious enough to crowd out any former romance), but because, if one were quite sincere with oneself, no conscience, and hence no consciousness, could be expected to subsist in a world where such things as Mira's death were possible. One had to forget - because one could not live with the thought that this graceful, fragile, tender young woman with those eyes, that smile, those gardens and snows in the background, had been brought in a cattle car to an extermination camp and killed by an injection of phenol to the heart, into the gentle heart one had heard beating under one's lips in the dusk of the past. And since the exact form of her death had not been recorded, Mira kept dying a great number of deaths in one's mind, and undergoing a great number of resurrections, only to die again and again, led away by a trained nurse, inoculated with filth, tetanus, bacilli, broken glass, gassed in a sham shower-bath with prussic acid, burned alive in a pit on a gasoline-soaked pile of beechwood

the quiet american by graham greene

a political thriller about 50s vietnam, i found this book very engaging and turned me into a graham greene fan. the first thing that strikes you is the amazing atmosphere, greene pools into his experience as a reporter in the region and uses spare prose to drop you into its world of opium smoking, cafes with grenade barriers and terrifying battlefields which is slightly different to the vietnam we're used to seeing from the 60s and 70s.

i'll let greene describe it with a passage from the book

“I can’t say what made me fall in love with Vietnam - that a woman’s voice can drug you; that everything is so intense. The colors, the taste, even the rain. Nothing like the filthy rain in London. They say whatever you’re looking for, you will find here. They say you come to Vietnam and you understand a lot in a few minutes, but the rest has got to be lived. The smell: that’s the first thing that hits you, promising everything in exchange for your soul. And the heat. Your shirt is straightaway a rag. You can hardly remember your name, or what you came to escape from. But at night, there’s a breeze. The river is beautiful. You could be forgiven for thinking there was no war; that the gunshots were fireworks; that only pleasure matters. A pipe of opium, or the touch of a girl who might tell you she loves you. And then, something happens, as you knew it would. And nothing can ever be the same again.”

the book follows three characters mainly, it's very political and uses these characters to embody attitudes of america, old colonial powers and the countries which they deal with, yet still brings the characters to life and tells a gripping, tightly written story. the way the cynical fowler bounces off the idealistic pyle is particularly entertaining to follow and the politics is as relevant today as when it was written.

this book is january's book club choice. hope people check it out.

nine stories by j.d salinger

nine really excellent short stories. salinger demonstrates his mastery of the form with how much he gets out of so little. their particular strength is the dialogue which is superb and allows him to make the characters so vivid. two favourites:

a perfect day for bananafish, about a ww2 veteran struggling with ptsd but based around two opposing conversations, demonstrating salinger's skill at using dialogue to reveal ideas. one between his wife and her mother showing the superficial, disconnected and banal conversations so many adults have and one between the veteran and a young girl at the beach which is fun and good natured and pure. the skill of the writing makes this dynamic not feel trite at all and it has a powerful, memorable ending.

de daumier-smith's blue period. about a narcissistic young artist who is forced to engage with his own issues as he critiques paintings for an art class. less dialogue driven than most, but very engaging in the way its written, psychologically interesting and shows salinger's range in this collection.

code of the woosters by p.g wodehouse

this is an incredible comic book. the set-up between the silly man-child wooster and the intelligent and reserved jeeves is classic, as is the plot with its twists, set of silly supporting characters and the way all the strands come together is perfectly formed, but the highlight is how the book sparkles with so many great lines as narrated by wooster. every page there's so many brilliant and hilarious descriptions. i think i read someone describe wodehouse as one of the great english prose stylists and it's hard to disagree.

the easter parade by richard yates

richard yates always breaks my heart with his books and this is particularly sad. following the lives of two sisters over fourty years from the 30s to 70s, one who settles down into a comfortable suburban life with a husband, the other who tries a more independent life in the city with lots of different lovers. neither is particularly happy but yates is the master of showing unhappiness without tedious melodrama and his very readable, simple yet beautifully flowing prose makes it so easy to get sucked into their lives. he is particularly good at capturing uncomfortable conversations between people with lots of baggage and the painful way they talk and how what isn't said it as loud as what is. despite the sadness i find it very beautiful at times too, the characters are so nakedly revealed you get so much humanity despite the melancholy.

I've only read about 10 books this year. I'm hoping I can wrap up the current one by year end but if not here are the five I most enjoyed this year.

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell

The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

Eon by Greg Bear

Day by Day Armageddon by JL Bourne

I'm hoping with my new Nexus 7 that I'll get more into reading in 2014.

Edit: finished Clancy's Without Remorse and would definitely put it in my top 5 for 2013.

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I like this new Adichie. Purple Hibiscus and Half A Yellow Sun might have brought her popular acclaim, but I've always felt them a bit earnest--the type of sedate fiction written for a Booker Prize jury in mind. Her short story collection revealed a sharp, engaging voice, and it's been fully unleashed in novel form here. Worth it for the critique on Naipaul alone.

Gomorrah by Roberto Saviano

One of the angriest books I've encountered, tackling the domestic abuses of an Italian-based transnational criminal syndicate. The author is still under police protection.

Caine's Law by Matthew Stover

Provocative fantasy steeped in temporal insanity, frenetic violence and brilliant philosophical moments. Stover should be a way, way bigger name in the genre. Not since Zelazny, guys, not since Zelazny...

The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander

An amazing document on a fascinatingly abhorrent criminal justice system.

Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino

Genius. What more can be said?

daydream

Banned
I can't pick five favourites, but here's a list of five books I read this year you probably don't know about unless you're versed in German literature (in which case you'll be at least familiar with the titles). They're all undeniably part of the German canon - Handke is maybe debatable - and part of world literature.

Heinrich von Kleist - Collected Stories (Gesammelte Erzählungen)

Alfred Kubin - The Other Side (Die andere Seite)

Alfred Döblin - Berlin Alexanderplatz

Joseph Roth - The Radetzky March (Radetzkymarsch)

Peter Handke - A Sorrow Beyond Dreams (Wunschloses Unglück)

Unfortunately, I can't say anything about the translations I've linked. Read the original if possible. Döblin is a bit tricky due to heavy use of Berlin dialect, but everything else is manageable. They're all very well worth your time.

341735.jpg

Replay by Ken Grimwood

Not just in my top 5 of the year, but my top of all time. Replay tells the tale of a man named Jeff Winston who dies when he is 43 years old and finds himself waking up again at 18.

“All life includes loss. It's taken me many, many years to learn to deal with that, and I don't expect I'll ever be fully resigned to it."

62022.jpg

The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis

Another contender for my favorites of all time, and easily my favorite about Chess. This is a great book that tells the story of Beth Harmon, a troubled little girl who finds escape in the game of Chess.

2118745.jpg

The Knife of Never letting Go by Patrick Ness (Chaos Walking Trilogy)
This includes books 2 and 3 as well.

Very dark, deep story about a boy named Todd on a colonial world where everyone can hear each others thoughts. Features one of my favorite characters ever. Loved the entire series, went through them back to back in less than a week.

“We are the choices we make.”

9579634.jpg

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence (Broken Empire Trilogy)

Dark and gritty fantasy tale that follows Jorg of Ancrath. Loved this series. Highly recommended.

“Tell me, tutor,' I said. 'Is revenge a science, or an art?”

5306171.jpg

The Rookie by Scott Sigler (Galactic Football League)
Also includes books 2, 3 and 4 with more to follow.

Any Given Sunday meets Mass Effect. Sounds kinda goofy but it works. These books are great fun, really love them.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I didn't complete a whole lot this year. I'm part way through a lot of non-fiction and some anthologies, but of what I finished...

1. Old Man's War by John Scalzi -- good fun space opera, just bought the sequels to read soon
2. Galactic North by Alastair Reynolds -- some satisfying hard sci-fi stories, most of them winners
3. Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds -- enjoyable but it ended with quite an anticlimactic sequence
4. Armored edited by John Joseph Adams -- a few real standout stories although the overarching theme was probably too specific, so it's hard to pack a book with a lot of variety in mech/armor stories even when some are more abstractly related
5. The Running Man by Stephen King -- oddly enough this is the first thing I've read from King; fine light read, summer blockbuster stuff

Necrovex

I did not read as much as I would like to this year. Here are my top five for novels I read this year:

1) Norwegian Woods ; Murakami is truly a craftsman when it comes to a unique writing style, interesting characters, and an enticing ass story. This was an extremely grounded love story, but one that took my attention and didn't free me at all. I read Kafka and Sputnik, but this blows them out of the water. Wind-up Bird will be a near-future read. A solid chance this man will become my favorite author.

2) A Tale of a Time Being ; An interesting novel blending the past and present together. Two characters, one being a middle-age woman set in the present reading a Japanese girl's diary set a few decades prior. It's a pretty addicting story during the diary parts, which composes the majority of the novel. Some weird stuff happens towards the end, but I am able to swallow quantum-mechanic hooks.

3) Rubicon ; This is cheating, but I am still in process of reading Rubicon. After listening to Hardcore History and reading Gaf's posts, I decided it was time to read a little non-fiction instead of staying with fiction. Due to my interest in the State Department once I finish my time with Peace Corps, I plan to read a bit more non-fiction during my time with the Corps, and Rubicon was an accessible point in reading a different culture's history. I am about hundred pages away from finishing, so I should be done by the New Year's.

4) The Samurai Banner of Furin Kazan ; I read this due to my interest in expanding my knowledge on Japanese culture (and to include said famous author into my JET personal statement). I wasn't in love with this work, but it was a fun ride to read about this genius tactician, Kansuke. He was almost a Mary Sue in this book, in regards to making these perfect battle plans (for 95% of the book). His inability to relate to most officers and people was always the more intriguing parts of the book. Though he was somehow a ladies man to the women who interested him, which was slightly unbelievable due to his personality and looks.

5) Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids: Oe is the only Nobel Prize winning author I read this year. This is consider one of his best books, and I didn't see the glory in it. Though I tore through this book in a week, partly due to its length (under two hundred pages) and my determination to add him onto my JET statement. The writing style was fairly accessible, and the characters did not seem that complex. However I truly appreciated the insightful look at WWII Japan and how it affected the citizens of the rural areas and the juvenile population.

Honourable Mention:

Lolita ; I would have included this book if I actually finished it. The writing style was way too complex for my mind, and I often found myself rereading a page several time before moving on. I only made it to the halfway point before calling it quits.

I am part of the 50 books/films challenge for 2014, so I hope to have a more fleshed out list next year!

Blitzzz

The candidates: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/7524597-allen?page=1&read_at=2013&view=covers

1. Stories of Your Life and Others (plus his other works) - Ted Chiang: Amazing collection of short stories. Speculative sci-fi with heavy emphasis on human emotions.

2. Wool Omnibus - Hugh Howey: Fantastic post-apocalyptic story and setting. No zombies! Very disappointing that Shift was so lackluster.

3. Tales of the Ketty Jay series - Chris Wooding: Favourite overall series of the year. Became my go to set whenever I was looking for something fun and entertaining after a dull/more serious book.

4. Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie: Best space opera novel of the year for me. Fresh concept.

5. Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson: Introduced me to Brandon Sanderson. Was like playing an rpg but better in every way.

watershed

Banned
1. Team of Rivals: a great Lincoln biography that also covers just about everything during the Civil War.
2. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: One of the few truly good John LeCarre books in my opinion. I'm actually re-reading it, I enjoyed it so much.
3. Solo: the newest James Bond novel. Not bad at all but I didn't dig the ending.
4. The Best Short Stories of Phillip K. Dick for some reason I enjoy his short stories more than his full length stuff. He is incredibly brisk and great at world building in short works.
5. Zealot: an okay account of the historical Jesus but not nearly as in-depth as I was expecting. I was disappointed but it was still a good read.

Mifune

Mehmber
1. Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon: Mind-blowing in its density and wealth of historical/scientific/religious references. But also very funny and even sweet at times. Will take about five rereads to understand about half of it, but not totally getting it kinda seems appropriate when you're reading a book that is largely about the impossibility of ever truly understanding anything.

2. Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth - Chris Ware: Truly a masterpiece of the comic book form. It's about loneliness and family and is pretty much the most beautiful, heartbreaking thing I've read in years.

3. Tenth of December - George Saunders: Crisp, inventive, darkly humorous, always heartfelt short stories. Saunders makes it look so easy but what he does here is definitely not that.

4. Chasing the Sea - Tom Bissell: Best known around these parts for his games writing, Bissell is immensely talented. This is his rollicking travelogue of Uzbekistan, full of endlessly fascinating tangents on the country's art, religion, and history. What makes it great, though, is his voice: wry, intelligent, painfully honest.

5. Follow Her Home - Steph Cha: A contemporary murder-mystery set in Koreatown, Los Angeles. this book features a really great noir heroine in the mould of Marlowe.

No particular order:
-On Writing by Stephen King. Don't know how I've never read this before. Part writing instruction, part biography, great read. King digs into his philosophy of writing and of life, his tricks and his techniques, but also into what made him not just the writer but the person he is, how he got there, the bumps and missteps along the way. He lays it all out here, and it's brilliant.
Interesting. I didn't know it had biographical content in there as well. I thought it would be more like a textbook for an English class. I might have to check this out. I've learned from Masters of Sci-Fi on the Science Channel that I love finding out where authors of works I've read get their ideas and what shaped those ideas.

Necrovex

-Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. My God this man can write. This book is beautifully, lyrically written, and yet painful to read. You know, going along, that the main character is despicable and crazy and can't be trusted, but the writing is so strong that you can't help starting to care about him despite yourself.

This is one thing I have to give to Nabokov. He did the impossible and made me actually like an insane pedophile. I cannot state any other form of literature or anything else that achieved in this goal. I really should pick up Lolita again and try to complete it.

SleazyC

Stats here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/stats/18827146-cesar

I read a lot of fantasy this year. More so than I ever think I have so my list of top books is going to be pretty much all fantasy...

Prince of Thorns: Dark and brutal book. The main character does so many questionable things but is such a charming and vicious asshole that you really can't help but root for him.

Steelheart: I've always been dubious of young adult novels as the bar has been set very low by some authors but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when I really enjoyed this book since Brandon Sanderson is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. I thought the premise and backstory for this book were ingenious if not a little trope-y in some areas. Has a lot of room for growth and looking forward to future entries into the series.

His Majesty's Dragon: Take the Napoleonic wars, insert dragons. Sounds pretty ridiculous but the characters are endearing and the relationship between the main character and his dragon was really well done.

The Bonehunters: I devoured this series in a span of about 4 months and I felt like this book was the best of them all. My thoughts here will be more of a summary of the series as opposed to this single book, what a rush. At times it was difficulty to keep track of all the characters and plot lines (this felt like George RR Martin on steroids) but I loved every bit of it. I was kept guessing at several turns and thought the conclusion was a great one considering how much time was invested in the series.

The Way of Kings: I love Brandon Sanderson. This book is pretty much my favorite read of the year. It has a novel background and world and all the main characters were very interesting and likable. Especially enjoyed the writing of the battle scenes.

This year coming up I definitely want to add some variety to the genres of the books I read.

A STORM OF SWORDS

I don't think I've ever read a book of that size that was so relentless. So much happens even though it's near 1000 pages the lulls are few and very far between. I've been reading just ahead of the HBO show but may have to cheat ahead and grab the next book this year.

JOHN DIES AT THE END

Strange. Hilarious. Unpredictable. The plot is everything you wish/fear is happening in the shadows of your small Midwestern hometown. Seems brilliant and "any idiot could have wrote this" at the same time. More stories need to be this brave.

GONE GIRL

What first seems like a gimmick ends up being one of the more refreshing story devices I've read in a while; alternating chapters between current events from one POV and diary entries from another. The second half of the book can't quite keep up with the first half but it had my attention until the end.

A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY

A great Americana novel. I'm so happy GAF rode a shred of Zeitgeist when it came to this book. We probably had someone reading it every month. Inspiring and heart breaking at the same time AND THE BEST CHRISTMAS PAGEANT EVER.

THE SISTERS BROTHERS

The best compliment I can give to this book is that it was as easy to read as an Elmore Leonard novel. It's fast, funny, highly conversational yet it turns into a really good character study.

Other books I enjoyed this year include Horns, Rosemary's Baby, Welcome To The Monkey House and Cat's Cradle. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions GAF. It honestly plays a huge part in what I end up giving a read.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - This book has ended up really sticking with me in the months after I finished it. It really put me off at first; it seemed like the sort of trite, sentimental story that moms buy because it has an Oprah's Book Club sticker on it. But it's not that at all, in fact Green has stated that the book is partially a response to books that "spread the lie that the only reason sick people exist is so that healthy people can learn lessons." Its central love story is smart and meaningful, its dialogue is excellent, and it builds to moments of heartbreaking beauty. It's the kind of story that you can recommend to anyone, of all ages or tastes.

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut - Over the years I've read so many quotes and passages from this book that by the time I read it, I feared I had already experienced the best this book had to offer. But I still found it to be a brilliant work of satire, and perhaps one of the strongest anti-war statements I've seen.

The Pale King by David Foster Wallace - Taken as a whole, this book doesn't end up amounting to much. As its afterword reveals, what we got to read with The Pale King was just a tiny hint at the work that Wallace had planned. But there are individual chapters here that I think are some of the best prose he has ever written, and they work wonderfully even as encapsulated short stories.

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz - I mostly enjoyed this one for the language. The mixture of Dominican slang and pop culture references was really entertaining to read. I also liked it as a history lesson on the Dominican Republic.

The Fifty Year Sword by Mark Z. Danielewski - If you're a fan of MZD's whole schtick like me, then you already know what to expect. But if you're a newcomer, this would be a good place to start. It's short enough to read in one or two sittings and contains some really cool imagery and fun linguistic experimentation. And like everything else he's made, it looks stunning.

I wish I had gotten to read more this year. I'm hoping to do a lot more in 2014. Want to get more into Gaiman, Murakami, Pynchon, and Vonnegut specifically.

Mumei

This is mostly me rambling about some of my favorite books this year. I'll probably contradict myself / repeat myself and look dumb, but whatever. Fanboy time~

I had too many favorite books this year to say something about all of them; my decisions about what to write about aren't so much a commentary on which books I liked more and more about how bad my writer's block was when I tried to articulate what I thought of the book. I mean, I know what I liked about them, but it's easier to think of how to explain it to another person with some books.

Or in the case of books about gender and sexuality, I feel like I already ramble enough about their contents that there's really little point in doing it again here.

Anyway, these are some that I loved:

Comics:
  • Lucifer, by Mike Carey
  • The Unwritten, by Mike Carey
  • Planetary, by Warren Ellis
  • Hawkeye (Marvel NOW!), by Matt Fraction
  • Gotham Central, by Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker
  • Daredevil, by Mark Waid
Fiction:
  • Invisible Cities, by Italo Calvino
  • But Beautiful: A Book About Jazz, by Geoff Dyer
  • Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert
  • The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison
  • Metamorphoses, by Ovid
  • Hyperion, by Dan Simmons
Non-Fiction:
  • A History of Opera, by by Carolyn Abbate and Roger Parker
  • What's Wrong With Homosexuality, by John Corvino
  • Mortal Sins: Sex, Crime, and the Era of Catholic Scandal, by Michael D'Antonio
  • Raising My Rainbow: Adventures in Raising a Fabulous, Gender Creative Son, by Lori Duron
  • Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference, by Cordelia Fine
  • The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs Are Smarter than You Think, by by Brian Hare, Vanessa Woods
  • Postwar: A Europe of Europe Since 1945, by Tony Judt
  • The Reformation: A History, by Diarmaid MacCulloch
  • Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen, by Christopher McDougall
  • Rape is Rape: How Denial, Distortion, and Victim Blaming are Fueling a Hidden Acquaintance Rape Crisis, by Jody Raphael
  • What's Wrong with Fat?, by Abigail C. Saguy
  • Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin, by Timothy Snyder
  • "Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?": A Psychologist Explains the Development of Racial Identity, by Beverly Daniel Tatum

And stuff I wanted to babble about:

Comics

Saga of the Swamp Thing, by Alan Moore

18897662.jpg

I learned about Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing when I was reading something related to Sandman. It may have been an interview with Gaiman, or possibly another writer mentioned it in the introduction to the Absolute Editions. Or maybe both, I don't really think that's too important. But I read that it was an influence on the industry in general, by bringing a more literary approach to comics writing, and an influence on Sandman in particular. All of this meant that from the beginning I was thinking about it in relation to Sandman.

I don't think it quite reaches those heights, at least so far, but I have been really impressed with what I've read and I definitely see the influence, particularly in the first seven issues of Sandman, where its horror-fantasy roots are clearest. Swamp Thing holds back less, and maintains the horror vibe over a much longer period, though. I also really loved the way Moore retconned the character. It makes Swamp Thing considerably more interesting. One thing I didn't really like is that some of the issues had too much of a "monster of the week" vibe. There's a period where each issue Swamp Thing runs into some sort of supernatural trouble - underwater vampires, various haunted locations, etc. - that are resolved within that issue. He is at those locations because of Constantine, and what is happening in those chapters is due to larger plot events, but it still came across as a bit forced to me. Or like I could see the strings. I still love the writing, though, and the art couldn't be more perfect for the series' tone.

Oh, and one thing that particularly amused me was Swamp Thing's ever-expanding repertoire of powers and abilities, no matter how tangentially-connected they seemed to be to his status as a plant elemental. I could almost see Moore in my mind surveying the history of comic book retcons and power creep and saying, "No, no. This is how you do power creep." Probably completely off-base, but I find the idea amusing.

Saga, by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

15704307.jpg

Saga is a science-fiction/fantasy hybrid space opera. I suppose I'd argue that it's more fantasy, where the technology is basically just 'technomagic.' In practice, the blend between the space-age setting (spaceships, robots, intergalactic hijinks) and fantasy elements (supernatural creatures, illusions, ghosts, magic spells) - and things that combine elements (ROCKET TREE) - is really charming and makes elements that individually might seem derivative into something very fresh. This is also true for the plot elements - boy and girl from different warring groups fall in love and elope, boy and girl are chased by authorities, have a kid, etc. It's the details and the way things are mixed and matched that it is interesting.

It doesn't hurt that the cast of characters is colorful and fun, even the antagonists. And a special mention has to be made to Fiona Staples' gorgeous art, without which this comic wouldn't be even half as good as it is. I was also pleasantly surprised by Vaughan in this comic. In my previous experience with him, he has had plot elements that I've found irritating, and I haven't really liked his female characters. Even in Runaways, which I did like, he still had issues that nagged at me. But he's been on point in this, with likable characters, an imaginative setting, and absolutely fantastic pacing.

And an adorable bipedal seal and his walrus, who deserves all the squee.

Fiction

Shriek: An Afterword, by Jeff VanderMeer

230855.jpg

{When I found this manuscript, I contemplated destroying the entire thing, but, in the end, I didn't have the will or the heart to do so. And I found I really didn't want to. It is flawed and partisan and often crude, but it is, ultimately, honest. I hope Janice will forgive or forget my own efforts to correct the record.--Duncan}

Shriek is the second book in Jeff VanderMeer's series of books set in the fictional series of Ambergris. His previous book, City of Saints and Madmen, was an interesting collection of novellas, family histories, a glossary, psychiatric records from a hospital, a footnoted history of the city, a work of pseudo-biology, and more. What the stories all have in common is Ambergris, a city where mysterious humanoid mushrooms - the gray caps - live amongst the ordinary people. The stories have a decidedly 'weird' twist - I was reminded quite strongly of Lovecraft in the sense of unspoken danger, of intelligences so different from humans as to be incomprehensible, and by the use of insanity in a number of plots. This sense of mystery and danger is heightened by the city's past. The city existed before humans settled it, but two particular events - one where the entire city's inhabitants, aside from those who were not there at the time, disappeared without a trace. Very Roanoke, come to think of it. This disappearance is believed to be the responsibility of the gray caps, though the humans have no way of confirming this. The other event is the time when the man who first settled Ambergris, Manzikert, followed the gray caps underground. He returned days later, raving.

It's a wonderfully creepy and atmospheric setting, so I was really looking forward to Shriek. Shriek is just one novel, narrated by Janice Shriek. Janice Shriek is sister to Duncan Shriek, a famous historian who has recently disappeared under mysterious circumstances. The reader, however, is made aware that whatever has happened to Duncan he is not dead: In addition to Janice's standard narration, Duncan's notes, suggestions, snide comments, and droll translations of Janice's occasionally self-congratulatory comments are listed parenthen. While ostensibly an Afterword to Duncan's The Hoegbotton Guide to the Early History of Ambergris, in actual fact what Janice produces is a decades long retrospective on her and her brothers' life.

It's every bit as funny, as unsettling, and as interesting as City of Saints and Madmen was, covering personal successes, failures, transformations, excursions into the graycaps' underground domain and glimpses of a mysterious machine, suicide attempts, and wars (yes) between major publishing houses. You have to read City of Madmen and Saints first for a proper introduction to Ambergris, but hurry and read Shriek: An Afterword when you finish.

Dubliners, by James Joyce

41VHTuNuD3L.jpg

His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

Dubliners is a collection of a short stories of ordinary Irish life in the early twentieth century. The stories often deal with difficult issues - abuse, suicide, blackmail, abandonment, sexual exploitation, various regrets about personal decisions, deaths, and more - in a very naturalistic, unassuming way. It seems odd to say, but they are almost remarkable in their ordinariness, powerful and moving as they are. I've read that they were scandalous when they were written - the relentless focus on airing dirty laundry was controversial. I didn't experience the book this way; I'm living more than a century after story collections like this were pushing the boundaries of the sort of themes were appropriate in a book, especially one in which actual streets and buildings of a particular city were used. But it was interesting to try to imagine what it must have been like to read these stories when they were truly new.

I also thought that the stories had this odd structure, where we see a snapshot in time, a brief vignette, and then it ends. The stories seem centered around the characters' personal development, or realizations rather than an emphasis on plot. And I think it's a great choice for short stories to focus on character over plot, and it works wonderfully here.

And the prose deserves special mention - it might be the most beautiful prose I read this year, and in a year when I reread Lolita and Davis' translation of Madame Bovary, that's a feat.

The Story of the Stone, by Cao Xueqin

139874.jpg

Truth becomes fiction when the fiction's true;
Real becomes not-real when the unreal's real.

The greatest Chinese work of prose literature, and therefore one of the greatest works of world literature, The Story of the Stone may be the best novel I read all year. Piecake originally suggested this to me, and after struggling through Three Kingdoms and The Real Story of Ah-Q and Other Tales of China: The Complete Fiction of Lu Xun as an introduction to Chinese literature, I started reading a bit more about it. From what I found, the novel was described as a work that had the critical cachet of Ulysses and the popularity of Gone with the Wind; a work that was comparable to Austen in its intimate portrayals of domestic life and inner psychology, Balzac in its scope, and Proust in its portrayal of the human condition, all combined with a lilting, philosophical mood. Given these sorts of endorsements, I was quite excited when I found the first two volumes while I was in Chicago, and within a little under two months I had purchased the other volumes and finished reading it.

Needless to say, I think it lives up to the hype.

The novel begins with a frame story, with the goddess Nu-Wa repairing the sky. When she finishes, a stone is still left and remains unused. This stone is, having been touched by Nu-Wa, magical and sentient. After being given an opportunity to be reincarnated in the world of illusion by a Taoist and a Buddhist monk who discover the stone, the stone falls in love with a flower while waiting by the Rock of Rebirth. When we come to the story proper, the stone has been reincarnated into the world as a human boy, Jia Bao-yu, who is born with a piece of jade in his mouth, a symbol of his prior existence. The flower is born into the person of Lin Dai-yu. This forms the philosophical background of the novel - the conflicts between Confucian imperatives of various relational duties and Buddhist and Taoist beliefs that enlightenment requires the realization that earthly existence is an illusion, and how karma 'determines the shape of our lives.'

In the midst of these themes of detachment and enlightenment, the book is set in the world of nineteenth-century China at its apotheosis, before a series of disasters - the First Opium War, the Taiping Rebellion, the Boxer Rebellion, and decades of war with Japan - would bring an end to this era of Chinese history. We are given this view through the Jia family's day-to-day lives within their estate, the Rongguo House and Ningguo House. These are minor aristocratic households, having attained their positions due to the accomplishments of their ancestors. It is stunning in the totality of its vision - in its portrayal of Chinese culture in general, from opera to poetry to literature to education to social customs to traditional medicine to meals, and of the day-to-day life of an aristocratic household, from the least servants to the matriarch of the clan. There is seemingly no detail too small, no ritual of social interaction, no games, that weren't worth examining in detail, and it forms a fascinating window into a world now lost. Particular focus is given to poetry, and while it is perhaps too much to expect that an English translation of Chinese poetry could truly capture all of the nuances, I quite liked it. In fact, the picture it paints is so detailed that I've read since that much of the Chinese commentary has focused on its virtues as a historical document and has sought to tie characters in the novel to biographical information about the author, perhaps even at the expense of treating it as a masterfully produced work of fiction.

And the novel is not just an achievement as the Chinese equivalent of Zola-esque naturalism, either; it also has a rich tapestry of characters, the vast majority of whom are women. While not the least feminist in its setting, Xueqin's treatment of his vast cast of female characters as fully human and complex is at the very least proto-feminist. It's quite probably the best cast of female characters in a work of world literature I've read. The combination of its hyper-detailed setting and the complex and sympathetic portrayals of its female characters forms an incisive, if implicit, social commentary about gender, as well. There is also social criticism along the lines of class (or caste); the servant class is given particularly nuanced portrayals, and it is fascinating to see Xueqin juxtapose those sympathetic portrayals with the often arbitrary and unjust treatment of those characters.

And the richness of the setting and the psychological complexity of the characters also work with the frame story by making the readers' experience mirror that of the stone's. Just as the stone moves from its existence as a magical sentient stone in the Land of Immortality to the life of a boy living in the red dream of reality, caught up in the vagaries of day to day life, the reader also takes that same journey into total attachment to the lives of many people in the Jia clan.

But I don't want to give the impression that the novel is this sort of detached, unemotional examination of Chinese aristocratic domesticity with a bit of social commentary, philosophic background, themes of knowledge, reality, dreams, desires, and more, and interesting commentary on Chinese theories of fictive ontology that I've only recently started reading and can't really articulate yet! It is certainly those things, and others besides (roman à clef!) but it is also an engaging masterpiece of fiction, with a story that grabs you almost immediately. The Hawkes translation is excellent, and it has this light, almost floating quality as Xueqin moves from character to character. We might have a section about the intrigues of servants trying to get rid of a cook, to Wang Xi-feng trying to organize the wedding, to Prospect Garden where Dai-yu, Bao-yu, and Bao-chai are organizing a poetry club. The novel has dozens of fairly important characters, and probably well over a four hundred all told. Fortunately you are provided with a list of characters and a family chart in the back of the book - and you'll need it! But despite its size and scope, it reads like a book far shorter than it actually is because of how it is paced.

Absolutely wonderful, and a must read.

The Silmarillion, by J.R.R. Tolkien

7332.jpg

“There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Ilúvatar; and he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his thought, and they were with him before aught else was made.”

I was not much of a fan of Lord of the Rings, to be honest. I read it in high school, after seeing the movies, and I really wanted to like it. I wanted to like the book that had inspired much of "fantasy" as I knew. I expected to like it! But I hardly recognized the movies in the book. Where their pacing was fairly quick, with liberal amounts of suspense and action with just enough gravitas to take it seriously, the books seemed almost leaden in their pacing, with nigh incomprehensible prose, characters that bled into one another, and traveling scenes that made my eyes glaze. I was no stranger to books where little else happens besides travel, having survived the travel books in Auel's Earth Children's series. But at least in those, I still liked Ayla. With LotR, I didn't have anyone I particularly liked, and after having read sections where battles like Helm's Deep or Pelennor Field happened, they almost seemed beside the point in the book.

I continued to hold them in some sort of esteem thinking perhaps I just didn't *get them*, but I was not about to read them again. But then I started reading a few topics on GAF, and the setting, characters, and events described were almost unrecognizable. Gandalf was some sort of angelic spirit or higher being? Sauron, Saruman, and the Balrog were similar creatures? There were other Balrogs? There were once Elves who were capable of fighting a Balrog? Multiple Balrogs? Sauron was just a lieutenant of a greater evil? Sauron himself surrendered to an army of humans? Where was Edmond Dantés getting this information from those books, and why was he named after a character in The Count of Monte Cristo if he was this much of a Tolkien fanboy?

I reread The Hobbit, then The Lord of the Rings not long after, and it was a completely different experience. I recognized a lot of the references in the poems simply because a lot of the posts I'd been reading had talked about things that are mentioned - I actually read the poems! And I think because I'm... shit.... ten years older and far better read now than I was then that material that I found difficult or unengaging then started to have its own sort of charm.

The Silmarillion has a reputation for being a more difficult read than either The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, so I worried, perhaps unnecessarily, that I would be put off by it. Fortunately I quite liked it. I actually found it to be a lot more engaging than LotR, because of how quickly the plot moves. There's a brief section towards the beginning where the prose seems more archaic, during the section that covers the creation of the universe and Arda and an explanation of various heavenly powers, but that's a rather brief section that isn't too difficult to get through.

And the stories more than make up for whatever minor issues one might have with the prose (or keeping track of the heaps names that are tossed out on each page). I'd say there are three major stories in The Silmarillion. There is the story of a) Melkor's rebellion and ultimate fall in the War of Wrath, which closes out the First Age, b) the story of the fall of Númenor, c) a brief history of events at the end of the Second Age and the Third Age that recount how we come to the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

The first story arc is my favorite. Melkor is an interesting figure; he's quite evidently influenced by Milton's portrayal of Lucifer in Paradise Lost, though Melkor suffers by the comparison. Lucifer is magnificent and charming, and there's something almost romantic about the portrayal of his rebellion, especially when you realize its ultimate futility. Unfortunately Melkor comes across as a bit flat by comparison, but he was never really the main appeal of this part of the story. It's far more interesting to read about the history of the Elves - the creation of the Silmarils, their theft by Melkor (or Morgoth), the corruption of the Trees of Valinor, the Oath of Fëanor, the voyages of Eärendil, the final battle at the end of the first age in the War of Wrath; the stories of Beren and Lúthien or Nienor and Túrin.

The work as a whole is supposed to be incomplete, but I think this actually works to its benefit. I read it as if it wasn't a modern creation, but rather a set of myths that was passed down over the years, in a fragmentary form. The stories also read more like myths simply because of how fantastical they are. In The Lord of the Rings, the depictions of magic and feats of derring-do are fairly limited or described in appendices. We can read about Galadriel throwing down the walls of Dol Goldur, or of Gandal's victory over the Balrog, but we don't see it happen. But in The Silmarillion, there are stories of Elves fighting multiple Balrogs, stories of flying ships hallowed by the Valar carrying a Silmaril with a flock of gigantic eagles going into battle against a dragon large enough to blot out the sun, stories of jewels (the Silmarils) that even the Valar are incapable of replicating, and so forth. I think this theme of decline is apparent even in The Lord of the Rings, as we read about the previous siege against Sauron, but The Silmarillion's is where we see what heights of glory the elves fell from since the First Age, and what men fell from after the destruction of Númenor.

(cont.)

Mumei

(cont.)

Of course, these things bring me to one of the most appealing aspects of The Silmarillion, which is one of the appealing things about any old myth: What awesome and totally badass thing is going to happen next? It reminded me of reading Beowulf in high school, where there were men who were doing things like fighting sea monsters and ripping off arms of monsters and beating them with it and diving to the bottom of the sea and fighting creatures and using magical swords and heroic sacrifices against dragons! What's not to love? Nothing, that's what, and The Silmarillion delivers this in spades.

Non-Fiction:

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus, by Charles C. Mann

39020.jpg

"Having grown separately for millennia, the Americas were a boundless sea of novel ideas, dreams, stories, philosophies, religions, moralities, discoveries, and all the other products of the mind. Few things are more sublime or characteristically human than the cross-fertilization of cultures. The simple discovery by Europe of the existence of the Americas caused an intellectual ferment. How much grander would have been the tumult if Indian societies had survived in full splendor!"

I hadn't actually expected to be too surprised by what I learned in this. I haven't read many (read: any) books about pre-Columbian American culture, but I had picked up on a lot of things - I had read that there were cities that were larger than the biggest European countries at the time in Mesoamerica and South America; I had read that contra American stereotypes, they did have understandings of property; I had read that modern population estimates of pre-Columbian Americas placed the number of people in the hemisphere at upwards of fifty million. I knew that there were things I didn't, obviously, but I wasn't expecting that they'd be revelatory. I was quite wrong.

It wasn't the information about the scope of Mesoamerican and South American civilization, finding out how much we knew about pre-Columbian history, learning that some researchers believe that much of the Amazon's 'pristine' state was actually the result of human development, or that the prairies of tens of millions of bison in the American West were actually the result of the vacuum created by the collapse of native societies in the wake of disease rather than representing some sort of 'pristine' state of nature. It wasn't the way it painted the Indians not as people simply suffering along with the vagaries of disease and fate, but actively attempting to shape their destiny, or one that presented them as not being inferior to Europeans so much as 'different' when it came to their cultural and technological achievements. These things were all fascinating, and many of these things were things I either didn't know, or didn't know very well.

But there was one section that discussed Mexica (Aztec) philosophy, Nahuatl (their language) rhetoric, and how they thought about issues of mortality, Truth, and finding meaning in one's existence. I don't really feel I can do justice to it, so I'll quote at length:

"But the tlamatinime shared the religon's sense of the evanescence of existence. “Truly do we live on Earth?” asked a poem or song attributed to Nezhualcoyotl (1402 -72), a founding figure in Mesoamerican thought and the tlatoani of Texcoco, one of the other two members of the Triple Alliance. His lyric, among the most famous in the Nahuatl canon, answers its own question:

Not forever on earth; only a little while here.
Be it jade, it shatters.
Be it gold, it breaks.
Be it a quetzal feather, it tears apart.
Not forever on earth; only a little while here.​

In another verse assigned to Nezahualcoytol this theme emerges even more baldly:

Like a painting, we will be erased.
Like a flower, we will dry up here on earth.
Like plumed vestments of the precious bird,
That precious bird with the agile neck,
We will come to an end.​

Contemplating mortality, thinkers in many cultures have drawn solace from the prospect of life after death. This consolation was denied to the Mexica, who were agonizingly uncertain about what happened to the soul. “Do flowers go to the region of the dead?” Nezahualcoyotl asked. “In the Beyond, are we still dead or do we live?” Many if not most tlamatinime saw existence as Nabokov feared: “a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness.”

In Nahuatl rhetoric, things were frequently represented by the unusual device of naming two of their elements – a kind of doubled Homeric epithet. Instead of directly mentioning his body, a poet might refer to “my hand, my foot” (noma nocxi), which the savvy listener would know was a synecdoche, in the same way readers of English know that writers who mention “the crown” are actually talking about the whole monarch, and not just the headgear. Similarly, the poet’s speech would be “his word, his breath” (itlatol ihiyo). A double-barreled term for “truth” is neltilitztli tzintliztli, which means something like “fundamental truth, true basic principle.” In Nahuatl, the words almost shimmer with connotation: what was true was well grounded, stable and immutable, enduring above all.

Because we human beings are transitory, our lives as ephemeral as dreams, the tlamatinime suggested that immutable truth is by its nature beyond human experience. On the ever-changing earth, wrote Leon-Portilla, the Mexican history, “nothing is ‘true’ in the Nahuatl sense of the word.” Time and again, the tlamatinime wrestled with this dilemma. How can beings of the moment grasp the perduring? It would be like asking a stone to understand mortality.

According to Leon-Portilla, one exit from this philopshical blind alley was seen in the fifteenth-century poet Ayocuan Cuetzpaltzin, who described it metaphorically, as poets will, by invoking the coyolli bird, known for its bell-like song:

He goes his way singing, offering flowers.
And this words rain down
Like jade and quetzal plumes.
Is this what pleases the Giver of Life?
Is that the only truth on earth?​

Ayocuan’s remarks cannot be fully understood out of the Nahuatl context, Leon-Portilla argued. “Flowers and song” was a standard double epithet for poetry, the highest art; “jade and quetzal” was a synecdoche for great value, in the way Europeans might refer to “gold and silver.” The song of the bird, spontaneously produced, stands for aesthetic inspiration. Ayocuan was suggesting, Leon-Portilla said, that there is a time when humankind can touch the enduring truths that underlie our fleeting lives. That time is at the moment of artistic creation. “From whence come the flowers [the artistic creations] that enrapture man?” asks the poet. “The songs that intoxicate, the lovely songs?” And he answers: “Only from his [that is, Ometeol’s] home do they come, from the innermost part of heaven.” Through art alone, the Mexica said, can human beings approach the real.​

When I read other things, I was impressed by their accomplishments, particularly in the realm of developing their environments in sustainable ways, with their achievements in agriculture being particularly impressive. But it's weird. I've never really felt this sense of familiarity when learning about Indians. I think it's the presentation of their cultures as being somehow static and unchanging, of being stuck in this sort of idyllic stasis. I like this book because it forced me to confront some narrow-mindedness I wasn't aware I had been holding. Learning that this people, from more than half a millennium and a culture almost entirely removed from my own was talking about finding ultimate meaning in ways that weren't just recognizable but resonated with me created this profound sense of emotional connection and loss, that never really felt as "real" before. I was discussing this with Kabbles, and he pointed out that it was because I did subscribe to the degree of pre-Columbian America as a land of primitives who were at a far earlier stage of civilization. And this is basically what learning these things, and this passage in particular, forced me to confront.

Bel Canto: A History of Vocal Pedagogy, by James Stark

5830.jpg

I started becoming interested in singing about four years ago while watching my first season of American Idol. I also was watching videos on Youtube that presented the vocal ranges of singers, and I noticed something curious about Mariah and Christina – they both appeared to have had declines that I hadn’t really noticed before. I saw how they were largely avoiding the higher notes they once had, and when they sang them they sounded odd. I wasn’t really sure exactly what was causing it, though, and comments were so filled with drivel that I couldn’t divine anything from that.

I eventually found my way to other forums that were discussing singers in ways that seemed informed, but I couldn’t hear a lot of what they were talking about. I didn’t know what they meant by “head voice” versus “falsetto” or what they were trying to communicate with phrases like “pulling chest”, and while I knew what flat and sharp were, I didn’t know when I was hearing them. And I definitely couldn’t tell you who was straining or who was producing something correctly.

Years later, I stumbled across a series of videos on Youtube that started explaining some of these concepts that I had only vaguely understood up until this point. It was like finding the Rosetta’s stone, the key to understanding these things. I was still curious, though: How did I actually know whether these people knew what they were talking about? I mean, it was always possible that they were talking out of their ass and had simply come up with clips to match what they were saying. So, I asked one of them if they had any books that they could recommend, since I wanted to learn more. He (possibly?) recommended this book, and it turned out to be absolutely fantastic.

The term “bel canto” is contentious, simply because almost every vocal coach presents their regime as harkening back to the “true” principles of bel canto singing, which have now, of course, been utterly lost. It also refers to a particular style of operatic composition, exemplified by the bel canto composers such as Donizetti, Rossini, and Bellini in the first half of the nineteenth century, which was followed by so-called verismo styles. Stark attempts to sidestep these debates by focusing less on which period or particular style of singing is called “bel canto” and instead focusing on the vocal qualities that were expected of bel canto style, and then offering his definition in the light of this. I thought it was an interesting synthesis, and made it possible to describe verismo works as being sung in a bel canto style of production, even if the composition did not make use of bel canto styles of expression.

The major subjects covered are the coup de la glotte, the quality of chiaroscuro and how the vocal tract is manipulated to achieve this, the problem of vocal registers, concepts of "breathing" as it relates to singing, particularly appoggio, the presence of what Stark calls "tremulousness" and what most people refer to as vibrato, and concepts of idiom and expression, where the vocal effects of bel canto singing are tied to expression rather than being virtuosic but ultimately empty assertions of mere technical skill. Within each of these chapters, Stark also covers a variety of related sub-topics and a variety of traditional theories and explanations, and concludes each chapter by comparing traditional explanations and concepts of singing with what modern science has taught us about the human voice, and then presents an overview of the contents in order to make a summation of the information presented. These sections are particularly helpful, as there is often a great deal of disagreement in the earlier sections.

The presentation is very serious and professional, and there are copious notes and references to a wide variety of historical, pedagogical, and scientific sources. It is not a book written with instruction in mind, but rather written with the goal of presenting a synthesis of information from the worlds of “voice teacher, laryngologist, and acoustician” into one book. If you have an interest in the human voice, and would like to read something that helps you to interpret what you’re hearing and give you new appreciation for singing done well, it’s a must-read.

The Assoluta Voice in Opera, 1797-1847, by Geoffrey S. Riggs

7061228.jpg

"Most female voices tend to fall naturally into four principal categories: coloratura/lyric soprano, dramatic soprano, mezzo-soprano, and contralto. The light soprano usually sings high, florid music; the dramatic soprano sings high, stentorian phrases; the mezzo sings mostly in the middle register; the contralto, mostly in the lower register. Occassionally, a phenomenal singer comes along who can encompass every aspect of vocal writing for the female voice."

The Assoluta Voice is an overview of nine soprano roles – Cherubini’s Médée, Rossini’s Armida, von Weber’s Reiza (in Oberon), Donizetti’s Anna Bolena, Gemma di Vergy, and Elisabetta (in Roberto Devereux, Bellini’s Norma, and Verdi’s Abigaille (in Nabucco) and Lady Macbeth. Riggs’ premise is that, taken together, these roles share qualities – a bifurcated tessitura, demands for complex and heroic fioritura, a range extending both below and above traditional soprano range, and an energetic orchestra that necessitates a full, heroic vocal line - that make them a defined fach.

In opera, a "fach" is a term for a) types of voices, b) roles which are written for those voices. In opera, fach is important for two reasons. The first reason is that in opera the voice is the primary means of characterization. This means that a flighty young girl would be sung by a light-lyric soprano, whose voice suggests youth. A bass is almost always as some sort of older patriarchal figure; a lyric tenor is almost always the protagonist. And it is because the voice is most important that you'll have fifty year old men playing teenage romantics: If their voice fits the character, that is important. The second reason is that knowing the fach of a role is a shorthand for knowing the technical demands of a role. If you are a lyric soprano, for instance, you will not likely seek out spinto soprano roles because you would either not be able to fulfill the demands, or you will damage your voice trying. And in most roles, it is not an issue to find women whose voices comport with the demands of the role, whatever they might be.

But with the assoluta roles, what has often happened with these roles is a series of compromises, where singers are able to encompass some, but not all, of the varied demands within them. A dramatic soprano might have the vocal size necessary for coping with the orchestral size, but lacks the flexibility needed for bel canto ornamentation. A light soprano would lack the size, or be unable to pair her flexibility with the heroic vocal line needed for the role. In order to deal with these things, these roles would often be pared down, as fioritura was written out of a performance or greatly slowed down, orchestra sizes were reduced, and vocal characterization suffered.

Riggs argues that it is in the combination of the superhuman demands of the vocal line of the assoluta role, combined with the heroism of her character, which makes the assoluta roles worth casting. These improbable vocal feats are a metaphor for the character's heroism. In the heyday of the castrato, roles were written for their voices which required a larger palette of expression from which to draw on. A female sorceress might have a voice with similar amplitude, but she would not possess the same vocal range, and her superhuman demonstrations of vocal power would not be balanced by more recognizably human feelings. The castrato was able to present a picture of vocal completeness, of both characterization, gender (by playing with gender in singing male roles in ways associated with women (e.g. light, crystalline tones and fioritura) or singing damsel-in-distress female roles in ways that suggested strength and power, with full vocal lines), range (by singing roles where all aspects of female vocal writing were represented, eliding traditional distinctions between female vocal types.

In this arrangement, the power of a castrato's performance came less from the writing or the libretto of a particular role, but rather upon the castrato performer's ability to present such a large range of musical and emotional states, in a single role that blurred traditional lines of female vocal categories. This led to the development of a large range working as a metaphor for the complete human experience. While the castrato fell away, composers began writing this way for women, as this metaphor became women's domain:

"The assoluta's heyday was the first four or five decades of the nineteenth century, the period which coincides with the flourishing of Romanticism all over Europe, and she represents the artistic emancipation from the neo-Aristotlelian properties of character: consistency, suitability to station, trueness to type, appropriateness of behavior, and so forht, along with the Romantic interest in human heroism, the defiance of the gods, the extremes of human character, or situation and behavior, and a total unpredictability. Whereas in the opera seria, we have already drawn attention to the fact that the sorceress might show a kind of wildness, it was not until the advent of the music drama of character that the mature woman was finally portrayed in her infinite variety and heroism.

What more natural metaphor could there be for such a character than a voice of infinite variety with both heroic weight and flexibility? In opera, the expressive medium of character is the singing voice- it is the voice that is the persona of the music drama, not the face and figure as in prose theatre. The voice in the assoluta repertoire is capable of daredevil feats with a chameleon's ability to change color, and she is therefore given the most difficult music to sing, high, low, trills, roulades, sustained notes. She must have the flexibility of a trapeze artist and the strength of the weight lifter. And this bewildering capability, these feats of vocal derring-do, are a metaphor for her heroism, and the breadth and variety of her character is measured by her astonishing range."​

In each chapter, he describes a particular assoluta role and its vocal demands in great detail, and then launches into a discussion of the examples of that role on disc. He also discusses the development of these roles, as well as what he refers to as “assoluta manquée” roles, which share some qualities seen in the true assoluta group, but do not truly require such a voice to do it justice, though it may benefit from it.

My interest in this was primarily as a fan of Maria Callas, in wanting to better understand her accomplishments as a vocalist. Maria is the only opera singer in the twentieth century who could be fittingly described as an assoluta, and while Riggs is unafraid to criticize her when necessary, his praise for her goes far beyond what any other singer seems to receive:

”The desperation of the stranded castaway, the overwhelming expanse of water, the volatile switches in Reiza’s mood – all are vividly intuited in Callas’ reading.”

“The ’57 performance enshrines easily the most captivating Anna on disc. No singer rips through this monster of a role with such panache. It may sound like a cliché, but Callas absorbed this music in her very bones.”

“As the Scala broadcast proceeds, Callas’s volatility dazzles more and more. Even the recitatives are mesmerizing. Her unerring instinct with this role calibrates exquisitely Norma’s alternating feelings of pride, helplessness, outrage, vulnerability, resignation – all the myriad moods that make this role so demanding, both dramatically and vocally.”

“Her breathtaking passagework as she flings the torn pieces at Nabucco’s feet culminates in a veritable snarl on “mezogner.” In the cavatina of their duet together, “Oh, di qual’ ontna,” there is another nasty snarl as Callas anticipates the populace bowing down before a mere slave in “Alfine cadranno i popoli/Di vile schiava al pie.” In the cabaletta, “Deh perdona,” both Gino Mechi and Maria Callas are electrifying. This is the high point of the entire performance. Callas is triumph incarnate, and Bechi’s searing desperation matches her intensity. Here, Gui comes into his own as well. The scene climaxes on a secure high E flat from Callas and Bechi’s high A flat.”

“’D’Amor al dolce impero” achieves perfect line down to her lowest note (low G) in roulade after roulade. Moreover, she manages to make the whole genuinely enticing. Pandemonium breaks out in the audience after the final triumphant top note.”​

And so forth. In fact, the only singers who receive more consistently fulsome praise are singers whom neither the author nor anyone else alive today has actually heard – their praise stems not from first-hand experience, but from the premise that because these roles were written for those women, it would stand to reason that they were indeed capable of doing those roles justice as written. Perhaps, but I find it difficult to imagine that they were truly capable of bettering Callas.

Frankly there’s little point in reading this book if you have no interest in opera in general, in learning about why Callas was so unique as a vocal phenomenon, or in gaining a new understanding for the difficulty of a set of vocal roles. But if you are interested in those things, you won’t find a better book on the subject.

The Complete Dinosaur, edited by

13697359.jpg

The Complete Dinosaur is a godsend for dinosaur lovers. I just loved reading about dinosaurs when I was a kid, but as I grew older it became more difficult to find the same sorts of books written for adults. This book is exactly what I had been looking for, with articles written by experts in various fields for a lay audience (albeit a literate, educated lay audience) that cover an enormous range of topics. I particularly appreciated that the editors presented a warts-and-all approach, choosing to allow articles to contradict one another when experts disagreed. The book presents paleontology as something alive and interesting, rather than as a simply a set of settled issues.

It covers almost any interest in dinosaurs you might have: the early history of discoveries, the invention of 'dinosaurs' as a concept, dinosaurs in Asia and southern continents, osteology, reconstructing musculature and paleoneurology, restoration, early evolution, birds, stegosaurs, ornithopods, ankylsaurs, sauropoda, theropods, reproduction, growth patterns, debates over thermoregulation and aerobic abilities, the use of footprints to study locomotion, and dozens of other subjects are all given their own - sometimes even several - chapters. And at the end of each chapter, there are at least three or four pages of sources to dozens of scholarly books and articles for further reading.

Piecake

Damn Mumei, impressive! I am rather tempted to reread The Story and the Stone after that awesome description.

I will definitely be reading 1491 based on your recommendation. Ive decided to go on a history binge so that will be my 'book' for pre-colonial American history. After High school, I mostly focused on East Asian history, so I want to rectify that. Currently I am making my way though the ancient world (Egypt right now)

As for my top 5, well, I honestly do not know since I am not exactly sure what I read this year (sad, i know). Ive decided to rectify that by signing up for goodreads though.

acrid

Banned
I pretty much read crap:

Doctor Sleep- Pseudo-sequel to The Shining. Not a horror story, but mildly entertaining.

Catching Fire- I'm late to the party on the Hunger Games. It was OK.

Terms of Enlistment- A freebie I picked up on the Kindle Lender's Library. A futuristic military/Sci-Fi story. Enjoyed this one quite a bit.

House of Secrets- 3 siblings in an enchanted house whisked away by a witch. Mediocre at best.

11/22/63- One of the best King books I've ever read. I loved this book. Time travel, suspense, love story, alternate history/future. I can't wait for Hollywood to pick this one up and fucking destroy it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fantasy is usually juvenile entertainment disguised as stories for adults. Ocean was a story for adults masquerading as children's entertainment.
Harkens back to a time when revenge used to mean something.
Of all the fictional societies I've encountered in science fiction and fantasy, the world of Arranes is probably the most well thought out and alien, too, even though all the characters are "human".
i8UgfWyMss4wQ.png

iLTE9yDk80oLG.gif

i1JAcsbt6CykH.gif

Rayven

aka surume
Ender's Game - For some reason I never got around to reading this - boy was I missing out. It's instantly up there with my favorite sci-fi books of all time. The story, Card's writing style and pacing made it a breeze to get through. I'm having a harder time with the second book b/c of all the Portuguese.

The Quantum Thief - Another one I really enjoyed. Fresh ideas and solid world building in a post-mortality universe. This book has some amazing highs and one of the most cringe inducing eye-roll moments I've ever had with a book (didn't hurt my overall enjoyment, but I did put it down for the night).

The Sirens of Titan - Weird one from KV. Haven't given it too much thought since reading, but it explores free will and organized religion. Tone is firmly on the goofy side, but its got a surprising and melancholy ending chapter.

Shengar

I just went into serious reading last year, and it is really a moment of change that I will not regret. So many wonderful thing I've discovered. It just a start, and my book become pilled up even more, and I'm really craved to read them all this year!

Anyway, this is my Top 5 Favorites book of the Year:

14201.jpg

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
First time I read about it on a reviewer blogger, I thought this book came from Victorian Era. Surprisingly, it is not, and what's more it is a fantasy book, a genre that I admired. But JSMN is not just your standard fare fantasy. Even though it is took place in Regency Era, the book feels as much as fantastical, even moreso than most fantasy book that took place in constructed world I've read so far. The prose is simple, yet ellegant and intricate. The detail and acurracy of its historical event, entertaining and clever use of footnotes, all to tell a fantastic story about magic make JSMN my favorite (fantasy) book of all time.

%7B04DD08B0-39F7-44F8-A9D0-F5A592128303%7DImg400.jpg

Selected Stories of Anton Chekhov
I'm mostly sceptical about translated work, because some beautiful prose, and excellency of writing in a book could lose in the proccess of translation. But Richard Pevear proved to prove me wrong. He capable of translating Chekhiv's work beautifully. The stories themselves are wonderful. They're just simple slice of life stories, sometimes end without proper resolution, but yet they feel natural and how the characters struggle throughout their problem makes it feel that Chekhov wrote stories about real people, not fictititous one.

14686.jpg

The King of Elfland's Daughter
A lost fantasy classic from Lord Dunsanny. This short novel is really like the antithesis of modern day fantasy fiction. It is short, and the world that told in it is small. yet it feels wondrous . The world truly lives from Lord Dunsanny sheer skills in writing, turning something that feel "regular" at this point because genre saturity like elf and magic into fantastical being and phenomenon. People who like Lord of The Ring should read Dunsanny's work too, as Tolkien brought many inspiration from him.

The Scar
Out of 4 China Mieville books I've read this year, The Scar is my favorite. It is just vastly superior to Perdido Street Station by any mile. While The City and The City dabbled with much more interesting idea, the writing it just too simple (though I must said it work well with the of the book). The Scar is the most balanced. It shows many ideas, executed well with excellent writing. Unlike Perdido Street Station that the prose feel too convoluted because the usage of so many unusual word, The Scar use simpler word, yet managed to create the atmospheric feel of the book stronger than Perdido Street Station. I really love Bas-Lag universe, and how Mieville handled it. I hope he return to this created world sometime in the future.

9916170.jpg

Alice's Adventure in Wonderland and Through Looking Glass
I just read this, and oh boy, what an experience to be had! I don't believe this book could work in translated version. So many wordplay, so many pun. As I'm not native english speaker, Alice have put me into so much toruble reading than I expected it. Nonetheless, I know why is it become classic. Alice is just magical, a raw imagination that feels come out of a children. Fantasy of their adventure with their mundane surrounding, turned wild by their imagination alone.

Top Bottom