• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite special effects in movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jurassic_park.jpg

kozmo7 said:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always found this one of the coolest effects in film.

2marsh1.jpg

nevercrossthestreams.jpg

Hard to find stream shots that aren't the video game....

I just watched this on BluRay
good times!!! good times!!!

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
tomjr said:
In Spielberg's War of the Worlds, at the beginning of the movie when Tom Cruise is driving the van, the camera is flying around the van as he talks to his son. I suppose this is no different from a car commercial, but it was so subtle to me that took a while until I noticed.

Yeah, great use of the window warp effect.

Here's a basic tutorial on how to do it using after effects:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/magic_glass/

jett

D-Member
Oh yeah, more recently, teen Brad Pitt in Benjamin Button blew me away.

benjamin17.jpg

Here's how he actually looks like:
benjamin11.jpg

"Old" Benjamin looks good too of course :p

benjamin3.jpg

DarthWaiter said:
Top 5 worst movies ever for me:

Robocop
Ghostbusters
Blade Runner
Transformers
Children of Men

You need to watch more movies. Seriously.

Watch:

- Dangerous Sharks
- Xtro
- Vanity Fair
- Dragon Wars
- Catwoman
- Alone in the Dark

You might then reconsider your atrocious list that reeks of retarted elitism.

Bluth54

kozmo7 said:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always found this one of the coolest effects in film.

2marsh1.jpg

nevercrossthestreams.jpg

Hard to find stream shots that aren't the video game....
Aside from a few effects, like the stop motion animated dog chasing Louis, the effects in Ghostbusters still stand up incredibly well. The ghosts and the proton streams are both still incredible.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
jett said:
Oh yeah, more recently, teen Brad Pitt in Benjamin Button blew me away.

I'm glad you posted "young" Pitt first, since that's what impressed me most. It's like they got into a time machine and went back to Thelma and Louise Pitt... if not earlier, like... Nightmare on Elm Street series Pitt.

tomjr

Goreomedy said:
Yeah, great use of the window warp effect.

Here's a basic tutorial on how to do it using after effects:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/magic_glass/

Wow. Informative and funny. Man, it's taken me years to get comfortable to move around in Photoshop and Illustrator to use probably about 1% of its capabilities, but After Effects looks like a beast. That 'basic tutorial' is sick.

I just tried that space-move-vertex tip and it works in Illustrator too. Thanks for sharing that.

Bluth54

Blader5489 said:
Hell yeah! That was always one of the biggest reasons RotJ was my favorite as a kid.
Same here. RotJ was my favorite when I was a kid just because of that space battle.

I'm still waiting for a space battle in a movie or on a TV show to surpass the Battle of Endor. I have my doubts I'll ever see it happen. Deep Space Nine, Babylon 5, Revenge of the Sith, First Contact and Battlestar Galactica all had some great space battles but they were never able to surpass Endor.

VaLiancY

Arnold's face
in T4.

Um, where to begin?

Both Transformers movie.
Anything with Stan Winston's team.(This maybe cheating since I loved the animatronics)
Predator's cloaking effect.
Bill Nigh in PotC(I love his facial expressions :lol)
The bullet ripple effect from The Matrix before it was PLAYED out.
Benjamin Button.

I'm forgetting so much.

jett

D-Member
I also like how the snow moves around in this scene from Speed Racer. The layering effect in the background when someone's talking is also pretty awesome. A recent special effect done for storytelling purposes? Who woulda thought!?

Bluth54

Dax01 said:
Ship design? Action?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrancN6_yYA

Yeah, it's short, but damn is it ever so sweet.
Yeah that's a really great battle, it's just too bad we only get to see the tail end of it.

I will say that the Akira class and Sovereign class are my 2 favorite Star Trek ship designs, both of which were introduced in First Contact. I'm not a huge fan of the other new Federation ships they made for that battle though.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Scullibundo said:
T1000 freezing in the liquid nitrogen.

Teddy from A.I.

Alien Queen.

Pretty much anything by Stan Winston's team.

The spinning set in 2001 - especially when you see them climb the ladder as if it were upside down. Brilliant.
so neat

jett

D-Member
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Another great effect from Speed Racer was Speed "racing" his brother in the opening scene.

That was awesome. They totally borrowed that from the ghost data used in video racing games. :p

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
jett said:
That was awesome. They totally borrowed that from the ghost data used in video racing games. :p

Exactly. Felt like the bros were nudging me in the ribs. Hard. Big fan of Speed Racer.

Tobor

Scullibundo said:
[IMGboskolives.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/the_abyss_large_05.jpg[/IMG]

Bring on AVATAR!

Avatar better be the best fucking movie of all time, or you will never hear the end of it.

btkadams

DarthWaiter said:
Top 5 worst movies ever for me:

Robocop
Ghostbusters
Blade Runner
Transformers
Children of Men
how the fuck could anyone say children of men is one of the worst movies ever?

Tobor

Dax01 said:
Oh come on! Yeah, sure, length is probably its biggest shortcoming, but it's respectable... Right?

Respectable, yeah. Definitely. I enjoy that scene. I thought you were implying it was better than the battle of Endor, though.

sarcastor said:
davyjonesl.jpg

when i learnt that this was 100% CGI (well 92% if you don't include the eyes), i nearly shat bricks

I came to post a pic of a Clone Trooper from Episode 2 cuz I was shocked to find out every single trooper was CG in every scene of the movie. I was amazed that not one suit was built for the movie. However, Davy Jones takes that a step further. Yoda when he's visiting Palpatine in the second movie also is a good runner up since I thought it was still a puppet on the close ups, especially the way they got his ears to bounce like rubber like the old puppet did. Anytime CG can fool me is top notch in my book. I love CG where I don't know it's CG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom