• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What B-list/C-list XB1 and PS4 games did you enjoy?

I played almost all the major releases last gen, but with PS4/XB1 titles selling relatively cheaply now, I was looking to scoop up a few solid titles to play before I upgrade. What did you guys enjoy?

For me:

Jurassic World Evolution, especially with the DLC - There have been a lot of Jurassic Park games, but this was my favorite. Graphics were solid, atmosphere was great, and tools were flexible, yet accessible.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Excellent graphics, solid story from people who truly "get" the characters, and decent action

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfall - From a gameplay perspective, this is probably the best console evolution of those old PC RPGs from yesteryear (yes, I know it was on PC first, but the console version is great). Great party control, cool dialogue options, tons of replayability, etc.

BONUS - Here are some games that sold really well, but I feel have since received little discussion:

Assassin's Creed Unity - Now that most of the bugs are fixed, I love this game. Coop missions, great assassinations...and revolutionary Paris is an amazing setting for an AC game...possibly the best ever?

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - I know CoD games don't need any pushing, but I just wanted those who hadn't played the campaign here to know that it's my favorite from this gen.

Injustice 2 - I didn't spend a dime on costumes, abilities, etc., yet I still have basically all of them. That's because the gameplay is just excellent...and the implementation of certain superheroes that one would expect great difficult with (i.e. the Atom, TMNT, Aquaman) is done fantastically.

Akuji

Catherine was a wild ride. loved it. Is it B list? Probably. Still have Full body collectors edition unplayed in the shelf. Maybe i give it a go soon. Is it better then the original? I know its just expanded upon but what ive seen was ... well lets just say, it could very well be way worse then the OG.

Code Vein and Remnant from the ashes are among my favorite games ever. The lack of praise for them make me feel like gaming is not dead but gamers and Neogaf are.... Seriously.... no Wo Long OT gaf... So sad I cannot seem to get into Era... that's a migration offense. People bashing Efootball when it's my favorite and most played games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
ps4_Sakura-Wars-Packshot_350x436.jpg

I wouldn’t call it best game ever made but it was enjoyable and surprisingly very high production value.

And Kubo (Bleach) did the character designs which I enjoyed.

Last edited:

intbal

Elex

The early difficulty turned off a lot of people. It plateaus after you gain a few levels, though.
Unique and expansive game that doesn't feel anything like the worlds created by other developers.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Did this cat just call Infinite Warfare and Assassins Creed Unity B-List games?

Unity was janky at launch sure, but it was so ambitious that was as AAA as a game can get.
The scaling of that game was near 1:1.
Its the last AC game that really had a sense of scale because of how accurately Paris they created models.
You could climb a 2 story building and feel like you were really high up, pretty much every other AC game being 2 stories up feels like a small ledge.
Climb higher and get your mind blown.
There was a huge jump in crowd density (the guillotine execution mission still impresses me to this day).
22nHWOY.jpg

As for Infinite Warfare.
Just no.

but
On Topic
What Remains of Edith Finch.
Nex Machina (doesnt really deserve to be B-list imo).
and
Atelier games.......always Atelier games.

No. I made a point to distinguish them from the title of the OP, putting them in their own list and acknowledging that they were distinct.

Did this cat just call Infinite Warfare and Assassins Creed Unity B-List games?

Unity was janky at launch sure, but it was so ambitious that was as AAA as a game can get.
The scaling of that game was near 1:1.
Its the last AC game that really had a sense of scale because of how accurately Paris they created models.
You could climb a 2 story building and feel like you were really high up, pretty much every other AC game being 2 stories up feels like a small ledge.
Climb higher and get your mind blown.
There was a huge jump in crowd density (the guillotine execution mission still impresses me to this day).
22nHWOY.jpg

As for Infinite Warfare.
Just no.

but
On Topic
What Remains of Edith Finch.
Nex Machina (doesnt really deserve to be B-list imo).
and
Atelier games.......always Atelier games.

LordOfChaos

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - I know CoD games don't need any pushing, but I just wanted those who hadn't played the campaign here to know that it's my favorite from this gen.

Actually the only CoD campaign I've finished and I really liked it, especially the plot around the robot/AI Ethan

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I liked Strange Brigade too, plus Rime, Lost in Random and We Happy Few. I'm sure there is a ton more ever since I first got Game Pass. It totally opened me up to so many great games I would never have experienced in the past.

I used to be so closed minded and picky about what games to play, I frequently had nothing to play. Now I have the opposite problem trying to decide what to play because I have way too many.

RCU005

Is it wrong that it upsets me that OP refers to The Guardians of the Galaxy as B-list or C-list?

I got Neptunia for PS Vita and liked it, so somehow played the entire (main) series and ended up buying the one on PS4.

Are "B-class" and "C-class" not super subjective terms anyways, I fundamentally disagree on the "objective" analysis where the majority of people's opinion becomes some objective way to measure the quality of the game, and I'm not sure I qualify to determine which games are viewed as B-class or C-class, but from my guess I'd say I don't see Quantum Break and Dying Light talked much about on video game forums (maybe I'm missing the talk though), and I consider those my 2 favorite games of last gen, alongside the first Life is Strange being top tier too. Whether those games are considered B-Class or C-Class I don't know, but they're not super mainstream game that I absolutely loved

Mahavastu

I really enjoyed "Risen 3" on PS4, but can not remember much. Its one of these german RPGs from the maker of the Gothic and the Elex series.
And I remember that after that I played "Witcher 3" and told myself, that Witcher3 is a totally different level :pie_eyeroll:

I think Risen 3 was < 5 Euro at one sale not that long ago...

Last edited:

intbal

I really enjoyed "Risen 3" on PS4, but can not remember much. Its one of these german RPGs from the maker of the Gothic and the Elex series.
And I remember that after that I played "Witcher 3" and told myself, that Witcher3 is a totally different level :pie_eyeroll:

I think Risen 3 was < 5 Euro at one sale not that long ago...
Risen 3 was technically a 7th gen game.
It was on X360/PS3.
It just also got a remaster on PS4.

SpiceRacz

I struggle to even label it ‘b class’ such was my love for it, but A Hat in Time is one of my favourite games from last gen.

I need to give this another shot, because I remember the level design being not great.

It was one of my most anticipated games for a long time. Especially after this trailer came out.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Trails of Cold Steel I-IV
Trails into Zero
Trails to Azure

Almost done with Cold Steel III. Its such trashy anime bullshit and I love it to pieces. Plus its nice to play a jrpg thats actually turn based and not some square enix action crap.

I plan on playing the Crossbell arc before Reverie comes out. The Crossbell chapter was so cool in CS3, it was like I was visiting another jrpg hero’s hometown from a different hero’s perspective. Never done that in a game before.

AmuroChan

Almost done with Cold Steel III. Its such trashy anime bullshit and I love it to pieces. Plus its nice to play a jrpg thats actually turn based and not some square enix action crap.

I plan on playing the Crossbell arc before Reverie comes out. The Crossbell chapter was so cool in CS3, it was like I was visiting another jrpg hero’s hometown from a different hero’s perspective. Never done that in a game before.

The Crossbell games add so much more context and depth to CS1-4. I'm tempted to go back and replay the CS games again before Reverie comes out.

drganon

They may not be "aaa" as far as budget and graphics go, but falcom makes great action and turn based jrpgs.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is it wrong that it upsets me that OP refers to The Guardians of the Galaxy as B-list or C-list?
No it is not wrong.
Cuz that Guardians was/is an A-list game that just didnt sell as well as SquareEnix expected.

Subjective what one considers B-tier.
I guess some games inherently have no huge budget because they don't need one, while others would benefit from more money.

Tetris Effect
The Council
INSIDE
Telling Lies
Turing Test
The Artful Escape
Tron Run/r
Transference
Last Days of June
Last Stop
Deliver us the Moon
Virginia
Minit
Shadow Warrior 3
Paper Beast
Erica
Soma
Unmechanical Extended
Extreme Exorcism
Helldivers
What remains of Edith Finch
Teslagrad
The Bridge
Valiant Hearts
The Swapper
Velocity 2X
probably the first group, and especially Tetris is kind of A-tier even though hardly ever will be a blockbuster game as it once was

Eagle Flight
Redeemer
European Truck Racing Championship
belonging to the latter, enjoyable games but imho could be better if a little more budget (and time) was given. Especially a proper truck racing game is even more niche than bike racing and naturally has low budget written all over it.

Top Bottom