• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What direction do you guys think the next, mainline Mario game will head in?

Anth0ny

Probably something that uses the Wii U tablet gimmick to help sell it. Can't say I'm excited.

Specifics of Nintendo games are always hard to predict. I foresee another 3D game that employs the camera on the tablet controller more than the tablet itself, which is pretty limited because it's like having a DS, only you can't see both screens at once, dividing the experience and making it essentially less intuitive. With the camera they can shape worlds according to people's emotions, etc. Many more possibilities that are unexplored, by Nintendo anyways.

No reason to think that. The Galaxy games had very little Wiimote implementation, I'm hoping this is the same for the next 3D Mario.

Zelda is the franchise where they use the console's gimmick to help sell it.

I hope Nintendo can tighten up the controls, SM64 is just magical in that regard. Sunshine, too. Hmm...Crap, I hope it isn't the fault of wireless controllers.

Yo, I'm gonna let you finish, but...

Haha, it was unintentional, but I knew it sounded familiar when I read it back.

Super Mario Dimensions. It's like Sonic Generations except better. :O Mario travels through all the dimensions to meet his counterparts. :O

Anth0ny

I hope Nintendo can tighten up the controls, SM64 is just magical in that regard. Sunshine, too. Hmm...Crap, I hope it isn't the fault of wireless controllers.

Nope, Galaxy controls are slow and floaty compared to its predecessors.

Now before you guys murder me, Galaxy 2 is my game of the generation.

hatchx

Banned
I've put a lot of thought into this.

A perfect merging of Super Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy in next generation. Yes, one big world. No load outs, no level select. This world is actually just one of three planets you fly and land to in the solar system.

Collect stars in the giant world, and use the cape to fly around (proceeded by a running triple jump). Swim, run, and jump to explore the world. Different areas contain different platforming challenges to get stars.

Collect stars to make things happen/appear in the world. Fight bosses. Etc.

Bottom screens used for a top down map. If you switch to the touch screen to single screen play, you simple lose the navigation map.

The kicker is the multiplayer. Play online with friends in the world. They will just appear near you. Some stars needed for 2-4 players. Enter someone elses world and you become Luigi, Toad, or Peach (all glorified skins).

This would be the ultimate Mario Universe.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
No hub. You travel through 8 worlds, each of which is a sprawling Xenoblade like expanse, only with much more terrain variation and bizarre platforming concepts. You can simply progress through to the end and move on to the next world (which can take a long time to do, with the amount of obstacles in your path), or try to complete everything and go for the 'side quests'. These are optional platforming or survival challenges scattered around the map. You might need to complete a task like this to attain a power-up to be used in that world.

Everything you can see can be reached, and vice versa.

RkOwnage

Honestly, I enjoyed SMG1 and 2 so much, and then REALLY enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land (I'd go as far as to say it's one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite Mario Games) so if the new one is like either of these, I'd be really excited for it.

The only Mario gave I haven't ever beaten is Super Mario Sunshine.

Galaxy 1-2 are some of my favorite games ever and yet I don't want them to repeat it, I trust Nintendo will find some new magical way to surprise me.

KingK

This actually exactly the same with me too. (Except I totally consider myself a Mario fan.)

Yeah I liked Sunshine more than galaxy.

I think it was the setting that tropical island hub world I loved.

Glad I'm not alone. I feel like Sunshine had better controls than Galaxy, and I really liked maneuvering around with the FLUDD thing. And since jumping/running around is 90% of a Mario game, the fact that it didn't feel nearly as fun to do so in Galaxy was kinda disappointing. Also, yeah, the tropical setting totally kicked ass.

Probably something to do with the tablet, but they should also build on the wonderful foundation they laid with SMG.

I'd love to see Nintendo tackle a 2D hand-drawn Mario like Rayman Origins, and call it the true sequel to Super Mario World. It's perfect: HD stands for Hand-Drawn!

It would be Super Mario Bros. 4 HD! :D

Shimesaba

I hope Nintendo can tighten up the controls, SM64 is just magical in that regard.
So true. I know they'll never do this, but my biggest wish is that someday Nintendo brings back Mario 64-style wall kicks where you have to perform the jump instantaneously or you slam into the wall.

While I'm dreaming, 64 wing cap-style flight and lava surfing with shells would be nice too.

In general I really hope for a return to a more open feel, like 64 and especially Sunshine had. The Galaxy games' blatant linearity and looser controls were two steps backward.

I'd be all for a new Mario game in the style of 64/Sunshine (with more emphasis on exploration). But then, I'd also be up for a new Mario game like Galaxy or 3D Land (with more emphasis on individual platforming levels).

So hey, whatever. Nintendo do your thing.

Super Mario Dimensions. It's like Sonic Generations except better. :O Mario travels through all the dimensions to meet his counterparts. :O
Nothing is better than Sonic Generations. Out with your blasphemy, heathen.

I'd much prefer a more open, adventure-y game like SM64 and Sunshine, but I'd take another game in the vein of Galaxy. With a new setting, of course.

Gimme another 2D Yoshi game too, plz.

Gustav

Banned
Princess Peach gets kidnapped by bowser, Mario goes after her killing many angry mushrooms and turtles on the way by jumping on their heads. There will be platforms.

ZenaxPure

The kicker is the multiplayer. Play online with friends in the world. They will just appear near you. Some stars needed for 2-4 players. Enter someone elses world and you become Luigi, Toad, or Peach (all glorified skins).

Was with you until this, I too want a huge open world with no "stages" but rather tons of hidden/challenge stars everywhere. Sure split the world into different sections to make them visually different but I think it would be cool to have a very exploration focused Mario, Sunshine was sort of that and I enjoyed that part a lot.

Multiplayer, though? Eh, NOTHING angers me when playing a game as much as when I get to a secret area and it tells me I need another player to open up and go explore this part of the stage. I am not against multiplayer in my Mario game, but I want it to be more of a challenge/side sort of thing, not incorporated directly into the part where I go and collect stars.

Top Bottom