• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Does Sony Have For The Holidays?

I thought it was confirmed and I just missed it due to people talking about it in this thread.

Would make that contest a bit silly -- especially if the bundle will have a special PS4 and not just a black one.

Like I mentioned in the SW thread, they specifically mention that it's a SW themed PS4. So it's likely a case that they're using the black PS4 because Sony hasn't officially announced the SE console. That's probably coming at E3 like they did with Destiny.

Fat4all

Banned
Hiyoooooo?

edmc.jpg

And so the cycle continues.

>"Hey sony dont have games for '_____'"
> list of games appear
> "okay but none of those exclusives are mainstream/popular/ will sell 4million+"
> talk devolves into marketing and how ps4 has and can sell without exclusives due to 3rd party titles
> "why are we talking about co marketing and 3rd party titles lol? Hey do you guys know sony dont ha-"
/

Seems we are at the ps4 can and has sold without major exclusives.

Some comments also suggest that we are moving back towards sony has no games that period so i guess we have one foot in one foot out.

Nyc.

Iorv3th

I was referring to Xbox having the special 'buy an Xbox, free one retail game' deal freebie they had which they did during the Destiny launch week.

I thought what he was getting at was that Destiny sold better according to NPD on xboxone (i believe). But the ps4 bundles were not counted in that. The xbox one 'bundles' were counted because it was not a packaged in game, but a 'choose your free game' thing.

$349.00 Star Wars SE bundle. Resistance and First Order variations. One black with the Order sigil and one White with the Resistance sigil

$299 regular SKU Black and White variations

Potential titles:

Persona 5
No Mans Sky
Rime
The Tomorrow Children
The Witness
Ratchet and Clank
Dragon Quest Heroes
Hot Shots Golf
Cosmic Star Heroine
Killing Floor 2
Volume
Drawn to Death

I personally think Uncharted collection and Kingdom Hearts HD collection will hit over the holiday season as well. Along with other things announced at E3.

So despite the crap spewed from many people here the holiday season could be something fantastic on the Ps4 unless your head is wrapped tight with the " HUGE AAA " banner. Hell I'll take Rime over anything coming out on Xbox or Wii U alone, except Splatoon. That looks tempting enough to purchase a system over.

All I know is I am going to have a ton to play all year long and can't wait. Already got tons to play. Having trouble figuring out how to pay for all the rest

The problem is they can't really announce a bundle yet because that could really kill sales of the console up till November. They've got Batman to deal with first then come July/August announce an MGS bundle and then they'll announce the Star Wars one afterwards.

It would be the same as announcing a price drop now for November. It would totally kill sales.

again, why are people always saying 299?

i can't for the life of me figure out why people expect this much of a price cut.

i mean, are people dreaming? is that actually their wish so they can finally buy a ps4? i don't get where that figure is coming from.

TheNAC

Banned

i can't for the life of me figure out why people expect this much of a price cut.

i mean, are people dreaming? is that actually their wish so they can finally buy a ps4? i don't get where that figure is coming from.

$50 price drops arent as common. Plus with Morpheus launching early next year they will want the entry point for it as low as possible.

Jigorath

Banned
do we have a custom console yet? It will be dumb if they don't do it, but I think MS will push heavy the exclusive Tomb Raider and Halo 5 games & consoles(if they are custom) this fall, plus the rumored Gears game, Banjo if it make it this year, Forza 6, I can see all of them being bundled somehow. They lose on starwars as its going to be huge, but will most likely counteract like destiny and give the game away with xbox purchases that week. Didn't Destiny outsell with the freebies on xbox compared to PS4, on NPD? A nice counter for Microsoft.

PS4 outsold XB1 2:1 in September. Wasn't much of a counter for Microsoft.

Didn't realize how people actually cared about marketing deals. lol
Have list wars gotten this desperate?
Seems like right now Sony has no big exclusive for the holiday... but hey, at least they got their logo on a Battlefront trailer!

Ah so you know Sony's lineup for the rest of the year. Excellent, can you share the details with the rest of the class?

bebop242

Yea i dont get it either. I suppose you can argue that Sony will follow MS's lead from last holiday season and slash prices to win this holiday season. However if i was running Sony, i wouldn't drop it unless it was starting to trend down prior to it. 9>3.

Bl@de

They have Battlefront marketing. I won't play the game (don't like MP Shooters) but this is a big one. Along with a new Star Wars movie (where the original cast reappears) and a Holiday release ... this game is going to sell big time. Sony will probably make a big Star Wars bundle for 399€ (PS4, Battlefront, EP7 cinema ticket or EP4-6 blurays maybe) along with ads everywhere ... this is a topseller for them. I will play Persona 5 in the meantime -.-

Javin98

Banned
After last year's holiday season, I expect Sony to have more aggressive bundles this year. I could totally see at least two or even more of these bundles for the holiday season:
$349 Battlefront PS4 bundle
$349 PS4 bundle with Bloodborne, The Order and TLOU:R/Driveculb
$349 PS4 bundle with MGS5 and Batman Arkham Knight
$299 PS4 standalone

Jigorath

Banned
After last year's holiday season, I expect Sony to have more aggressive bundles this year. I could totally see at least two or even more of these bundles for the holiday season:
$349 Battlefront PS4 bundle
$349 PS4 bundle with Bloodborne, The Order and TLOU:R/Driveculb
$349 PS4 bundle with MGS5 and Batman Arkham Knight
$299 PS4 standalone

All of those seem doable except the $299 standalone. Sony has no reason to go that low right now. Maybe in 2016.

Javin98

Banned
All of those seem doable except the $299 standalone. Sony has no reason to go that low right now. Maybe in 2016.
We don't all have to agree on the base price, but I and many others have already explained the reason why Sony might drop it to $299. $349 is too insignificant of a price drop IMO.

Jigorath

Banned
We don't all have to agree on the base price, but I and many others have already explained the reason why Sony might drop it to $299. $349 is too insignificant of a price drop IMO.

I don't see a $50 price drop as insignificant. Especially since it's the first one for the PS4.

Javin98

Banned
I don't see a $50 price drop as insignificant. Especially since it's the first one for the PS4.
Just keep in mind that the XB1 had been $349 since last year's holiday season. If the PS4 has its price slashed to $349 in October, it would be almost a year since the XB1 was at that price. Most causal gamers who have no idea about the hardware differences will definitely see it as insignificant.

The problem is they can't really announce a bundle yet because that could really kill sales of the console up till November. They've got Batman to deal with first then come July/August announce an MGS bundle and then they'll announce the Star Wars one afterwards.

It would be the same as announcing a price drop now for November. It would totally kill sales.

True. I would not expect a bundle announcement until October.

Just keep in mind that the XB1 had been $349 since last year's holiday season. If the PS4 has its price slashed to $349 in October, it would be almost a year since the XB1 was at that price. Most causal gamers who have no idea about the hardware differences will definitely see it as insignificant.

I see $299 too. Time for total market saturation. $349 is bleh.

Circinus

So hold on, you're having a go at people for using 'exclusive marketing deals' as a rebuttal against lack of exclusive games, chalking it up to not being something that benefits the consumer, and now you're saying its cringe how people obsess over exclusives when exclusives are listed to you? I don't think you should post in this thread, sir.

I understand the confusion, but that is never what I meant at all.

I wasn't having at go at people for using 'exclusive marketing deals' as a rebutting against lack of exclusives. I was wondering why people were seeming to care so much about 'exclusive marketing deals' when it's something that affects them in no way as a consumer. But yeah, if you're talking about how the PS4 is going to sell during the holiday, then it's obviously relevant.

It wasn't meant to be a rebuttal against lack of exclusive games. Personally speaking, I don't think there's a lack of upcoming exclusive games for PS4. I'm a fan of most of Sony Computer Entertainment's first-party games, I know they'll deliver lots of good games during the generation. I don't have a PS4 by the way. If I consider it to be not worth it right now due to the catalogue of games being limited, then that's perfectly fine of course. I need to have a go at other people for that.

Basically, there seems to be some conflation on the topic between:

- "What first-party games does Sony Computer Entertainment as a publisher have for me as a consumer this holiday that will be interesting to me? (e.g. Ratchet & Clank)"

And:

- "What does SCE have for the holiday to be able to have a good commercial performance with the PS4; and sell a lot of PS4's (e.g. Battlefront marketing, multiplatform games adding up the the catalogue of games, big advertising campaign, high-profile exclusive/first-party game, price drop etc"

fixuis

Whenever launching at a market friendly price point sony has always had price drops in decrements of $50 and that's going to be the case this time as well. Maybe a 299$ bundle will drop in 2016 or 17 with a redesigned ps4...would make much more sense.

Yea i dont get it either. I suppose you can argue that Sony will follow MS's lead from last holiday season and slash prices to win this holiday season. However if i was running Sony, i wouldn't drop it unless it was starting to trend down prior to it. 9>3.
A proactive strategy will always beat a reactive one. It's the reason why PS2 was so competitive for so long

Most people who say 299 is assuming Sony had delayed a price drop for this long precisely for the purpose of maximum impact. In theory PS4 could have been 349 last Christmas, Sony just decided against it.

One massive cut is better for sales than two smaller cuts spread out. Seriously, the issue is that 50 dollars is too low of a price cut if they really wanted to expand their user base. It is either 100 dollars or no cuts.

Circinus

Circinus dude please. Stop. You do this every thread talking about Sony exclusives. I'm seriously thinking you are an astroturfer with how hard you have been posturing this remake and the accompanying movie. It's ok to be excited, but constantly doing nothing but talking about it is having the opposite intended effect.

You're right, I apologize.

And no I'm just a Ratchet & Clank fan. ^.^ And no I don't think companies would hire astrofurers for just one game that doesn't even have a trailer and where the marketing cycle hasn't picked up yet. That wouldn't be very effective I think.

Considering many people don't seem aware of Ratchet & Clank so much, but are often asking about what first-party games SCE has for the holiday, then I do think it's a valid answer though. Maybe people shouldn't constantly be bringing up this topic in the first place.

After E3, after the first trailer and gameplay footage will have been released, people will probably take notice of Ratchet & Clank though.

Anyway, I apologize and I understand the annoyance. ;)

And no I'm just a Ratchet & Clank fan. And no I don't think companies would hire astrofurers for just one game that doesn't even have a trailer and where the marketing cycle hasn't picked up yet. That wouldn't be very effective I think.

Considering many people don't seem aware of Ratchet & Clank so much, but are often asking about what first-party games SCE has for the holiday, then I do think it's a valid answer though. Maybe people shouldn't constantly bringing up this topic in the first place.

After E3, after the first trailer and gameplay footage, people will probably take notice of Ratchet & Clank though.

Anyway, I apologize and I understand the confusion. ;)

Somebody posted a Ratchet & Clank picture in another thread today, and I immediately sighed and thought it was you again. You're tainted, mang!

freefornow

Gold Member
They have Battlefront marketing. I won't play the game (don't like MP Shooters) but this is a big one. Along with a new Star Wars movie (where the original cast reappears) and a Holiday release ... this game is going to sell big time.

Anyone feel that the sales of Battlefront will be somewhat dented by lack of single player campaign? I know there is an offline component, but thats not the same as a single player campaign.

And no I'm just a Ratchet & Clank fan. ^.^ And no I don't think companies would hire astrofurers for just one game that doesn't even have a trailer and where the marketing cycle hasn't picked up yet. That wouldn't be very effective I think.

Considering many people don't seem aware of Ratchet & Clank so much, but are often asking about what first-party games SCE has for the holiday, then I do think it's a valid answer though. Maybe people shouldn't constantly be bringing up this topic in the first place.

After E3, after the first trailer and gameplay footage will have been released, people will probably take notice of Ratchet & Clank though.

Anyway, I apologize and I understand the annoyance. ;)

There's a lot of people interested in Ratchet and Clank.....its just we're in slumber. Hopefully we get info at E3.

$299 is just Sony throwing money down the drain. You don't do that when you are in the financial strife that Sony is in. Especially not when you are already outselling your competitor by almost 2:1.

I see $349 with some heavy game bundling this year, and a $299 'Slim' next year.

Of course, I could be wrong.

when people buy a console they consider the entire library on games for said consoles. I personally don't believe the primary factor is the most recent big release unless the specific customer is a fan of said big release.

Top Bottom