• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Does Sony Have For The Holidays?

Hugstable

Banned
Halo's longevity is the multiplayer. The numbers 4 months after launch are the absolute worst any mainline Halo has ever had. No one besides a small portion of players were still playing the game after launch.

Probably a bit off topic, but what was changed in the overall multiplayer to have the longterm playerbase take such a hit like that anyway? Never followed the game that much, but I'm guessing they changed something for it to drop like that.

Welfare

Probably a bit off topic, but what was changed in the overall multiplayer to have the longterm playerbase take such a hit like that anyway? Never followed the game that much, but I'm guessing they changed something for it to drop like that.

Made it more like Call of Duty and removed a lot of options for custom games.

Personally, it was a shift away from an emphasis on even encounters that focused on map control towards a more CoD-eqsue base for the game that killed it dead in its track.

PS4 getting CoD is a big blow, but IMO I don't think it will have THAT big an impact, not when people have associated Xbox and CoD for the last seven years.

Sony getting Battlefront is big though. I fully expect a Destiny situation in regards to sales (counting bundles, of course).

Elandyll

Banned
I've seen people saying that the rumor is CoD dropped MS exclu marketing, and others that Sony swooped in...

What if CoD just went agnostic?

It's just hard to imagine Sony pushing both major FPS franchises in the same month tbh...

Swass

The campaign was very highly regarded.
Generalizing all Halo fans as "hating" the game is wrong.

Isn't Halo 4 the reason people lack faith in 343 Studios? And Master Chief Collection sure didn't help.. It's crazy to think how much is riding on Halo 5 in terms of 343 Studios and the Halo franchise.

Game4life

Banned
PS4 getting CoD is a big blow, but IMO I don't think it will have THAT big an impact, not when people have associated Xbox and CoD for the last seven years.

Sony getting Battlefront is big though. I fully expect a Destiny situation in regards to sales (counting bundles, of course).

When did this happen?

BokehKing

Banned
I've seen people saying that the rumor is CoD dropped MS exclu marketing, and others that Sony swooped in...

What if CoD just went agnostic?

It's just hard to imagine Sony pushing both major FPS franchises in the same month tbh...
How is it any different from Microsoft pushing halo and COD the last 10 years?

Besides, since when did Microsoft lose COD?

sjay1994

Here is how the next few months will probably play out

1) From now till late May people will say that the release calender for sony is bleak, nothing is there, holidays are doomed

2) Close to E3 stuff leaks. People look up registered trademarks, threads are made, people are hopeful.

3) E3 conference finishes, response is filled with "sony had no surprises, where was the last guardian"

The Star Wars bundle is going to sell bajillions as it is. A call of duty bundle right next to it will just be icing on the unit sales cake.

Seems Sony learned from the last holiday season and from the Destiny bundle. Looks like they want to keep spikes going throughout the year with a spike in June and in September with Batman / MGSV bundles and will then throw everything at the holidays with Star Wars dominating everything. Actually kind of smart to move Uncharted 4 out of the way and let it dominate early 2016 conversation instead. Star Wars fever is going to be STRONG this holiday season.

No Mans Sky may tickle enough sci-fi people's itches also for it to be a real strong seller. Explore the universe.

aly

Here is how the next few months will probably play out

1) From now till late May people will say that the release calender for sony is bleak, nothing is there, holidays are doomed

2) Close to E3 stuff leaks. People look up registered trademarks, threads are made, people are hopeful.

3) E3 conference finishes, response is filled with "sony had no surprises, where was the last guardian"

Sounds about right. I alsocan't wait for the threads predicting Sony is gonna go all out at E3 and then the E3 thread and ones after complaining about it. People will never learn.

Hugstable

Banned
Sounds about right. I alsocan't wait for the threads predicting Sony is gonna go all out at E3 and then the E3 thread and ones after complaining about it. People will never learn.

Isn't the cycle beautiful?! :p

When is that Fat Princess/diablo style game coming out

Its not AAA but that's one of the things I'm looking forward too

I wouldn't mind another Fat Princess honestly, game was pretty fun back when I played it on Ps3

sjay1994

They'll be riding on third parties support, probably something else revealed at E3.

Sony have been picking their third party titles pretty well. Destiny and watch dogs last year (hyped up games) and MGSV, Battlefront, Batman and No Mans Sky. They are really snatching up those hyped up third party games.

I would be somewhat surprised, but understandalbe if that COD rumor is true about PS backing it, as since they are the majority holder of current gen console sales, those big franchises might want to give incentive to a larger audience.

I also wonder if AC will try to go back to sony as well this year. We don't know what the sony ubisoft game is this year, since Division and tom clancy in general is usually backed by MS, and I doubt ubi is going to put all their eggs in the MS basket this year.

sjay1994

This might sound weird, but I fucking hate when things leak. I want to go into E3 as blind as possible.

Luke_Wal

What's this about Call of Duty switching to PlayStation co-marketing? A Google showed nothing on it.... Where's this coming from?

Am I allowed to say that both will probably have a pretty decent holiday and we don't know much about either line up yet before e3? Or does one have to "win"?

Hugstable

Banned
You're in luck...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/12/06/fat-princess-adventures-announced-for-ps4/

FPA-Ann-PSX.jpg

No ETA though.

It was playable at Taipei game show, I'll find the video later.

Here
http://youtu.be/k2CJb_zXnDg

Yoooo wtf! Aww man this is a surprise enough for me :3

Edit: okay this is legit great. Perfect game for me and my bro since we tend to play alot of coop rpg together (Diablo 3: UEE, MonHun4, Destiny-never again). I'm loving the look of this

Luke_Wal

Am I allowed to say that both will probably have a pretty decent holiday and we don't know much about either line up yet before e3? Or does one have to "win"?

No. You are either all the way in one camp or you are not commenting on the forum at all. Nothing less than pure extremism will be tolerated here.

Welfare

I don't think Sony has that COD, didn't Microsoft resign a contract with Activision a game or two ago?

I think with Ghosts they did. Activision probably had a clause where they could pull out if they felt Xbox wouldn't be the console where CoD could get the most sales.

The thing is, though, the PS4 doesn't necessarily need to win the holiday season. It just needs to not get outsold by ~600K again.

Hugstable

Banned

I'm with you, I feel both will have their good holidays games and good sales each, don't see why everything is always needed to be some much of a competition. The way I see it, if we get games that we enjoy, no matter the system, we've already won. I'm gonna be winning once I get to play that Fat Princess Adventures!

None of those games are big. In fact all of those games can be considered niche.

Niche like Bloodborne was being called out from the beginning right? riiight? ;)

Just because you don't think they are good AAA games doesn't means other people don't. Remember games sell by word of mouth if I say to my friends Persona 5 is awesome they will buy it.

BokehKing

Banned
The thing is, though, the PS4 doesn't necessarily need to win the holiday season. It just needs to not get outsold by ~600K again.
That can't be helped if Microsoft fire sales again. The thing about Sony selling so many units, Microsoft is in the position of picking up easy sales from people who already own ps4's and wii-u's.

aly

Isn't the cycle beautiful?! :p

Yes, the disappointment and unrealistic expectations are delicious, especially when it's whining over letting third parties on the stage. It's like those other shows don't even matter
This might sound weird, but I fucking hate when things leak. I want to go into E3 as blind as possible.

I agree, for example Street fighter and Bloodborne would've been the best surprises without leaks.

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that, when people talk about sales in this thread, they're forgetting the PS4 is sold worldwide, not just in North America. Halo sales in Europe are quite mediocre, same with Gears. They won't do much for Xbox One outside of the US. Sony will be fine.

That can't be helped if Microsoft fire sales again. The thing about Sony selling so many units, Microsoft is in the position of picking up easy sales from people who already own ps4's and wii-u's.

It's a two-way street. Sony can also position itself to pick up sales from people who already have XBO's. This is especially true considering the PS4 has yet to receive its first price cut.

chadskin

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that, when people talk about sales in this thread, they're forgetting the PS4 is sold worldwide, not just in North America. Halo sales in Europe are quite mediocre, same with Gears. They won't do much for Xbox One outside of the US. Sony will be fine.

I think it's just because NA is really the only contested region where it's a close fight, everywhere else this gen is basically over for MS.

I think it's just because NA is really the only contested region where it's a close fight, everywhere else this gen is basically over for MS.

True, but the discussion on here would have an uninformed person think Xbox One is much more competitive than it is actually is. Close in US, but get outsold 2:1 overall is huge discrepancy from the narrative being told in most discussion. I think it is intentionally misleading.

Servbot24

Banned

I doubt anyone who only owns a PS4 right now is really itching to get a One. Usually people buy their second console deeper into the generation and when there are more exclusives worth buying for.

True enough, but I still think the wider picture should be looked at I guess. I also think theres a chance we'll get at least one AAA game revealed for PS4 at E3 and have it release by December. It is not unprecedented.

I don't think Sony has that COD, didn't Microsoft resign a contract with Activision a game or two ago?
Me neither. There's no way Microsoft won't respond to Sony's aggressive marketing deals with 3rd party studios. Marketing deals are important to Microsoft just like how they are to Sony and Microsoft will definitely push them as much as Sony does.

Right now, we know they have Ratchet and Clank coming, but I REALLY hope Sony has more up its sleeve than just that.

Hopefully E3 will set things right again.

Me neither. There's no way Microsoft won't respond to Sony's aggressive marketing deals with 3rd party studios. Marketing deals are important to Microsoft just like how they are to Sony and Microsoft will definitely push them as much as Sony does.

No, I hope Microsoft keeps pushing for exclusives instead of marketing deals. That's the way to win back sales when you're in second place. Sony proved that with the PS3. That COD marketing money could be better spent on funding a new Perfect Dark, for example.

No, I hope Microsoft keeps pushing for exclusives instead of marketing deals. That's the way to win back sales when you're in second place. Sony proved that with the PS3. That COD marketing money could be better spent on funding a new Perfect Dark, for example.

They can have both though, if Perfect Dark isn't coming (and its not atm) then its because Rare don't want to do it not because they spent its money on 3rd party marketing deals.

They'll get to it eventually but I think MS are investing in IPs as it is, E3/Gamescom will be good for that, presumably.

For the most part Sony developed their own exclusives for Ps3. If that's the sort of thing you're referring to (rather than Microsoft just buying multiplatform games), then I agree that's the best approach.

Top Bottom