• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What fictional character death phased you the most?

Khoryos

From The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett:

Granny Weatherwax

I was legit shook for hours afterwards - hell, I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Ecotic

Samurai Jack:
Ashi. She had the most tragic arc imaginable, then dies after helping to defeat Aku and after finding happiness. And poor Jack, having fought valiantly for 50 years and is denied the woman he loves. I'm still hurt over it.

Berserk. You all know what.

We're done here. Nothing else comes close.

The Eclipse
was such a surge of intense, 'OMG WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL IS HAPPENING?!?' set of emotions all at once! : (

It hits you in the face like a ton of bricks. I even knew it was coming - and I was still completely shook for days.

Dizzy-4U

iDUmmDT.jpg

Chrno Crusade

Absolutely devastated. It stayed with me for a couple of weeks.

Gurren Lagann

What the hell man. I was just bummed out for every ep after. Which was impressive since I was watching its TV run on the scifi channel.

Optimus Prime... Crushed every kids hearts when he died in Transformers the Movie

It only made me mad, because it was so stupid. Almost as stupid as Rodimus Prime. It really soured an otherwise fun film.

Hyperion series

Aenea

Don't even get me fucking started
I took a 2 month break from reading

Yeah, that was rough.

That "cake" eating scene from Grave of the Fireflies...

Definitely the most disturbed and sick I've ever felt after a movie.

That was a tough one, too.

The Red Wedding in Song of Ice & Fire books.
Ned was bad enough, but Robb dying seemed to leave the books without a protagonist, at first.

Six Feet Under.
Everyone dies in the end. I was actually crying my eyes out during that ending. It's not even a "sad" ending as you see that most characters lead a normal, fulfilling life... but they still have to die in the end. It made me feel so powerless. Kinda reminds you that no matter what kind of happy ending your favorite characters get in any other media, they still die in the end.

The Host (2006)

The daughter's death at the end just destroys me every time. The way her family of losers comes together to rescue her and accomplish the impossible is both hilarious and inspiring but as the father keeps trying to wake her up in disbelief at the end... Man. And the grandpa's death was heartbreaking too.

CloudWolf

The ending of Six Feet Under and
Nate's death a few episodes earlier
broke me.

From Game of Thrones/ASOIAF:

Robb Stark

His death was sad enough regardless but it was everything surrounding it:

-He appeared to be one of the few players who wanted to do right by the people and was entrusted with the power to rule by his people
-He wasn't power hungry, just wanted to bring his father's murderers to justice
-Killed by treachery in a very underhanded way

and then the part that really gets me:
-Once he was killed they mutilate his corpse and his wolf, proceed to parade it around as a final insult.

And then the show added the gut punch of him seeing his wife and unborn child murdered right before it happened.

The series is generally pretty good about showing everyone as flawed to some degree but Robb was a legitimately good dude and had one of the cruelest, most disrespectful deaths.

Eh, he had it coming.

TV show Robb was an idiot. Sure, his death was cruel, but he should've expected that breaking a sacred vow (that he was going to marry one of the Frey girls) and then showing up in their castle with the woman he broke the vow for would have led to some serious reprecussions. Maybe he didn't expect to get killed for it, but he was a massive idiot for not taking precautions.

At least in the book he doesn't bring his new wife along to the Red Wedding.

Persona 4 Golden:

For the short while before it's fixed, nanako.

Danganronpa 2:

Chiaki

RWBY:

Pyrrha. I figured penny might have uploaded her mind or something to back it up but Pyrrha wasn't coming back from that.

Jojo stardust crusaders:

Iggy you were a selfish motherfuker but you didn't deserve to go :( killing dogs is just not okay. Seeing Ice get wrecked was so good.

Kill la kill:

Okay, senketsu didn't wreck me, but it's a shame he had to be disintegrated. I thought he was likable enough, but he didn't really fit into a world without other life fiber based beings.

There's definitely more but I can't remember right now. Partly in books and shows, but moreso in games. You know a character did their job in pissing you off when you don't utilise a forgiveness based option if you're offered it.

Spladam

The Wire
Wallace

You caught me off guard right in the feels man. Also,
Bodie
and
Omar
, especially
Bodie.
You died on your own terms man.

Came to post Logan:
My childhood died again with the two deaths in that movie. It all ended on film. So many memories died with them.

And last, Witcher 3,
Vesemir
. The time of the
Witcher
ended with him.

Optimus Prime... Crushed every kids hearts when he died in Transformers the Movie
My friend told me about it before I got a chance to watch the movie. I was crushed for weeks. It would be another decade before I could get over my anger enough to watch the movie.

_Rob_

Red Dead Redemption,
John Marston

In hindsight it was to be expected given the character arc and the scenes building up to it. But I was so caught in the moment and it was rather unexpected, especially as to my knowledge
R* had never killed off the main character before
. It was a moment that had me place down the controller and contemplate what had happened for a few minutes.

Of course then came
WORK YA DAMN NAG
and I was left feeling a little disappointed that I hadn't saved earlier and could
no longer play as John.

xrnzaaas

Also from Buffy but in my case it was
Buffy's mom. What was shocking was how non-supernatural was the death and how Buffy was helpless to do anything. The entire episode was very grim, they could've renamed it as a Six Feet Under episode and no one would notice.

Also from Buffy but in my case it was
Buffy's mom. What was shocking was how non-supernatural was the death and how Buffy was helpless to do anything. The entire episode was very grim, they could've renamed it as a Six Feet Under episode and no one would notice.

Yeah, it was a devastating episode, especially as this was back when you were not spoiled to hell and back.

erawsd

I don't think it's really a spoiler but ..

Pet Cemetary
The little boy that gets run over by the truck. I saw that movie right when my parents were starting to trust me to cross the street alone and I went from being excited about my new found freedom to fuckin horrified.

Childhood's End.
The whole planet earth and the human race gone. And the last man watching it happned

Depressed me for a week.

Might not be how its intended, but I always took it as humanity becoming a part of something more, which I think is beautiful

Danganronpa 2
Chiaki Nanami
Namely because I was playing the game during a real rough time in my life and it kinda sent me over the edge. It's what made me realize I needed to get help
Danganronpa 2 -
Chiaki. You could kind of see it coming but it was still pretty crushing to watch it happen. Being forced to watch that trainwreck was... well, awful.
Came in here to post this. Even after all this time,
I still can't bring myself to rewatch her execution. Where as I've watched all the others like 10+ times each.

Also want to give a mention to basically the entire cast of Trillion: GoD, but particularly
Fegor and Elma. All of the main deaths were horrifying, but in their cases the close familial element + writing made them even harder to stomach.

Jonogunn

Setsuko
- Grave of The Fireflies

I'm trying to bring myself to rewatch this movie (haven't seen it in ~15 years now I think) but it aint easy. The only film that makes me feel this way.

I also wrote a bunch of paragraphs regarding another character, but decided against it. I'd rather not spoil that show for anyone in any way. It also has something to do with children and war, and it's one of the best shows to ever tackle that subject.

This one is so rough my mind automatically blocks me from thinking about it

Zen Aku

Not sure if anyone mentioned but...

Fullmetal Alchemist
Maes Hughes
His death hit me like a truck to the heart. I didn't expect it and especially with how much he loves his family. Damn it hurts bad.

Feep

Banned
The main death in Gurren Lagann and the main death in the Force Awakens both got me pretty hard. Also Angel's big mid-Season 5 death.

Hanso

Dark Tower

Everyone getting picked by Death one by one when at the end only Oy is left and then also dies after Odetta left.

But I think Eddy got me the most. Was riding the subway and listening to the audiobook... tears man.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Series finale of Six Feet Under. I have never sobbed that hard during a TV show.

There were also a couple in The Big C that destroyed me.

ironmang

Breaking Bad

Really anybody who didn't deserve it. Just the way the music was handled and the reactions immediately following the deaths (especially reactions by Jesse) had a huge impact on me. Some of these characters weren't even major or even just introduced during that episode. Still had a sinking feeling in my stomach. Can't think of any show before or since that hit me hard that many times.

Sopranos

I'm assuming he dies in the end of the finale. Definitely was stunned even though I knew that was the "end" going in. The abruptness of it all caught me off guard. Still my favorite final scene of any show.

brian577

Banned
Might not be how its intended, but I always took it as humanity becoming a part of something more, which I think is beautiful

The only ones that became something more were creepy children that seemed devoid of any humanity. The real humans (save one) were all dead

Bombless

Gundam SEED
Nicol's death was pretty brutal, he gets cut in half by an anti-ship beam sword but slowly enough to see it coming and not being fully cut through so he lives a few seconds with the beam inside him.

Also Mwu's death hit me hard because he was the coolest dude on the show. The one natural that makes the impossible possible,
in more ways than one.

MrBadger

Hank
from Breaking bad.
He deserves to win, damnit.

Also, this might be an odd choice but the death in Bridge to Terabithia cut pretty deep because I didn't see it coming at all. I was expecting a kiddies fantasy movie, not a movie about
a child losing his only friend.

BeeDog

The Shield
Lem, of course. :(

The Sopranos
Adriana was mentioned, a real gut-punch. Bobby's death too. Tracee's death was also bad; while she was an extremely minor character, the brutal and ruthless way she dies amplifies it.

Animals of Farthing Wood:
The Hedgehogs.
Probably the first time I ever seriously confronted death. It was avoidable. The male got too scared, panicked and froze on the motorway. The partner chooses to die with her husband rather than go on without him. They curl up as the lorry approaches...

His Dark Materials:
Roger.
He's not the hero, but he matches Lyra's bravery, and fights with her after being kidnapped. The implicit expectation is that they'll both escape and continue their adventures in the second and third books, only for him to be brutally killed after a struggle for the benefit of the villain's plans. It's the sheer coldness, murder not for revenge or hate, but for simple utilitarian calculation, that lingers.

FFVII:
Aeris.
Well, you know this story. In one sense it's unexpected, but in another entirely inevitable, and there's so much that should be said between her and Cloud that never can.

I don't think deaths strongly affected me after I turned 10 or so. Grave of the Fireflies is tragic, but it's the avoidable nature of it that is most affecting. Same with, say,
Lane Pryce's suicide
in Mad Men.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Saving Private Ryan, although maybe not a fictional character, but the death probably was..
the jewish american solider that gets a knife slowly plunged into his chest
. That one seriously messed me up. I think I still have some residual hatred for Orlando Bloom as a result.

opricnik

Banned
what the fuck is point of spoiling every word in your sentence.

jesus keep out movie/game/whatever name in out and thing in spoiler

so hard?

Top Bottom