• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What fictional character death phased you the most?

Ferulci

The Wire:
For some reason, Stringer Bell

Same here it destroyed me. Maybe because he was my favorite character.

Berserk : Needless to say
Soprano :
Tracee . Minor character but the way it happened hurt like a truck.
Death of evangelion :
Asuka
The Shield :
Lem/Vic even though I hated him with the passion of thousand suns
Gantz :
Kato and Kurono GF was so brutal
Mass Effect :
Mordin and Legion

I cannot think of my all time character death I was affected the most by right now, but recently in Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans
Orga's
death really got me. I kind of saw it coming, but man it did not alleviate the impact it gave me.

LogicAirForce

Neo Member
Pet Sematary:
The death of the little boy,Gage. I was about 7 years old when I first watched that movie, and my brother was around the same age as Gage,so the kid's death really hit me hard.To make matters worse, my brother at the time actually looked a lot like Gage, he even had the same blond hair and haircut. Watching that kid get hit by a truck was like watching my brother die and it really messed me up. To this day I still find it difficult to watch that movie, even though my brother is alive and well and fully understands how dangerous it is to run out onto a road lol.

FMA:
Hughes.More specifically his funeral, when his daughter starts asking her mother why he won't wake up. I've never cried so hard at a tv show before.

Kev Kev

Metal Gear Solid V, Ground Zeroes and Peace Walker spoilers!!!

Finding out that Paz was really dead, after watching her die once and come back to life, slayed the hell out of me for multiple reasons. I'd grown really attached to her during PW and watching her explode after jumping from the chopper was rough. Then seeing that she lived through it after TPP released made me breathe a sigh of relief (I lost my mind and my best friend thought I was nuts bc he's not a big MG fan).

Listening to the tapes in PW and TPP, where Paz goes on about how Mother Base was like a big family who had celebrations and birthday gatherings and parties just like any other family, was an absolute joy for me. The part about the play (or was it concert? I can't remember) and them getting ready for that In particular left me feeling all "feels" inside.

I was good about staying away from spoilers in this game. And I'm usually good about paying attention to detail but for some reason I missed all the hints that Paz was still dead and Venom Snake was just having PTSD/hallucinations. So when that final cut scene with her ended and all I saw was Venom standing on an empty platform staring out into the empty ocean... ugh, I didn't cry, but it actually hurt my heart a little bit that she really did die the way she did. Tortured, raped and strapped with a bomb inside of her, then heroically rescued by BB, only to sacrifice herself, saving BB and company in the process... yeah it hit me hard.

Plenty other in gaming that I've had but that one came to mind first.

eso76

I've honestly never felt too torn up over a fictional character's death. But there is one that I know is gonna fucking break me.

Luke Skywalker

I don't know, Luke (we can unspoil it, right ? It's just your assumption) was always SW's weakest character.

Just don't dare touch my boy Chewbacca.

This.

death-of-optimus-prime-o.gif

Also, this should be THE *dead* gif

This one is mine as well.

I'm sure there are others that I'll think of minutes from now, but from Breaking Bad
Mike and Hank both were pretty depressing. In a show about people with no morals, these were my two favorite characters.

Watching Better Call Saul, my respect and admiration for
Mike
is so deep now, I don't know if I can watch his end again in Breaking Bad.

5taquitos

A lot of good ones mentioned. So I'll suggest 1 I've not seen.

Firstly boardwalk empire.

Owens death took me by surprise. Happened off screen and when you see the body it's almost a blink and you'll miss it moment.
I was so pissed at that, I felt they really squandered a badass character.

Spladam

The direwolfs being killed in Game of Thrones pisses me off more than any character death.
Still pisses me off. Nobody mourned them, and they were such a cool element of the story.
Dragonlance Novels.

The Death of Sturm Brightblade was such a poignant literary moment to my young reader self. Looking back at it, his death was a beautiful sacrifice for others, but I was pretty shocked and dismayed at the time.

Later, I felt just the opposite about the death of Tanis Half-Elven. It was random and out of nowhere and meaningless. I know they were trying to make a point about the ever-present nature of death and danger...but it sucked for a central character to go like that.
Damn man, I had forgotten about that, was just hit hard by your post. It's been a little more than 20 years (HOLY FUCKING SHIT) since I read those books as a teen. Those deaths were like loosing friends. I owned the entire series at one point, they had their own bookshelf. Gonna have to go back to those books at some point. Thanks for bringing the names Tannis and Sturm back into my life, but I wish I never uncovered that spoiler, I had forgotten about those tragedies.

It's weird, but
Rocco
's death in The Boondock Saints was terrible to me. He was such a cool character then
Papa Joe just walks in and blasts him with his revolver
like he was nothing.

Also agree with everyone saying
Boromir
from Fellowship, but that's mostly because I have an unhealthy love for
Sean Bean

eso76

From The Stand, the death of
the deaf guy, nick andros
:,(

I was rooting for
Larry Underwood
the whole time but yeah.

When I first read the book I thought the intentionally misleading foreshadowing King had set up
Stu is left behind with a broken leg, "that was the last time they saw him"
was trolling of the finest quality.

The most recent one was just today for me.

Steins;Gate

When Moeka killed Mayuri, shooting her right in front of Okabe.

I was every bit as depressed as I was infuriated, not only because of what happened, but who did it as well. And the thing is, I'm still nowhere near done playing it, having yet to even get a single ending, so I'm already expecting things to only get worse.

Oh man, you're in for a hell of a ride. Steins;Gate on the Vita consumed my life for the duration I was playing it. What an experience.

If I could erase my memories of any game so I could play it again, that'd be it.

Mad Men:
Lane Pryce for sure, but especially how the characters react.

The Sopranos:

Of ALL the characters that have been offed:
Jackie Aprile Jr. He was kind of a dickhead but I am always fascinated by his arc and how Tony wants the best for him especially as a promise to the late Jackie Aprile because he sees Jackie Jr. as the son he wishes AJ was. Jackie Jr. couldn't get his shit together even though he was on a decent path but was too into trying to make a name for himself especially because of Ralph and he goes out in the most pathetic way. Then it leads to a great season three finale.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Game of Thrones:
Ygritte.

Star Trek DS9:
Jadzia, as well as Sisko's pseudo-death.

Babylon 5:
Sheridan.

Final Fantasy 7:
You know.

Mass Effect 3:
Mordin and Anderson.

One Piece

Bellemere, Jaguar D. Saul, Donquixote Rocinante

What a great show this is.

FMA:B

Hughes

This one destroyed me.

Mugsy

Babylon 5:
Sheridan.

That final episode is just an amazing goodbye to Sheridan and to the Babylon 5 station. JMS turning off the lights on the place was a great farewell. And I don't care how ridiculous it is I am glad that Sheridan was picked up by Lorien in the end.

SpartanN92

Banned
Halo
When 343 killed my dream of being able to play classic Bungie Style Halo multiplayer in the Master Chief Collection

Harry Potter
Sirius still tears me up every time

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I was shocked at how much Han Solo's death affected me, since I knew ahead of time. To think he wanted that to happen in 1983.

SpartanN92

Banned
He who? George Lucas?

Harrison Ford... he's never been a fan of the character and was very vocal that Han should have died in Return of the Jedi.

My understanding is he did die in the original draft of the script but Lucas canned the idea mainly to keep Han Solo toy sales up.

Top Bottom