• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

dorkimoe

Finally got around to playing Spiderman 2, love all the suits they added, love the combat still. I hate all the slow missions they added though, i was riding rides at a fair for 30 minutes

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Finished Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare. Pretty mediocre. Story barely made sense. Monsters were boring to fight. Exploring the island and the mansion was pretty good, I'll give it that. Had some mystery to it. But overall, it's a sub par clone of Resident Evil, which I felt Alone in the Dark always to be. It never had any originality.

Alone in the Dark is the reason Resident Evil even exists. If anything, Resident Evil is a higher quality clone of Alone in the Dark, thanks in part to years of improved development. The original Alone in the dark released in '92. The third game released in '95. New Nightmare released in '01.
Resident Evil released in '96.

Mr Hyde

Alone in the Dark is the reason Resident Evil even exists. If anything, Resident Evil is a higher quality clone of Alone in the Dark, thanks in part to years of improved development. The original Alone in the dark released in '92. The third game released in '95. New Nightmare released in '01.
Resident Evil released in '96.

Resident Evil may have been inspired by the original Alone in the Dark (which barely has anything in common except fixed camera angles) but New Nightmare is a straight up rip of the old school RE-games. Resident Evil came with fresh ideas and took it to a whole new level whereas Alone in the Dark was always a sub par franchise devoid of any originality, even from the get go. And the franchise is still lacking its own identity, just look at the modern reboot/remake of Alone in the Dark that recently came out. It's just an inferior game trying to capitalize on Capcoms banging Resident Evil remakes.

Did a modded fire katana run of Resident Evil 3 Remake on Normal. Carlos' counter punches and blade slash combos are absurdly satisfying.
3pcqUY3.png

Alone in the Dark was always a sub par franchise devoid of any originality, even from the get go. And the franchise is still lacking its own identity, just look at the modern reboot/remake of Alone in the Dark that recently came out. It's just an inferior game trying to capitalize on Capcoms banging Resident Evil remakes.
The newest installment is still better than Resident Evil 2 Remake, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2, Resident Evil 3/CV/5/7, etc.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Resident Evil may have been inspired by the original Alone in the Dark (which barely has anything in common except fixed camera angles) but New Nightmare is a straight up rip of the old school RE-games. Resident Evil came with fresh ideas and took it to a whole new level whereas Alone in the Dark was always a sub par franchise devoid of any originality, even from the get go. And the franchise is still lacking its own identity, just look at the modern reboot/remake of Alone in the Dark that recently came out. It's just an inferior game trying to capitalize on Capcoms banging Resident Evil remakes.

Can't agree with that at all. Alone in the Dark 1-3 were amazing games for its time and had a ton of personality and charm to them, with their own unique style. Alone in the Dark's recent remake/reboot was equally as fantastic and does its own thing separate from Resident Evil.

I do agree that New Nightmare was a straight up clone of the RE formula with none of the charm of the original games though.

Podge

Neo Member
This week my wife came up with a neat idea. We each had to choose three games to play on our day off. Each had to be a game we had never started before, and all three for minimum one hour each. I’ll list them below, it was a great idea to start digging into the backlog.

Ok, this is what I’m playing lately:

Switch: TotK, Fire Emblem Engage, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

PS5: Gran Turismo 7, Returnal

Xbox Series S: MLB The Show 24

The three games I started were Fire Emblem Engage, Klonoa 1 HD, and Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster, all three on Switch. Great games.

Top Bottom