• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

dorkimoe

Finally got around to playing Spiderman 2, love all the suits they added, love the combat still. I hate all the slow missions they added though, i was riding rides at a fair for 30 minutes

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Finished Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare. Pretty mediocre. Story barely made sense. Monsters were boring to fight. Exploring the island and the mansion was pretty good, I'll give it that. Had some mystery to it. But overall, it's a sub par clone of Resident Evil, which I felt Alone in the Dark always to be. It never had any originality.

Alone in the Dark is the reason Resident Evil even exists. If anything, Resident Evil is a higher quality clone of Alone in the Dark, thanks in part to years of improved development. The original Alone in the dark released in '92. The third game released in '95. New Nightmare released in '01.
Resident Evil released in '96.

Mr Hyde

Alone in the Dark is the reason Resident Evil even exists. If anything, Resident Evil is a higher quality clone of Alone in the Dark, thanks in part to years of improved development. The original Alone in the dark released in '92. The third game released in '95. New Nightmare released in '01.
Resident Evil released in '96.

Resident Evil may have been inspired by the original Alone in the Dark (which barely has anything in common except fixed camera angles) but New Nightmare is a straight up rip of the old school RE-games. Resident Evil came with fresh ideas and took it to a whole new level whereas Alone in the Dark was always a sub par franchise devoid of any originality, even from the get go. And the franchise is still lacking its own identity, just look at the modern reboot/remake of Alone in the Dark that recently came out. It's just an inferior game trying to capitalize on Capcoms banging Resident Evil remakes.

Did a modded fire katana run of Resident Evil 3 Remake on Normal. Carlos' counter punches and blade slash combos are absurdly satisfying.
cvPM1am.png

Alone in the Dark was always a sub par franchise devoid of any originality, even from the get go. And the franchise is still lacking its own identity, just look at the modern reboot/remake of Alone in the Dark that recently came out. It's just an inferior game trying to capitalize on Capcoms banging Resident Evil remakes.
The newest installment is still better than Resident Evil 2 Remake, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2, Resident Evil 3/CV/5/7, etc.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Resident Evil may have been inspired by the original Alone in the Dark (which barely has anything in common except fixed camera angles) but New Nightmare is a straight up rip of the old school RE-games. Resident Evil came with fresh ideas and took it to a whole new level whereas Alone in the Dark was always a sub par franchise devoid of any originality, even from the get go. And the franchise is still lacking its own identity, just look at the modern reboot/remake of Alone in the Dark that recently came out. It's just an inferior game trying to capitalize on Capcoms banging Resident Evil remakes.

Can't agree with that at all. Alone in the Dark 1-3 were amazing games for its time and had a ton of personality and charm to them, with their own unique style. Alone in the Dark's recent remake/reboot was equally as fantastic and does its own thing separate from Resident Evil.

I do agree that New Nightmare was a straight up clone of the RE formula with none of the charm of the original games though.

Podge

Neo Member
This week my wife came up with a neat idea. We each had to choose three games to play on our day off. Each had to be a game we had never started before, and all three for minimum one hour each. I’ll list them below, it was a great idea to start digging into the backlog.

Ok, this is what I’m playing lately:

Switch: TotK, Fire Emblem Engage, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

PS5: Gran Turismo 7, Returnal

Xbox Series S: MLB The Show 24

The three games I started were Fire Emblem Engage, Klonoa 1 HD, and Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster, all three on Switch. Great games.

Vyse

Gold Member
Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes Wasn’t really feeling it at first, but once I got through the beginning it’s starting to hit. Have Stella Blade staring me down.

Mr Hyde

Fiendlords keep in Chrono Trigger. I just love this game. So much fun and well made. It has aged gracefully. Feels good finally play it as it was intended since last time I gave it a go it I did it on PSX and the load times were bad. Like really really bad.

amigastar

Fiendlords keep in Chrono Trigger. I just love this game. So much fun and well made. It has aged gracefully. Feels good finally play it as it was intended since last time I gave it a go it I did it on PSX and the load times were bad. Like really really bad.
Do you mean the SNES Chrono Trigger? Haven't played it but i'm interested.

amigastar

Steam. Playing it on PC. Snes-version is good but lacks the anime cut scenes that was added in later ports. Although most would say the DS-version is the definitive game.
Dammit, there's a PC/Steam version of Chrono Trigger? Will have to check it out, although i could also play it on DS.

diffusionx

Gold Member
God of War Ragnarok, I feel like this game did not have a long life before the backlash but I think it’s really really good. I also like the story, and smart additions to the combat. Way better sequel than HFW.

I always read this, but I honestly believe it is due to old or flakey PS1 optical drives. I played it on a brand new "PSone" and, yeah, there was a black screen for a moment when going into menu and a brief pause when going into combat, but it wasn't onerous in the slightest. I played through on a SNES as well.

I'm pretty sure I've seen same load times for menus on PS4 and PS5 games.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I always read this, but I honestly believe it is due to old or flakey PS1 optical drives. I played it on a brand new "PSone" and, yeah, there was a black screen for a moment when going into menu and a brief pause when going into combat, but it wasn't onerous in the slightest. I played through on a SNES as well.

I'm pretty sure I've seen same load times for menus on PS4 and PS5 games.

I don't know, the load times were pretty annoying and disrupts the flow of the game. It was coded that way. Same with FF6 on PSX. Even going into menus took a couple of seconds. Doesn't have anything to do with the optical drives. This guy breaks it down pretty well.

xrnzaaas

I've finally finished & platinumed AC Mirage and it's a 7/10 in my book, I wouldn't be so harsh as some reviewers. The biggest issue with the game is the parkour system which can be infuriating when you're trying to perform a simple move (drop down, head through an open window etc.) and Basim refuses or acts like an idiot. I'm glad it's not a difficult game so it doesn't become a life threatening problem. Oh yeah, speaking of difficulty - the gadgets are insanely op. Using a trap or a smoke bomb allows to kill even 5 guys in a row without breaking a sweat.
I liked the compact nature (100% in around 28 hours) and I loved Baghdad. My capture folder is loaded with screenshots. The story is okayish, I like how the game tried to encouraged me to be stealthy and to give me options how to infiltrate larger locations. The music was also incredibly good, much better and more memorable than in the last 2 AC games. I only got slightly annoyed with one of the combat themes late in the game which kept coming back too often.

Last edited:
Started playing Dishonored 2. Seems a little less.. put together than the first one. A little stilted and the narrative not quite as coherent, though that's not the right word. Seems a little forced. Not far in though will give it more time. Loved the first game.

It
Started playing Dishonored 2. Seems a little less.. put together than the first one. A little stilted and the narrative not quite as coherent, though that's not the right word. Seems a little forced. Not far in though will give it more time. Loved the first game.

D2 is fantastic! Better in almost every way than the first except for the story, which isn't bad it's just a fairly basic plot.

PS- Microsoft should be updating all these "old" Bethesda games for 60 fps! It's crazy that they're not. GamePass has ruined them in many ways. They were doing great work afa BC goes but now that GamePass is a thing they feel like "we're already giving people these games so no point in putting resources into updating them". It sucks. This game would be so much better at 60 fps and it's already 4k.

Last edited:
I've finally finished & platinumed AC Mirage and it's a 7/10 in my book, I wouldn't be so harsh as some reviewers. The biggest issue with the game is the parkour system which can be infuriating when you're trying to perform a simple move (drop down, head through an open window etc.) and Basim refuses or acts like an idiot. I'm glad it's not a difficult game so it doesn't become a life threatening problem. Oh yeah, speaking of difficulty - the gadgets are insanely op. Using a trap or a smoke bomb allows to kill even 5 guys in a row without breaking a sweat.
I liked the compact nature (100% in around 28 hours) and I loved Baghdad. My capture folder is loaded with screenshots. The story is okayish, I like how the game tried to encouraged me to be stealthy and to give me options how to infiltrate larger locations. The music was also incredibly good, much better and more memorable than in the last 2 AC games. I only got slightly annoyed with one of the combat themes late in the game which kept coming back too often.

They really need to do something though to improve the gameplay loop. I got Mirage because I was excited to see a return to the 1 city type "old school" AC. While it has a little of that feel the gameplay feels more like Odyssey and Valhalla than say, Unity or Syndicate.

Because its the same engine as Valhalla the parkour still has that automatic climbing feel. The combat has no weight. The stealth has been a joke in these games as far as I cam remember with the whole "whistle and wait until they come to you so you can 1 button insta kill them". Stealth is too easy in all the games. That's not fun any more.

They need to change the engine and improve the core gameplay loop.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I thought the first game was put together a lot more methodically. Dishonored 2’s levels were much larger, so I was less compelled to take advantage of each situation.

sb5clyM.jpeg

Haven’t played this since it came out on original Xbox. It’s an improvement over 1 in some ways and a step back in others. Still, I feel it holds up well if you can look past some of the archaic gameplay elements.
Really liked Shenmue II at the time, especially over the first in some ways but it's been so long. I should revisit the series. I remember playing on a euro copy for DC that I still have. Never tried III. Scared to. 😆

SpiceRacz

Really liked Shenmue II at the time, especially over the first in some ways but it's been so long. I should revisit the series. I remember playing on a euro copy for DC that I still have. Never tried III. Scared to. 😆

Yea I’ve been avoiding playing Shenmue III, but also avoiding replaying I & II since I got them both at launch. Mostly because I wanted to preserve those memories and feelings of playing them 20+ years ago. They’re both surprisingly repayable for me since there’s been such a long gap of time. Between both games, I’d say I prefer the first. The world feels so lived-in and cozy compared to 2. I’m going to give 3 a shot once I wrap up on 2 though. I read somewhere it can take over 30 hours to finish, which is fucking crazy.

xrnzaaas

They really need to do something though to improve the gameplay loop. I got Mirage because I was excited to see a return to the 1 city type "old school" AC. While it has a little of that feel the gameplay feels more like Odyssey and Valhalla than say, Unity or Syndicate.

Because its the same engine as Valhalla the parkour still has that automatic climbing feel. The combat has no weight. The stealth has been a joke in these games as far as I cam remember with the whole "whistle and wait until they come to you so you can 1 button insta kill them". Stealth is too easy in all the games. That's not fun any more.

They need to change the engine and improve the core gameplay loop.
Yeah it should be tougher, I tried to limit using whistle to retain some level of challenge. Once you know how it works a large location filled with enemies stops being a problem. Add gadgets to that and you're basically playing with their lives.

I'm a bit ashamed I still have Unity in my backlog. I didn't play it on launch because of the performance issues and I never found enough time to go back on PS5.

Last edited:

Don Carlo

God of War Ragnarok, I feel like this game did not have a long life before the backlash but I think it’s really really good. I also like the story, and smart additions to the combat. Way better sequel than HFW.
Sorry, what backlash? All that gibberish that the OG Kratos is better than the new one?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't know, the load times were pretty annoying and disrupts the flow of the game. It was coded that way. Same with FF6 on PSX. Even going into menus took a couple of seconds. Doesn't have anything to do with the optical drives. This guy breaks it down pretty well.

Oh my god I'm having nightmares about the PS1 load times on Chrono Trigger :(

Even with emulation, they're unbearably long for a game that had instantaneous transitions on the SNES. How they fucked it up so bad is beyond me, especially considering if you put the disc in your PC (back when PC's came with disc trays), it's just running an SNES ROM with a modified emulator.

The other part of the compilation, FFIV, fortunately did not have any of those issues.

Kazdane

At the moment I'm playing Asterigos: Curse of the Stars. It's an easy souls-like (you can spam attack on pretty much anything, and a few abilities can melt even bosses), after beating AC: Mirage (loved it) and Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (also really enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to the third title in that saga). After Asterigos, I haven't decided yet, but I'm thinking I'll probably get on the Persona train and check out Persona 5.

RAIDEN1

Having skipped EA's Jedi the fallen order, I am tempted to check out Jedi Survivor on Gamepass, though how much better it would be than Force Unleashed, I am not sure...but it is as close to as getting a demo for it as you can get with it being on Gamepass...(though I still have to complete Force unleashed 1 and 2 for that matter)

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Oh my god I'm having nightmares about the PS1 load times on Chrono Trigger :(

Even with emulation, they're unbearably long for a game that had instantaneous transitions on the SNES. How they fucked it up so bad is beyond me, especially considering if you put the disc in your PC (back when PC's came with disc trays), it's just running an SNES ROM with a modified emulator.

The other part of the compilation, FFIV, fortunately did not have any of those issues.

Yeah I don't know how Square managed to fuck that up. FF 6 was the same. Ruined the games. Their SNES counterparts were superior in every way to the PS1 ports. Thankfully the modern ports restores the games to their rightful glory 🙏 the pixel remaster of FF6 is very good and faithful to the original game. I hope Square does something similar for Chrono Trigger. Or even better, an ambitious HD 2D remake in the vein of Star Ocean Second story.

Expecting to finish FF7 Rebirth today, near the end of chapter 13 (I think) and finally getting tired of it. Did all the sidequests, many of the minigames, 100% each region's intel. Love the game, and while the combat and UI took a step back from Remake, basically everything else was ramped up to give the sense of scale and openness I was looking for. This is the type of grand RPG I want going forward (maybe with true turn based combat though).

Yea I’ve been avoiding playing Shenmue III, but also avoiding replaying I & II since I got them both at launch. Mostly because I wanted to preserve those memories and feelings of playing them 20+ years ago. They’re both surprisingly repayable for me since there’s been such a long gap of time. Between both games, I’d say I prefer the first. The world feels so lived-in and cozy compared to 2. I’m going to give 3 a shot once I wrap up on 2 though. I read somewhere it can take over 30 hours to finish, which is fucking crazy.
I liked aspects about both of them. In my memory the sequel made strides in terms of gameplay and maybe even a slightly stronger narrative (really very little happens in the first game) but I think I agree the world was a bit better in the first because you spent so much time there (versus if I recall moving forward to different locations in II .. maybe). I could be wrong about any of these assessments considering it's been over two decadss since I've played either (wtf). Great games at the time for sure and not sure how clear my memories are. I very often revisit old and favorite games but I've never set foot back in to the world of Shenmue despite having positive feelings overall. Maybe soon.

Last edited:
I got Pure Crosswords for Switch for 2.99. I wish Big N still made Crosswords. But no we get everybody 1-2 switch.

Gonna hook my Series X finally which ive had in a box since black friday and try to speed through Robocop the next few days.

My unopened ps5 is going to get lonely. (Got it 350 on BF at target knowing it'd be a while til i got to it)

Top Bottom