• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Blades of time

Have been playing this as of recent and its actually pretty solid. It does some really neat things with a time rewind mechanic which is utilized both in-and-out of combat. Was a bit tricky getting used to using it properly at first. You can overwhelm larger enemies with time clones/mob of yourself turning yourself into a literal "one-man army". The worldbuilding/art direction is actually pretty well executed too. Its pretty unique and stands out.

Cyberpunkd

Shipbreakers

Then Citizen Sleeper

Then Chorus

All niche, all really well designed games. Don't have time and energy for AAA slog.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I just finished Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones. After replaying entire trilogy back to back, I still feel this is the weakest entry, at least in my personal ranking

I really liked the setting, Babylon was a nice change of pace after Azad and Island of Time. Platforming sections were also great, easily the best in these three games, I also liked boss fights and chariot segments. But I didn't enjoyed the story. That's the biggest issue, I think. This game really lacked its own identity, which wasn't a case with Sands of Time and Warrior Within as instead of trying to be its own thing, it was mostly rethreading Sands of Time. I also didn't liked Dark Prince segments as I felt they were very inconsequential and his story beats were mostly there to lay out Prince's internal change. Anyhow, I had a lot of fun with replaying this trilogy

The next game I've started is Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love. I'm in mood for some point'n'click games on Steam Deck and this one seems nice, at least at a first glance

Stratostar

Holy shit, Dead Space 2.
Only on Chapter 4 but so far I can't imagine a more perfect sequel. It does place more of an emphasis on action compared to DS1, but that's not to its detriment in the slightest. It still has plenty of tension and stellar pacing to boot. It's literally RE4 in a cosmic horror setting, even more so than the first game.
The Ishimura was cool but I think
the Sprawl
tops it. Such a sick setting. I've been taking my time and enjoying checking out the details of the various shops and futuristic advertisements throughout the environments. It reminds me a lot of my first time exploring Rapture. Truly exceptional world-building.

Had this one in my backlog for a while but I was considering just waiting for the possible DS2 remake, boy am I glad I didn't. Playing late at night in the dark on my couch, Series X controller in hand, with headphones (Windows Sonic works a treat for this game, very good spatial audio) is still unbelievably immersive. Visually speaking, the only thing that detracts are the few low resolution textures but other than that, on max settings, 4K/60fps it holds up just fine.

Time for bed now, can't wait to play more.

For whatever reason I booted up Age of Empires Definitive Edition and I was enjoying playing through the campaigns and then my daughter saw me playing and of course we have to play multiplayer. But I don't have the definitive edition on her Steam account as well since you need to buy two copies for that so we were trying to play the old one Age of Empires gold, but for some reason we couldn't get the games to connect over LAN. So instead we started playing Age of Empires 2 even though we really just want to play the first game.

But of course so we've been on a bender basically playing a lot of Age of Empires 2 multiplayer and I've been playing the campaign for both games and so has she.

Such classic and timeless games that I always return to time and time again.

But while doing this I realized I must have bought Age of Empires 3 at some point on sale and booted it up and figured I would give it a try just to see but what in the world... The visuals are downright awful I really hate the style they've chosen to go with. I just had to turn it off I couldn't give it too much time and then it started awarding me off this stuff like avatars and s*** like that.. I just turned it off and uninstalled it. I will stick to AoE and AoE II.

Impotaku

Going to be spending a good portion of this easter weekend on dragon quest X offline, levelling up has been a slow affair as i could never find a decent area that had enemies that gave a good chunk of exp and were low enough level that they didn't one hit kill my team and also have lots appear in one battle. Found a little valley where metal knight slimes live & i'm quickly putting them on the endangered species list for the amount i'm decimating as they always seem to appear in groups of 2 to 4 lol.

When buying stuff in this version you get given lottery tickets but i was buggered if i could find where to use them till today while on lunchbreak at work i found a counter that accepted them some of the prizes were pretty good. 4th place gets me a special orb that when consumed it doubles gold dropped for 30 mins. 6th place prize is even better weirdly it's metallic water which for 30 mins will make metal slimes appear more frequently.
rNVRhmW.jpg

Just look at the mass of exp sat there just jiggling away in front of me.
qX6rbUM.jpg

Well that was until i converted them all into numbers just look at that point haul i'm jumping levels like mad. Still have no clue where to go next as the story is now branching off into 5 paths but least i don't have to worry about getting to a new area and instantly been one hit killed by a new monster.
ww22JoU.jpg

The amount of game in there is crazy and i am only on version 1 with a stupid amount of playtime already passed 100+ hours according to ingame timer but it's been real fun so far. Still on the hunt for those elusive king metal slimes.

engstra

Played through Prodeus and holy shit this game is awesome! Feels so good to mow down a group of enemies and the artstyle is fantastic.

Trying out Sifu and liking what I'm seeing so far. The upgrade system is not the clearest but starting to pick it up. I'm really bad at fighting games so I do fear that I will not be able to reach the end of this one though.

Mr Hyde

Continuing on in The Ascent. So far it's one of the best games I've played this generation. It has that killer app quality to it. It's games like these I bought a PS5 for. It feels like a modern day Syndicate with great action, awesome sci-fi setting, compelling story and an insane attention to detail. It plays so smooth and looks so good. It's a world you don't really want to leave. Very, very impressed with this game.

Dis

Finished Final Fantasy VII Rebirth.
10/10

Its my bday today and i ordered, Infinite Wealth and AC6. The postal service send me a mail that my package has arrived.

AND IT DIDNT.

So im playing Unicorn Overlord demo..
Its good better then i thought.

Finally playing Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for the first time. Switch version. I suck, but it's good stuff.

I have no shortage of DK platformers to play after I beat this. 😎 I've only played DKC 1.

Duchess

Gone back to No Man's Sky, to try out the new content that's been added.

I think after almost 8 year, I'm getting over the game now; I actually find that the combat is by far the weakest part of it, and some of the new additions force you to partake.

Dazraell

I just started Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (HD version). It isn't as bad as I thought it will be, but it is painfully mediocre so far. Solomon's Fortress is a very bland setting and doesn't have it's own unique flair as settings from previous games. The story feels like a filler. Combat is very simplified. While having to fight with so many opponents at once is a quite interesting idea, it doesn't work in practice as these fights aren't fun nor exciting, they're just there. Platforming elements are nice and new powers are intruiguing addition, but they don't change the gameplay loop in any meaningful way

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Reached the Mountaintops of the Giants in Elden Ring.

It's getting a bit exhausting again because at times it feels like the normal enemies are now almost harder than the bosses... But by now I don't know where else to go so I guess that is the point. Only other areas that are left are the North of Caelid, Azula and the small part of Siofra River with Mogh - and those areas are all equally as hard.
Not really sure if From made the right call here. I mean, everything is still doable but when normal enemies take this long to beat, all that makes me is to try and skip every single of of them...

Last edited:

Fredrik

Built a living room PC and that has ramped up my gaming a ton.

Currently playing:

Horizon Forbidden West - Amazing visuals and plays great. Currently going through side quests around Chainscrape to ramp up my skills for a main mission with a higher recommended level.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Made for the couch, looks and plays like a dream on the PC, only played it on the Xbox One previously. Absolutely loving it after getting used to the sloooow speed. Still in first summer camp.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade - Still think it’s mashy but plays better this time after getting better at using companions. Playing around with mods too, Tifa is hotttt

Hollow Knight - Going through it for the kids. One of my favorite games of all time, it’s one of those rare games where the gameplay is basically pure perfection.

Ori and the Blind Forest - Just started another playthrough for the kids. Another favorite if mine. We’re going through Ginso Tree now. Such a beautiful game. Can’t wait for Moon’s Wicked soon, should be a spectacular game.

Elden Ring - My all-time favorite after Super Metroid which is nostalgia related. I’ve never fully dropped it since it’s release. Can’t say enough good things about it. Doing an astrologer playthrough right now.

Stellar Blade - Playing the demo. Spectacular visuals, amazing design on characters and enemies, superb effects and polish, a bit mashy and easy but plays well enough that I’ll get it on Steam whenever it’ll come there. No console purchase though, deliberate choice since I’m pulling out of that side of the hobby.

BigLee74

I'm playing control on series X and honestly I'm not getting what the hype was 3 4 hours in and it's just mediocre at best
Started brightly, got old fast, ending up being quite the slog. Max Payne, Quantum Break, Alan Wake - all infinitely better.

Currently playing through Stalker (shadow of chernobyl). Loving it. Defo showing its age (lack of hit animations/feedback being particularly annoying), but still great. Already much deeper into it than I got when playing it on the PC way back when it first came out.

And Tomb Raider 3 remastered. Only ever played this one once, so it’s like a new game again for me. Loving this one too!

Impotaku

Finally finished DQX offline, worked out where to use the coins that open the magic labyrinth the metal king coin opens up a battle full of metal slimes including his majesty himself. You can level up a level 1 character right to level 32 in a single battle it's insane & very useful to get a new job strong enough to go out adventuring as the monsters in some areas really don't mess about they will one hit wipe out your team if you are not prepared. The other coin i found opens a battle with gold metal slimes including that not often seen gold diamond this battle generates money instead of exp so a useful battle to do especially if you activate a genkidama to double the gold won.
YHp1bwb.jpg

spT9fj0.jpg

The final battle was pretty tough as it's multi phase and my characters were a bit too low level so i spent today levelling eveyone up and getting supplies & as good level armour & weapons as i could find/craft.

Have been careful to avoid boss spoilers.
iqf4Vgf.jpg

baWmPOc.jpg

pyMknca.jpg

This is the most evil thing, the entire game is in japanese till you get to the end credits and then, here you go lets have them all in full english. I swear they did it on purpose to twist the knife lol.
zu9tgsi.jpg

So now i'm spat back out the evil black hole and back to normal after saving the world, been given a spell to take my character and it's levels into the online version of the game but not unless i cough up some money to get a vpn so the game will let me play. However there is DLC for the 2nd part of the offline game story so i think i'll get that and see how big the world & story gets expanded as there's parts all over that are locked off or shops not ready yet. Still haven't found the key to open black chests yet either and there's hundreds of them all over the place. Been a hell of a lot of fun though playing even if the language barrier is a bit tricky in parts.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Played quite a lot of South Park Stick of Truth yesterday/today. Level 7 now.

Game's hilarious. Feels like you are actually playing a legit episode of the series. The "gaming" part of it is a bit weak though. Overall it seems just way too easy so far. May change later on but I somewhat doubt it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Oneechanbara Origins: It’s…ok. Pretty braindead and graphics are a mixed bag. But I guess the real reason to play is the T&A. Fun factor is a zero if I’m being honest.

To my surprise Nexus mods hardly has any mods for this, when I swear it did before.
I might have to find another trustworthy mod site so I can give her some big bazooms.

R6Rider

Gold Member
A mix of Helldivers 2, BF2042, and The Finals for online and multiplayer.

For single player it's mostly been Dragon's Dogma 2, Hitman, and GT7 VR.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Took a break from Dragon’s Dogma 2 for Stellar Blade’s demo. I’ve been playing a lot of Unicorn Overlord and it’s a lot of fun. I’ve put 20 hours into it and I still have the same enjoyment I did when I first started. Played Eddy Gordo’s combo trials in Tekken 8. I watched my spouse get destroyed by the first boss in Rise of the Ronin. lol That made me want to play it down the road. He just picks you up and shoots a bunch of bullets. I watched my wife play God of War Valhalla DLC. She did all the parts, which was cool to see.

Stratostar

Still blasting through Dead Space 2.
Hoping to finish it by next week when my physical deluxe edition of Pacific Drive arrives.

Reactions: WoJ

Hydroxy

Dead island 2 and the new Alone in the Dark. DI2 is okay but quite average and AITD is okay too but a bit boring still very early in the game.

Gandih42

Finished Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed expansion over Easter and did all the superbosses on Hard. Had to outlevel the second last one to beat it, but otherwise did them all on par. Extremely tough but fun challenges the lot of them that really forced you to break the combat system as much as possible.

Also got all Affinity stuff at 100%, such a great way to condense the main game into a 25h greatest-hits expansion. Just an absolute banger of an expansion - just like expansions used to be back in the day. Amazing soundtrack too, really fired me up to learn some of the guitar and piano parts.

After more than 150 hours in Aionios I'm thinking of pacing myself out with a smaller indie game before jumping straight into my next behemoth JRPG fix (Rebirth). Strongly considering Sabel and Rollerdrome which were both recently on PS+, while still doing some extra cleanup in XB3 (have yet to do any of the main game superbosses).

ssringo

Imagine if Clock Tower (SNES) was actually an action RPG. Very much a love letter to classic survival horror without the associated jank. The combat isn't deep and fast but there's a good bit of variety through weapons and items and replayability due to the roguelike design. I'm not big on "rogue" in general but I'm digging it in this one.

It's an early access game BUT as noted by the devs in the EA section the game can be finished, has several endings and NG+. Leaves EA on April 5th.

It's also runs well on the Deck. Dunno why it doesn't have a compatibility tag.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Still Stick of Truth.

Just arrived in Canada. Man, I kinda expected this to be crazy but they really went all in. In terms of writing this is one of the most insane games I’ve played. What the hell?

Is the sequel just as crazy?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Currently hunting rabbits in Kingdom Come Deliverance on Switch. It’s a damn good port. Wish I could say the same about my archery skills…
IMG-5945.jpg
One of my favorite RPGs, have fun!

Just one tip: make sure to train with Captain Bernard ASAP, learn the parry moves and get some levels in combat skills. You'll REALLY need them, trust me.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night really does not want me to get the Muramasa before the inverted castle even after hours of trying...

Update: Muramasa finally dropped and is now leveled to 50 ATK. Off to the inverted castle.
alucard-castlevania-sotn-bat-form.gif

Last edited:

WoJ

I've more or less paused my FFXV playthrough to focus on FFVII:Rebirth. Currently I'm in Chapter 7 but went back to clear all the side stuff in the Grasslands and Junon region. The game is just a joy to play.

I've also got a more casual playthrough of Metroid Dread going. Usually just play it when on the couch with the family.

And splitting my sports game time between MLB the Show 20 and MLB the Show 23.

Top Bottom