• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Channel Awesome?

Fat4all

Banned
I don't really watch NC, but aren't the shows more sketch heavy as to avoid copyright strikes or sommit?

Lindsay Ellis is my jam, her original analysis stuff and Loose Cannons are great.

MechaX

Wasn't his brother (who was a cop) also caught up in some kinda controversy where he was suspended for shooting someone yet still appeared on Spoony's videos during his suspension looking normal and unaffected by his actions?

Well...

The first thing you need to know about this story and his brother is that his direct boss was Joe Arpaio.

There are still stories of it up, but what happened was that his brother was trying to apprehend a subject because said subject got into a domestic dispute and allegedly fired two shots in the air. The subject got in his car and points a (reportedly loaded) assault rifle in the brother's face (which may or may not have been a Operation Fast and Furious weapon), and the brother discharged his weapon.

He always kept it together when on camera with Spoony, but for obvious reasons, neither him nor Spoony ever, ever brought this up.

Spoony was fired from Channel Awesome years before he went insane.

Yes and no; the comment that Spoony said about JesuOtaku caused a bit of a meltdown once Lupa also made a comment on it about a month later. Spoony legit did completely spiral out of control and have a complete meltdown on twitter after Lupa's comment and he was suspended probably a day later. I only remember this because I read the Something Awful "Spoonywatch 2012" thread while this was happening in real time. Despite initially agreeing with the suspension, Spoony's meltdown actually gets worse (and people like LordKat started airing their dirty laundry), and he gets officially terminated a few days later.

He had a period where he said he was getting correct counseling and treatment, tried to keep him up to a work schedule, and was still in close contact with a lot of Channel Awesome people like Cinema Snob, Joe, Linkara, and Doug. Seemed like he was about to bounce back especially after his Ultima Retrospective. But... well, he starts procrastinating and spends 99% of his time on twitter, well... He currently doesn't come across as "insane" as opposed to a little bit of an asshole given his attempts to stream in recent years.

Uzumaki Goku

Well...

The first thing you need to know about this story and his brother is that his direct boss was Joe Arpaio.

There are still stories of it up, but what happened was that his brother was trying to apprehend a subject because said subject got into a domestic dispute and allegedly fired two shots in the air. The subject got in his car and points a (reportedly loaded) assault rifle in the brother's face (which may or may not have been a Operation Fast and Furious weapon), and the brother discharged his weapon.

He always kept it together when on camera with Spoony, but for obvious reasons, neither him nor Spoony ever, ever brought this up.

Yes and no; the comment that Spoony said about JesuOtaku caused a bit of a meltdown once Lupa also made a comment on it about a month later. Spoony legit did completely spiral out of control and have a complete meltdown on twitter after Lupa's comment and he was suspended probably a day later. I only remember this because I read the Something Awful "Spoonywatch 2012" thread while this was happening in real time. Despite initially agreeing with the suspension, Spoony's meltdown actually gets worse (and people like LordKat started airing their dirty laundry), and he gets officially terminated a few days later.

He had a period where he said he was getting correct counseling and treatment, tried to keep him up to a work schedule, and was still in close contact with a lot of Channel Awesome people like Cinema Snob, Joe, Linkara, and Doug. Seemed like he was about to bounce back especially after his Ultima Retrospective. But... well, he starts procrastinating and spends 99% of his time on twitter, well... He currently doesn't come across as "insane" as opposed to a little bit of an asshole given his attempts to stream in recent years.

Yeah, I saw that clip of him going "Don't tell me how to play" It's like... geez man, calm down.

Although yeah... LordKat said some pretty awful things... like "Go to your brother's room and kill yourself" Which was just horrible.

They crawled up their own asses trying to do skits and movies to celebrate themselves. That's when I lost interest. Also I think I kinda aged out of it... When they became "nostalgic" for things that I was already too old for when they were new (like Power Rangers), the whole thing lost its appeal.
This was the main thing, I swear the skits were actually lasting longer than the actual review part of the reviews

Only ever watched NC, because the other stuff was mostly bad. I remember they had some anime/manga show before and it was cringestuff. Like total casual weebs talked about anime..

I used to see the occasional video by Cinema Snob, but for the most part, I watched for Spoony's video game reviews, NC, and Lindsay Ellis.

Spoony hasn't done anything of interest to me in the back half of a decade. Lindsay I still subscribe to via Patreon and she's still doing stellar work as she mostly always has.

And, I just gave up on NC after he started reviewing new movies. If I want good analysis of current films, I can go elsewhere, and the videos aren't funny enough to be worth watching on their own. The reason I liked his show was that he reviewed actual old stuff that I had forgotten or actually had nostalgia for. Like, I'd rather see him do a video on Prehysteria! and stuff like that then be yet another person doing something on Suicide Squad (with nothing new or insightful to say about the film).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I still really enjoy and am subscribed to Lindsay Ellis, Brad Jones, Channel Awesome for Doug and Tamara stuff and Todd in the Shadows.

I seem to watch more of Brads food/drink stuff than his actual movie reviews including his midnight screenings. But I still really like watching his midnight stuff as long as it's a movie I might enjoy a review of and I have time.

Lindsay is always great. She's really smart about shit and was always more thorough than Doug when she did reviews back in the gay.

But Doug is great when he just talks about a movie with his brother. And his NC stuff just got better when they came back and started doing skits. I love Malcom and Tamara.

And I love watching Tamara's Never Seen. Good to get a fresh take on old movies to see if they can still hold up. Shame for her she has apparently never watched a single movie as a child. But it benefits us.

Todd is great with his music reviews. I mainly prefer the One Hit Wonderland episodes since it's usually a song I've actually heard.

I'm just glad it's all accessible from YouTube and I don't even have to touch their terrible site anymore. Blips death was somewhat of a good thing if you ask me.

I still like Nostalgia Critic and seeing Doug and his brothers real thoughts on movies. Tamara is a cutie and her videos are fun, it's interesting to see the perspective of someone watching a movie for the first time.

Kin5290

Looks like awful site mismanagement, Doug being a dumbass, the collapse of Blip and the advent of Patreon all contributed in the site's downfall.

I never was a huge fan of Nostalgia Critic, and post-return Critic with all of his awful skits was even worse. I caught one of his videos the other day and found the fact that he was still waving around a toy gun in his title sequence in the year of our lord 2017 to be utterly cringeworthy.

Still follow Lindsay, who's putting in some very good work, Todd, Kyle, and occasionally watch Brad for movie reviews.

I remember checking their website regularly shortly before their first anniversary video. Spoony, Doug, Linkara and co. were killin' it back then with content.

At some point they decided to hire basically anyone with a camera and let them join the crew which I think was a mistake. On top of that you have Nostalgia Critic quitting his show for awhile because he had grander plans (which failed), Spoony imploding and BLIP closing down which really screwed them over.

They also ran an indiegogo which was to help them fund new big shows. The show we got was a horrible gameshow that looks like it took a couple hundred bucks to make. They raised almost $90,000

You also have some statements from previous members of the site claiming Mike Michaud was a horrible boss. Stories about being fired from Channel Awesome because they took longer than 10 minutes to respond on Skype ect. Sounds like it wasn't managed well. There's also the feuds that happened with Spoony, LordKat and others and it's just a mess. Too much dirty laundry that the whole world got to see.

Looking at more current content from Nostalgia Critic is clear that YouTube has really hit the show hard. He's covering really new movies (which kinda isn't the point of 'nostalgia critic') and does more mediocre skits and less movie riffing. Clearly combating YouTube's copyright system has damaged the show and made it into something that isn't the show people tuned into years ago.

At this point Nostalgia Critic reminds me more of Bob Chipman's "Game Overthinker" show. More focus on painfully awful skits and less on good critique and content.

Jims

Wasn't there a lot of unpleasantness over the anniversary movies? I recall a lot of stuff really going down around when they filmed "To Boldly Flee." I may be wrong about it, but I feel like it was a scenario where certain people were contractually obligated to appear... Or the people that did get invited to be in it didn't really get compensated or have much of their travel expenses reimbursed. And they were making money off of the DVD sales of the production, which rubbed people the wrong way? I could be wrong about the scenario, but I heard "To Boldly Flee" had problems. The loss of viewership over Nostalgia Critic ending made a lot of those internal problems bubble up to the top.

They always had problems with promotions on their site and people feeling like the featured reviewer rotation was never fair. People's videos would always be in the bottom of the queue and stuff like that.

I was falling out of the site in general after the Nostalgia Critic came back with the skits (gave him a year), but the whole gameshow debacle really grossed me out and made me quit permanently. They spent all that money buying their own studio space, but their website was still hot garbage, and then they were fundraising money to create a game show that they couldn't get off the ground. It kinda felt like they were being irresponsible with their money, and it was coming out of the pockets of their fans. I feel like, if you're going to accept donations, you have an even higher responsibility to get the product right.

Still watch Todd and Lindsay. I think a clean break for Lindsay has really let her shine more and do the in-depth film stuff that she excels at. Her series on the Michael Bay "Transformers" films has been fantastic so far. If you're interested in how films work or why they feel the way they do, they're a great, detailed breakdown of the concepts.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's weird that Channel Awesome turned into a ball of internet drama and imploded. How does that happen from a company that just makes videos poking fun of movies.

I don't mind NC, skits don't bother me. Anime Abandon surprisingly caught my interest, since I'm more of an old school otaku at heart and his reviews are always entertaining.

Shame about Spoony, his FF reviews were great. Depression is a bitch.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I can't speak to the channel currently (as I have no idea what the hell they do now), but I remember reading on gaf a couple of years ago about how Doug was going to stop being the NC because he wanted to move on to bigger and better things. Unfortunately, what Doug and many others like him, failed to realize was that just because people like you in one setting doesn't mean they'll like you in another. Unsurprisingly, his new dreams crashed and burned and he was forced to slink his way back to being the NC.

I mean, I don't want to laugh at the guy for what happened. I mean, we all have our dreams (like Luffy) but he totally misjudged the hold that he had on his audience.

yeah it is thankfully.

Appropriately titled too.

What the fuck was that? And they got the Cinema Snob to host too? Is this like a human version of the "sent to die" meme?

edit: and it supposedly cost $90k to make? What the hell did they do with the other $89,950?

Lagamorph

The sooner Tamara is dropped from Nostalgia Critic the better. She's improved since her early appearances, but she's still a detriment to virtually every sketch she features in.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
(And many of them haven't had very positive things to see about their time there.).

I need to know all the stories! Link me!

I was following Linkara for quite a while despite me hating his stupid persona, hat and all, as well as his incredibly cringey "storylines", just because I liked talk about comics.

Then I found ComicPop on Youtube (or TV Little House, as it was called back then), and never looked back. Cool guys and a smart girl talking actual interesting stuff about recent or huge comics. No silly stories, no weird "m'lady"-implying bullshit, just fun talks. That also brought me to ComicEexplained and ComicStorian for Story recaps and catching up, and that's covered all my comic video needs.

He should have stopped his silly persona shtick bullshit and just honestly talked about comics, and probably get out of CA.

Murkas

Looking back over the years you notice Spoony was always a massive asshole.

Just remembered his man screaming over the B-tier developers that made that TV show fighting game (Deadliest Warrior I think?).

The drama explosion just highlighted it all for everyone to see.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
There's really only two shows on Channel Awesome I watch.

Nostalgia Critic
Todd in the Shadows (and pretty much only One Hit Wonderland)

I'll sometimes watch CInema Snob's midnight screenings, but rarely.

I also watch SFDebris, but I was watching him long before he started posting episodes on there.

Linday Ellis is great and I liked her as the Nostalgia Chick, and even more so now that she's moved on. The quality between her and Doug is really, really apparent when they both do the same or similar projects. The coincidence of them both recently doing videos on Disney Villains really shows that.

Lindsay Ellis is one of the smartest film critics I've ever read and seen and it's a shame she was put on with the "Nostalgia Chick" moniker.

I still watch the occasional Nostalgia Critic and Linkara video if I find the topic interesting.

I think the big thing is the closure of blip and exodus of contributors played a big role in the community shrinking. With everyone on youtube and having their own patreon, it's back to just supporting whoever you find the most interesting. The fact that they don't do anniversary vids anymore either also comes into play.

Linday Ellis is great and I liked her as the Nostalgia Chick, and even more so now that she's moved on. The quality between her and Doug is really, really apparent when they both do the same or similar projects. The coincidence of them both recently doing videos on Disney Villains really shows that.

Helps that Lindsay actually has a academic background in film.

He didn't really work with Channel Awesome again though after his Lupa comments though because he left the site. He basically made videos on his own for a few years before the recent "laziness". The Bloodrayne episode was essentially seen as his return to Channel Awesome, and he still wasn't welcomed back as a "regular".

Thanks for the information though. As a former fan, Spoony's meltdown was frustrating to watch.

Lindsay Ellis is one of the smartest film critics I've ever read and seen and it's a shame she was put on with the "Nostalgia Chick" moniker.

If it wasn't for her getting picked to be the "nostalgic chick" at the time, we probably wouldn't even be talking about her though.

But yeah, she's great. I really enjoy her recent film essays, and loose-cannon videos.

I need to know all the stories! Link me!

I was following Linkara for quite a while despite me hating his stupid persona, hat and all, as well as his incredibly cringey "storylines", just because I liked talk about comics.

Then I found ComicPop on Youtube (or TV Little House, as it was called back then), and never looked back. Cool guys and a smart girl talking actual interesting stuff about recent or huge comics. No silly stories, no weird "m'lady"-implying bullshit, just fun talks. That also brought me to ComicEexplained and ComicStorian for Story recaps and catching up, and that's covered all my comic video needs.

He should have stopped his silly persona shtick bullshit and just honestly talked about comics, and probably get out of CA.

Linkara hasn't done storylines since the ATF4W film. These days he just does regular single episode with gags and all.

Plus he still makes videos on a weekly basis. His current events comics month is something I'm enjoying quite a bit, for example.

JSoup

Banned

Didn't he also cause some guy to not get a dream job in the industry by acting like a total wad at E3?

Linkara hasn't done storylines since the ATF4W film. These days he just does regular single episode with gags and all.

What do you mean? He's been doing the return of Lord Vyce with the chess set, wreck of Comicron-1, and missing '90s Kid.

Oh, and Spoony was awesome too. I loved his FMV Hell videos, VHS board game reviews, Let's Play Phantasmagoria 2, and Ultimate Retrospective.

What do you mean? He's been doing the return of Lord Vyce with the chess set, wreck of Comicron-1, and missing '90s Kid.

Oh, and Spoony was awesome too. I loved his FMV Hell videos, VHS board game reviews, Let's Play Phantasmagoria 2, and Ultimate Retrospective.

All of that stuff was in the past year though, and it's been a while. 90's Kid finally returned for a gag, and he sometimes ends his videos with a joke and that's it. I imagine you haven't watched AT4W in a while. Linkara hasn't done a real storyline as of late.

Top Bottom